AnonymousInternetPoster

Pocket knife, fixed blade, machete, tomohawk all encompassing thread

my everyday pocket knife.  intimidates the shit out amazon prime boxes.

H5iJ6JX.gif

*damnit, how do you embed imgur gifs?

Edited by captained

20 hours ago, retread said:

imgur has surlyhorns blocked. You can use imgbox, imgbb or tinypic.

much appreciated...time to see if this works now:

E099_A3_BD_95_DA_4_C70_9482_F872_CEBD760

12 hours ago, Tap said:

Or skip that and get a microtech ultratech

Nice...some of those can be had for <$250 which is reasonable. If the one I have was full price, I would probably opt for that microtech as I like the look of the handle quite a bit more. At $99, though...

I just got this Massdrop Crux in, designed by Ferrum Forge, made by WE. It's probably the best knife for the money I've ever bought. I'd take it over any of the 3 Hinderers I've owned or the spyderco Nirvana. It's as well done as any CRK knives I've had also. To me the Ferrum forge knives have always been about the best looking blade design around, but a little beyond what I wanted to spend on a knife I'm going to use.

Spyderco recently pissed me off after having been my favorite knives most of my life, so I pretty much carry a CRK and a GEC of some sort every day. This will definitely be getting a lot of pocket time though. I'll probably be looking at more of the massdrop knives too. I don't love the massdrop stamp on the blade, but at least it's on the back side and small. eb69704c4a31b33a756cd0bb869fbc42.jpg986bc81526076bdf850ba9e0fcfb4f55.jpg

I picked up a Ferrum Forge Gent in S35VN through Massdrop a few months ago.  Smoothest flipper I've ever had by a large amount, and a terrific knife.  It's in my EDC rotation.

Looking for hatchet recs.  Want to get a hatchet for my 12 year old son.  Got him a Fiskars hatchet because I love my Fiskars splitting axe and within 30 min of chopping pine the blade on the hatchet was ruined.  The edge actually folded over.  I've never seen that before.  

I got him this:

046561275501.jpg

Can't tell if I just got a bad one, or if these just don't hold up like the Fiskars axes do.  I've already taken the hatchet back to Lowes.  I don't want to spend a bunch as he's just going to beat the shit out of it, but I want something that will hold up.  He doesn't abuse it, he just gets after it.

Here is a pic of the blade folded over. The second pic is the 4 year old axe that has split several cords of wood but has never been sharpened. One of these things is not like the other. dffd0b9470596e40759debdfe8e3368a.jpg27b81a9a7d431acaf38510cb7c6c7a2a.jpg

Could be a bad heat treat for sure. Pretty sure he didn't hit some rocks or other hard things somewhere along the way? 

And it could also be that you got super lucky with the heat treat on your axe. I would be tempted to give another one a go. I think I might have tried to sharpen the first one and see how it did. Sometimes automatic edge grinding can get too hot and draw the temper at the edge only. 

Edited by TwiceHorn

He's really careful about what he hits with his knives and axes, and I was watching him use it for a while.  Basically, he cut through a smaller log and then he limbed a stick so he could whittle it.  That's it.

I guess I'll give it another go with another one.  The hatchet gets great reviews, but every so often someone complains about the blade chipping or dulling prematurely.  I wonder if their QC isn't quite where it should be?

Soooo... How many of you Nostradamus fucks have been practicing throwing your tomahawks?  I have been.

Sorry for the poor quality pic, but I don't have this hatchet with me right now, so these are pictures that were sent to me that I have on my computer.

This hatchet was the gift given to everyone who bought a ticket for the USMC Birthday Ball last year.

oSi4fGc.jpg

vi7zEUt.jpg

xlUKl7f.jpg