Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

Texas fans are going to run off the athletic director that hires great coaches because they're so stupid and can't figure out the real problem with football. 

So dumb.

I said this on the football board but I hope Del Conte flames the fuck out of us if he gets fired. Straight up blast Texas with "I wasn't even allowed to hire the football coach at that dumpster fire. Now check out my hires in the other sports." 

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

Great win! Vic and this team saved the weekend! Drinks all around!

Seriously, this is a gritty team. Rori is unbelievable. 

21 points in her second game on the road at the defending champs. It’s been a long time since we had someone like Brooke at Pg who wanted to score 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Couldn't understand why Texas was ranked so low. It's women's basketball. If you have a top 5 coach you're going to be a top 10 team basically every year. 

Tons of new faces and we were very up and down last year until the tournament.

Year 2 though with Scahefer's culture in place with some players. I actually expect the timeline to be very similar with Beard. Some ups and downs in year 1, good showing in the tournament, but year 2 is where things really start get rolling. 

13 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Indeed, the lady Horns basketball team winning salvaged the weekend from total misery. Great fight by those ladies. This team has potential to be special. @ Tennessee and @ aggy still to come. 

And Arizona who beat #6 Louisville 

9 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Tons of new faces and we were very up and down last year until the tournament.

Year 2 though with Scahefer's culture in place with some players. I actually expect the timeline to be very similar with Beard. Some ups and downs in year 1, good showing in the tournament, but year 2 is where things really start get rolling. 

Yep we lost Taylor, Lambert, Collier and some role players. Voters were in wait and see mode 

24 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Indeed, the lady Horns basketball team winning salvaged the weekend from total misery. Great fight by those ladies. This team has potential to be special. @ Tennessee and @ aggy still to come. 

The football and soccer losses sucked. 

The men's basketball loss went about as expected. A ton of new faces on the road in year 1 of a new coach against a team that will likely win that national title. That Gonzaga team is about as loaded as it gets. I think Timme and Holmgren might be the best players in the country and they're in the same frontcourt. This had disaster written all over it and I bet the basketball team still ends up being very good by season's end. 

I think Stanford is the type team we play well against. Similar to Maryland. 

A team that can score and a bunch of skilled shooters. They're completely different than how we play so when they play a physical team that gets in your face it's a bit of a shock. 

Schaefer makes this football on a basketball court and you could tell Stanford was getting frustrated with it. 

Edited by texasstrong12

9 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think Stanford is the type team we play well against. Similar to Maryland. 

A team that can score and a bunch of skilled shooters. They're completely different than how we play so when they play a physical team that gets in your face it's a bit of a shock. 

Schaefer makes this football on a basketball court and you could tell Stanford was getting frustrated with it. 

35.4% shooting and 14.8% from three. Texas only took 7 long shots and made 4. There was a game plan and we stuck to it. FTs evened out - 23 for them, 15 for us. Forced 20 turnovers and only had 10! And we got out rebounded by 9. 

Stanford 10 blocks. Texas only 3 assists. 

Edited by Js1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

35.4% shooting and 14.8% from three. Texas only took 7 long shots and made 4. There was a game plan and we stuck to it. FTs evened out - 23 for them, 15 for us. Forced 20 turnovers and only had 10! And we got out rebounded by 9. 

Yeah, I think the front court will take some time to figure things out. Outside of Ebo we really have no experience at all in the front court. And all the FR/Gaston are more talented than her so not sure how much playing time she's going to get. 

Our best front court players are Gaston (injured most her FR year), Moore (FR), and Lattimore (FR). 

Vic is a reminder that: a) sometimes it takes a long time to get buy-in (basketball gets 5 months and a lot of games), b) bad losses happen in year 1 - I’m thinking of that overtime loss to OU where we blew a lead last year at home and the loss to Tech and c) portal and recruiting for year 2 makes a huge difference. 

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

It's mainly C I would say. 

Two 5 stars won the game for us today (Harmon and Matharu). 

Matharu was a Vic kid originally - she already knows the expectations. We don’t win this game today with Collier - she was the epitome of Karen’s soft regime. JAT, Gaston, Warren are all in year 2 of Vic’s system.

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Matharu was a Vic kid originally - she already knows the expectations. We don’t win this game today with Collier - she was the epitome of Karen’s soft regime. JAT, Gaston, Warren are all in year 2 of Vic’s system.

I think we win today with Collier the issue is outside of her recruiting kind of fell off under Aston. 

Celeste was a 5 star but I never really saw that from her. Good player but not a 5 star caliber recruit IMO. Hunter, Matharu and Harmon all scream 5 stars to me in the backcourt but it's still early. 

Somebody like Allen-Taylor has figured out how to work in Vic's system but she can't sniff the talent of those young players. Reality is, we're extremely talented now. Last year we were kind of talented with a good coach. 

28 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Also to add, Stanford was planning on celebrating their 2021 title right after 🤣

Ha! They should have done it Thursday but I guess they wanted the Sunday crowd. "After we beat Texas we will celebrate our...."  Ooops. 😄

I love watching this team but I cringe every time Warren goes down. Never seen a player hit the floor as hard and often as she does. I just hope this is not affecting her long term.

43 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Warren is hilarious to watch. She got under the skin of a couple Stanford players today. 

She really isn't talented at all but she knows her game. Somebody is eventually going to take a swing at Warren late in the game and cost their team a win.  

My ref boss is head of refs for the big 12. (My other ref boss is head of the SEC.). B12 boss told us last summer Warren is the most difficult player to referee in the history of WBB, and that includes Griner.  

• Haha 4