Jump to content
skipperj

Time to visit Waco

Recommended Posts

It's going to be impressive when BU has 55,000 fans with a capacity of 45,140 coming off of a 1-11 season where BU averaged 43,840. 

 

Seriously, Waco has seen a RELATIVELY huge uptick in tourism with all this Chip and JoAnna crap. There has been some positives off that though with the zoo seeing Spring Break attendance up 28% on 2017 and there are enough people visiting to keep Balcones touring and tasting downtown, support 3 new local breweries, and countless new restaurants and businesses making downtown its most prosperous since the tornado.

 

Of course every time I get a bit proud of the progress we see something like the last 3 or 4 Saturdays where people are waiting an hour and a half to eat at Los Cucos. We'll see if we can sustain ourselves after the inevitable decline in popularity of the Fixer Upper Tourists.

Edited by SimonBolivar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

It's going to be impressive when BU has 55,000 fans with a capacity of 45,140 coming off of a 1-11 season where BU averaged 43,840. 

 

Seriously, Waco has seen a RELATIVELY huge uptick in tourism with all this Chip and JoAnna crap. There has been some positives off that though with the zoo seeing Spring Break attendance up 28% on 2017 and there are enough people visiting to keep Balcones touring and tasting downtown, support 3 new local breweries, and countless new restaurants and businesses making downtown its most prosperous since the tornado.

 

Of course every time I get a bit proud of the progress we see something like the last 3 or 4 Saturdays where people are waiting an hour and a half to eat at Los Cucos. We'll see if we can sustain ourselves after the inevitable decline in popularity of the Fixer Upper Tourists.

don't sell yourself short, the I-35 metropolis is the next great vast suburban sea in texas.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Fuck pappadeaux. The stories I have about working there..... fuck them forever.

Do tell, I'm sure there's good entertainment value. They're one of the busiest "seafood" places in AZ, I'm not a huge fan but won't turn down a free meal there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

It's going to be impressive when BU has 55,000 fans with a capacity of 45,140 coming off of a 1-11 season where BU averaged 43,840. 

 

Seriously, Waco has seen a RELATIVELY huge uptick in tourism with all this Chip and JoAnna crap. There has been some positives off that though with the zoo seeing Spring Break attendance up 28% on 2017 and there are enough people visiting to keep Balcones touring and tasting downtown, support 3 new local breweries, and countless new restaurants and businesses making downtown its most prosperous since the tornado.

 

Of course every time I get a bit proud of the progress we see something like the last 3 or 4 Saturdays where people are waiting an hour and a half to eat at Los Cucos. We'll see if we can sustain ourselves after the inevitable decline in popularity of the Fixer Upper Tourists.

fuck that...that's what happens on that side of town.  we had reservations at Milo All Day.

it's legit.  Cory did it right.

but i'm most looking forward to Guess Family BBQ and their side business Koko Ramen to brick and mortar this fall. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

fuck that...that's what happens on that side of town.  we had reservations at Milo All Day.

it's legit.  Cory did it right.

but i'm most looking forward to Guess Family BBQ and their side business Koko Ramen to brick and mortar this fall. 

 

 

I've been watching construction of Milo All Day every time we've visited Alpha Omega. I made a reservation for tomorrow night to give it a shot (OpenTable in Waco...wtf). Guess used to show up at Bare Arms (not a bad brewery) which made for a kickass combination. Is there an eta on the brick and mortar?

Edited by SimonBolivar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SimonBolivar said:

I've been watching construction of Milo All Day every time we've visited Alpha Omega. I need to get over there soon and try it out. Guess used to show up at Bare Arms (not a bad brewery) which made for a kickass combination. Is there an eta on the brick and mortar?

i hear early this fall.  DV put them in the top 50...rightfully so.  they also own Koko Ramen and have a truck behind the Dancing Bear.  Reid sends over rib meat, brisket and pork to use in the ramen.  makes for an unbelievable tonkatsu. 

Barnette's prix fixe Friday menu with guest chefs has been on point lately, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, elfenix said:

don't sell yourself short, the I-35 metropolis is the next great vast suburban sea in texas.  

It's headed that way and the people in Waco can't drive to save their life now.  There's some decent traffic infrastructure in some areas and it will be a cluster in others once another 15-20K move into the Woodway Hewitt area.  Housing prices climbing steadily but still much cheaper than the four big metro areas. People that are done with traffic and unfettered growth are moving into Waco. It's an hour from North Austin and South DFW so accessibility is pretty easy on I-35.  The football team at Baylor has apparently stopped raping people. 

 

12 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

've been watching construction of Milo All Day every time we've visited Alpha Omega.

At least people are realizing there's better food than established crap that's been in Waco for the last 20 years.  Hopefully Cory pays his bills and follows through on things he has a pattern of not doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Newdoc said:

There's some decent traffic infrastructure in some areas and it will be a cluster in others once another 15-20K move into the Woodway Hewitt area.  

I live off Chapel and Hewitt Drive is already an annoyance and they keep on building. I need to look into downtown before it becomes unreasonable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SimonBolivar said:

I live off Chapel and Hewitt Drive is already an annoyance and they keep on building. I need to look into downtown before it becomes unreasonable. 

if i don't remain on the lake, that's where i'm probably headed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, skipperj said:

I’m disappointed they didn’t mention that you can get free beer by thieving while tailgating.

ETBF required though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2018 at 9:41 PM, skipperj said:

1c5fab6b9e0f2daad6997f43ae505351.jpg

Cheer the home team to victory? This obviously wasn't written during the 2017 season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

I live off Chapel and Hewitt Drive is already an annoyance and they keep on building. I need to look into downtown before it becomes unreasonable. 

