Tell me about New York City

Nsiap but breakfast at Clinton St Baking Company in the lower east side is a must.
The wife and I make sure to hit it every time we’re there.

Always liked that they were one of the firsts to use a phone waiting list so you don’t have to wait there for 2 hours. Pancakes are always good there.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Happy birthday, @PenelopeWitherspoon! Reservations finally made for our beloved Bryant Park Hotel in April. We'll be there even if we have to wear astronaut suites to be safe. 

I think we will be on the other side of this in April.  Everyone in NYC will have had COVID by then.  LOL.  

Katana Kitten has a Lobby Boy hat that I was able to sport last night (I went back after dinner) to do my birthday shot at midnight.  So much fun.  I love that place.  

I did not make my workout this AM nor did I make it to Fotografiska for the last day of one of the exhibitions.  I was slightly done in this AM and just lounged in bed all day after a night that had at least 10 cocktails and 2-3 shots as well as an amazing meal that I will be posting the photos of soon.  If you go to Semma, be warned.  Everything is pretty spicy. 

All in all, there are worse ways to spend your birthday.  Too bad as the original plan was being in Paris, but NYC is a good place to be if you cannot travel.

About to head out for Gramercy Tavern and then heading to see Six.  Then it is back to Dry January.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

We alternate usually between there or Smiths in NoMAD (well Maison Kayser was in that list too, boo hiss)

Dimes in the LES is pretty good as well.  They have some decent breakfast tacos.  Balthazar is my old standby.  Steak frites for breakfast IS the second breakfast of champions.  The first is Shiner in a waxed paper cup and a Fletcher's Corny Dog.

I also love going to Russ & Daughters.  Their Nova on a toasted everything bagel with scallion cream cheese is chef's kiss.  If the weather is nice, you can go to King David Tacos in Madison Square Park and grab a few breakfast tacos and watch the dogs play in the dog park in the park.    

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I think we will be on the other side of this in April.  Everyone in NYC will have had COVID by then.  LOL.  

Katana Kitten has a Lobby Boy hat that I was able to sport last night (I went back after dinner) to do my birthday shot at midnight.  So much fun.  I love that place.  

Let’s meet there - drinks on my wife and I. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I did not make my workout this AM nor did I make it to Fotografiska for the last day of one of the exhibitions.  I was slightly done in this AM and just lounged in bed all day after a night that had at least 10 cocktails and 2-3 shots as well as an amazing meal that I will be posting the photos of soon.  If you go to Semma, be warned.  Everything is pretty spicy. 

All in all, there are worse ways to spend your birthday.  Too bad as the original plan was being in Paris, but NYC is a good place to be if you cannot travel.

About to head out for Gramercy Tavern and then heading to see Six.  Then it is back to Dry January.  

How was Semma? Indian is our favorite cuisine outside of Texas stuff and always are eyeing new spots. Our fallback is Tamarjnd though I want to try Dhamaka if I can get reservations. 

Just booked a trip to NYC in 2 weeks, dirt cheap flight and staying in SoHo. Wrapping up my omnicron + and ready to get back in the world.

Already booked the comedy cellar, (it’s always a must for us).

Any fine dining recs (yes I know last minute hard to get a reservation) or bars? Haven’t been since early 2020 so any insight into what to avoid or be aware of would be helpful too. Fully vaxxed, are places cool with digital vax card?

On 1/10/2022 at 8:28 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

How was Semma? Indian is our favorite cuisine outside of Texas stuff and always are eyeing new spots. Our fallback is Tamarjnd though I want to try Dhamaka if I can get reservations. 

It was outstanding.  It was definitely spicy, but so, so good.  I am headed to Dhamaka tonight.  

13 hours ago, TTU13 said:

Just booked a trip to NYC in 2 weeks, dirt cheap flight and staying in SoHo. Wrapping up my omnicron + and ready to get back in the world.

Already booked the comedy cellar, (it’s always a must for us).

