The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

Patricio Swayze

Another of the old coyote with the broken leg, who the rangers call "Tripod." It's definitely healed enough that he can put some weight on it when walking, though he still runs with it tucked next to his body. Rear right leg - you can see it just slightly elevated while he stands here. 

IMG_20220407_214557.thumb.jpg.3e73acbbc97ac2a0c599e9d5e51b3537.jpg

356162869_IMG_20220407_2145572.jpg.96126daad2b009dab3c05dfbf7b13cfe.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Still have about 10 more frames on the 135 roll of Cinestill 50D.  Really curious to see how they come out.  Will likely take 50D and Ektar 100 120 rolls with me to NM this week.  Maybe one roll of Portra 400.
Here are a few more shots from last weekend:
51993976809_7c13df651b_b.jpg
51985956100_37d6857c07_b.jpg
51984394612_ed1b4f2036_b.jpg
51980529553_f3253ef3df_b.jpg
51980459771_a5431b29d1_b.jpg

You tried Ektachrome yet? You should.

LT, great shots.  I am jealous that you have such access to that part of the country.

Heading out to NM tomorrow.  Really stoked and hopefully I get some good shots.  Taking the EOS R of course, as well as the Pentax 6x7 with 2 rolls of Ektar 100, 1 roll of Portra 400 and a roll of cinestill 50D.  I will use the EOS R for black and white shots as I feel I have better control over the end result.  Problem with these trips is I try to cram as much as I can into them, and I think often that restricts creativity.

I have sold 200 copies of my latest book.  I am really excited and a bit shocked by it.  I was looking at a few publishers that do limited edition books with runs of 200-500 books.  I might try to approach one for my next project.  Maybe with a bit more publicity I could double that number?  Sorry, just really happy about how it came together and people's interest.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

LT, great shots.  I am jealous that you have such access to that part of the country.
Heading out to NM tomorrow.  Really stoked and hopefully I get some good shots.  Taking the EOS R of course, as well as the Pentax 6x7 with 2 rolls of Ektar 100, 1 roll of Portra 400 and a roll of cinestill 50D.  I will use the EOS R for black and white shots as I feel I have better control over the end result.  Problem with these trips is I try to cram as much as I can into them, and I think often that restricts creativity.
I have sold 200 copies of my latest book.  I am really excited and a bit shocked by it.  I was looking at a few publishers that do limited edition books with runs of 200-500 books.  I might try to approach one for my next project.  Maybe with a bit more publicity I could double that number?  Sorry, just really happy about how it came together and people's interest.

Hell yeah, can’t wait!

I bought some stuff to attempt film scanning with my DSLR. We will see how it goes when it gets here later this week. I am also going to try and scan some old slides of Ektachrome and Kodachrome.
  • Like 1

Hell yeah, can’t wait!

I bought some stuff to attempt film scanning with my DSLR. We will see how it goes when it gets here later this week. I am also going to try and scan some old slides of Ektachrome and Kodachrome.

Oh shit hahaha. Weird, I actually meant to ask y’all about doing the same. Currently have two tabs on my browser looking at negative supply and Valoi. I don’t want to buy another lens for it so what is holding me back is not knowing whether my tamron 70mm macro will do a good job or not.

Oh yeah, in case y’all haven’t heard, it’s looking likely that cinestill is going to make 400D 220 film.

Oh shit hahaha. Weird, I actually meant to ask y’all about doing the same. Currently have two tabs on my browser looking at negative supply and Valoi. I don’t want to buy another lens for it so what is holding me back is not knowing whether my tamron 70mm macro will do a good job or not.

Oh yeah, in case y’all haven’t heard, it’s looking likely that cinestill is going to make 400D 220 film.

I did see that. Pretty interesting.

I bought a Skier Sunray 3.0 kit and a Canon 100 2.8 macro (the non-L one, used in bargain condition from KEH). Also looked at the Essential Film Holder which seems good, but ships from England and might take a while.

The Negative Supply stuff is just so damn expensive. The Valoi stuff is supposed to be solid, too, I just liked that the Sunray came with a light source (and I also bought it second hand).

Interesting about the 220 film.  I know there was a 220 Film available recently called Shanghai o think but heard it was pretty low quality stuff.   

id be really interested to see your DSLR scanning rigs when you get up and going. I’ve been scanning with an old Epson Perfection V500 and I like the results but it’s time consuming. 

Also, which Tamron lens exactly is it? I don’t think I’m finding the right one. It really depends on the maximum magnification. 1:1 is ideal so that a 35mm frame will completely fill your camera sensor.

I spaced out. It’s a Sigma 70mm macro. Looking at the specs and it is 1:1. So maybe it would do the trick.

