Tell me about Boston

brentntexas

I've accepted temp work for the next few months in the Boston area and having never been in New England area so looking for advice/tips.  I've lived in Michigan and Colorado before and don't mind the cold winters so that won't be a problem.  

Are the people really as rude and racist as people say?  How is snow skiing in that region?  Any recommendations for sports bars or seafood restaurants?  Is there barbeque or Mexican food worth a shit there?

• 11 months later...

The wife and kids are meeting up with the in-laws for a week-long vacation on Cape Cod, but I think we'll have a day in Boston to do something. I've never been... but will be going some time in the future to enjoy it properly... but for now, what's the best use of my time if I'll be with the wife and three kids under 7?

Also, any misc. tips anyone might have about Cape Cod would also be greatly appreciated.

20 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

The wife and kids are meeting up with the in-laws for a week-long vacation on Cape Cod, but I think we'll have a day in Boston to do something. I've never been... but will be going some time in the future to enjoy it properly... but for now, what's the best use of my time if I'll be with the wife and three kids under 7?

Also, any misc. tips anyone might have about Cape Cod would also be greatly appreciated.

Cape Cod is suffering from the massive opiod epidemic, so wear a long sleeve shirt in 90 degree weather if you want to fit in.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

So, I'm looking at doing a status run to keep my Platinum status with AA for the next year.  I need about 3350 EQMS so I was looking around and I can get a little over 4K EQMs for a QUICK weekend trip to Boston.  Fly in late Friday, have all day to do stuff in Boston, then fly out Sun morning.  Flight is $298 - which is a cheap price to pay to keep Platinum (plus I get mini vacation).  Hotel is paid by points.

I've been to Boston before - about 5 years ago.  So, I've done the Freedom Trail and a lot of the big highlights.

So, I'm looking for some lesser known things to do.  Also food/drink recs.

I may go back to the Bell in Hand...that WAS a pretty cool place.

18 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Whatever you do, when you're in Boston, please don't be this person who is a Facebook friend who was in Salem MA...

"Last meal is on the rooftop of the Salem hotel. It was lobster quesadilla."

That's nothing short of criminal

wait-what-james-franco.gif

That would be like saying my last meal in Lockhart Texas would be an Allsups burrito...

Stay in the North End and eat on Hanover Street.  My personal favorites were Bricco and Mare Oyster Bar.  After dinner and a few drinks, go to  Mike's Pastry and get a canole...bring cash though since they don't take CC.  I could spend a few days drinking and eating my way up and down Hanover Street.  Stay at the Battery Wharf Hotel...it's an easy walk to Hanover Street and overlooks the harbor. 

I ate this for lunch today at Saltie Girl. Neptune is good but not worth the wait if there is a wait to get in. 

Staying in the South End area this time. Not a bad location that is also close to the Back Bay area.

Going to the game tomorrow and boycotting Massachusetts beer.

20211019_152638.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hate said:

Do no take a taxi. Take Uber from the airport. It’s 10 minutes from the airport to the hotel I mentioned. The taxi will not take the toll bridge and it will take 30 minutes and cost more.

WhAAAAAAAAAAAATTTT?????

Taxis taking the most expensive route?  You canNOT be serious!!!!

4 hours ago, Hate said:

Do no take a taxi. Take Uber from the airport. It’s 10 minutes from the airport to the hotel I mentioned. The taxi will not take the toll bridge and it will take 30 minutes and cost more.

I'm going to stay in East Boston by the airport.  But, on Saturday I want to know the best/cheapest/easiest way to get to North End and then some of the other places there.

OR...and I'm going out on a limb here....Are there any good places in East Boston by the airport?

Also, are there any HISTORICAL things I can see in that short of a time....

10 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

WhAAAAAAAAAAAATTTT?????

Yeah, I know how that sounded but there is literally a toll road that goes from the airport into the North End that taxis will avoid.  If they took the same route, it would be comparable to Uber. 

Edit: to add, the North End is very "walkable" and you could eat at a different place every night on Hanover Street and not be disappointing.  You can walk or take a short Uber ride to Faneuil Hall as well.  There are lots of bars there if you get tired of hanging out in restaurants. 

Edited by Hate

1 hour ago, Hate said:

Yeah, I know how that sounded but there is literally a toll road that goes from the airport into the North End that taxis will avoid.  If they took the same route, it would be comparable to Uber. 

Edit: to add, the North End is very "walkable" and you could eat at a different place every night on Hanover Street and not be disappointing.  You can walk or take a short Uber ride to Faneuil Hall as well.  There are lots of bars there if you get tired of hanging out in restaurants. 

Thanks!

Any other off the beaten path things I should see in a 1 day trip.  I've been before and done the big things like the Trail and Old North Church, Revere's house, etc.  Just curious if there's something that's quick to get to but not what the tourons go to all the time.

Is there a "favorite" bar you have in that area?

I wish I could remember the names of the bars we stopped in, but for obvious reasons I can't.  There is no shortage of great neighborhood bars in the area though, not even including the bars at the restaurants on Hanover Street.  If you are feeling nostalgic, you could always go to "Cheers".  It's absolutely nothing like what you saw on TV, but it's ok.  We had some drinks and snacks there and have admit that the snacks were pretty good. 