Any fine dining recs (yes I know last minute hard to get a reservation) or bars? Haven’t been since early 2020 so any insight into what to avoid or be aware of would be helpful too. Fully vaxxed, are places cool with digital vax card?

Yes, places are good with a digital vax card.  Download the NYC Safe app and you can load a photo of your Vax card and your id and have it in one place to show.

Try Saga.  I have been dying to go, but am waiting for my friend to move back to NYC from Copenhagen to go as she and another friend of ours wanted to try it.  I know they book up way in advance, but they might have openings.  

I love One White Street, so you cannot go wrong there.  Tasting menu at about 150 with pairing at 110.  They also have a more casual, first come concept on the first floor.  The chef was formerly at Frenchie in Paris and their wine guy was formerly at EMP.  They partner with a farm upstate for produce.  Also, it is at One White Street where John and Yoko had their nutopia (they have the whole townhouse for the restaurant).  

My other standbys are Crown Shy, King, Dame and Frenchette.  

Others on here have also mentioned Gage & Tollner.  

If more ethnic is your thing, and you still want something upscale, Dhamaka or Semma for Indian, Atoboy or Her Name is Han for Korean, Cha Kee or Chinese Tuxedo for Chinese, and Tyger for more of a fusion thing.  You could also do Indochine, which is old school, but still popular.  

Holy crap there are so many other places to name, and that is without be running through the Italian places.  

Of course, I have left out Le Coucou and Le Bernardin, which are both, IMO absolutely outstanding.  There is so much more to run through.  Might be easier if you say what kind of places you like or are interested in, and we can all narrow it down.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Glad I'm over halfway through with dry January.  I was able to drink on the 9th and 10th for my birthday, but it's been a slow slog through the month so far.  Especially when it is so fucking cold!

So I probably shouldn't tell you I had a nice Merlot with our lamb chops tonight, and now I'm enjoying a nice bourbon. 

• Drool 1

Thought I would post photos from Semma and Dhamaka.  So after attending a matinee of the Music Man on Sunday, January 9th, I went to Katana Kitten.  It is by far my favorite bar in NYC, which is saying something because there are tons of excellent bars here.  

Started with the Shiso Gin & Tonic.  This is one of the best, if not the best, G&T I have ever had.  It is made with Ford's gin, which is a good gin.  

i-4bKz5sg-X2.jpg

Then still had time before my reservation at Semma, so I ordered the Hinoki Martini.  It is made with Grey Goose, Spring 44 Mountain Gin, fin sherry, junmai daiginjo, and hinoki tree essence.  This is a drink I had not had before, and I can officially say this is one of the best martinis I have had.  So, so smooth.  A great pre-dinner drink.

i-Z533mRc-X2.jpg

Semma is a few blocks from Katana Kitten, so it was a quick walk, even though it was raining a bit.  Started out with a Whistle Podu.  This is curry leaf infused gin, canton liquor, and cardamom (with a curry leaf garnish).  

i-5CVVjzD-X2.jpg

The first thing I ordered was the Gunpowder Dosa.  This was much bigger than expected, but excellent.  I loved all the sauces that came with it.  

i-mX7WBHD-X2.jpg

Next, came the Mangalore Huukosu.  This is cauliflower with garlic, byadgi chili, and coconut chutney.  I was epecting a bit of spice, but I was not expecting this much spice in this dish.  It was so good, but so, so hot.

i-SRNttCm-X2.jpg

Next drink was the most excellent Thalaivaa.  This is bourbon, spiced Jaggery syrup, and coconut ice.  

i-CR6mK92-X2.jpg

The main course I went with was the Chettinad Maan.  This is venison shank with star anise and blackstone flower.  This was spicy, but not nearly as spicy as the cauliflower.  The flavor was outstanding.  

i-Nzjhk3X-X2.jpg

i-Rsx6hr9-X2.jpg

The last new cocktail of the evening at Semma was quite refreshing.  It was the Silk Smitha which is made with cardamom infused tequila, red peppercorn, and agave.  

