True Crime Obsession (Podcasts, Youtube, Books)

Doc Reeves

So i know a lot of us enjoy true crime stories, pods and books. I happen to have a family which has a branch of investigators and g-men who have regaled me with wild stories as a kid when i had the chance to listen and while the Fletch-style phony suicide lawyer drama is unfolding I’ve learned about a bunch of badass books and stories I wasn’t aware of, so thought it migh be good to have at read where we could dump interesting pods or YouTube explainers of interesting storied that might spark interest

Right now I’ve been hitting up the YouTube hybrid explainers like ThatChapter, Coffeehouse Crime and the video versions of the podcast Casual Criminalist. This are cool because they have both some commentary and also a broad overview of facts with interrogation vids, body cam vide etc. 

One I’m probably going to get some more info on…

Edited by Doc Reeves
  • Hook 'Em 3

I’m also all over that Gabby Petino’s story. Police probably tricked fiancé that they knew more than they did. If he could have kept his mouth shut and and just hunkered down in isolation for the next 18months he would’ve gotten away with everything. They’ll never find her body without him IMO

https://people.com/crime/brian-laundrie-fiance-of-gabby-petito-has-gone-missing-his-attorney-says/

4 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

I’m also all over that Gabby Petino’s story. Police probably tricked fiancé that they knew more than they did. If he could have kept his mouth shut and and just hunkered down in isolation for the next 18months he would’ve gotten away with everything. They’ll never find her body without him IMO

https://people.com/crime/brian-laundrie-fiance-of-gabby-petito-has-gone-missing-his-attorney-says/

This should be its own thread.  I’ve been following it as well. Pretty interesting story. The body cam of the cops that stopped them on their trip clearly shows they were having some relationship issues. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, EuroHorn said:

This should be its own thread.  I’ve been following it as well. Pretty interesting story. The body cam of the cops that stopped them on their trip clearly shows they were having some relationship issues. 

Right on. I believe I read the officers in Utah classified that as a “psychiatric issue” 

3 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Right on. I believe I read the officers in Utah classified that as a “psychiatric issue” 

Seems like she was close to being arrested for domestic violence. All signs are pointing to him having done something.  Although she could have just left on her own

5 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

Damn. So what’s the theory now? They killed the lesbians in Utah, accidentally maybe. Young hot thing probably said she was going to tell, and fiancé kills her? Now he has fled

maybe? Definitely needs its own thread 

16 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Damn. So what’s the theory now? They killed the lesbians in Utah, accidentally maybe. Young hot thing probably said she was going to tell, and fiancé kills her? Now he has fled

maybe? Definitely needs its own thread 

ruled out any connection to the lesbian couple that hat was murdered 

I'm a huge true crime fan. That's practically all I listen to at work is their podcasts and I watch some of the same YouTube channel videos posted above. I also stumbled upon this guy's videos and although not all of it is true crime (some paranormal and other tragic tales) he's a great storyteller:

https://www.youtube.com/c/MrBallen/videos 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just in case y'all don't see it, body found, guess it's her:

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/21938-Gabby-Petito-case---Dude-comes-back-from-couple's-cross-country-road-trip;-she's-missing,-he's-silent#entry3632767
  • Hook 'Em 1

Since this is an awesome true crime outlet...

Rachel Cooke went missing on a run in January 2002 and has not been seen since. I just wanted to put this out there as the police "feel" like they are making progress.\

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/tx/austin/news/2021/01/11/william-co--sheriff-s-office-pursuing-person-of-interest-in-rachel-cooke-disappearance-

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/18/2021 at 12:07 PM, Doc Reeves said:

Welp. 

