Tell me about New York City

Ok, my self-isolation due to COVID will end on Christmas Eve.  Since I moved back my trip from January to May, I think I am going to do Dry January for the 1st time ever.  My birthday is January 10th, so I am allowing myself to have some wine/champagne that night, but that is it.  
So, plan is that on the 9th, I am going to see the Music Man at a matinee and then have dinner after at Semma.  No drinking on the 9th.  Then on the 10th, I am taking the day off.  So will go downtown in the AM to do one of my workout classes, then will do an early dinner.  Thinking Keens.  I have tickets to Six that night at 8 PM.  Then it is back to the grindstone for the rest of the month. 

I used to always do a dry period starting the day after the Super Bowl and ending on St. Paddys day. I didn’t “ease” back in either, went full throttle and paid dearly for it.

Well, fuck.  So the New Year party I was going to, they have decided to cancel given the crazy rise in COVID cases.  Fortunately, they are refunding me the ticket.  And instead of the party, they are going to do two seatings for dinner.  I have asked to attend the later seating.  Probably for the best, but it still fucking sucks.  

4 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Well, fuck.  So the New Year party I was going to, they have decided to cancel given the crazy rise in COVID cases.  Fortunately, they are refunding me the ticket.  And instead of the party, they are going to do two seatings for dinner.  I have asked to attend the later seating.  Probably for the best, but it still fucking sucks.  

I’ve stayed in my house with takeout and a bottle of Hendricks for the last 8 New Years eves and I’ll never not do it again. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Really?  What was her feedback?

Had she seen the Music Man before?

She’s a big fan of the musical, but hated the set and and thought the choreography was lazy - they don’t build up to a special level and are just kinda there. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

She’s a big fan of the musical, but hated the set and and thought the choreography was lazy - they don’t build up to a special level and are just kinda there. 

Hmm, well it was opening night of previews.  I will see how things change by the time I see it in January (provided Covid doesn't fuck that up).  I will see it again once it is out of previews as well, but my friend is out of town now, so need to coordinate with her.  

On 12/20/2021 at 4:43 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

NYE seems a little too amateur for you anyway.

On 12/20/2021 at 9:35 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Yeah, I have done that too, but I actually had a new black Valentino to wear to this thing.  Sigh.

Haha...well, as Mrs Landomatic always tries to tell me, there will always be another place to wear that.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

NYE seems a little too amateur for you anyway.

Haha...well, as Mrs Landomatic always tries to tell me, there will always be another place to wear that.

Yeah, this was a very, very grown up NYE party.  Black tie.  It would be the first time I would have gone out for NYE in a long, long time.  Sigh.  Oh well.

That is true.  I will be packing it to take to Paris and hopefully, I will have a place.  As it is, I have a lot of other things I need to somehow wear that I had bought for a winter Paris trip that is now a May trip.  Will have to start bringing them out to go to restaurants and bars in NYC.  :D

25 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Yeah, this was a very, very grown up NYE party.  Black tie.  It would be the first time I would have gone out for NYE in a long, long time.  Sigh.  Oh well.

That is true.  I will be packing it to take to Paris and hopefully, I will have a place.  As it is, I have a lot of other things I need to somehow wear that I had bought for a winter Paris trip that is now a May trip.  Will have to start bringing them out to go to restaurants and bars in NYC.  :D

Yeah I promise you won’t be the first person to pull up at Keens in a ball gown 😂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Landomatic said:

Yeah I promise you won’t be the first person to pull up at Keens in a ball gown 😂

fashion show GIF

LOL.  Nothing that fancy.  Just some things I had bought specifically for the Paris trip.  

Earlier this year,  I went to the first Patron cocktail party back at the Met to preview the Surrealist exhibit.  My friend and I went overboard and went full cocktail dresses and heels.  We were definitely overdressed.  The next one I went to in December, we definitely dialed it down a bit.  Slacks and loafers, button downs and sweaters.  We were much more comfy. 

9 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

fashion show GIF

LOL.  Nothing that fancy.  Just some things I had bought specifically for the Paris trip.  

Earlier this year,  I went to the first Patron cocktail party back at the Met to preview the Surrealist exhibit.  My friend and I went overboard and went full cocktail dresses and heels.  We were definitely overdressed.  The next one I went to in December, we definitely dialed it down a bit.  Slacks and loafers, button downs and sweaters.  We were much more comfy. 

Hey, could be worse. You could have a full new wardrobe of island wear for a Caribbean beach vacation that got canceled that you have to try to wear in NYC this winter.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Headed to NYC with the family tomorrow. My wife and youngest son have tickets to Hamilton on Tuesday night. My 13 year-old and I had tickets to a Rangers hockey game for that night, but we just found out the game is canceled because of COVID. So now the kid and I have nothing to do that night while the wife and other kid go to Hamilton. What would you do with a sports-obsessed teenage boy if you had a free night in NYC? The Knicks and Nets are both on the road.

