Elizabeth Warren 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

5 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The VP debate is so premature and a waste of time right now.  Six months ago I was making a case for Beto as VP but looking at how much has changed over six months, I’d take Castro now but again this is all subject to change. 

Everything we do here is a waste of time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, texastough said:

I think Warren stepped in it by coming out with a health care plan along with how to fund it, putting a target on her back. Obviously, congress -- not the president -- passes legislation. POTUS can be a strong advocate for a health care system, but ultimately there will be compromises. She should have pointed that out and basically said "I will support any plans that lower health care costs and expand coverage at the same time. If thats a version of M4A, great. But there may be other plans, short of M4A, that I would also support. Anything would be better than what republicans are currently offering."

It does seem like a risky move that will likely come back to bite her but I admire the chutzpah Warren has demonstrated by putting out a plan that will be criticized by everyone despite the fact that Congress will write the legislation. Yeah, she could have remained vague about her plan to pay for it but she choose to throw down the gauntlet on M4A and that is pretty fucking cool in my book. It would have been cooler had she not avoided the middle class tax in her plan. This part kind of feels like she is going for it on 4th and 1 on the 50 but is using a fake punt play  instead of just punching it up the middle.

• Like 2

On 11/4/2019 at 12:46 PM, bad_teammate said:

Dumb, uneducated... or someone with a master's from Cockrell. Engineers aren't known as people who think highly of the business guys. Maybe that's not how it was at OU since you guys had to all share the same chalkboard and feed bucket. More camaraderie there, I bet.

Every once in a while b_t hits the nail on the head. Running joke when I was in school was that the business school had more students who started as engineering majors than engineering had.

7 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I hate this debate, I don’t give a shit who her VP is but Castro is the most popular choice among the Warren Gs and it’s not close.

Yeah but the reason she avoided stepping in this particular pile of maggoty feces for so long is that it is the tar baby to end all tar babies.

10 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Every once in a while b_t hits the nail on the head. Running joke when I was in school was that the business school had more students who started as engineering majors than engineering had.

Actually a good chunk of my MBA class (myself included) was comprised of folks with undergrad degrees in engineering on computer science. It's a good combination if you want to change careers

18 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Code-Cogs-Eqn.gif

Old notation.  Get off my lawn.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

Warren wins 2020 backing of influential group of black women

https://apnews.com/987c9403cbd84106bc1742f25bb9bcb6

A group of more than 100 black female activists is endorsing Elizabeth Warren for president, saying her stances on a range of issues speak directly to black voters.

In a letter released on Thursday, the group Black Womxn For says its endorsement is an extension of activism that has helped shape a progressive agenda in the 2020 Democratic primary. The group calls Warren a “leader” and “partner” with a proven track record and understanding of structural racism and inequality who is willing to be held accountable.

I meant the proven track record of activism and understanding of structural racism.

I'm not doubting her sincerity in the things she's saying now that she's running for president, but as far as I know there is no actual track record of any kind.

And as I've said before, I think her focus on economic equality is huge and the most important thing by far. But let's not pretend things exist that don't exist.

In fairness, I think its not really focused on activism - more on understanding the basics of structural racism.  Even if Warren had never even thought about it, I would say she is clearly someone who would understand, and appear to have empathy. 

In other words, I can have empathy for the issue, and then approach problem solving for those who have been negatively affected by the structural racism.

I think it's important because when people want to change the rules now (hey, you had a black president, what's your beef) your approach to the problem can be direct -- helping the poor who are black, or indirect - helping all the poor. 

2 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

In fairness, I think its not really focused on activism - more on understanding the basics of structural racism.  Even if Warren had never even thought about it, I would say she is clearly someone who would understand, and appear to have empathy. 

The endorsement itself makes this more clear than the article. The endorsement doesn't mention a track record on racial issues, that was thrown in by the author of the article.

Yes, I agree completely with what you're saying and the endorsement itself makes perfect sense in that context.

I think it's important because when people want to change the rules now (hey, you had a black president, what's your beef) your approach to the problem can be direct -- helping the poor who are black, or indirect - helping all the poor. 

Yes. Since racism is about power, Warren's push for economic equality does more to combat racism than any kind of "let's all talk to each other more kindly" liberal nonsense.

Just now, hornhorn said:

LOL. That nerd has singlehandedly done more for humanity than Warren, Obama, Sanders, AOC, Beto or whoever you are cheering for and have no hope of getting elected. 

He built his wealth on monopolistic practices and stifling competition and spends it on giving money to people who are actually doing the good things and then taking credit for the work of those other people.

And you're an unpaid part of his PR machine. Congratulations.

