The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

41 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Speaking of ukeleles, anyone have a rec on a good one for a beginner 12yo girl?

Kiddo wants to learn, so I made a deal that I would get her one if she agreed to a year of piano lessons.

Obviously, she should play whatever motivates her to practice and get better.  That said, would she be receptive to learning mandolin?  Just seems like it could work out better long-term, plus she'd be learning violin notes/tuning/etc.

Speaking of ukeleles, anyone have a rec on a good one for a beginner 12yo girl?

Kiddo wants to learn, so I made a deal that I would get her one if she agreed to a year of piano lessons.

I got my daughter a Kala that I noodle around on from time to time. She’s 12 and doesn’t play it much, she’s focused on piano, but it seems like a decent little instrument.

Official Kala Learn to Play Ukulele Concert Starter Kit, Light Mahogany – Includes online lessons, tuner, and app https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075CRWQ4T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_f.jbCbQB7FQ1V
  • Like 1

Obviously, she should play whatever motivates her to practice and get better.  That said, would she be receptive to learning mandolin?  Just seems like it could work out better long-term, plus she'd be learning violin notes/tuning/etc.

Haha no. She’s set on the uke. But I at least made her commit to working on an instrument that might actually pay off some day.

Her primary love is vocals and she’s getting pretty good.
  • Like 1

Saw this on Antiques Roadshow last night:  a guy brought in his '62 Fender Strat, seemingly all original, in Sonic Blue.  He had purchased it in 1965.  Amazing guitar.  He had a pretty decent idea what it was worth, but was a little on the low side (appraised at $45K):

1962 Fender Strat

Edited by jimmyjazz

Paul got a Rickenbacker 4001 in 1965.  It was his primary instrument through Wings.  I think I read a tech article where they said he had toured it so much it basically fell apart.

Paul-Rick_jfj5f7.jpg

While he still plays at least one of his Hofners live, I haven't seen a pic of this Ric in a looooong time.

That '62 appears to be Sonic Blue or "Daphne Blue" 

I have always what the f "daphne" is, expecting it to be a flower or some shit, and I just googled this:

"Daphne (/ˈdæfni/; Greek: Δάφνη, meaning "laurel") a minor figure in Greek mythology, is a naiad, a variety of female nymph associated with fountains, wells, springs, streams, brooks and other bodies of freshwater. She is said by ancient sources variously to have been a daughter of the river god Peneus and the nymph Creusa in Thessaly (Hyginus Fabulae 203) or of Ladon (the river Ladon in Arcadia) or Pineios, and to Ge (or Gaia) (Pausanias and others)."

So I guess that alludes to this water nymph. Sounds like the subject of some gay ass Robert Plant or Robert Hunter lyrics that the rest of the band would have vetoed.

Great deal on the Hercules 5 guitar rack/stand at MF, just ordered one. I've been watching this item for a while, usually at $99. It went down to $79 recently, and today it was marked down again to $62.62. It also qualifies for this month's 17% discount code, listed on the front page, to cut it down to $54 out the door.

Well, shit, now I see Amazon has it for 50. But with tax it comes out the same. And I get brownie points from MF.

6 minutes ago, DougO said:

I was a huge Macca/Wings fan and always dug the Rick. It's a cool looking bass.  Also iconic for Lemmy and Chris Squire, so not bad company.

It's definitely a cool bass.  The body is super thin.  It doesn't have the mass of a P-bass or a Jazz, so it feels a little weird to me.

Of course, I'm running off to Reverb now to see if I can find one...

12 minutes ago, DougO said:

Great deal on the Hercules 5 guitar rack/stand at MF, just ordered one. I've been watching this item for a while, usually at $99. It went down to $79 recently, and today it was marked down again to $62.62. It also qualifies for this month's 17% discount code, listed on the front page, to cut it down to $54 out the door.

Well, shit, now I see Amazon has it for 50. But with tax it comes out the same. And I get brownie points from MF.

Timely tip....

8 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

It's definitely a cool bass.  The body is super thin.  It doesn't have the mass of a P-bass or a Jazz, so it feels a little weird to me.

I don't remember picking one up before, but full scale bass is awkard enough for me. I probably have tried one at some point, but they don't pop up very often around here.

Now, the Hofner fiddle bass, I've picked on a few of those, the cheap reproductions. They play great, but they feel like balsa wood. Always wanted one but I was afraid I would break it the first week. And it's really nose-divey. 

22 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

The 4003 Jetglo was an early addition to my collection because of Chris Squire. And I loan many of the instruments in my collection out to other musicians who may not have access to high quality quitars and basses. And though I love it, I have found that most guys that play it can’t seem to get comfortable with it. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hamttx said:

The 4003 Jetglo was an early addition to my collection because of Chris Squire. And I loan many of the instruments in my collection out to other musicians who may not have access to high quality quitars and basses. And though I love it, I have found that most guys that play it can’t seem to get comfortable with it. 

Have we seen pics of this collection?  I can't recall.  Better repost, just in case.

16 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

See a few post earlier. It is also eligible for the 17% off code posted at the top of their page, making it $54.

Amazon has it cheap, too.

Price + Shipping
Condition (Learn more)
Delivery
Seller Information
Buying Options

$52.74

& FREE Shipping Details + $4.35 estimated tax

5% off. Discount taken at checkout.

I've decided to sell the Edwards "Les Paul" that I just bought earlier this year. I tried and tried and tried, but just didn't connect with it. It growled like a LP should, but I really missed the glassiness of a single coil.

The main reason I'm saying goodbye is because I couldn't bond with the neck. I just can't get the hang of the narrow neck compared to my Tele. I remember trying a LP during high school, and thought the neck was too narrow and cramped, but I figured with some bonding time, I'd get used to it. It's been about 10 months and we are just not compatible.

If any of you are interested in an excellent LP copy, hit me up. This is a stock photo, but I'm sure if you go back to earlier pages (or was it on the scat site?), you can see some of the pics of the actual guitar.

E-LP-125SD_CHS.jpg

Indeed, that does look very nice. 

I'm actually looking for some suggestions for a new acoustic guitar.  I used to play for a few years back in high school but ever since I got to college, I just kinda got busy and lost interest and haven't really played seriously in probably about 10 years or so.  But I've got some musician friends that I've started jamming out a little bit with lately and it has started to rekindle my interest in the guitar and I've been starting to play a lot more lately.  I've got a pretty nice Strat that I love playing but have been playing more acoustic lately and I'm currently just working with a very cheap old Yamaha that sounds like hell, can't stay in tune, and is just not the easiest to play so I'm looking for something a step up from that, but as I'm still pretty much a beginner and just getting back into it, I'm also not looking for anything too expensive either.  I'm looking for a solid acoustic in the $350-$550 price range, does anyone have any suggestions?  I went to Guitar Center last week and played around with a few but just didn't find anything that really stood out to me.