And while your suggestions of strip clubs and peep shows are appreciated, those might have to wait until the next trip.

Edited by HornOnTheBayou

1 hour ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Headed to NYC with the family tomorrow. My wife and youngest son have tickets to Hamilton on Tuesday night. My 13 year-old and I had tickets to a Rangers hockey game for that night, but we just found out the game is canceled because of COVID. So now the kid and I have nothing to do that night while the wife and other kid go to Hamilton. What would you do with a sports-obsessed teenage boy if you had a free night in NYC? The Knicks and Nets are both on the road.

And while your suggestions of strip clubs and peep shows are appreciated, those might have to wait until the next trip.

Unfortunately, this is kind of a sports dead zone if no game is being played.  

Might hit up a Sports Bar with the kid to watch one of those out of town games.  

https://ny.eater.com/maps/best-sports-bars-nyc

• Hook 'Em 2

Good call. And it doesn't necessarily need to be sports-related. I was just thinking about things the 13 year-old would like to do that the 9 year-old wouldn't and the 9 yo absolutely hates sports. We're doing all of the normal tourist things as a family, but now I'm scrambling to find something that just he and I can do that night.

• Hook 'Em 1

Good call. And it doesn't necessarily need to be sports-related. I was just thinking about things the 13 year-old would like to do that the 9 year-old wouldn't and the 9 yo absolutely hates sports. We're doing all of the normal tourist things as a family, but now I'm scrambling to find something that just he and I can do that night.

Call first, many sports bars there won’t let in anyone under 21, even it’s your child.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Bobby Vans is meh.  There are so many good steak options in NYC.  That would be way at the bottom of the list IMO.
I liked Bobby Vans. Esp the one they had near grand central.

True story. When I was moving out of NY two of my drinking friends took me out there. My trust fund friend always insisted on ordering and paying for the wine. After our second bottle my other friend asked what I thought of the wine while fancy wine friend was away from the table.

I said it's damn good. His response was:

Good because these are $500 a bottle

Almost every pub is ready for sports and they are generally open to family's

Times must have changed since 2017 when we last lived in the city. I had a 50% hit rate when we tried to bring our kids for lunch and football to bars/pubs. Can’t speak on evenings/weeknights/holiday periods though.

7 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Unfortunately, this is kind of a sports dead zone if no game is being played.  

Might hit up a Sports Bar with the kid to watch one of those out of town games.  

https://ny.eater.com/maps/best-sports-bars-nyc

We're staying in Midtown, if it helps. 

Me and the 9-yo's Hamilton tickets were originally for the Dec 27 show, but they cancelled everything through the 28th. I managed to get us comparable seats for the 28th, and we're just crossing our fingers that it doesn't get cancelled again.

Edited by austingirl

My boys (12 and 14) loved the Nike flagship store and spent like 2 hours there. Not sure if it’s open late or not. If he likes chocolate he will have a good time at max brenners. Wouldn’t recommend the entrees really just the dessert for kids.
  • Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, harpercollins said:

My boys (12 and 14) loved the Nike flagship store and spent like 2 hours there. Not sure if it’s open late or not. If he likes chocolate he will have a good time at max brenners. Wouldn’t recommend the entrees really just the dessert for kids.

He would love the Nike store. Good call. 

11 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Random, but what’s the deal with dorks just randomly negging PW post.  How fucking sad. 

It’s Johnny Sack of Shit and his bunch of idiots.  Just ignore them.  I have them on ignore, and it has improved my experience on the Surl.  Apparently though, I live rent free in their heads.  

Headed to NYC Jan 5th-9th with my oldest son (22).   Staying on upper west side (Hotel Beacon -2130 Broadway).   He's a big theatre buff so think we are covered there for 2 nights, but looking for a great comedy/improv place as well as a live music (small) venue.   Jazz or old rock n roll place. Not looking for the hippest place, but rather an old classic type venue..  Also, any cheap/medium priced restaurants places on upper west side would be appreciated.  

Thanks

5 minutes ago, txduck87 said:

Headed to NYC Jan 5th-9th with my oldest son (22).   Staying on upper west side (Hotel Beacon -2130 Broadway).   He's a big theatre buff so think we are covered there for 2 nights, but looking for a great comedy/improv place as well as a live music (small) venue.   Jazz or old rock n roll place. Not looking for the hippest place, but rather an old classic type venue..  Also, any cheap/medium priced restaurants places on upper west side would be appreciated.  

Thanks

Comedy Celler for standup. Go for MacDougal street since it’s your first time, but Village Underground is right around the corner and has the same lineup. Now that the old UCB is gone, I don’t know of a good improv place in Manhattan.

For jazz, I like Smalls better than Village Vanguard, but both are great. If you can stay up late or score the right types of intoxicants, they have an “open mic” that starts at like 3:00 am where a bunch of nyu kids just take turns jamming. At least they did pre-COVID, I haven’t been since.

