The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

12 hours ago, naija said:

have to say that's the best photo you've posted so far

Thanks. I'm a bit ashamed to say that the shot came about quite serendipitously. I had the table set, I'd been messing with it all day trying different sizes, colors and shapes of bowls, some dried pecan leaves, some bits and pieces of broken pecan shell etc... using the light from a window to the immediate LEFT that provides a really soft light. I wasn't happy with what I was getting and had gone and gotten a tripod and a wider angle lens and just happened to be there as the light from the other window started to sweep across the table late in the day. I started clicking away, frantically adjusting to eliminate the blown highlights and keep the subject matter within the beam of light. 

Headed down to the coast on Wednesday to fish with my brothers and dad.  There was a pretty big brush fire down near Tivoli.  Made for an apocalyptic sunset.

spacer.png

Struck out with several farmhouses I had hoped would be interesting, but found this one in Austwell.  Even though I am not religious, I am still fascinated by religious iconography and architecture.  This house was covered in pictures of Jesus, Maria, and crucifixes.  There were also a few items that referenced "great grandfather" and that made sense with the number of photos of kids on the walls.  Which made it even more sad, with all those grand and great grand kids, no one bothered to come and clean out the house when he passed.  There were 5 beds in the two bedroom house.  I forgot my tripod, so shot most of these at ISO 1250 and often underexposed to keep from shooting below 1/10 second...so they are a bit noisy.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 7

52 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:
Swayze, I'd like to ride shotgun once with ya' on a road trip.  I enjoy the abandoned homes/buildings pix.

Thanks.

It’s always a crap shoot. Half the time, when I pull up to a location, it doesn’t exist anymore. And when it is still standing, often times it’s either inaccessible or just a let down.

This is just a portion of my map that I track locations:

image.thumb.jpeg.af150e7cafee437f354e1c7d92bebc9a.jpeg

Edited by Patricio Swayze

3 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

From The Point looking at Heinz Field and the Carnegie Science Center.

IMG_3365X.JPG

Pittsburgh is a grossly underrated city. So beautiful with all the hills and rivers. I haven't explored it much other than downtown/Oakland area but I really enjoyed it each time I was there. CMU campus is really nice. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Zwylde said:

image.thumb.jpeg.9cf4146717a8dd9cf5005e2ecef3b63c.jpeg

This morning.  I know this thread isnt for Iphone pics but those colors were too good to pass up.  Wish Swayze could have got it with a real camera.

Not mine but a pic of the same sunrise from the Galveston seawall.  No filters.

image.thumb.jpeg.61afcde4e8b750e82607d96caf2a8d56.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

We rented a party bus on the 26th of December and met up at a buddy's farm and went to town. One stop was up on Mt. Washington and another was at The Point. 

IMG_3360X.JPG

On the far right of this picture, where the Parkway East runs, east, you can notice a ledge there. I'd say it was about 20-25 years ago, during some road renovation work there were workers on the hillside rock and they found a British officer carved his name and rank into the hillside, and it was still there. That was from during the French & Indian War, so, as you historians know, before the American Revolution.

A couple of more.  Not particularly happy with these edits.  In the first one, I kept the power line in as I prefer to not edit things out of photos because that is how it looked.  I have done it before, but extremely rare.  And while I do use lens corrections, I try not to go crazy.  And because of that, I didn't fix the vignetting in the Self Serv sign shot above.  I know, weird things to take stances on.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Lately, I have been rather unproductive shooting in Houston.  Probably because I keep doing my usual routine and have become lazy.  Even though I have consciously decided to document less graffiti, I still will take a few shots, mostly because I haven't seen much else that caught my eye.  I have nearly 10,000 edited photos of train graffiti alone.  Here are a few "whole cars" I have shot recently...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

While at the Peach Bowl we went next door to the College Football Hall of Fame. It was pretty nice. There were a lot of people and the fellow we went with was the Steelers and Pitt announcer so we really had no chance to just stroll without people wanting pictures with Mr. Hillgrove. He had won teh Chris Schenkel Award a few years back so we wanted to find its location in the Hall.

Here are a few pictures from that. First though, the Death Star Arena. It is amazingly huge.

IMG_3417X.JPG

In the digital display for #79 Billy Fralic there was this picture. John Brown was #89. Both were friends of mine and unfortunately both are dead, cancer. John is the one who caught the Sugar Bowl pass from Danny in the win over UGa and Billy is from whom the term Pancake Block originated.

IMG_3439.JPG

Edited by PittsburghTiger
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, DougO said:

I'll probably never see a snowy owl in my lifetime, unless it's in a zoo or something. That's cool as shit.

After watching it fly I don’t have much hope for it. Ones that get spotted in the region usually end up gracing a vehicle. It glides pretty low across streets. Cool video of owl flight: 

Edited by Mdhorn