Jump to content

What's the Foo up to?


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I need to give it more of a listen.  Foos definitely don't seem to be fading though.

Sonic Highways was pretty bloated and crappy (although it had some catchy moments).  Concrete & Gold is fairly standard Foos (not as vital as say Wasting Light), but it's a solid album to throw on driving down the road and needing a little rock.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
Link to post
Share on other sites

If Sonic Highways hadn't been billed as this project that was supposed to incorporate all these elements of the various cities, I'd like it more.  None of the songs really show much influence of the place they were recorded and end up sounding like Foo Fighter songs, which obviously they are, it just didn't really land where they thought it would.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2019 at 2:57 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

Sonic Highways was pretty bloated and crappy (although it had some catchy moments).  Concrete & Gold is fairly standard Foos (not as vital as say Wasting Light), but it's a solid album to throw on driving down the road and needing a little rock.

I think the songs on Concrete and Gold are more interesting than most of what's on Wasting Light. Wasting Light's not bad or anything, it's just a little too paint by numbers for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I think the songs on Concrete and Gold are more interesting than most of what's on Wasting Light. Wasting Light's not bad or anything, it's just a little too paint by numbers for me.

Wow really?

I basically have the complete opposite opinion about those two albums. :)

I think Wasting Light is the most vital, interesting Foo record of the late part of their career.  It's my favorite full album of theirs since the early albums, probably because they ditched a lot of the acoustic stuff they'd been doing and made a straight garage band rock record.

I think Concrete and Gold is just fine, but it feels like a paint-by-numbers version of their albums that have come out since In Your Honor.... mixing up the loud power ballad stuff with acoustic flourishes, etc.  I like all of that stuff just fine, I just think Wasting Light really stands out among those albums as a throwback to what they used to do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Wow really?

I basically have the complete opposite opinion about those two albums. :)

I think Wasting Light is the most vital, interesting Foo record of the late part of their career.  It's my favorite full album of theirs since the early albums, probably because they ditched a lot of the acoustic stuff they'd been doing and made a straight garage band rock record.

I think Concrete and Gold is just fine, but it feels like a paint-by-numbers version of their albums that have come out since In Your Honor.... mixing up the loud power ballad stuff with acoustic flourishes, etc.  I like all of that stuff just fine, I just think Wasting Light really stands out among those albums as a throwback to what they used to do.

I felt like Concrete and Gold was more organic, a la "it's time to make a record because we've got all these songs and ideas we've been collecting and working on". Wasting Light seemed like more of a trifle-- "it's time to make a record HEY I KNOW let's splash around in Dave's pool and work on the songs in our spare time". 

I just don't feel like they put as much of themselves into Wasting Light as they did Concrete and Gold-- or to say it another way, it doesn't FEEL like they did, to me, listening to the two records. 

Any band that's around as long and as successful as the Foo Fighters had to fight a certain amount of career inertia. I think they do a great job of trying to keep it fresh, whether it's performing live or writing. But I think they're human and their creativity is pretty hit-or-miss at this point. When it misses, it's almost never BAD, per se. It's just sort of B-, middle-of-the-road Dad rock stuff. There's still passion in it, but it's not necessarily very interesting. Concrete and Gold is more interesting to me than Wasting Light even though it too is hit-or-miss.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stc said:

wasting light is by far the better album. i would say concrete and gold is the definition of middle of the road dad rock. 

Yeah don't really want to pile on, but this exactly.

There's nothing on Concrete & Gold that even remotely compares with Bridge Burning, Rope, or White Limo.  Hell I'd put Arlandria, Miss the Misery and I Should Have Known above anything on that album as well.

I think about the only song on Concrete & Gold that stands out to me is Dirty Water, but that's probably because it sounds like it could have been on There's Nothing Left to Lose (my favorite Foo album).

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This has probably been posted, but I don't care, it makes me smile.  I don't really like this song all that much and I hate the Rickroll cultural thing, but damn if the guy didn't step up and perform.  Plus, as an unrelated aside, Shiflett and Hawkins are both absolute monsters on their instruments.  Those guys, yeesh.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It was pretty clear to me.  He was basically saying that the Foo Fighters seem much safer than Nirvana.  They are.  They weren't early on.  They still rock.

"The Colour & The Shape" is very accessible. It is also one of the best rock albums of the 90's, and can be argued to be superior to any Nirvana album.

Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I know it was sanctioned by Dave Grohl, since he sang on the damn thing, and Taylor Hawkins played and whatnot, but I am so completely over the modern "constipato" style of singing.  Practically every one of those people sounded like they were struggling to take a shit.  Then, we get Chris Martin wearing headphones over his stupid stocking cap.

I liked the rap.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It was pretty clear to me.  He was basically saying that the Foo Fighters seem much safer than Nirvana.  They are.  They weren't early on.  They still rock.

"The Colour & The Shape" is very accessible. It is also one of the best rock albums of the 90's, and can be argued to be superior to any Nirvana album.

I was over them when they appeared on an episode of Top Chef. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...