You should reserve in advance for all of the above.

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Comedy Celler for standup. Go for MacDougal street since it’s your first time, but Village Underground is right around the corner and has the same lineup. Now that the old UCB is gone, I don’t know of a good improv place in Manhattan.

For jazz, I like Smalls better than Village Vanguard, but both are great. If you can stay up late or score the right types of intoxicants, they have an “open mic” that starts at like 3:00 am where a bunch of nyu kids just take turns jamming. At least they did pre-COVID, I haven’t been since.

You should reserve in advance for all of the above.

Smallpox’s is awesome. Mug her check to see if the Carlyle has any shows … it’s  a quasi-historic space and cool place to catch an intimate performance.  

1 hour ago, txduck87 said:

Thanks

I don't spend a lot of time on the west side, however, I can recommend Sushi Nonaka on Amsterdam Ave between 79th and 80th.  Their Omakase at $95 in the sushi bar is probably one of the best deals in town.  They also have a garden and indoor dining, with a different menu.  The quality here is excellent, and the quality for the price point is fantastic.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Smallpox’s is awesome. Mug her check to see if the Carlyle has any shows … it’s  a quasi-historic space and cool place to catch an intimate performance.  

Carlyle Cafe still closed due to COVID.  I keep checking back regularly as well.  Here is their website.

https://www.cafecarlylenewyork.com/

Hoping COVID doesn't fuck up my plans over the next week.  It already took out my NYE Party and the backup, so we shall see.

Tonight, dinner at One White Street and a midnight toast.  At least this year, we can sit inside.

Then the 1st starts dey January.  I am making an exception for my birthday weekend (Jan 10 is my birthday, so Jan 8, 9, and 10th I can drink as long as I hit the gym each day).

Sunday, heading to Brooklyn to wander around and get great photos...do tea at Brooklyn High Low then the Dior exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum.

The 9th, have tickets to the Music Man (Sutton Foster and Hugh Jackman should be recovered from COVID by then) followed by dinner at Semma.

The 10th, my birthday on which it is supposed to snow, will go work out at my studio, hit the spa, then dinner at Gramercy Tavern followed by Six (they have also had closings due to cash coming down with COVID so hopefully will be good on the 10th).  Might hit up Katana Kitten after because it is my favorite bar, and that's my last shot until dry Jan is over. 

On the 15th, I have an early dinner reservation at Dhamka.  So excited about that one...

And that is all for now.  There are some great photography exhibits at Fotografiska, so need to hit that before they go away.

Also, want to catch Flying Over Sunset and Cecily Strong's one woman show at the Shed. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/25/2021 at 10:25 AM, HornOnTheBayou said:

Depending on his sport of choice you could visit the flagship stores of MLB, NHL, NBA?

Nike Store in Soho is pretty sweet...I assume the Adidas store is as well, but I've never been

Dinner at One White Street was, as always, amazing.  We toasted champagne at midnight, and after I wrapped up, I was able to take my unfinished bottle (in addition to the wine pairings, I got a bottle of champagne) and there was an impromptu dance party on the first floor.  It was a LOT of fun and lasted until about 2 or 2:30.  I jumped in an Uber (no surge charges, so it was one of the cheapest Uber's I have EVER taken on New Year's after midnight) and headed to my house.  About half a block away is my local bar, so I stopped in and had two cocktails as a nightcap.  Made more friends in the neighborhood, and closed down the bar with them at 4 AM.  Headed home and was able to actually sleep in until about noon.  Woke up with no hangover, which was a great start to 2022.  

Yesterday, did afternoon tea at Brooklyn High Low.  It is a really cute, women owned and operated place, and I highly recommend it.  Just a lot of fun and a nice change of pace.  Then went to the Brooklyn Museum for the Dior exhibit (they also have a Warhol exhibit as well).  The Dior exhibit is absolutely stunning. I need to get some of my pics to upload.  

• Hook 'Em 2

7 inches of snow in Manhattan overnight Thursday. Woke up for my workout on Friday, and it was still snowing.  Made it downtown snow and all.  It was actually very pretty.  Mostly melted.  Hoping to make it to Central Park with the dogs in the AM.  Would have gone this afternoon, but it was fucking cold (around 25).  Will be slightly warmer tomorrow until it rains.  

20220107_061500.jpg

20220107_061508.jpg

20220107_080233.jpg

20220107_080545.jpg

20220107_093509.jpg

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

So I really enjoyed the Music Man.  Both Hugh Jackman and Sutton Foster were really good.  Lots of laughs the entire production.  

I liked the sets.  I thought the train set at the beginning was outstanding.  I liked the sets because they allowed the actors (and costumes which were fantastic) to shine.  

I know there was a comment about simplistic choreography.  It definitely could have been more complicated, but IMO, it didn't detract from the production.  I'll be interested to see it again once it's out of previews. 

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 2