Jump to content

Pocket knife, fixed blade, machete, tomohawk all encompassing thread


AnonymousInternetPoster

Recommended Posts

On 1/30/2022 at 11:23 AM, BabaYaga said:

Wish Winkler was affordable....

Sigh

winkler-sayoc-rnd-full-size-front-spike-

Full disclosure I ordered one after binging all the Jack Carr Terminal List books.  Was a 16-20 week lead time around Thanksgiving.  I went maple and no spike since I am unlikely to go on a successful globe hopping vengeance fueled rampage.  Regretting it now though since it looks so cool/unique.

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/28/2022 at 12:31 PM, speed817 said:

Picked up a new EDC

PXL_20220128_181425439.thumb.jpg.b271748cbacc2c60d850efb63c6ba2ef.jpg

I was not familiar with Civivi until looking them up after your post.  I had heard of We Knife but ignored them because China.  I am a total sucker for Damascus and Damasteel though, love flippers as well as Micarta so I bought this one and love it.  Button lock also turned out to be a plus, my first one.  Anyway I went on a spree and bought five other Damascus Civivi's.  This one turned out to be one of my favorites out of the six.

Early thoughts on the other five:

Pintail in Damascus/Wood.  I knew this was small but its just too small for me to carry and use.  Very nice though.  I love the blade geometry and the wood scales are amazing for the price point.  I would love this knife in like a 3.5" blade and 4.5" handle.  As it stands I'm going to give it to my grandson, its a good size for a kid.

Mini Asticus in Damascus/Wood.  This is about as small as I can go.  3.25" blade ~4" handle.  Again, the scales are crazy good for the price point.  I like this knife enough to keep it but if it was not Damascus, I wouldn't.

Elementum in Damascus/Carbon Fiber.  I thought I would like this more than I did.  I debated returning it.  Button lock, which again is new to me but I like a lot.  However unlike the Cogent it's not an assisted flipper.  Not a huge deal as the action is great and it flips open and closed easily but when I bought it I thought it had a flipper and I would not have bought it if I knew it wasn't.  I don't love the scales, they are slippery.  Looks nice though.

Praxis in Damascus/Copper.  This is a beast.  I've never had anything with copper scales and this motherfucker is heavy.  Like, way too heavy to pocket carry in gym shorts which is my default outfit.  That said it is a very good looking knife and I put it on display even though I will likely never use or carry it.

Riffle in Damascus/Wood.  This is my favorite out of the six.  I love the cutout on the blade.  The scales, like the other wood Civivi's, are perfect.  Handle length is perfect for me.

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I saw this CJRB Scoria on a YouTube video about best budget knives and I liked the look of it enough to get it.  It's some kind of powder formed steel with black DLC that has a questionable pedigree, but nice Micarta scales.  Overall dimensions are perfect for my ideal carry knife.  I paid $70 delivered so I am not sure that qualifies as budget but I like the knife.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good looking knife.  The grind on that looks . . . interesting, esp. near the heel.  Maybe it's just the angle of the photo or the lighting.  

I kinda like the look of the finish, but I wonder if the serrations or filing on the spine would be hard on a thumb if you're doing detail work.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Good looking knife.  The grind on that looks . . . interesting, esp. near the heel.  Maybe it's just the angle of the photo or the lighting.  

I kinda like the look of the finish, but I wonder if the serrations or filing on the spine would be hard on a thumb if you're doing detail work.  

 

The vine work on the spine is no worse than jimping on the thumb or finger. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Good looking knife.  The grind on that looks . . . interesting, esp. near the heel.  Maybe it's just the angle of the photo or the lighting.  

I kinda like the look of the finish, but I wonder if the serrations or filing on the spine would be hard on a thumb if you're doing detail work.  

 

51890008128_55faba3b73_b.jpg

 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/12/2022 at 7:37 PM, Hozz said:

Full disclosure I ordered one after binging all the Jack Carr Terminal List books.  Was a 16-20 week lead time around Thanksgiving.  I went maple and no spike since I am unlikely to go on a successful globe hopping vengeance fueled rampage.  Regretting it now though since it looks so cool/unique.

Damnit! Now I want a Winkler axe. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...
On 6/27/2022 at 4:43 PM, Horn_Spanker said:

Leatherbeltman Knife Sharpening Angle Guide fits 1X30 Belt Sander with Assorted 6 Pack of 1X30 Sharpening Sanding Belts

Just ordered this to put on an old Delta 1"x30" belt sander.  My kitchen knives have viable chunks missing due to using those cheap "pull through" sharpeners.  Hope this works and doesn't fuck them up more.

