Jump to content
sidis

The France Thread

Recommended Posts

never been to europe before,  just flying into paris for 5 days and then back to houston.   what vicinity would you suggest our hotel be? what would be the most convenient to restaurants, shops, museums, etc?   we will most likely not venture out of the city to see any countryside, but am looking forward to it just the same.  i haven't been a tourist in a long time.  please tell me the cant miss places for someone who's never been.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

never been to europe before,  just flying into paris for 5 days and then back to houston.   what vicinity would you suggest our hotel be? what would be the most convenient to restaurants, shops, museums, etc?   we will most likely not venture out of the city to see any countryside, but am looking forward to it just the same.  i haven't been a tourist in a long time.  please tell me the cant miss places for someone who's never been.

all the cool people stay in St Germain in the 6th.  6th or 7th district is great

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

never been to europe before,  just flying into paris for 5 days and then back to houston.   what vicinity would you suggest our hotel be? what would be the most convenient to restaurants, shops, museums, etc?   we will most likely not venture out of the city to see any countryside, but am looking forward to it just the same.  i haven't been a tourist in a long time.  please tell me the cant miss places for someone who's never been.

if you want to be in the center of the universe, the 1st, 5th, 6th, or 7th arrondissement.  however, everyone has their own experiences and the places they love that are scattered all over.  one of the things i would strongly recommend is a place near a metro stop and a willingness to learn the metro/rer.  it makes where you stay virtually irrelevant as it is one of the best and most convenient in the world.

i like le marais the most (4th). 

as for spots, you need to give a bit more on what you like to do.  art & architecture, food, history, activity, religious, etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

all the cool people stay in St Germain in the 6th.  6th or 7th district is great

Listen to this man. 6th arrondissement or gtfo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, sidis said:

i like le marais the most (4th). 

I visited Paris for the first time last November, and we stayed about 9 days in Le Marais, real close to the St. Paul metro stop.

I never had the strong desire to go to France, and went for a good friend's 50th birthday.  I really wanted Paris to be overrated.  It wasn't.  I loved Paris, and can't wait to go back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I visited Paris for the first time last November, and we stayed about 9 days in Le Marais, real close to the St. Paul metro stop.

I never had the strong desire to go to France, and went for a good friend's 50th birthday.  I really wanted Paris to be overrated.  It wasn't.  I loved Paris, and can't wait to go back.

Sames.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just went 2 weeks ago for a few days...cheap airfare.  Stayed near Louvre and it wasn't too bad in March - sure that is much shittier in June.  Biggest headache is metro line 4 out at two stations closest to me and google maps sucks at rerouting around it. Also perpetual construction. 

Got a really great apartment once that was near Near Rue Saint-Maur. metro - almost across the street from pere lachaise cemetery (Jim Morrrison, Edith Piaf, etc) - real easy access to central paris, quiet area but still plenty to do and way cheaper than near the seine.  Try VRBO to find a place if you have planning time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are going in November, Daughter will be studying abroad in Reims for the semester.   We are probably going to spend a couple of days there and then Paris for 4-5 days.   We have been to Paris but not Reims.   Any Recommendations for Reims? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Teddyballgame said:

We are going in November, Daughter will be studying abroad in Reims for the semester.   We are probably going to spend a couple of days there and then Paris for 4-5 days.   We have been to Paris but not Reims.   Any Recommendations for Reims? 

We took a day trip to Reims.  The WWII surrender museum is kinda cool.  We had lunch at Le Jardin, and then a tour at Tattinger.  Would recommend both.  The Tattinger tour was great because you go way down below grade in centuries old caverns. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

11 minutes ago, Teddyballgame said:

We are going in November, Daughter will be studying abroad in Reims for the semester.   We are probably going to spend a couple of days there and then Paris for 4-5 days.   We have been to Paris but not Reims.   Any Recommendations for Reims? 

