Tell me about New York City

On 9/20/2021 at 6:50 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I would stay in Midtown, maybe the Bryant Park Hotel, because that puts you right in the center of the city.  If you want to splurge, might look at the Plaza or the Pierre.  

As for restaurants, any particular cuisines you love or want to stay away from?  

Following up on this post.  Going in mid November.  Staying at The Iroquois Hotel in Midtown.  Seemed decent enough and I’m too cheap to stay at the Plaza.  Booked 2 shows.  Jagged Little Pill and Moulin Rouge.  Any good places to eat before these shows that are near my hotel or the theaters?   Also, what would be the rec for a 25th anniversary dinner on a non broadway show night.  Wife isn’t a foodie and doesn’t eat out of the ordinary stuff.  My hotel is near Butter? Not sure if that is good. Lebernadin seems too upscale for what she is looking for and she would freak out at the prices I am guessing.   Also, is a place like Patsy’s worth trying one night or does the food suck?

Le Bernardin is absolutely excellent, but if that's not something she would appreciate....don't spend the money. That's why I won't recommend Saga or Les Trois Chevaux. However, for the Anniversary Dinners I think either Crown Shy or Cosme might be good fits. Both are places you can get dressed up for and both have absolutely excellent food. I've been to both multiple times.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm jumping in here.  Finally making it back to the city after a 18 month absence due to the cooties.  Solo trip.  Nov 11-14.    I need a solid dinner rec for a Thursday night.  Friday going to see a band play at Bowery and Saturday some friends are putting together a dinner.  They usually pick super trendy impossible to get into spots.   Casual. aka nice jeans etc.  I don't want to drag anything more in the clothing dept.  I've always wanted to go to Momofuku Ko so maybe I've answered my own question

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, midtown said:

I'm jumping in here.  Finally making it back to the city after a 18 month absence due to the cooties.  Solo trip.  Nov 11-14.    I need a solid dinner rec for a Thursday night.  Friday going to see a band play at Bowery and Saturday some friends are putting together a dinner.  They usually pick super trendy impossible to get into spots.   Casual. aka nice jeans Dockers etc.  I don't want to drag anything more in the clothing dept.  I've always wanted to go to Momofuku Ko so maybe I've answered my own question

fify

On 10/6/2021 at 9:38 PM, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Following up on this post.  Going in mid November.  Staying at The Iroquois Hotel in Midtown.  Seemed decent enough and I’m too cheap to stay at the Plaza.  Booked 2 shows.  Jagged Little Pill and Moulin Rouge.  Any good places to eat before these shows that are near my hotel or the theaters?   Also, what would be the rec for a 25th anniversary dinner on a non broadway show night.  Wife isn’t a foodie and doesn’t eat out of the ordinary stuff.  My hotel is near Butter? Not sure if that is good. Lebernadin seems too upscale for what she is looking for and she would freak out at the prices I am guessing.   Also, is a place like Patsy’s worth trying one night or does the food suck?

I meant to address your other questions as well.  Sorry, I was on my phone, and it is harder to respond on that than it is on the laptop. 

So near your hotel is a great restaurant, Gabriel Kreuther.  It has 2 Michelin Stars and if French/Alsatian cuisine.  I have had some excellent meals there.  They have an a la carte menu as well as tasting menus.  It is right across from Bryan Park on W 42nd, so 2 blocks from your hotel, and too far from both theaters.  The inside is gorgeous, and their cocktail program is STRONG.  They also have a large patio as well, which will be heated when it gets cooler. 

There is also STK Midtown.  It is a solid steakhouse.  That is on W 43rd, about 1 block from your hotel.  The steak is good, and the inside of that restaurant is gorgeous.  There is also a Strip House on the same block as your hotel.  So you do have that going for you, which is nice.

On Patsy's, are you talking about the original red sauce joint in Harlem?  Or are you talking about the one near Carnegie Hall?  I have not been to either, so cannot comment.  Butter, to answer your question, is very sceny.  I have no idea if it is any good, but based on the number of times the OG Gossip Girl talked about Butter, it does not seem like my sort of place.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I meant to address your other questions as well.  Sorry, I was on my phone, and it is harder to respond on that than it is on the laptop. 

