The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Just now, noharleyyet said:

Prolly explains why I liked Mosrite...

Not so fast, my friend!  I love Mosrite guitars!

It's all just random emotional response.  Something about PRS just doesn't work for me.  For one thing, I generally don't like carved top guitars, although I'm cool with Les Pauls.  I dunno.  I just don't like 'em.

PRS is overwrought design and I've never been much of a fan, though I appreciate the craftsmanship otherwise. On the other end of the spectrum I've never been a big fan of Telecasters for the exact opposite reason, not enough. But Telecasters have a mountain of cultural importance and that alone overcomes their style deficiencies. I will own a Tele some day, but in no rush. PRS, on the other hand, is also the opposite in that regard (if the company had never been created and those guitars never produced the world of music would still be the same today) so I'm not as inclined to overlook their try-too-hard-edness.

I'm a complicated person.

• Like 1

Yeah, I like it, but the concept is pretty much the same as the offset telecaster -- a jazzmaster shape with tele-style string-through-body, tele bridge, tele pickups, etc.

I'm not crazy about the rectangle fret markers.  If you're looking to do a hybrid of vintage sonics/futuristic styling, it seems like neck inlays are a blank canvas where you could do something new.

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Great looking body.  Horrible neck.  I'm with Paul -- the rectangular fret markers just don't work.

I very much approve of the hybrid Fender/Firebird design aesthetic.

A friend of mine works at a store in town that is a Fender dealer. He sent me a pic of that guitar last week after it arrived and was unboxed at the store.

My first thought was, "Block markers on a Fender? Jimmyjazz would not approve."

Swung by the local Guitar Center because I like to keep it real. Apparently Blackie was moved from the Times Square location to the mothership on Sunset.

Some other cool guitars are here on display, too.

Frankenstrat is still here, but one of the Lucille's was added to the collection. Lucille, bruh.

There are 4 wtf guitars that have made the largest impact in my life and 2 of them are here.

Excelsior.382ac2a68aeab58eeaa9e711c9fbc834.jpg2fd43c57b279c23b12aac557687a5cbc.jpg6c5095b0938cade49b5ff1198889bf2e.jpg811c626164cc9677bc4abfa0c9439abd.jpg4fc41a0ef4c3c4d40d9227edec6ebb03.jpg179e4d2a38f1e0822f5d9b9606559337.jpgddf7496325f4811edfb8127e6a20b53a.jpgd78e5a74dfc26d03878de4014dd9d14e.jpgc957abdfa9a0954479174630488e075b.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Deej said:

What portion of the market are they exactly  aiming at? With a price point of $1300, it isn’t “affordable”, nor is it anything much to look at. Or at least nothing most of us haven’t already seen in some form or fashion. It is overall, a confusing marketing strategy.

12 minutes ago, Hamttx said:

It is overall, a confusing marketing strategy.

Agree... but it’s the company that gave us robot tuners on vintage-inspired reissues... and paint jobs inspired by 1970’s creeper Dodge vans (for five fucking grand).

https://reverb.com/news/gibson-nods-to-shaggin-wagons-with-new-custom-boogie-van-les-pauls

Edited by Paul Wesley

4 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

Agree... but it’s the company that gave us robot tuners on vintage-inspired reissues... and paint jobs inspired by 1970’s creeper Dodge vans (for five fucking grand).

https://reverb.com/news/gibson-nods-to-shaggin-wagons-with-new-custom-boogie-van-les-pauls

Comments are brutal...laffed at this one: ""Wall-hangers for lawyers" 

My cheapo Epi Les Paul Jr that I bought for myself earlier this year has mojo.

Reposted from the football board:

My $50 pawn shop find Epiphone Les Paul Jr. is the game's MVP.

When the momentum was turning against the Cowboys in the first half I got antsy and picked it up and started playing...ended up in a loop of "The Waiting" by Tom Petty.  I played the Cowboys back to a 10 point lead at the half.

Started the second half not playing and the fecals surged to tie it up.

I picked up the guitar again and started playing, same stuff. Cowboys took the lead back and clamped down on D. I played that shit until the final second ticked off the clock to seal the victory.

• Like 1