Count me on wanting to see your set up and results as I am definitely interested in this for myself.
  • Like 1

So, a quick-ish DSLR film scanning review. This is great, and works really well. So far I have only tried it on 35mm slides, but the Skier Sunray Copy Box I am using makes quick work of them once you have everything setup and focused.

Since I am not using a copy stand (which is by far the easiest way to do it), I just set up one of my tripods in its wide stance at lowest height, and have my Sirui ballhead on top with it facing 90* down using the slot cutout in the ballhead. I used the built-in spirit levels in the ballhead clamp to make sure that I was level in both axes.

The copy box comes with various film holders. The kit I bought had all three, which are for 135, 120, and 4x5. The 135 and 120 holders have cutouts in the back of them to allow you to place mounted slides, which makes slide scanning ridiculously easy. The other side of the holders have an adjustable film passthrough. The 135 holder adjusts from 40mm to 70mm wide, so it can even fit panorama shots like from an Xpan or Fujifilm TX (though I’d personally just stitch them). The 120 holder can be adjusted from 60mm to 120mm wide, so it can fit anything from a 645 (with some extra space) to a 6x12.

Copy Box and film holders:

64d98c09544eb299b25842bcce6fd76f.jpg
0eade7653d81b96fa77292fbe934c72e.jpg
6a162f205f32db19ce5d22581afdc05a.jpg
c7bb70d079792f487890d2240a7f53a5.jpg
b2515b359d332a4724804b71996f2c47.jpg

Camera setup:

04807d9fd6d942150a67b62478e263f0.jpg

Copy box with 135 holder and slide mounted:

eddee338409890c08b4a06514458fd0f.dng

iPhone macro shot of slide mounted and illuminated.

62a5664f794eee721df945727ea70eac.jpg

To start, I turned the copy box on and put a mounted slide in the 135 film holder. I turned the camera on, then enabled live view on my camera. I physically moved the copy box on the countertop until the illuminated slide filled the viewfinder of my camera. I was a tad too close to the focus point on initial setup, so I moved the arca swiss plate attached to my camera vertically in the ballhead clamp a small amount, which ended up being less than 10mm. I was actually lucky that I didn’t need any more adjustment out of how I have the camera set up (I actually ordered a macro rail that I may or may not send back now). So, YMMV using a tripod. If your tripod has a center column, it should be much easier for you by flipping the legs and using it inverted. My tripods do not have a center column, so I either needed this to work as-is, or add a macro rail for more adjustment room.

Once I was at the right focus distance, I finely adjusted focus using the x10 magnifier in live view and manually adjusting the lens (make sure the lens is in MF mode). Once you’ve got it, you’re ready to start scanning.

I hooked up a manual remote shutter button to the camera and adjusted shutter speed until I found something that worked (1/50 to 1/100, depending on the shot) with the aperture at F/8. Using the lowest native ISO on your camera is probably best.

I scanned 68 slides in about 10 minutes, slightly adjusting shutter speed on some of them if it was a brighter or darker exposure.

Once done, pop them in LightRoom Classic (or your choice of post processor), crop, and slightly adjust exposure/WB, and you are done. Shooting in jpg with a Faithful or Neutral color profile would probably work just fine, I am just raw shooter and did not think to try it.

Equipment used:

Light source and film holder: Skier Sunray Copy Box 3
Camera: Canon 5DIV
Lens: Canon EF 100mm 2.8 Macro USM
Tripod + ballhead

Let me know if you have any questions.

• Like 2

^^^ One thing I forgot to mention is to use an air blower on both sides of your film before scanning.

Now for some examples.

I did use the Faithful color profile from my camera, and adjusted white balance to where it looked most natural to me, using foliage and the sky as my guides. I have a pretty good handle on WB, so I think I did alright. No adjusting of any HSL whatsoever, but I did adjust some levels in order to improve some of the scans, since I was shooting in raw.

Also, Kodachrome actually has a ton of shadow detail, but is also high contrast, so I tried to balance that in the raw file.

These were taken in Bryce Canyon, Zion, and Grand Canyon National Parks in 1975 (processed in June, 1975). Not sure what speed, but likely Kodachrome 64.

2fab8d5768d388149e8b6792b1bbfd70.jpg

8b2fb18f03027a348dfdcccbad89ee11.jpg
a7767cadd40de7ad651a6d115fe29075.jpg
f6bf877ec498205568332417e136540d.jpg
d56a7c3f38eda452a9ae6c0e71fd68bc.jpg
cf0f2183f54100813fd58c61de002f08.jpg
e1538d21b070fd112d458b5e42050cb1.jpg
7b5f75c6de3f722065b1bdd314515d91.jpg
f6eade9016bd68339ca2de397567363b.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

Those all look great, Anton. I have dabbled in copying my old slides with the 60mm macro with the duplicator mount to varying degrees of success. The more contrasty photos of sports stuff with a lot of white areas are a bitch. Some pics do fairly well, but I find the process laborious. I used to do decent with film scanners, but it takes so long to process and fine tune that I would get tired of it and not get a whole lot done in a few hours messing with it. And the bulky stuff attached to my computer was a pain. 