See the cathedral. Drink champagne.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I figured as much not a lot going on there except the champagne houses.  Think we may just stay for a night as I really want to get down to Normandy.  (is this doable on a day trip out of Paris?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Teddyballgame said:

I figured as much not a lot going on there except the champagne houses.  Think we may just stay for a night as I really want to get down to Normandy.  (is this doable on a day trip out of Paris?)

Yeah you can do that easy...get a early start and can be there by 9/10am

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

I enjoy staying up in montmartre and using the metro...short walk to sacre Coeur and get a more local vibe 

Try climbing out of the fucking metro if you are fat and old and you might get to experience Europe's advanced health care system

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i hate monmartre.  another vote for le marais.  quintessential paris imo. 

Yeah, I was not a fan of Monmarte.  We did walk down from there to Boulevard de Clichy, where Moulin Rouge and all the strip clubs and sex shops are, which was pretty fun for three couples drunk off wine.  Paris sex shops can make American sex shops look like Gymboree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I'll be in Provence in June and Paris in July, so ditto.

 

I’ll be there second week of August. Staying at the HI near the St Michaels metro/Notre Dame. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wife & I will finally be taking our 50th (51st by then) Anniversary tour this summer.

Flying to London to meet 4 Brit friends - our host has rented a 3Br 3bath flat in a good location for 8 nights.

Then across the Channel on a hydrofoil for a 2 night stay by  Normandy's Omaha Beach.

Then driving (in host's Mitsubishi Shogun) down to his French farmhouse in Chaillac (Central France) for a week. He bought the 200 year old house/barn several years ago - has gutted the interior and built a new 2 story 5,000 sq/ft McMansion inside:

F440_DA72_0328_4619_A4_F9_45_CCFAD35_A90

3_A1_F2_B33_5215_48_FA_BF4_D_6_F09_C660_

Edited by Armybrat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After Chaillac, we will drive up to Paris where I have rented a 3 Br 3 bath flat for 7 nights.  Will do Versailles & its fireworks, and the usual local highlights.

From there we will take the Chunnel to Dover then drive to Canterbury where we'll stay one night in the Gatehouse Hotel.

After seeing where Richard Burton was stabbed to death we will drive to Stratford on Avon to check out the Baird's stomping grounds,  then on to Perton ( suburb of Wolverhampton) to stay 4 night's at one of our Brit friend's home.

Then back to Heathrow for the flight home

Edited by Armybrat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

After Chaillac, we will drive up to Paris where I have rented a 3 Br 3 bath flat for 7 nights.  Will do Versailles & its fireworks, and the usual local highlights.

From there we will take the Chunnel to Dover then drive to Canterbury where we'll stay one night in the Gatehouse Hotel.

After seeing where Richard Burton was stabbed to death we will drive to Stratford on Avon to check out the Baird's stomping grounds,  then on to Perton ( suburb of Wolverhampton) to stay 4 night's at one of our Brit friend's home.

Then back to Heathrow for the flight home

Did you get your LHR hotel sorted?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, G650 said:

Did you get your LHR hotel sorted?

Not yet - seems the Brit friends want to stay at the final night hotel so we can have a "departure party". So they will be making the reservations.

It doesn't hurt that the host, a good friend for almost 20 years, is doing all the driving/connections.... so no shuttles, trains, or cabs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Wife & I will finally be taking our 50th (51st by then) Anniversary tour this summer.

Flying to London to meet 4 Brit friends - our host has rented a 3Br 3bath flat in a good location for 8 nights.

Then across the Channel on a hydrofoil for a 2 night stay by  Normandy's Omaha Beach.

Then driving (in host's Mitsubishi Shogun) down to his French farmhouse in Chaillac (Central France) for a week. He bought the 200 year old house/barn several years ago - has gutted the interior and built a new 2 story 5,000 sq/ft McMansion inside:

F440_DA72_0328_4619_A4_F9_45_CCFAD35_A90

3_A1_F2_B33_5215_48_FA_BF4_D_6_F09_C660_

 

Imposter! Shenanigans! Those pics are right side up!