Finding bodies without a confession is not ideal. Having been a part of a search party I can say, it is depressing/hopeful because you think you will find something that will give the family closure. Which is a shit word. Closure is a shit word. I would like to say you will hopefully give them a relief from the night terrors they have thinking their loved one is still alive. All you want to do is help them to know that their loved one is not out there so they can deal with that.  I hope he never knows a moments peace. May the hounds of hell find him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I was all over true crime that happened local to texas and austin. Henry Lee Lucas, Military academy cadet murder, yogurt shop, kenneth mcduf (colleen reed, lake waco murders), christopher hatton murdered by yellow rose stripper stephanie lynn Martin, KBVO Steve Beard murder by new wife; jennifer cave, austin hs adopted kid kills jeweler father, so many more
Some in books that were pretty good reads.
Worked a cold case up in Georgetown that ended with a dna swab pop on a suspect that confessed after 20 years. Amazing tidbit was the original crime profiler had nailed the perps age, race and fam life (but was discounted at the time as it was a new science).
Wells branch serial rapist case.
I also worked on the rachel cooke case that 1 will haunt me. Hope whats left of her family cann1 day get closure. Id heard they were close to a break but not sure id that was just ex sheriff chidy tryin ti drum up vites for failed reelection. No true clues just poof and she was gone… sad deal.
Worked a lot of terrible cases up in Wilco. Used to be small so wed all tag team cases, local, county, texas rangers etc.. Cops take a beating on here so usually dont mention my prior stuff much.
Shoot, now im rambling.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, deadshank said:

While in long drives, I frequent Small Town Murder on Spotify.  

Two comedians recounting random murders that occur in, uh, you guessed it, small towns.  They’re fairly humorous and actually out in a good amount of research for the episodes. 

Different strokes I guess, but I hated that one. Those two chucklefucks reminded me of two really bad radio DJ's trying to out yuck-yuck eachother. 

• 3 weeks later...

Jelani Day had a bad one. Missing Illinois State student found a mess without teeth or organs

https://news.yahoo.com/questions-surrounding-death-jelani-day-180757462.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/crime/jelani-day-body-organs-missing-b1936733.html

Edited by Doc Reeves

Wtf

According to the article, Day’s corpse had no eyeballs, was missing its front top and bottom teeth, and after a second autopsy by a private forensic pathologist it was determined that his jawbone had been “sawed out.”

Reportedly, his organs were liquefied and his body had suffered bites from fish and turtles. Fountain points out that Carmen Bolden Day never saw her son’s remains. Jelani’s grandmother and one of his brothers viewed his body before his closed casket funeral

13 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

7 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Wtf

End of the article said there was some autopsy confusion and that he actually wasn’t missing any organs. Probably still was murdered though. 

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I keep thinking about these two cases in our backyard. Both unsolved:

03-14-1999 Sonya Wallace, Hispanic Female, b. 5-4-83, Homicide
Sonya Wallace was found deceased in Williamson County, on March 14, 1999, after disappearing a month earlier near her home in Rockdale, Texas. Sonya Wallace lived near the post office, four blocks from her family’s home in Rockdale, Texas. When Sonya, 15, left home on the afternoon of February 19, 1999, to go mail a letter, her family expected her back shortly. Sonya never returned. On March 14, 1999 a civilian contacted the Williamson County Sheriff’s Office in reference to a body he found just off of County Road 490 about one mile west of FM 619 near Coupland Texas. The body was identified as Sonya Wallace from Taylor Texas. Manner of death is Homicide.

01-10-2002 Rachel Louise Cooke, White Female, b. 5-10-82, Missing Person
On January 10th 2002 at about 9:30am, Rachel Cooke, 19-year-old female, left her home in Georgetown Texas, to go for a run. Rachel never returned home. She was reported missing and since suspected homicide. She was attending college in California but was home for the Christmas holiday break. On January 11, 2002 at about 3:00pm, Rachel’s parents Robert and Janet Cooke reported Rachel missing to the Williamson County Sheriff’s Office. Since then, a dedicated and focused team of investigators have investigated over 1400 tips and continue to investigate new leads as they come in.
—————————-

I had never heard about Sonya Wallace until two weeks ago. Rachel I had always heard about because I was in college at the same time. It’s just really frustrating there is nothing to tell their families. I think Rachel’s father passed from cancer a while ago. I find it hard to believe two beautiful women doing normal everyday things go missing/murdered and after all this time nothing from Williamson county. Either you have suspects or you don’t. In Rachel’s case there likely won’t be a body. In Sonya’s case there is. I have no faith in Williamson County Police so I wonder if they actually have suspects or give a fuck.