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

He built his wealth on monopolistic practices and stifling competition and spends it on giving money to people who are actually doing the good things and then taking credit for the work of those other people.

And you're an unpaid part of his PR machine. Congratulations.

LOL. One could say the same about you and Sanders/Warren/AOC/any other dumbass that's trotted up as the champion of American "poor". Yep, poor in quotations. 

12 minutes ago, hornhorn said:

LOL. That nerd has singlehandedly done more for humanity than Warren, Obama, Sanders, AOC, Beto or whoever you are cheering for and have no hope of getting elected. 

I’m a fan of Bill Gates’ work to eradicate Polio but “singlehandedly” isn’t accurate. 

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I’m a fan of Bill Gates’ work to eradicate Polio but “singlehandedly” isn’t accurate. 

Compared to those I mentioned? He has singlehandedly done more than the ones I did. More than Obama, Warren, Sanders, etc etc etc. He pointed to polio as a target and eradicated it. 

Those other leeches I mentioned are pointing to his wealth as a target, and I promise you won't even come close to touching it, much less eradicating it. 

29 minutes ago, hornhorn said:

Compared to those I mentioned? He has singlehandedly done more than the ones I did. More than Obama, Warren, Sanders, etc etc etc. He pointed to polio as a target and eradicated it. 

Those other leeches I mentioned are pointing to his wealth as a target, and I promise you won't even come close to touching it, much less eradicating it. 

None of these people are Gods, especially not Bill Gates, and you have a weird way of evaluating who has done more for humanity.  Say Obama prevented nuclear war but no one knows about it because nuclear war didn’t happen, how does that stack up?  

We have a real problem with wealth worshipping in this country and most billionaires have figured out they can pimp their philanthropy to avoid the accountability of exploiting the rest of society while they stockpile their wealth on the backs of working people.   

Bill Gates has made great contributions to humanity but it doesn’t make him a good guy and measuring him versus people advocating for change that would improve the quality of life of every kid not even born yet is a little off base. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

None of these people are Gods, especially not Bill Gates, and you have a weird way of evaluating who has done more for humanity.  Say Obama prevented nuclear war but no one knows about it because nuclear war didn’t happen, how does that stack up?  

We have a real problem with wealth worshipping in this country and most billionaires have figured out they can pimp their philanthropy to avoid the accountability of exploiting the rest of society while they stockpile their wealth on the backs of working people.   

Bill Gates has made great contributions to humanity but it doesn’t make him a good guy and measuring him versus people advocating for change that would improve the quality of life of every kid not even born yet is a little off base. 

Did Obama prevent it?  I know what he did do, which was bomb innocent Syrians with depleted Uranium.  And then apologized for doing so.

We have a real problem with worshipping political figures who use other people to do the work with money that other people earned with systems that other people built and turning them into gods. Bill Gates, Bezos and Bloomberg rarely have rallies with thousands of people cheering on them for free. Warren, Trump rallies are for you to see.

That reminds me of worshipping more than someone claiming that Gates did more than Warren. It's not even close.  

Edited by hornhorn

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

So what's the problem then?

Who said that there's a problem? Just pointing out the obvious that those people are nothing but leeches indeed. Which BT is having a hard time seeing. 

And again, Gates' MO is here's my money, let's solve polio in Africa. Solved.

Warren/Sanders/AOC/every other bullshit politician's MO is let's get Gates' money. No, more!

3 minutes ago, hornhorn said:

Did Obama prevent it?  I know what he did do, which was bombed innocent Syrians with depleted Uranium.  And then apologized for doing so.

We have a real problem with worshipping political figures who use other people to do the work with money that other people earned with systems that other people built and turning them into gods. Bill Gates, Bezos and Bloomberg rarely have rallies with thousands of people cheering on them for free. Warren, Trump rallies are for you to see.

That reminds me of worshipping more than someone claiming that Gates did more than Warren. It's not even close.  

Social movements? How do they work?  

This country was founded by men advocating for treason and the United States would not exist unless they built an armed movement around that idea.  I could go on about the abolitionists, suffragettes, and the civil rights movements not being the work of the insanely wealthy.

Maybe the billionaires should organize a rebellion when we come for their money. 

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Social movements? How do they work?  

This country was founded by men advocating for treason and the United States would not exist unless they built an armed movement around that idea.  I could go on about the abolitionists, suffragettes, and the civil rights movements not being the work of the insanely wealthy.

Maybe the billionaires should organize a rebellion when we come for their money. 

Moving goalposts. 

This was Gates vs. the names I mentioned now you're including MLK? Gandhi possibly? 

