Isle of Dogs

XYZ

As much as I really love his first three films, the subsequent ones have had diminishing returns for me. I didn’t care for Mr Fox at all and I’m worried this will be more of the same for me.

Also, semi-serious and semi-joking, whenever I see any praise for his movies now, I do kinda think of this bit from SNL:

8cfd1100425c353943fb5b3a785c43cf.jpg

The dweebs that do movie reviews for KERA were talking about it last week and whether it should be panned for being cultural appropriation with a white savior. Overall they acted like they liked the film, but wrt appropriation they, being white males, decided they couldn’t weigh in

usually they’re pretty good. That take was weird

Edited by Sawbonz

Saw it at the Alamo on Thursday. It's an pleasant film, though very much a Wes Anderson film. I liked it. White savior thing is pretty dumb considering...

It took an Asian classmate to stop the plan, and the kid is the one that changed everything

Edited by GabrielsHorn

I appreciate Wes Anderson even though I've only really liked a few of his movies (The Grand Budapest Hotel and Moonrise Kingdom), but this one seems like the next level of pretentious even for him. Like he's saying "Critics love my movies no matter what so I'm going to do the next one in the worst animation style possible because I can." Because fuck claymation.

I appreciate Wes Anderson even though I've only really liked a few of his movies (The Grand Budapest Hotel and Moonrise Kingdom), but this one seems like the next level of pretentious even for him. Like he's saying "Critics love my movies no matter what so I'm going to do the next one in the worst animation style possible because I can." Because fuck claymation.
Fantastic Mr Fox is a masterpiece.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hornfan785 said:

It's not claymation, it's stop motion. And do you hate all stop motion animation? I'm curious why.

Yeah, I generally don't like it at all. It's just really clunky and jerky, and I can't think of a modern case where it added to the movie experience. But, I haven't seen Fantastic Mr. Fox, so I'll be sure to check that out.

• 2 weeks later...

jupiter and the oracle ftw.

never really understood people that won't see something with appealing subject matter because the animation style isn't their thing.  i feel like it's something you don't even notice once you're 5 minutes into the movie.

i liked the story and thought it was well done.