So near your hotel is a great restaurant, Gabriel Kreuther.  It has 2 Michelin Stars and if French/Alsatian cuisine.  I have had some excellent meals there.  They have an a la carte menu as well as tasting menus.  It is right across from Bryan Park on W 42nd, so 2 blocks from your hotel, and too far from both theaters.  The inside is gorgeous, and their cocktail program is STRONG.  They also have a large patio as well, which will be heated when it gets cooler. 

There is also STK Midtown.  It is a solid steakhouse.  That is on W 43rd, about 1 block from your hotel.  The steak is good, and the inside of that restaurant is gorgeous.  There is also a Strip House on the same block as your hotel.  So you do have that going for you, which is nice.

On Patsy's, are you talking about the original red sauce joint in Harlem?  Or are you talking about the one near Carnegie Hall?  I have not been to either, so cannot comment.  Butter, to answer your question, is very sceny.  I have no idea if it is any good, but based on the number of times the OG Gossip Girl talked about Butter, it does not seem like my sort of place.

Gabriel Kreuther is excellent. Boulud’s new place (Le Pavillon) is also just down 45th street in the new One Vanderbilt skyscraper. I haven’t been but have heard good things.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Gabriel Kreuther is excellent. Boulud’s new place (Le Pavillon) is also just down 45th street in the new One Vanderbilt skyscraper. I haven’t been but have heard good things.  

Yeah, haven't been to Le Pavillon.  Try to only recommend places I have been to.  I have slowed down my going out a bit, because I have been going out too much.  

Big week coming up next week:

Tues dinner at Chefs Table

Wed afternoon at Tribeca Grill, dinner at Kochi

Thurs lunch at Odo

Thurs night - Sat afternoon at the NYWE

Sat early dinner at Cote followed by a nightcap at Nice Matin

Sun brunch at Caviar Rousse followed by Wicked and then a late table at Daniel

Mon dinner at Nakazawa

Should be a nice week in NYC. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, b_p said:

Big week coming up next week:

Tues dinner at Chefs Table

Wed afternoon at Tribeca Grill, dinner at Kochi

Thurs lunch at Odo

Thurs night - Sat afternoon at the NYWE

Sat early dinner at Cote followed by a nightcap at Nice Matin

Sun brunch at Caviar Rousse followed by Wicked and then a late table at Daniel

Mon dinner at Nakazawa

Should be a nice week in NYC. 

Dope line up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/9/2021 at 6:55 PM, Underdog said:

How long do the holiday decorations stay up in NYC? Are they taken down pretty soon after New Years? Jr is thinking of coming up in January with wife and munchkin and it would be cool if the decorations were still up.  TIA. 

It depends.  Most come down after January 5th or 6th.  However, the Winter Village in Bryant Park stays up until end of March.  

Speaking of, the Winter Village will open up on October 29th.  They are putting it together now.

• Like 1

My parents are coming in for Thanksgiving this year, and then I have friends visiting in Mid-December.  

I am still debating a few things, but thankfully, we do not have to go, go, go or try and see lots and lots of things.  We are going to the Statue of Liberty the Sunday AM after thanksgiving, and hopefully, they are nice enough to let my parents take the elevator up to the Pedestal.  

For my friends coming in, they want to do as much cheesy Christmas stuff as they can. 

We are going to see the Rockettes on Monday AM, so other than that, we are pretty open.  

Once I have some more concrete plans, will share, but also doing lots of research on all sorts of things, so should have some good data to share.  

16 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

Spent 7 days in the city. Had dinner at Estela (twice), Atera, Cosme, Frenchette and Don Angie were all excellent 

Frenchette is a regular spot of mine.  Both my folks have been there (my dad when he came up apartment hunting with me and my mom when I moved in).  I am heading there Friday night just because. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, NIUHuskies said:

Got 36 hours in the city in Black Friday and into Saturday, what the does board recommend? Staying at at the Royaltown on 44yh.

Looking for decent but not too expensive meals. Not over 35 per plate.

As a book nerd, is The Strand worth it?

TIA

Her Name is Han is at 31st and 5th and is excellent.  Have not had a bad meal there, and does small plates (so you can get get a group to get a number of those) as well as larger plates all under 35.  BXL Cafe is at 43rd and 6th.  The food I cannot comment on as I have only had bar snacks (croquettes and bitterballen, but they were very good), but the bar is off the hook.  