Right there with you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

I live off Chapel and Hewitt Drive is already an annoyance and they keep on building. I need to look into downtown before it becomes unreasonable. 

Ritchie Rd here. Folks built this house in 1970. Hewitt before that, 1963. I think Hewitt was around 300 people then. Seen a few small changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2018 at 11:10 PM, Longboard Horn said:

Fuck pappadeaux. The stories I have about working there..... fuck them forever.

 

Agreed.

A few years ago, Pappadeaux had a oyster special at like $4/dz and we hit em up a few times. Other than that I never go. But I was standing in line at Phoenicia Market here in Houston and a dude in a P'deaux jacket was in line behind me, (there's a P'deaux in the same parking lot).

He had a large jar of LemonPepper seasoning. I laughed and said it must be nice having Phoenicia so close, (if you've never been, you should!). He said yeah it was. I asked him about his job and he said he loved it. He said they had given him an opportunity and he really appreciated the company. He was obviously very sincere about it.

So where did you work and why did you hate it? I would love to know.

Here's your thread.

Edited by DoobieWah
fixinit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DougO said:

Cheer the home team to victory? This obviously wasn't written during the 2017 season.

Well, if you read it carefully you'll notice it is talking about McClane Stadium, wherever that is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Liteitup said:

Ritchie Rd here. Folks built this house in 1970. Hewitt before that, 1963. I think Hewitt was around 300 people then. Seen a few small changes.

There was just a 2 lane road past the KofC Hall and that was out in the country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DoobieWah said:

 

Agreed.

A few years ago, Pappadeaux had a oyster special at like $4/dz and we hit em up a few times. Other than that I never go. But I was standing in line at Phoenicia Market here in Houston and a dude in a P'deaux jacket was in line behind me, (there's a P'deaux in the same parking lot).

He had a large jar of LemonPepper seasoning. I laughed and said it must be nice having Phoenicia so close, (if you've never been, you should!). He said yeah it was. I asked him about his job and he said he loved it. He said they had given him an opportunity and he really appreciated the company. He was obviously very sincere about it.

So where did you work and why did you hate it? I would love to know.

Here's your thread.

I’m laughing at the fact that you created a thread for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Will be in Mexico City instead, but I did have some Brotherwell at Cricket's and it's pretty good.

I've had their whole lineup.  Damn good stuff.  The India Brown Ale and the Porter are delicious.  The Wit and Pale Ale are absolutely legit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I've had their whole lineup.  Damn good stuff.  The India Brown Ale and the Porter are delicious.  The Wit and Pale Ale are absolutely legit. 

I had the Porter and thought it was a bit under Bare Arms' Porter, but I was impressed with both of them. Has Waco Ale Co put anything out yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, and if you just have to get your Nuge on, he'll be playing at Tucker's Hall this weekend but I don't remember the date. Johnny Big is playing bass for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I'll give Waco this...their zoo is better than Austin's.  

Texas is such a great zoo state with San Antonio, Ft Worth, Dallas, Houston, Tyler, and Waco. I'm surprised Austin isn't stepping it up.

Edited by SimonBolivar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, skipperj said:

Austin’s zoo is a rescue operation that charges admission to fund their efforts.

Ah, so is there no city involvement? Seems like a good cause.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Correct. It’s a non-profit. It has just gradually grown. Most of their lions and tigers were “pets” confiscated from drug dealers and such.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cant wait to try Milo. Maybe next week. Excited about Brotherwell. I like Bare Arms.  There actual rootbeer is pretty good.  I like the pizza truck they had outside the last time i was there.  Cant remember the name.

 

I cant wait for Guess to open too.  We need a really good bbq place.  Trying Coach smoke this weekend but i dont have high hopes.

We were driving back from Cameron Park today ( i love that park) on Washington and there is a dozen old buildings that would make great restaurants spaces like Milo did.

Anybody do AirBnB here.  Wife and i have been thinking about investing in one of those 50k houses.  Maybe close to downtown or close to the coliseum.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, skipperj said:

Austin’s zoo is a rescue operation that charges admission to fund their efforts.

Is there a bike path out there and a bath house?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Post Oak said:

 

Anybody do AirBnB here.  

My dad has one off the loop that should be on there in the next couple months. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

I had the Porter and thought it was a bit under Bare Arms' Porter, but I was impressed with both of them. Has Waco Ale Co put anything out yet?

No they haven’t.  But he makes a killer IPA.  I’ve had his beer before 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so because of this thread, my SO and i met up with trey# this evening after work at a local watering hole (best selection of bourbons and whiskeys that i’ve ever seen). great guy and had a blast.

there’s at least one good guy in this town.

we should have a Surly/Shaggy happy hour at this particular establishment.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

so because of this thread, my SO and i met up with trey# this evening after work at a local watering hole (best selection of bourbons and whiskeys that i’ve ever seen). great guy and had a blast.

there’s at least one good guy in this town.

we should have a Surly/Shaggy happy hour at this particular establishment.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was absolutely a blast.  Can’t wait to grab some more cocktails with those adventurous and delicious craft bitters and aperitifs.  Greatness!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

so because of this thread, my SO and i met up with trey# this evening after work at a local watering hole (best selection of bourbons and whiskeys that i’ve ever seen). great guy and had a blast.

there’s at least one good guy in this town.

we should have a Surly/Shaggy happy hour at this particular establishment.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure any of you actually exist.

 

Seriously, might be nice to put faces with screen names. Might be awkward as hell too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...