Point still stands, Gates has done more than any of the dolts you worship. And yes, what you and other rally attendees do is worship, not me. 

19 minutes ago, hornhorn said:

Who said that there's a problem? Just pointing out the obvious that those people are nothing but leeches indeed. Which BT is having a hard time seeing. 

And again, Gates' MO is here's my money, let's solve polio in Africa. Solved.

Warren/Sanders/AOC/every other bullshit politician's MO is let's get Gates' money. No, more!

There is absolutely no reason for any human being to have/need a BILLION dollars, let alone $108 billion. Gates could stick all of his money in a very safe stock market portfolio getting 6% annual returns (and you know he's getting far more on his investments), and each of his children could net a billion dollars a year without ever lifting a finger, without ever touching the principal (it would actually still grow by a billion dollars a year). A billion dollars a year. His kids' kids' kids' kids will have more money than they will ever know what to do with. His family will have essentially infinite money until the heat death of the universe. 

There is no need for anyone to have or want that kind of money. Absolutely none. It's pure greed and hoarding. It's having it to have the equivalent status of a king, and it's having it so that others can't. As Bernie mentioned, the $100 million in taxes he's complaining about could provide safe drinking water for the entire country. Yet here we are.

I don't care what Bill Gates' charity has done. He is not a good person, nor is anyone with a billion dollars. Just by having that much money, you've eliminated any possibility of you being a good person with any sort of moral compass. 

He sucks.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 2

Just now, BradInATX said:

There is absolutely no reason for any human being to have/need a BILLION dollars, let alone $108 billion. Gates could stick all of his money in a very safe stock market portfolio getting 6% annual returns (and you know he's getting far more on his investments), and each of his children could net a billion dollars a year without ever lifting a finger, without ever touching the principal. A billion dollars a year. His kids' kids' kids' kids will have more money than they will ever know what to do with. His family will have essentially infinite money until the heat death of the universe. 

There is no need for anyone to have or want that kind of money. Absolutely none. It's pure greed and hoarding. It's having it to have the equivalent status of a king, and it's having it so that others can't.

I don't care what Bill Gates' charity has done. He is not a good person, nor is anyone with a billion dollars. Just by having that much money, you've eliminated any possibility of you being a good person with any sort of moral compass. 

He sucks.

There's absolutely no need for a human being to drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes, play video games, have a house larger than 800 sqft, a car that runs faster than 45 mph, eat meat, spend ungodly amounts on football tickets. 

If anyone does any of these things and spends more on these things than they do on charity, they suck! Claim about 2/3rds of population in India and China. 

You should totally live by moral standards of someone else. 

14 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

There is absolutely no reason for any human being to have/need a BILLION dollars, let alone $108 billion. Gates could stick all of his money in a very safe stock market portfolio getting 6% annual returns (and you know he's getting far more on his investments), and each of his children could net a billion dollars a year without ever lifting a finger, without ever touching the principal (it would actually still grow by a billion dollars a year). A billion dollars a year. His kids' kids' kids' kids will have more money than they will ever know what to do with. His family will have essentially infinite money until the heat death of the universe. 

There is no need for anyone to have or want that kind of money. Absolutely none. It's pure greed and hoarding. It's having it to have the equivalent status of a king, and it's having it so that others can't. As Bernie mentioned, the $100 million in taxes he's complaining about could provide safe drinking water for the entire country. Yet here we are.

He sucks.

Federal tax collection last year was 3.3 Trillion, but the next hundred billion from Bill Gates is the key to safe drinking water.  Bull fucking shit.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

42 minutes ago, hornhorn said:

Did Obama prevent it?  I know what he did do, which was bomb innocent Syrians with depleted Uranium.  And then apologized for doing so.

This is great. 

23 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

This is retarded.  Gates has committed to giving away the vast majority of the wealth he amassed in the course of basically fundamentally reshaping almost every aspect of the modern world. Judge the man on his actions, not his bank account.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

This is retarded.  Gates has committed to giving away the vast majority of the wealth he amassed in the course of basically fundamentally reshaping almost every aspect of the modern world. Judge the man on his actions, not his bank account.  

His bank account is a reflection of his actions and his moral compass.

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

His bank account is a reflection of his actions and his moral compass.

I suppose that you judge the actions and character of poor people based on their bank accounts as well.

So hard to keep track of who has the fucked up moral compass. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

I suppose that you judge the actions and character of poor people based on their bank accounts as well.

So hard to keep track of who has the fucked up moral compass. 

Its easy, wealthier than me: Morally corrupt, gimme some of that. NOW!!!!!! 

Poorer than me: loser.