i-5Dcv33H-X2.jpg

Had another Thalaivaa at the end of the meal as well rather than having dessert.  I was absolutely full, but always room for more cocktails.  The inside of Semma is very well done.  I am looking forward to a return visit.

i-tsLpkLZ-X2.jpg

After dinner, I went back to Katana Kitten.  The rainy night, and it being a Sunday, meant my seat at the bar was available.  Popped in and had a variation on the Panda Fizz, but instead of vodka, the bartender made it with tequila.  It was SO good.  Had a few of these before my birthday shot at midnight.

i-MpB6mWH-X2.jpg

i-XcDDhMK-X2.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Ok, on my actual birthday (Monday, January 10th...birthdays on Mondays suck FYI), I was supposed to go to Gramercy Tavern and then go see Six.  I was a little rough for the wear after the night with all the cocktails (I think I had like 10 and then had 2-3 shots besides), so decided to forego Six and just went to dinner.  

Gramercy Tavern is a place that I love.  It is just good cooking and excellent cocktails.  

The Zen Mode is my current favorite cocktail there, so I started off the evening with that.  It is pear, Japanese whiskey, Curacao, and green tea.  It is so, so, so refreshing.

i-PBGNwQ3-X2.jpg

They brought out the house focaccia to start.  I love their focaccia, and I am not really a bread person.  

i-4cWQrtK-X2.jpg

My starter was the golden beets.  This is one of my absolute favorite things on their menu.  It is so, so good.

i-wS2j8r3-X2.jpg

For my main, went with the pot roast.  It was getting really cold, so this seemed like an excellent choice.

i-g2LH2cJ-X2.jpg

My next cocktail was the Multipass.  This is done with pomegranate, mezcal, harissa, rose and cardamaro.  I thought this was nice and refreshing.

i-MHPVx3q-X2.jpg

I ordered the Sticky Toffee Pudding for dessert, and then was surprised with a second dessert for my birthday.  I would recommend, if you are going to Gramercy Tavern, you tell them it is your birthday.  They only do the meringue coated coconut cake for special occassions.  It is absolutely excellent and worth the calories.

i-QkTGcj3-X2.jpg

i-NRpLTct-X2.jpg

I finished the night with a Zen Mode to go with my desserts and went home to cuddle the dogs.  It was all in all a great birthday, and a nice reprieve from dry January.

• Hook 'Em 1

And now Dhamaka from Friday.  I am definitely going to go back, but this place is really, really good.  

i-jN3jhQm-X2.jpg

Started out with a mango passion fruit lassi.  Over the evening, I had three of these.  They had me at passionfruit.  So perfect for the spicy food that was to follow.

i-3ckLrK3-X2.jpg

i-Zsgfs9F-X2.jpg

Decided to start with the Barela Marcha.  These are three sweet peppers stuffed with peanuts and all sorts of spices (cinnamon, chili, and coriander were the primary tastes I could find) and covered in more spice. However, these are not hot.  There is a nice level of heat that comes from the chili, but it is not unbearable.  This is something that I would order again and again and again.

i-tftnXWQ-X2.jpg

Next course, I went a little crazy on.  I went with the Gurda Kapoora.  This is goat kidney and testicles simmered with red onion and pao in spices.  This is served with bread, and I used the bread to pick up the gooey goodness.  If you are a little leery of trying offal, this might be a good dish for you.  As the kidneys and testicles are cut up, it isn't as daunting.  I actually enjoy kidneys, but I had never had testicles.  I was able to find a piece of testicle and try it by itself.  It was really clean tasting, if a little perfumy.  I prefer the kidneys, but I am glad I tried this dish.  I would order it again with a group, but not if I just went on my own.

i-qMHndzT-X2.jpg

i-nGbd27z-X2.jpg

i-dKWrp8t-X2.jpg

For my main, I went with the Champaran Meat, which is mutton, with a whole garlic clove and red chili.  The mutton was so tender that if fell off the bones.  The dish was spicy but not overwhelmingly so.  

i-pkSkngX-X2.jpg

i-QskKfkJ-X2.jpg

I am actually looking forward to going back with a larger group so we can try more. There are about 5-6 dishes I am dying to try (I had the same feeling at Semma).  These are great places for groups so you can try a lot more at one time. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Gonna be there next weekend for my wife's birthday for 3 nights. I haven't been in 12 years.