You also aren't too terribly far from Eataly in Flatiron.  Their pasta place inside is very good and the rooftop restaurant will be decorated for Christmas.  

Churchill Tavern is at E 28th and Park.  Cannot comment on their food very much, but they do Christmas right.  It is gorgeous inside.  Think English Pub, but completely covered in garland and white lights.

A little further south, at 19th and 5th, on one block you have Thai Villa (really cool inside and very good food).  Go north one block to 20th between 5th and Park and you have Rezdora (Italian), Sugarfish (Sushi), Mari Vanna (Russian), and Gramercy Tavern.  Mains will run around 35 or under at all those (sushi will be slightly different and Rezdora, you order a lot of pastas which run 21-28).  

The Strand is OK.  It gets really crowded and can take forever to check out.  A real book nerd goes to Argosy.  They have valuable first editions and some really, really old books.  

Here is a great list of bookstores in NYC.  I have been to a number of these and agree.

https://embracesomeplace.com/best-bookstores-new-york-city-nyc/

I have not even tried to do Black Friday in NYC.  Are there sales?  I believe Saks and Bergdorf's designer sales do not start until later, after the first week of December (I think Bergdorf's started on December 7th in 2020, though my SA allowed me to buy a dress for the sale price the day before, so that was nice of him).  And most the big designer places probably have the same timeline as well.  The crazy sales are after Christmas.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/18/2021 at 10:32 AM, Errestaurants said:

Spent 7 days in the city. Had dinner at Estela (twice), Atera, Cosme, Frenchette and Don Angie were all excellent 

Love Atera, especially at the bar. Great week there for you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So has been an interesting week in NY.  I just got word that my application to be a Patron at Fotografiska was accepted.  That gets me access to the Chapel Bar, which is really, really cool.  

Fall Samples Sales are back.  This week was Marc Jacobs, Jimmy Choo, Hermes, and The Row.  Apparently, people were lining up at 9 PM the night before to hit the Hermes sale.  I will just pay full price for my scarves, thanks very much.  I haven't had time to go to any of them as I was stuck on conference calls and doing research (ughhh).  I have to head down to Soho this afternoon, so might pop back up at Jimmy Choo this afternoon as it is the last day.  Might hit the Row tomorrow.  I think all the men's stuff is gone, for those interested.

Tonight, we are headed to Brooklyn to go to Saint Julivert for dinner (So no Frenchette for me tonight....maybe next Friday night) followed by the reopening of Le Boudoir on Atlantic.  They are going to have a DJ and debut their new cocktail menu.  During lockdown, I did Insta Live HHs with their former bartender and have some of their recipes I learned.  They are a bar with a Marie Antoinette theme, so being a francophile, I have been dying to go.

Next week, have the ABT Gala performance on Tuesday, then get to go to a Treehouse Brewing tasting at the National Arts Club (I want to make friends and possibly become a member) on Wednesday, then it is off to the Met on Thursday to hear Tory Burch speak.  Then the weekend....not sure what we are doing other than I am dressing up as Gritty to go to the Village parade on Sunday night.  

In November, my folks are coming, so we are doing the planning for that.  Then in December, I have two friends coming in from Texas to celebrate some big life changes (2019-2021 have been something).  

• Hook 'Em 1

Posting this separately as I do need some advice.  I told my dad if they would visit me, I would treat him to steak.  In the past, I have taken him to Peter Luger.  He has had the steak frites at Balthazar and the Cote de Boeuf at Frenchette.   

This time, I am thinking either Keens or Gage & Tollner.  Keens is classic.  However, Gage & Tollner just made the Times 50.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVVpSValXVn/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I have not been to either, so I am interested in feedback.  

Right now, we have a reservation for Keens, but I can easily get a reservation for Gage & Tollner (they only do 28 days out).   

I’d stick with Keen’s. The pipes that are stored up front to show the people that have been there through the years (Einstein, MacArthur, Ruth amongst loads of others) through the years creates a unique ambiance to experience, enjoy!
Will agree with this. It's my favorite nyc steak house. I've eaten there so many times I've lost count but if you've never been it's quite the quintessential NYC old school steak house.