You can generate a lot of heat at the edge using a belt sander or grinder and draw the temper from the edge portion of the blade.  Use the slowest speed setting and very light pressure.  Also, watch that the belt doesn't catch a tip and sling around the room.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since my knives already had a profile, I found all the grits up to 800 were way too aggressive.  (luckily I practiced on a shit knife)

I don't have a leather strop, so used a muslin wheel with green compound.  All the large knives (chef, cleaver, etc.) in the house are now very sharp, thin blade knives (paring, steak, etc.) were too dangerous to use this.

Guessing I'll now put it away for a couple years?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/17/2022 at 3:59 PM, noharleyyet said:

Picked this Lucas Forge up in January...

51779568981_2802897a36_b.jpg

 

Priced a few out, those are a really good deal.  Love the rustic appearance.  Remind me of Winkler knives

O-1 high-carbon tool steel

  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I need a rec for an 8 year old boy's birthday.  He has a couple and loves collecting them, but he's only allowed to use them under strict supervision.  They stay locked up in the gun safe.

I was looking at the Ken Onion Ripple, which my husband carries, but it seems a bit much for an 8yo.  However, I don't know shit.  And no, I'm not asking my husband.

I'd like to keep it under $50.  What do you recommend?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

In retirement, my pops has started camping a hell of a lot more often albeit in his pull behind camper. A few months ago when I was with him I noticed the shitty excuse for a camp hatchet he had, so I’m going to get him a new one for Christmas. It will get a lot of use, so I’m not looking for something fancy, just quality. I have a Prandi that I really like, so I’m thinking either a Prandi or Ned Foss. Any thoughts between the two or other recs around that $50 price point?

http:// Prandi German Style Hatchet - PRA0306TH https://a.co/d/6Bwd8V7

http:// NedFoss 15" Hatchet, Chopping Axes and Hatchets for Wood Splitting and Kindling, Forged Carbon Steel Bushcraft Axe Head Beech Wood Handle, Retro Leather Sheath https://a.co/d/28NxF5v

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/23/2022 at 1:45 PM, JSB said:

In retirement, my pops has started camping a hell of a lot more often albeit in his pull behind camper. A few months ago when I was with him I noticed the shitty excuse for a camp hatchet he had, so I’m going to get him a new one for Christmas. It will get a lot of use, so I’m not looking for something fancy, just quality. I have a Prandi that I really like, so I’m thinking either a Prandi or Ned Foss. Any thoughts between the two or other recs around that $50 price point?

http:// Prandi German Style Hatchet - PRA0306TH https://a.co/d/6Bwd8V7

http:// NedFoss 15" Hatchet, Chopping Axes and Hatchets for Wood Splitting and Kindling, Forged Carbon Steel Bushcraft Axe Head Beech Wood Handle, Retro Leather Sheath https://a.co/d/28NxF5v

you might look at condor and estwing as well.  in that price range, well-made and highly-rated.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is the most expensive pocket knife I’ve ever bought.  It has a bi-metal blade, the tips is reportedly delicate but it gets sharp as can bee and holds an edge.  I like carrying it and it matches my wrist watch (lol).

 

76F8F73B-BFA4-4F35-811A-0ECA76D5F621.jpeg

EA79B2AD-AED8-4945-944D-E20DCB4F3E6F.jpeg

E235E58E-1181-4470-8E40-FFB3F510FD71.thumb.jpeg.23510f4b7ecf62969bdb5f42e150b6fa.jpeg

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My wife recently started carrying one of my Civivis, made me proud.  I think someone here on one of the knife threads recommended it.  Cogent, button lock flipper in Damascus and green micarta.  I love both flippers and button locks so it is probably my favorite Civivi.  

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Hozz said:

My wife recently started carrying one of my Civivis, made me proud.  I think someone here on one of the knife threads recommended it.  Cogent, button lock flipper in Damascus and green micarta.  I love both flippers and button locks so it is probably my favorite Civivi.  

I bought that one earlier this year.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Winkler's are awesome.  I will put in a plug for TRC Knives out of Lithuania.  DLT Trading is the best place to get them in the US.  They work with more modern materials, usually, and the fit and finish provides a lot of value at their $350ish price point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



√ó
√ó
  • Create New...