The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

On 9/2/2021 at 10:40 PM, El Diablo said:

Eh, it was disappointing. Got there probably 15 minutes too late for good light and my mind's eye had lied to me about the condition of the building. It's pretty much just a pile of rubble. Still plan on going back, I think maybe with a telephoto and some time, there might be a good detail shot to be had. 

DSC_8177_00001.thumb.jpg.3d7eb433507e7449a12d741fe37f0037.jpg

I was born there

@DougO nice batch. I saw that Belton had a rodeo in the last couple of weeks and had meant to let you know. Seems like an opportunity maybe to sell something if those people have any publications that buy.

I've noticed a change in the birds in my yard over the last month, not so many cardinals, jays or dove. Mostly it's just the normal collection of sparrows though I am hearing some new sounds in the trees but haven't seen the sources yet. Looking forward to something interesting migrating thru soon. 

On 9/6/2021 at 9:59 PM, Post Oak said:

I was born there

They shared maternity duty with the other hospital in town, I think they may have alternated days. Then in the 70's they came to a gentleman's agreement with the Catholics and so the Baptists became the baby hospital and the Catholics became the heart hospital. Then a decade or so later the gloves came off, the Baptists got into the heart game so the Catholics got back into babies. It's been an arms race for quite a while. 

Jared Polin got his hands on a pre-production EOS R3 in the last week or so. 

I just watched the first part of the one on CanonRumors with the British dude. The eye focus thing seems cool. I have it on my old EOS3 but never trusted it with shooting film.
Otherwise that thing looks sick! I’m not thrilled with buying new memory cards and tether cables but I’m excited to try it out.

I just watched the first part of the one on CanonRumors with the British dude. The eye focus thing seems cool. I have it on my old EOS3 but never trusted it with shooting film.
Otherwise that thing looks sick! I’m not thrilled with buying new memory cards and tether cables but I’m excited to try it out.

Also 30fps on electronic shutter? A look a hard drive and data storage companies:
giphy.gif
  • Like 1

The hard drive in my PC died this week and the old version of Photoshop went along with it. Now shooting football most weeks I'm having to edit a ton and don't have my comfort zone. I am resorting to trying to edit with Nikon NX, which has some surprisingly decent tools, but lacking in what I can find so far.

Apparently, you can't even buy a real photoshop version for your computer without the shitty cloud subscription bullshit. Ain't gonna do that. Looking at Gimp or other alternatives. It seems all older versions of PS are crippled on Windows 10, and I can't find the install file for CS3 anyway to even try so far. Without my custom cropping and sharpening actions its going to be a huge headache-inducing bump in editing time. I know people like Lightroom, but I don't. 

If I could at least figure out how to add my watermark to web sized photos that could help a good deal. 

I hate Windows 10 to begin with. It seems to not want you to put things where you want them and it's a constant fight for freedom..

I would be happy buying Elements if it had just a couple more things I need, like some layers and history type stuff. Levels, curves, hue/satch, crop/resize, dodge/burn tool, rubber stamp tool and I'm pretty much there. But I need custom actions so I can automate simple things that take way more time without it.

Moral(?) dilemma - do you share a very intimate snapshot of someone taken when they were very vulnerable if they ask for any photos you might have of a milestone event in their life? Talking 'bout the pic I posted a few months back of my uncle's funeral. One of the cousins in that photo asked me to send her pictures if I had any. I sent a few but didn't share that one. Maybe I'm a big pussy, I don't know. Thoughts? 

DSC_7948_00001.thumb.jpg.ec2393315ce43287e66d74436f1a77b4.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I've been trying Gimp, NX Studio, NX-2, and even the thing that comes with WIndows 10 in a pinch. Each has things that work very nice, but all have major gaps or just weird things that are totally foreign to me compared to basic functions I took for granted in PS. 

I have an install file for CS2 but I'm not even sure it will work. Might have to break down and get a copy of Elements to fill in some gaps, at least.