There is also a pretty good eating scene in Chinatown.  It's just south/southwest of Boston Commons.  We just picked a place and stumbled in.  I don't think you could go too wrong with any of the places down there. 

48 minutes ago, Hate said:

I wish I could remember the names of the bars we stopped in, but for obvious reasons I can't.  There is no shortage of great neighborhood bars in the area though, not even including the bars at the restaurants on Hanover Street.  If you are feeling nostalgic, you could always go to "Cheers".  It's absolutely nothing like what you saw on TV, but it's ok.  We had some drinks and snacks there and have admit that the snacks were pretty good. 

There is also a pretty good eating scene in Chinatown.  It's just south/southwest of Boston Commons.  We just picked a place and stumbled in.  I don't think you could go too wrong with any of the places down there. 

Since I'm only up there for a day essentially, I think I'll try to get some NE Yankee food...chowdah, lobstah roll, scrod, etc...

BTW. what are the Rona Rules in Boston right now?

1 hour ago, Hate said:

Bell in Hand is a cool old bar near the North End. As for Chinatown, China Pearl used to have awesome Dim Sum but I haven't been there in years. 

Since I'm only up there for a day essentially, I think I'll try to get some NE Yankee food...chowdah, lobstah roll, scrod, etc...

They are pretty much the same as Texas. No masks were required anywhere I went. Massachusetts had only been “open” for a few weeks before I got there, so some places were struggling to get workers. The high end places on Hanover were fully staffed and had no issues at all. Our hotel bar closed at 10:30 or 11 and there was no room service because they didn’t have the staff. That should be worked out by now.

1 hour ago, Ag with kids said:

Red Sox suck. Everything is open and masks required inside.

On 10/19/2021 at 8:21 AM, Hate said:

My personal favorites were Bricco and Mare Oyster Bar.  

Bricco claims to have invented the Esspresso Martini, it's a good spot.

I like Monica's in North End

2 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

Thanks!

Any other off the beaten path things I should see in a 1 day trip.  I've been before and done the big things like the Trail and Old North Church, Revere's house, etc.  Just curious if there's something that's quick to get to but not what the tourons go to all the time.

Is there a "favorite" bar you have in that area?

Sit at the bars in those restaurants or head over to the wharf / seaport for better bars IMO. Rooftop Bar at Envoy Hotel is a nice scene if the weather is ok.

1 hour ago, BHMCruiser said:

Bell in Hand is a cool old bar near the North End. As for Chinatown, China Pearl used to have awesome Dim Sum but I haven't been there in years. 

Bell is Hand is super bro Thur - Sat nights. It is an old bar but it's packed and rowdy if that's not what you are looking for

1 hour ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Bricco claims to have invented the Esspresso Martini, it's a good spot.

I like Monica's in North End

Sit at the bars in those restaurants or head over to the wharf / seaport for better bars IMO. Rooftop Bar at Envoy Hotel is a nice scene if the weather is ok.

Bell is Hand is super bro Thur - Sat nights. It is an old bar but it's packed and rowdy if that's not what you are looking for

Agreed

17 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

WhAAAAAAAAAAAATTTT?????

Lol… I spent a few months in Boston back in 1999 and a cabbie took full advantage of the 20 year old me. I was just across the Charles River bridge in Boston and needed to get back to my brother’s place in Cambridge. Almost an hour later the dude dropped me off and charged me something like $75. I was young and naive. 

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Omni Parker House had the best chowder I’ve had, thick, rich and creamy…. Oh, my!  Loved their PH rolls and Boston Cream pie.  

Omni Parker House claims to have invented the Boston Cream pie. I stayed there a few years ago for work and my colleague (who'd never been to Boston before) literally ate like four of them a day. It was utterly preposterous. Neat old hotel, too, but showing its age and the rooms are expensive and small. But the bar is cool. 

I remember them being small but four is a bit much even for my fat diabetic ass.  Union House was good for oysters.  Cheers is my favorite show so I definitely had to make the trek there, don’t remember the food being anything extraordinary.  

Fenway was a cool tour if that holds any interest for you.  

Edited by Underdog

4 hours ago, Underdog said:

I remember them being small but four is a bit much even for my fat diabetic ass.  Union House was good for oysters.  Cheers is my favorite show so I definitely had to make the trek there, don’t remember the food being anything extraordinary.  

Fenway was a cool tour if that holds any interest for you.  

Fenway Tour sounds cool.  Only 2 real BB stadiums left(Wrigley is the other)...I think I may try to do that and then start eating and drinking my way back towards the airport.

2 hours ago, mycox said:

That isn't a bad option. Start at Fenway and walk to the north end. Lot's of $1 oyster happy hours on the way. Democracy Brewing isn't a bad stop.

~$12 Uber from the north end.

This. From Fenway, walk across the David Ortiz bridge towards the Citgo sign, hang a right on Commonwealth. On your right towards the Kenmore T stop is Island Creek Oysters. Definitely stop there. If it's a nice day, you can stroll up Commonwealth, through the Boston Common, past the Old State House, and then over to Hanover Street.

In the North End, the Daily Catch, Pomodoro, and Carmelina's are our favorites. And yes to cannoli from Mike's.  Do not expect to use a credit card in the North End. Most places are cash only.

If you want to stay close to east Boston, the Harpoon Brewery is kind of fun in a southie sort of way.

Edited by Cap33
more info
  • Hook 'Em 1