20 hours ago, midtown said:
On 10/22/2021 at 9:55 PM, QuesoEspecial said:
I’d stick with Keen’s. The pipes that are stored up front to show the people that have been there through the years (Einstein, MacArthur, Ruth amongst loads of others) through the years creates a unique ambiance to experience, enjoy!

Will agree with this. It's my favorite nyc steak house. I've eaten there so many times I've lost count but if you've never been it's quite the quintessential NYC old school steak house.

Love Keens, always dine there when in the city.  Another one that is pretty damn good is the Old Homestead @ 52 9th Avenue.  Definitely old school and located in the Meatpacking District.

1 hour ago, wildturkey8 said:

Love Keens, always dine there when in the city.  Another one that is pretty damn good is the Old Homestead @ 52 9th Avenue.  Definitely old school and located in the Meatpacking District.

Been to Old Homestead.  

Keeping the Keen's reservation.  My dad will love it.  

On 10/22/2021 at 2:44 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Posting this separately as I do need some advice.  I told my dad if they would visit me, I would treat him to steak.  In the past, I have taken him to Peter Luger.  He has had the steak frites at Balthazar and the Cote de Boeuf at Frenchette.   

This time, I am thinking either Keens or Gage & Tollner.  Keens is classic.  However, Gage & Tollner just made the Times 50.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVVpSValXVn/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I have not been to either, so I am interested in feedback.  

Right now, we have a reservation for Keens, but I can easily get a reservation for Gage & Tollner (they only do 28 days out).   

I just had the Wagyu Omakase menu at Cote and it was fantastic. It’s not traditional but I would highly recommend it. It’s also a fun, laid back atmosphere and has a star. Just something to consider. 

05CD288F-9899-4BB4-9AA0-930E0EAD40A3.jpeg

C710C31B-2B7B-4236-B2A4-7836FC7EE9B8.jpeg

Edited by b_p

On 10/24/2021 at 6:55 PM, b_p said:

I just had the Wagyu Omakase menu at Cote and it was fantastic. It’s not traditional but I would highly recommend it. It’s also a fun, laid back atmosphere and has a star. Just something to consider. 

05CD288F-9899-4BB4-9AA0-930E0EAD40A3.jpeg

C710C31B-2B7B-4236-B2A4-7836FC7EE9B8.jpeg

I thought about Cote, and if it were just my dad, I would completely do it.  But Cote would be lost on my mom.  She is not adventurous, and she also likes her steak medium well. Sigh.

Funnily enough, a friend of mine had nothing but bad things to say about Cote, which I found very interesting.

The ragweed has knocked me for a loop since Saturday.  On the upswing now, but had to close all the windows and kick up all the air purifiers to high.  

Last Friday, had dinner at Saint Julivert.  I highly recommend it.  The Cobble Hill neighborhood is very pretty, and the restaurant is absolutely fantastic.  Have a very interesting wine list, but the star is the seafood.  Everything was so good and full of flavor that I cannot pinpoint a favorite dish.

Not a traditional steak house, but I had a solid steak au poivre @ Raoul's.  It's more of a French place than steak house.

I'll be up 2nd week of November visiting my in-laws (Tribeca) and celebrating my wife's birthday.

I think the only things we have planned are dinner at Balthazar one night and seeing Tina: The Tina Turner Musical

1 hour ago, Tylerocks said:

Not a traditional steak house, but I had a solid steak au poivre @ Raoul's.  It's more of a French place than steak house.

I'll be up 2nd week of November visiting my in-laws (Tribeca) and celebrating my wife's birthday.

I think the only things we have planned are dinner at Balthazar one night and seeing Tina: The Tina Turner Musical

Raoul's has been booked solid.  I have been wanting to go.  It is incredibly popular.  

17 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Raoul's has been booked solid.  I have been wanting to go.  It is incredibly popular.  

Nice.  it's pretty "old school" in that it hasn't changed much since the 70's.  

Glad to hear they 1) survived the pandemic and 2) seemingly going strong.

Well crap.  I waited too long to book a reservation at Ko so now I'm on a notify with Rezy.   

At this point I'm just searching everything in the AMEX global dining list.    Any input on Dirty French or Loring Place?