I have some little gadget my Mom bought a couple of years ago that gets good Amazon ratings, look like an old plastic viewer with an usb connector. I haven't really had time to try it yet, but I don't have high expectations.

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lhorn said:

Man you are killing it LTBear.  Amazing stuff!  I went to Yellowstone and all I got is pics of buffalo and elk asses. 

Thank ya, just living the dream up here. Many trips to the park I don't get much, but being in the park 30 times a year means every once in a while, it's perfect. Last 36 hours I've seen wolf, grizzly, fox, coyote, moose, bison, elk, and antelope. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, LTbear said:

Thank ya, just living the dream up here. Many trips to the park I don't get much, but being in the park 30 times a year means every once in a while, it's perfect. Last 36 hours I've seen wolf, grizzly, fox, coyote, moose, bison, elk, and antelope. 

Ok, seeing your postings of Yellowstone is making me want to go up there again soon despite the crowds.  Last visited in October of 2020 and there was hardly anyone there.  A spectacular place.

I have a two week trip planned for the first half of June to the Black Hills, the Badlands NP, and Devil's Tower.  I could possibly be persuaded to alter my plans and head a bit further west if i only had a place to stay.  I am a responsible adult.  Have all of my own hiking gear.  Have my annual NPS pass.  A Texas alum.  If I only had a place to stay....

On 4/17/2022 at 9:28 PM, mininghorn88 said:

Ok, seeing your postings of Yellowstone is making me want to go up there again soon despite the crowds.  Last visited in October of 2020 and there was hardly anyone there.  A spectacular place.

I have a two week trip planned for the first half of June to the Black Hills, the Badlands NP, and Devil's Tower.  I could possibly be persuaded to alter my plans and head a bit further west if i only had a place to stay.  I am a responsible adult.  Have all of my own hiking gear.  Have my annual NPS pass.  A Texas alum.  If I only had a place to stay....

Badlands and the Black Hills are awesome. If you're considering altering your trip (or maybe extending it a bit), I would also consider Theodore Roosevelt NP, which is a couple hour drive from there. Really cool place with a unique landscape and tons of wildlife viewing. 

If you're really considering altering your trip to Yellowstone, yes, be prepared for crowds. Depending on what part of the park you want to be near, I would looks at hotels in West Yellowstone or Gardiner on travelocity, then check Alpine Motel, Antlers Lodge, and Soda Butte Lodge in Cooke City. Cooke City gets you a half hour from the Lamar Valley, which is often a great place for wildlife, but any part of the park can be great. Cooke City is pretty far from the geothermal features if you're interested in that, though. 

On 4/19/2022 at 6:21 AM, LTbear said:

Badlands and the Black Hills are awesome. If you're considering altering your trip (or maybe extending it a bit), I would also consider Theodore Roosevelt NP, which is a couple hour drive from there. Really cool place with a unique landscape and tons of wildlife viewing. 

If you're really considering altering your trip to Yellowstone, yes, be prepared for crowds. Depending on what part of the park you want to be near, I would looks at hotels in West Yellowstone or Gardiner on travelocity, then check Alpine Motel, Antlers Lodge, and Soda Butte Lodge in Cooke City. Cooke City gets you a half hour from the Lamar Valley, which is often a great place for wildlife, but any part of the park can be great. Cooke City is pretty far from the geothermal features if you're interested in that, though. 

As much as I would like to take in Yellowstone on this trip I will wait and do it again during the “off season”. I absolutely hate crowds and particularly in places like that where the openness is a major part of the experience. The last time I was in Yellowstone it was in late October and the crowds were sparse. There were to times when we were the only people at some of the features.

I have been in the Black Hills numerous times and the surrounding region multiple times and absolutely love it. It will be my GF’s first time up there. She will be joining me for a week. She is not quite the hiker that I am so I may do the TR NP by myself.

If time does become a factor what do you recommend at TR?

26 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

As much as I would like to take in Yellowstone on this trip I will wait and do it again during the “off season”. I absolutely hate crowds and particularly in places like that where the openness is a major part of the experience. The last time I was in Yellowstone it was in late October and the crowds were sparse. There were to times when we were the only people at some of the features.

I have been in the Black Hills numerous times and the surrounding region multiple times and absolutely love it. It will be my GF’s first time up there. She will be joining me for a week. She is not quite the hiker that I am so I may do the TR NP by myself.

If time does become a factor what do you recommend at TR?

I can't recommend specific hikes at TR as I haven't spent enough time there, but if you're looking for wildlife much of it can be seen from the main drives through the park, especially in the early morning or evening.