Staying at The Bowery Hotel.

Thursday - dinner at King and want to grab drinks somewhere nearby or near hotel after

Friday - Russ & Daughters for breakfast, then wife wants to do a museum/gallery - Guggenheim, MOMA, Whitney, Fotografiska - any recs? Walk around Central Park after, maybe Bemelman's for a drink

Friday night - no dinner rez yet, but have several Resy notify set, probably just try to walk-in somewhere, then doing Comedy Cellar 10:45pm, drinks after nearby

Saturday - Balthazar brunch, shopping in Soho/West Village, rez at Waverly Inn at 2:30pm, rez at Frenchette 9:30pm, but might switch to something else for dinner.

Is Frenchette a good birthday dinner spot? I'm certainly open to other suggestions for Fri and Sat night. Was also interested in Gramercy Tavern, Carbone, Via Carota, Indochine, Pastis, Dante, Bar Pitti - but no luck with getting a rez, or not sure if it's worth just walking in any of these.

Anybody have any good sushi recs - non-omakase - the wife loves sushi, but can be a little picky about it and would prefer to order what she likes.

Any other restaurant or bar suggestions welcomed.

28 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

Is Frenchette a good birthday dinner spot? I'm certainly open to other suggestions for Fri and Sat night. Was also interested in Gramercy Tavern, Carbone, Via Carota, Indochine, Pastis, Dante, Bar Pitti - but no luck with getting a rez, or not sure if it's worth just walking in any of these.

I still need to do a write up on my pre-Christmas visit but one topical item is that I had a ton of wait list reservs including several of those and didn’t get have any luck at all with things coming open.  I’d definitely make sure being their back-up plan isn’t your first option.  

We did have luck hitting Pastis with no reserve and charming a hostess-also my favorite meal on the trip.  Reminded me of a Friday lunch at Galatoire’s.  

46 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

Gonna be there next weekend for my wife's birthday for 3 nights. I haven't been in 12 years.

Thursday - dinner at King and want to grab drinks somewhere nearby or near hotel after

Friday - Russ & Daughters for breakfast, then wife wants to do a museum/gallery - Guggenheim, MOMA, Whitney, Fotografiska - any recs? Walk around Central Park after, maybe Bemelman's for a drink

Friday night - no dinner rez yet, but have several Resy notify set, probably just try to walk-in somewhere, then doing Comedy Cellar 10:45pm, drinks after nearby

Saturday - Balthazar brunch, shopping in Soho/West Village, rez at Waverly Inn at 2:30pm, rez at Frenchette 9:30pm, but might switch to something else for dinner.

Anybody have any good sushi recs - non-omakase - the wife loves sushi, but can be a little picky about it and would prefer to order what she likes.

Thursday dinner at King, good call.  I have written up all my visits over the last year for my blog and will be posting over the weekend.  It is a great place to go.  

Friday, are you doing the walk in shop R&D or the R&D Cafe?  If doing the R&D walk in, get there right as they open or there will be a line.  Grab your sandwich and then head across Houston to Lazy Llama for good coffee.  As for museum, I would recommend Fotografiska. They have some really cool stuff on exhibit there.  Also, you can see the whole thing in an hour or two.  Other good museums would be the Frick (which is sitting in the old Met Breuer site on Madison as they are renovating the house) and the Neue Galerie (you could hit both of those on the same day).  In fact, you hit Neue Galerie (the Woman in Gold is there, and they have a good Klimt collection), then hit the Frick, then you can stop and have a cocktail at Bemelman's as the Frick is a couple of blocks from there.