 

Sounds like an awesome trip. Have fun! When are you going? I'd buy you a pint if we crossed paths.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

never been to europe before,  just flying into paris for 5 days and then back to houston.   what vicinity would you suggest our hotel be? what would be the most convenient to restaurants, shops, museums, etc?   we will most likely not venture out of the city to see any countryside, but am looking forward to it just the same.  i haven't been a tourist in a long time.  please tell me the cant miss places for someone who's never been.

My go to hotel in Paris is in the 1st Arrodissement.  Le Roch Hotel & Spa is absolutely fantastic and I have had some great stays there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Staying 3 nights in Aix-en-Provence, 3 nights in Arles, and 3 nights in Roussillon

Nice!  Have you been in the area before?   We spent some time there a couple of years ago.  Roussillon is cool as fuck, it's like walking around on Mars.  And we really liked Arles too.   If you are driving, consider hitting Les Baux-de-Provence on the way to or from Arles.  Not only is the ancient castle incredible, especially if you have kids, the turned the cave from which the stones were mined into this amazing light show:  https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g1819081-d2651179-Reviews-Carrieres_de_Lumieres-Les_Baux_de_Provence_Bouches_du_Rhone_Provence_Alpes_Cote_.html

(the pics online don't do it justice) 

Edited by Mojo Hand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone ever stays in Lyon, you must eat at Brasserie George. At one time it was the largest single salon in Europe. The roof was carried down from the mountains on oxen and was a wonder to all who saw it and ate there. After changing hands only a few times in its history, it still makes incredible beer and La Tete de Veau is a must have. Elsewhere in the city, you have to try the Quenelle.

y’all have Paris covered. I ate at La Tour d’Argent once. That’s all I got.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, HenryJames said:

 

See the cathedral. Drink champagne.

This.  Also, stay at L'Assiette Champenoise and do dinner at the restaurant there.  If you want to splurge, you can add the Krug tasting.  

 

In November, depending on when in November, some of the caves and champagne houses are closed for the season.  I did a tour with Kris tours and got to go to some local houses, both of which had excellent champagne.  The tour was great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

is the paris pass worth it?  it's around $200 i believe.

Yes if you're there for a few days and can take in at least 3-4 of the pricier exhibits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

This my favorite meal when I was in Paris. I was also poor at the time, but still.

zhrYh7v.jpg?1

 

Fraternité

Liberté

Egalité!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotdam I can't wait to go.  Will be in France for 11 days for work in May.  Spending 5 days in Le Mans... so bummed that I'll be missing the 24 hour race by just two weeks.

Any Le Mans recs?  The other 5 days I'll be in Paris, but have done enough internet exploring of the city over the years that I know exactly what major churches I want to visit and then get lost in all of the out-of-the way things I've read about over the years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2018 at 3:51 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I'll be in Provence in June and Paris in July, so ditto.

Think we're doing a similar itinerary (even the Italy part before from what I saw in your other thread). Nice for 4 days very start of July and then 4 days in Paris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2018 at 7:27 PM, Mojo Hand said:

Nice!  Have you been in the area before?   We spent some time there a couple of years ago.  Roussillon is cool as fuck, it's like walking around on Mars.  And we really liked Arles too.   If you are driving, consider hitting Les Baux-de-Provence on the way to or from Arles.  Not only is the ancient castle incredible, especially if you have kids, the turned the cave from which the stones were mined into this amazing light show:  https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g1819081-d2651179-Reviews-Carrieres_de_Lumieres-Les_Baux_de_Provence_Bouches_du_Rhone_Provence_Alpes_Cote_.html

(the pics online don't do it justice) 

We were in Provence on vacation with our 8 and 6 year olds last summer. Second the rec on hitting Les Baux while in Provence, a few cool medieval replica battle vehicles (life size trebuchet and battering ram) at the top of the castle.  The mining cave, turned light show is walking distance from Les Baux. We stayed at a b&b called La Bastide de Voulonne - highly recommended since it has a heated pool for the kids and was pretty central to a lot of the other towns we visited (Gourdes, Roussillon, Châteauneuf-du-Pape, Avignon). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...