Edited by midtown

Well crap.  I waited too long to book a reservation at Ko so now I'm on a notify with Rezy.   
At this point I'm just searching everything in the AMEX global dining list.    Any input on Dirty French or Loring Place?
I went to Dirty French after it first opened and I enjoyed it.

I'm not sure when you are looking for, but the Dhamka and Adda team have a new place in the West Village called Semma. I'm headed there on Friday night.

If you want tasting menu, try and get into One White Street or do a Korean tasting like Jua.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2021 at 9:37 PM, NIUHuskies said:

In town in 3 weeks, where are those Mexican statues.

For my wife's birthday, got tickets to Jagged Little Pill to reliver her teenage angst years. 

Rockefeller Center for Day of the Dead.

Today was the 50th NY Marathon.  They come off the Queensboro Bridge and turn up 1st Ave.  That is a block from me, so the doggies and I went down and hung out for a while.  Good to see the crowd.

20211107_111537.jpg

20211107_111845.jpg

20211107_111923.jpg

• Like 3

Rode the bike across the Williamsburg Bridge and met the runners on Bedford Avenue in Brooklyn at mile 10. The crowd was raucous and a lot of fun.  Rode back into Manhattan and up to Central Park and saw the runners at mile 24.  They certainly don't look like they were having any fun. Having ran the NYC marathon once, I know how it feels.

15 hours ago, APEX said:

Rode the bike across the Williamsburg Bridge and met the runners on Bedford Avenue in Brooklyn at mile 10. The crowd was raucous and a lot of fun.  Rode back into Manhattan and up to Central Park and saw the runners at mile 24.  They certainly don't look like they were having any fun. Having ran the NYC marathon once, I know how it feels.

Yeah, the crowd was very good.  It was much better than the last time I was around to watch it which was back in 2007 (I was in Paris in 2019 on Marathon Weekend).  

• Fuck You 1

I am making a hot lap through the city next week. I've been quite a few times to see friends, done Brooklyn, Broadway, lower Manhattan and all the typical tourist shit plus some legit locals dragging us around all over several times. Done pizza tours, WTC , east village, and our first night is booked with friends. What should i do next Thurs/ Friday until the plane leaves at 6pm?

We really like walking/ biking and just getting the off beaten side of things. Small plate funky restaurants are always appreciated. Dive bars welcome. Have not done Harlem. Shows booked, so I am looking more daytime stuff.

I think we are staying near S Central Park after the village wed, but we are comfortable with the subway and like to move around and explore. Last trip we were all over and it was amazing.

I am making a hot lap through the city next week. I've been quite a few times to see friends, done Brooklyn, Broadway, lower Manhattan and all the typical tourist shit plus some legit locals dragging us around all over several times. Done pizza tours, WTC , east village, and our first night is booked with friends. What should i do next Thurs/ Friday until the plane leaves at 6pm?

We really like walking/ biking and just getting the off beaten side of things. Small plate funky restaurants are always appreciated. Dive bars welcome. Have not done Harlem.

I think we are staying near S Central Park second night after the village wed, but we are comfortable with the subway and like to move around and explore. Last trip we were all over and it was amazing.

@Born to Run

Fotografiska has an Andy Warhol exhibit on right now called Photo Factory.  I am a fan of this museum.  It is in a beautiful building at 22nd and Park.  I highly recommend hitting it up.  It helps that Gramercy Tavern is close by and their cocktail menu right now is outstanding.  The Fall Classic and the Zen (cannot remember the rest of the name, but Zen is in the name) are fantastic.  Food is pretty terrific too.  

At David Zwirner on E 69th, they have a Hilma af Klint exhibit.  You have to make an appointment to see the works, but definitely worth a look.  Also, that part of the UES is really fun to walk around in.  You have the park close by, and just some beautiful buildings in the surrounding area.  

I know I have shared this map in the past, but I have added a lot to it.  This follows the Daytonian in Manhattan blog and outlines various historic buildings in the city by neighborhood.  

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1lsqnZgDfMWjAkvagEE6BuCHkUNDOek1f&usp=sharing

There are links to each post in the blog.  If you do Fotografiska, you will be able to walk around Flatiron and Gramercy, which are both incredibly interesting neighborhoods (I believe the Teddy Roosevelt birthplace is down there as well).  

Another amazing place to hang around in is the West Village.  You could do your own walking tour.  Tons of history there.