2018 World Cup

DanTheHorn

1 hour ago, George Clooney said:

I'll be rooting for Switzerland. I started watching them in 2014, and I've followed them ever since. Their absolute ceiling is a quarterfinal appearance, but I'll be rooting for them nonetheless.

You are full of shit. 

Shit, I didn't realize that was posted, but ... whatever

Fox Sports is phoning in the World Cup.

https://deadspin.com/fox-sports-is-half-assing-the-world-cup-1825544146

Fox Sports said that eight of its 12 commentators for the 2018 World Cup matches are American and only four of them—the teams of John Strong and Stu Holden, and JP Dellacamera and Tony Meola—are actually going to physically be in Russia for the tournament. The rest—Aly Wagner and Derek Rae; Glenn Davis and Cobi Jones; Jorge Perez Navarro and Mariano Trujillo; Mark Followill and Warren Barton—will be watching and commentating from the Fox Sports studio in Los Angeles.

Citing an unnamed source, World Soccer Talk wrote that “FOX Sports was in discussions last year to hire more talented commentators. But given FOX’s decision to slash budgets, the American broadcaster decided to hire a mostly American crew instead.”

“There’s no question that we did this deliberately, and the message is that we have an abundance of outstanding American play-by-play voices and frankly it would make no sense not to avail ourselves of that,” said David Neal, executive producer of Fox’s World Cup coverage. “It’s as solid a group of American voices as have ever been collected for a World Cup.”

Total crap - I also will be watching a world feed or Telemundo.

• Like 1

This might be regional bias but Mark Followill is a good broadcast. He does FC Dallas games, Mavericks TV play by play, and has called other friendlies. Not being onsite is pretty terrible but hey, it's Fox. 

Edited by mdmost

31 minutes ago, JNip said:

Talking about World Cup.... Michael Bradley just missed a pk and Toronto won’t go to the club World Cup. 

I was hoping that SOMEONE saw that.

Toronto should have wrapped it up in the 87th minute when the little Itai crossed from the left corner, but the wide open Toronto player skied his shot. Didn't even hit the keeper.

Then Toronto was already down a goal when the second guy hit the crossbar, but HOLY SHIT MICHAEL BRADLEY SUCKS!!!

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

He went up there and skyed it into the luxury boxes with absolute confidence.

The Univision announcers were mentioning that he was used to taking these pressure kicks. (BEFORE he actually kicked it.)

They just said that he was used to taking them, but they didn't say anything about efficacy.

Assuming it didn't ascend directly to heaven, that ball will land somewhere near wherever this one ended up.

40 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

That's less about the World Cup and more about how the MLS needs to start winning that tournament on a regular basis. Any talk of the MLS taking the next step ends when you look at the CCL.

This. The best MLS team flounders against an average Mexican team? Sheeeeet.

3 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

This. The best MLS team flounders against an average Mexican team? Sheeeeet.

10th year of ConcaChampions and 10 Mexican champions. 7 of the 10 finalists have been Mexican and 3 from the MLS. 

This year's champion, Chivas, is the 17th place out of 18 teams in LIGA MX.. That's just dominance. 

Edited by JNip

I saw some bullshit where Fox is pushing Mexico as "America's Team". FUUUCK that caca. And fuck Fox and their no-bid 2022 contract as well. Hope they lose a billion. Fuck Qatar while we're at it. And fuck a winter world cup.

And fuck bruce arena

Edited by Bottlecap
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

I saw some bullshit where Fox is pushing Mexico as "America's Team". FUUUCK that caca. 

And fuck bruce arena

Maybe they mean NORTH AMERICA'S ONLY TEAM in the World Cup. 

(Though "Panama to the Hudson Bay" is sometimes considered "North America".)

• 3 weeks later...

Looked at criticism regarding Mexico's list and the consensus seems to be Rodolfo Pizzaro and Gallito should not have been left out. Gio will always be criticized in Mexico. Even after he scored the goal against the Netherlands in the last world cup he was taken out only to have Aquino come in a give up the goal that tied the game.

All in all the preliminary list seems fine to me.

2 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

Looked at criticism regarding Mexico's list and the consensus seems to be Rodolfo Pizzaro and Gallito should not have been left out...

I'm looking at fan discussion in Buenos Aires (mainly expats, very few locals) and the point was made that Kranevitter (24 y.o. DM for Zenit) should have been included in large part because Mascherano can't cover the ground that he used to. (Plus, Masche has seen most of his action as a CB for the last few years, so a 2014 Masche destroyer/ball winner is very important.)

I can't remember if I mentioned it above, but I don't see Argentina making it to the Quarterfinals, especially with Messi making the personnel decisions. It would not surprise me if Argentina starts at least 7 players who are 30 years-old or older in their opening match.

Tournaments are a young man's game. You can't run out a team full over old guys every 4 days. When in doubt, you should ALWAYS choose the YOUNGER outfield player for a tournament if everything else is equal. (And sometimes even when it isn't.)

Just did some research... LAUTARO MARTINEZ (20 y.o.) absolutely needs to be on the final roster... and needs to see the field as much as possible for the team to make it out of their group. He's the future. (Probably more so than Dybala.)

ESPN's "Round Table" with dramatic high school black box theater dramatic lighting discussing how good Germany is and whether they will repeat.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=3499095

They all have coffee cups in front of them. I know of a certain country in the Southern Cone of South America that would have wine glasses filled with water in front of each of these guys. (And they would probably all be wearing sports jackets and dress shirts with a few wearing ties as well.)

9 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Fuck Russia and fuck FIFA and fuck this entire farce of an event.  

The only thing farcical about it is the location and the draw for the host.    The former will be forgotten if there are no incidents, and the latter will be forgotten if the referees let nature run it's course.