2018-19 Big 12 Basketball Thread

Horny Bull

I don't think it's a stretch for the Big 12 to end up with 4 Top 20 teams by the end of the year.
I honestly believe that the Big 12 has 7 teams among the top 35 in the country but may not have any of the best 10. If KU had not lost their best inside player for the season or Tech had a decent true point guard, either would be Top Ten easily.

Makes the conference seem weak, but it's very tough, top to bottom

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I didn’t realize KU is shooting under 30% from 3 this year. Of course I’m sure Self doesn’t have them chunking up 40 of them a game so it probably doesn’t hurt them as much as us.

Yeah, it’s bad. And that includes Vick’s blistering hot start. It’s pretty much the worst case scenario for most likely weakness of this team.

52 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

You've gotta blow out KU to beat them at home.  No way the refs let you win a close one. 

The travel call on Bane was one of the worst calls I've seen this year, easily. And the game was still within reach at that point.

He performed a legal Euro step and got fouled. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

9 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

The travel call on Bane was one of the worst calls I've seen this year, easily. And the game was still within reach at that point.

He performed a legal Euro step and got fouled. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Yeah, that call was bullshit and the refes sucked but we still had 20 turnovers.  It's hard to win a game with 20 turnovers.  Robinson played tight and was trying to do too much and the freshmen were having trouble adjusting to KU's quickness and length.  That was a little different than the competition they've seen in non-conference.  You have to make better passes than that in big time college basketball.  It was a good learning experience for them though.  The bright side is that we only played 7 guys and 3 were freshmen.  Those freshmen all played 22-27 minutes and two scored in double figures against KU on the road.  Once Jaylen Fisher gets back, I think Robinson will settle down some and those 3 freshmen, especially Samuel, are going to get better as the season goes on. 

5 hours ago, angelos's frog said:

Yeah, that call was bullshit and the refes sucked but we still had 20 turnovers.  It's hard to win a game with 20 turnovers.  Robinson played tight and was trying to do too much and the freshmen were having trouble adjusting to KU's quickness and length.  That was a little different than the competition they've seen in non-conference.  You have to make better passes than that in big time college basketball.  It was a good learning experience for them though.  The bright side is that we only played 7 guys and 3 were freshmen.  Those freshmen all played 22-27 minutes and two scored in double figures against KU on the road.  Once Jaylen Fisher gets back, I think Robinson will settle down some and those 3 freshmen, especially Samuel, are going to get better as the season goes on. 

You guys kinda ran into a tough situation (which is always how it works at AFH).  I was really worried about Agbaji because we popped his redshirt.  He's a lot bigger/longer than I thought he would be once he got on the floor.  Additionally, that is the most passionate defense we have played all year and he was the catalyst.  We were putrid on offense for the most part, dedric Lawson saved our asses, but if Agbaji comes in and acts like a true frosh then you guys probably walk away with a win or a VERY close loss.  

Trust me when I say that all of KU nation is either praising HCBS for popping that redshirt or they are blasting him for redshirting Agbaji in the first place.  The guy made a difference on defense, offense, and with the overall energy and passion of the team.  It felt like we had more intensity last night than we have had all year.

I'm a lot calmer than I was after the ISU loss but it is wayyyy too early.  We still haven't won on the road. We are going to be lucky to win 5 on the road.  4 is more feasible.  That's a 12 win season in conference.  Maybe good for a tie.  I don't know if it is a winner..

Edited by Jhawk

5 hours ago, Jhawk said:

I'm a lot calmer than I was after the ISU loss but it is wayyyy too early.  We still haven't won on the road. We are going to be lucky to win 5 on the road.  4 is more feasible.  That's a 12 win season in conference.  Maybe good for a tie.  I don't know if it is a winner..

4 on the road is 13-5. That gets a share. It’s why holding serve at home is so damn important.

14 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We’re going to lose to KSU in Hilton.

These aren’t the droids you’re looking for.

KSU is a really really good defensive team as is at least half the conference. And there are no high scoring teams in the league. There are going to be a lot of games just like the one going on @ Hilton this year.

Pokes get a road win at WV. And you guys were all saying we suck the other night. We’re going to be the surprise team of the Big XII this season.

Surprise meaning not last place. We’re not a tourney team but could maybe finish 6th instead of last, which would be good for this team considering the turnover from last year and the incoming talent next year.

Surprise meaning not last place. We’re not a tourney team but could maybe finish 6th instead of last, which would be good for this team considering the turnover from last year and the incoming talent next year.

I thought I’d give optimism a shot. Feels weird. Yeah, surprise as in 6th or 7th place. But I’m talking out my ass and really have no idea. Split with OU, don’t finish last, and be mentioned in March would be a successful season. Oh, and sweep KU and TT, but get swept by Baylor and KSU. Cuz that’s what we do.