Jump to content

Recommended Posts

People have always complained about the CR, but I believe until recently there has always been some small amount of productive discussion along with some variety in the viewpoints shared.  However, now i'm afraid it truly has become the unrelenting, hysterical circle-jerk of which it so often has been accused.  It is nigh impossible to post in the forum without sharing the pedestrian "socially liberal but economically conservative" viewpoint shared by the CR postariat.  To do so, irrespective of your own beliefs or positions, is to brand yourself a "fascist" or even a "Nazi supporter" resulting in your eventual crowd-source banning.  There is as much use reasoning with these people as there is reasoning with a stampede of feral hogs.

What is to be done with this place?  Why even allow negging in the CR when it's used wantonly to ban anyone with a different viewpoint, no matter what that viewpoint is?  

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Lol since when is the CR economically conservative?

They are for the most part centrists so they would be to the left of Von Mises but to the right of the New Dealers and maybe even Nixon.  It's on "social issues" where their liberal streak shines.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, HillaryFan420 said:

They are for the most part centrists so they would be to the left of Von Mises but to the right of the New Dealers and maybe even Nixon.  It's on "social issues" where their liberal streak shines.  

You think the CR is centrist? I'm not sure we're talking about the same board. 

  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Helobious said:

If you don’t like what it’s become, why visit or post there? 

I refrained from visiting it for the most part but I'm interested in politics so it can be hard to stay away completely.  Even then, a handful of posts in a single thread that they interpret as not being supportive of their team can result in hundreds of negs.  Some of the more insane posters will even pull up your entire posting history so they can neg posts that have nothing to do with the topic that triggered them in the first place. 

 

As an example, arguing that we shouldn't celebrate the deaths of the handful of wingnuts who died at the Capitol the other day will get you neg bombed.  These people have some of the blandest politics imaginable but at the same time are viscously tribal and  monomaniacal in rooting out and exterminating the perceived enemy.  

  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2021 at 8:54 AM, HillaryFan420 said:

I refrained from visiting it for the most part but I'm interested in politics so it can be hard to stay away completely.  Even then, a handful of posts in a single thread that they interpret as not being supportive of their team can result in hundreds of negs.  Some of the more insane posters will even pull up your entire posting history so they can neg posts that have nothing to do with the topic that triggered them in the first place. 

 

As an example, arguing that we shouldn't celebrate the deaths of the handful of wingnuts who died at the Capitol the other day will get you neg bombed.  These people have some of the blandest politics imaginable but at the same time are viscously tribal and  monomaniacal in rooting out and exterminating the perceived enemy.  

Do some more both-sidesing so you can equate an armed insurrection with protests in the street. Go ahead, we'll wait.

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't even know Fozz got crowdsourced. That's pretty lame. Some of his takes were stupid but he at least introduced some different opinions that could be good conversation starters.

I agree with the no negs in the CR proposal too.

But Fozz, your posts under this HillaryFan420 alias have been worthless as shit and low effort. 

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2021 at 9:42 AM, capnamerca said:

Do some more both-sidesing so you can equate an armed insurrection with protests in the street. Go ahead, we'll wait.

Please show me where I did that.  I mainly argued that at no point was there ever a risk of our government being toppled or a civil war breaking out, even if a hostage situation were to arise.  This episode was about as threatening to our "democracy" as the shooting of Steve Scalise, which is to say it wasn't.  

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2021 at 6:13 PM, cactusflinthead said:

laughter laughing GIF

I know that you're proud of how you and the others acted in that thread.  That doesn't surprise me at all.  There is an authoritarian streak in liberals as much as there is in conservatives, the difference being the identity of the out group.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no great liberal contingent or conspiracy in CR - It's actually majority GOP or former GOP voters with the DEM contingent being a pretty clear minority. It follows very closely to the mix of Texas Politics.

What you are seeing is people who have brains, and balls call you out for stupid shit and neg you when you don't participate in any conversation that is based in fact or merit.

We have had MANY posters come in and actually get tons of pos rep for giving their views even though many people disagreed with them (especially in the days post election). 

If you go into CR and MAGA this and MAGA that and say that the election was stolen and then the supporting documentation you provide is a bunch of q anon conspiracy theory bullshit and nothing that is founded in fact then you are going to get flamed and negged.

I don't understand why this is hard to fucking understand.

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

everyone on both sides hates bad_teammate and he still posts there

He at least substantiates his position rationally and methodically. People disagree with him on many issues, but he is actually one of the posters that I think has had a lot of influence in the CR about giving alternative viable vantage points on some key issues. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2021 at 4:10 PM, immamac said:

He at least substantiates his position rationally and methodically. People disagree with him on many issues, but he is actually one of the posters that I think has had a lot of influence in the CR about giving alternative viable vantage points on some key issues. 

The reason that BC has not been crowd sourced is because, although he differs from many of the posters in the CR, he is at heart a democrat.  For that reason he does not question or mock many of the CR shibboleths no matter how absurd they may be, such as the fatuous idea that Trump conspired with Putin during the 2016 election or that Trump is akin to Hitler or Mussolini in his authoritarianism.  If you question those things are you deemed to be a Trumper and thus must be crowd sourced no matter what your actual politics are.  Indeed, I was called a Nazi for arguing that we shouldn't celebrate the deaths of the idiot protestors who stormed the Capitol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, immamac said:

That's not true and you know it. 

These posts were made in response to my post below in the bottom link:

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/18467-the-us-capitol-has-been-breached-action-and-developing-stories/&do=findComment&comment=2951959

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/18467-the-us-capitol-has-been-breached-action-and-developing-stories/&do=findComment&comment=2951993

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/18467-the-us-capitol-has-been-breached-action-and-developing-stories/&do=findComment&comment=2951920

Within the CR, if you believe it's vile to make the morbid comments Chu made then you are a "Nazi supporter" who should be censored from the board.  It's one thing to throw that term around glibly on the internet as has always been done, but I don't see why posters should be banned for innocuous posts (certainly far less histrionic than calling random people on the internet Nazi supporters) because they are deemed to be in support of the wrong tribe even when that's not even what's going on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...