First saw this old coyote in April, with a completely broken leg. Back then he couldn't even tap the foot to the ground when standing still; I assumed he'd surely be dead within a couple weeks. Weeks later, I saw his mate patiently wait for him as he continued to struggle, still unable to use the leg at all, but nonetheless remarkably alive. Now, he's still limping, but definitely putting some weight on it at times. And looking healthy. Really enjoy seeing this particular animal.

IMG_20211003_201346~2.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 6

22 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’ll probably buy the new DJI drone when it is released. Unless you want to buy it for me Cajun.

Is that a Mavic model? I haven't done a drone yet, just not ready to invest the time in learning. Been intending to get a good one but haven't gotten around to it. What's a good beginner that doesn't cost that much just to prepare me for the real thing when I get more serious?

Is that a Mavic model? I haven't done a drone yet, just not ready to invest the time in learning. Been intending to get a good one but haven't gotten around to it. What's a good beginner that doesn't cost that much just to prepare me for the real thing when I get more serious?

Yeah, it will be the successor to the Mavic 2 Pro That is the one I had but sold it recently to help fund the medium format purchase.

There isn’t much to learn. It’s all pretty intuitive. I don’t know about other brands, but I am guessing you want something with a good camera. I am sure there are a couple of brands that fit the bill and cost less. But you can get the Mavic 2 S for less than $1000. Supposedly the camera is just as good as what was in their flagship Mavic 2 Pro. Only thing is, you can’t shoot full manual (I don’t think you can select aperture if I am remembering correctly). But that might not be a big deal.

I had a lot of fun with mine and got a couple of shots that were very popular. One I sold over 10 prints of without actually trying.

I think this last cool snap has run many of the birds out of here. Hell my feeder didn't even get emptied the last two days. I have heard some interesting tweeters in the trees but haven't seen the source. Hopefully by spring I'll be better prepared for migration. So that leaves us with sparrows for now.

DSC_2869_00001.thumb.jpg.0274dafda5fda6a10517f41db8760122.jpg

• Like 5

About 6 months ago a friend and I were out riding around and saw a yard sale so we stopped to see what they might have. This doll was $5 so she came home with me with no real plan in mind, I figured it would be some interesting bric-a-brac for the new house and that maybe it would end up getting decorated seasonally. Since it's football season this was my first attempt at doing something. Not sure yet where it's going, I'm thinking maybe make a Cowboys touchdown .gif where her head spins and the arms go up and down. We'll see.

DSC_3030_00001.thumb.jpg.c7c4c581f3aa94143fb4422c2b3e6d82.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, nycHorn said:

You should get into something like this….

https://instagram.com/realtoyscene?utm_medium=copy_link

I'm thinking more fun with stop action stuff right now. As a "decoration" I guess the sky's the limit. When I was living in San Marcos the bar I frequented had a doll about the size of this one and they had it done up with electrical tape in a leather bondage look. Hanging from the rafters. Eye catching. 

This thing isn't really articulated enough for me, the arms go up and down and the legs swing straight. Kind of limits the possibilities. I've seen a few pictures of Barbie dolls done up in boudoir settings, some were damn near perfect in the execution. The former owner of this house left some kids clothing here so I may be able to cobble a few looks together at least. Figure if it's fun I may look around at more garage sales though I do like the size of this one, it's right at 3' tall. 

I went for a drive to the Golden Triangle today.  Was hoping for more shots, but still got a few that I am happy with.  The one of the traveler is from Houston on our way out of town.

Also have been watching this guy's book reviews on youtube and really enjoy them:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChdYqyBKz3UgscZxDCNQmrw

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

I tried my hand at shooting a HS football game. I don't know how anyone did this in the days of ASA 400. Anyway, 700 frames and nothing really. If i go again, there's one more home game for this team this year, I'll try a little bit different strategy. Here's 2 shots that are alright I guess but just and without context they aren't even that. #34 made an interception so that explains that one, the other I don't even remember. 

DSC_3195_00001.jpg

DSC_3277_00001.jpg

• Like 5