Comedy Cellar is right down from Dame.  If you can get in there, I highly recommend that.  They are only open Monday through Friday now.  Might be worth trying to walk in (i.e. show up early and get on the wait list).

Cannot go wrong with a Balthazar brunch.  If you like Alexander McQueen and are going to go there, shoot me a PM and I will send you the people to ask for.  Frenchette is one of my favorite places, but I have found that since COVID, the weekend menus are simpler than the weekday menus.  Not a knock, but something to note.  

You could walk into Gramercy Tavern (in the Tavern, not the dining room) and Via Carota (it is mainly walk-ins).  You might also try Crown Shy or One White Street (the first floor is all walk in but EXCELLENT food) since it is a special occasion (birthday) if those were not on your radar.  The rest would be tough to be a walk in with Carbone being almost impossible.

All the best sushi places are Omakase, but if you are looking at a good one that isn't, I love Sugarfish.  You could also do Nami Nori, which is Temaki (i.e. fancy hand rolls).  Other sushi places that have a la carte and are well thought of are Kanoyama and Rosella, which are both on my to try list.

Are you in town on Sunday?  Brunch at Kokomo is outstanding, but you do have to schlep to Williamsburg.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just as an update, I did dry Jan (except for my birthday weekend), and I decided to spend the month of Feb not going out to eat or ordering in (i.e. cooking at home).  So far, so good.  I am even going hard core and only allowing myself to go out for coffee three times a week.  That being said, I am still trying to get out of the house and do things, but this is the busy/crazy time at work, so it works out.  

17 hours ago, Ramsalot said:

Good list all around.

King is great. You could try the original Dante for drinks after, although it'll be crowded. Little Branch is also close, and then just a bit further up you have bars like Pisellino, Katana Kitten, etc. But I've always liked the small bar in the back of the Bowery Hotel, in case going back to your hotel is easier.

For Friday, it isn't on as many lists as some of the other places you mention, but you can usually get a cancellation at Altro Paradiso through resy. It's one of my favorite places, and a 9 minute walk to Comedy Cellar.  Penelope's suggestion of Dame is excellent, but I really doubt you would have any luck walking in. I never have. 

I'm partial to the Whitney because I'm a member and I think the outdoor stairs give great views of the city, but if you haven't been to MOMA you should go there. The New Museum is relatively near your hotel and also good. All the classic upper east side museums are better if you do Bemelmans, just depends on what art you want to see.  

For Via Carota, if you go put your name in at 5:00pm (probably will already be a line outside), you should be able to get a table for 2 around 8:00. They take your phone number and send you a text when the table is ready, and hold for 15 minutes. I know that can be annoying when you are visiting the city. You can also walk across the street and drink at Pisellino.

Pastis is another one of my regulars, but you will need to get a cancellation on resy. No point in walking in. 

Another idea is Momofuku Ko, which I think is tremendous and has the benefit of being close to your hotel. The wine director there is a buddy of the mine. She slings some great wine on the tasting menu.

For sushi., you should just do omakase. Shuko and Nakazawa are both kick ass. The former has more of a New York vibe with the music and what not, the latter is like being in Tokyo. Both hit the wallet fucking hard. I'm going to Kosaka tonight to try it out. 

All that said, you can change nothing from your itinerary and have a great time. Good work. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Good list all around.

King is great. You could try the original Dante for drinks after, although it'll be crowded. Little Branch is also close, and then just a bit further up you have bars like Pisellino, Katana Kitten, etc. But I've always liked the small bar in the back of the Bowery Hotel, in case going back to your hotel is easier.

For Friday, it isn't on as many lists as some of the other places you mention, but you can usually get a cancellation at Altro Paradiso through resy. It's one of my favorite places, and a 9 minute walk to Comedy Cellar.  Penelope's suggestion of Dame is excellent, but I really doubt you would have any luck walking in. I never have. 

I'm partial to the Whitney because I'm a member and I think the outdoor stairs give great views of the city, but if you haven't been to MOMA you should go there. The New Museum is relatively near your hotel and also good. All the classic upper east side museums are better if you do Bemelmans, just depends on what art you want to see.  

