Somebody has stolen a Horizon Air plane at SEA

Gil Bang

I used to live in University Place, maybe a half mile away from where that video of the crash was shot from, so yes, this hits close to where I used to call home.  That video is looking just to the south of the Chamber's Bay Golf Course where the U.S. Open was played in 2015.  

Where exactly did the F-15s scramble from?   McChord is to the SW about 10 miles away in Lakewood but they only have C-17 Globemaster cargo aircraft.   Fairchild is about about 25 minutes east at supersonic speed in Spokane and they only have KC-135s tankers.  There aren't any F-15s in Alaska and they fighters up there (F-22 at Elmendorf and F-16s at Eielson) are about 2 hours out if you're supersonic the whole way and that's a lot of fuel.    Maybe the ANG from Portland got up there fast enough to pursue but they're still 15 minutes away even if they go supersonic and that's barely even counting scramble time and clearing PDX airspace.  Even then, they'd have to swing out over the Pacific to do so with out breaking a shit ton of windows in the greater Portland/Vancouver area.  

17 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I used to live in University Place, maybe a half mile away from where that video of the crash was shot from, so yes, this hits close to where I used to call home.  That video is looking just to the south of the Chamber's Bay Golf Course where the U.S. Open was played in 2015.  

Where exactly did the F-15s scramble from?   McChord is to the SW about 10 miles away in Lakewood but they only have C-17 Globemaster cargo aircraft.   Fairchild is about about 25 minutes east at supersonic speed in Spokane and they only have KC-135s tankers.  There aren't any F-15s in Alaska and they fighters up there (F-22 at Elmendorf and F-16s at Eielson) are about 2 hours out if you're supersonic the whole way and that's a lot of fuel.    Maybe the ANG from Portland got up there fast enough to pursue but they're still 15 minutes away even if they go supersonic and that's barely even counting scramble time and clearing PDX airspace.  Even then, they'd have to swing out over the Pacific to do so with out breaking a shit ton of windows in the greater Portland/Vancouver area.  

They probably called Maverick. 

16 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I heard Portland but I can't provide a link.  Bet those ANG boys had full wood getting scrambled for something other than routine drill shit. 

I wonder how many times they said "no passengers? Can we shoot him down. Pretty please????" 

Had to be Oregon ANG out of PDX.    They're the only ones flying F-15s within the distance that could have gotten there that fast.   From PDX to that part of the Puget Sound is doable once the dude took off from SEA.   If he really did fly out to the Olympics and then back to the South Sound they could have scrambled and been into the area pretty damn quick.   I'm guessing that civilians bitching about sonic booms goes out the window when a plane gets hijacked nowadays.   

Okay, so...  When a plane is sitting there empty...  Are cockpit doors not locked?  Is there no key or code or something required to start the engines?  What did he do, hotwire the damned thing?  How did he get it to the runway without it being taxied?

How the hell does this happen?

Edited by TexArcher

19 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

I wonder how many times they said "no passengers? Can we shoot him down. Pretty please????" 

Actually if you've ever met one of those guys, they really, really don't want to shoot down a civilian plane, passengers or not.   

1.   With passengers, they know it's going to cause all sorts of shit.

2.  Without passengers, their fellow pilots will give them all sorts of shit.

24 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Okay, so...  When a plane is sitting there empty...  Are cockpit doors not locked?  Is there no key or code or something required to start the engines?  What did he do, hotwire the damned thing?  How did he get it to the runway without it being taxied?

How the hell does this happen?

This is our concern dude.  We think, based on reports, that he was a mechanic.  They have access to the plane at all hours.  They have the ability to start the engines. It's crucial to their job.  It's my understanding (and I really hope some of our surly airline pilots correct me if I'm wrong) that they are trained and permitted to taxi the aircraft.  

Those of y'all claiming they came from Portland, must either not be familiar with the area or have forgotten that there is a joint Army and Air Force base less than an hour southwest in Fort Lewis in between Tacoma and Olympia.  And I used to live in Federal Way, so this hits close to home.  

21 minutes ago, Shmitty said:

Those of y'all claiming they came from Portland, must either not be familiar with the area or have forgotten that there is a joint Army and Air Force base less than an hour southwest in Fort Lewis in between Tacoma and Olympia.  And I used to live in Federal Way, so this hits close to home.  

Hey dumbass....   McChord doesn't have any pursuit planes.   Unless you want to fire up a C-17 Globemaster and go chasing it with one of those.   Not exactly conducive to tracking down a stolen plane.  

globe1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

28 minutes ago, Shmitty said:

And you've forgotten that C-17's arent effective as pursuit aircraft.

Or, I'll type slower so you can understand.  Not ALL aircraft are based at ALL bases.  So, you lived on Federal Way but you don't know shit about that base. 

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Like 3