For Via Carota, if you go put your name in at 5:00pm (probably will already be a line outside), you should be able to get a table for 2 around 8:00. They take your phone number and send you a text when the table is ready, and hold for 15 minutes. I know that can be annoying when you are visiting the city. You can also walk across the street and drink at Pisellino.

Pastis is another one of my regulars, but you will need to get a cancellation on resy. No point in walking in. 

Another idea is Momofuku Ko, which I think is tremendous and has the benefit of being close to your hotel. The wine director there is a buddy of the mine. She slings some great wine on the tasting menu.

For sushi., you should just do omakase. Shuko and Nakazawa are both kick ass. The former has more of a New York vibe with the music and what not, the latter is like being in Tokyo. Both hit the wallet fucking hard. I'm going to Kosaka tonight to try it out. 

All that said, you can change nothing from your itinerary and have a great time. Good work. 

Katana Kitten is the tits.  Best bar in NYC IMO.  Love it here.  Great drinks and good vibe.  

Katana Kitten is the tits.  Best bar in NYC IMO.  Love it here.  Great drinks and good vibe.  

It’s also like the only place left in my neighborhood that has a good open kitchen past 11:00 on a weeknight. Gone are the pre-pandemic days of eating at Buvette at 1:00am on a Tuesday. It’s basically Katana, Corner Bistro, or a slice place.

7 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

Huge thanks to Penelope and Reynolds - lots of great suggestions here. Really appreciate it.

I was able to get a rez at Sushi Yasuda on Friday night. Looks to be pretty good - anybody been?

I’ve been many, many times for work lunches. I can’t speak to the atmosphere at night, but the sushi is excellent.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I’ve been many, many times for work lunches. I can’t speak to the atmosphere at night, but the sushi is excellent.

I agree.  The sushi is absolutely excellent.  We were there at night, but were in a private room, so I also cannot speak to the atmosphere.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just as an update, I did dry Jan (except for my birthday weekend), and I decided to spend the month of Feb not going out to eat or ordering in (i.e. cooking at home).  So far, so good.  I am even going hard core and only allowing myself to go out for coffee three times a week.  That being said, I am still trying to get out of the house and do things, but this is the busy/crazy time at work, so it works out.  

Wait, cooking all February?? Manhattan-dweller? Not even ordering out? That’s a bet I’d take against you any day? hahahaa.

Good luck

43 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

Wait, cooking all February?? Manhattan-dweller? Not even ordering out? That’s a bet I’d take against you any day? hahahaa.

Good luck

Thanks.  I will let you know how it plays out at the end of the month.  I picked February for a reason (shortest month of the year).

• Like 1

Frenchette is excellent, and better than Pastis. 

So where should we dine pre-theater when we are in town in April? I prefer walking distance to the theater distance but that walk can be 30 minutes, no issue. Our fallback is Quality Meats or Marea, but Marea apparently is impossible to get a reservation for these days. 

Prefer somewhere with an excellent fish selection for my wife. We very well might do Seema but I'd prefer to not have to take the subway/Uber. 

2 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Frenchette is excellent, and better than Pastis. 

So where should we dine pre-theater when we are in town in April? I prefer walking distance to the theater distance but that walk can be 30 minutes, no issue. Our fallback is Quality Meats or Marea, but Marea apparently is impossible to get a reservation for these days. 

Prefer somewhere with an excellent fish selection for my wife. We very well might do Seema but I'd prefer to not have to take the subway/Uber. 

Winter Garden, right?  Le Bernardin is the answer.  It is half a block away or so and absolutely excellent.

33 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Winter Garden, right?  Le Bernardin is the answer.  It is half a block away or so and absolutely excellent.

Pre-fix places aren’t very good because Mrs Ace is a picky/clean eater and it’s throwing away money (and often things are too sauced or whatever (plus she can’t eat 4 courses and she doesn’t eat anything sweet). You’ll get a kick out of her at our brunch though!