The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

3 hours ago, phdhorn said:

1) Son comes home for semester from UT,  "I think I want to buy a Strat." (never played guitar, but good drummer and some violin experience)
2) Wife says last night, "what do we get the kids for Christmas?"  How convenient... 
3) Tell her to Googlez "Squier", because daddy ain't spending $400 (at least) to find out if junior likes guitar.
4) She finds this and shows me.  I sez buy the mofo:

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSND-3B2hCIF7a1hP8y

2 Benjamins.  Verry nice, I actually played gigs for a year with a Squier just like the one above, 'cept black body.

My butterscotch Bullet Tele from last year is one of the cheapest Squiers made, and I love the hell out of it. It's not as refined as my more expensive stuff, but it is beautiful, it's a blast to play and can do about anything the others can do.

Delicious bass Mr. Fuck.

Anyone familiar with the Mustang bass? Seems to be somewhat of a “bass for guitar players” and might be good for my carny hands. I have a cheap Ibanez that I need to ditch, it has vicious fret bite and doesn’t play or sound very good.

The new place will have room for guitar/bass/drums/keys/vox so Imma make that happen.

• Like 1

The Mustang Bass is short scale, so it may be perfect for you.  That said, it'll just be a gateway, and when you inevitably get asked to sit in on bass with someone with a full scale bass, it'll feel weird.  So why not just go ahead and buy a full scale?  I'd recommend the Squier Jaguar Bass.  My dad has one he just carries around in case he needs a bass player.  It was not expensive at all (even less if you're looking used) but it's 100% legit.  Came with a great set up right out of the box.

Peronally Ive had active electronics in 2 instruments; a 77 Gibson RD and a Fender Deluxe P Bass. I prefer passive, they spund more natural.

Don't overthink buying a bass. Decide if you prefer the P Bass or Jazz Bass neck, then buy the version of that bass that fits you're budget.

Don't buy a short scale bass. They are stupid and feel like toys when you play them.

I always say that if the P Bass was good enough for James Jamerson, Phil Lynott, and Steve Harris, its good enough for me.

39 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

A quick Google shows a Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Special, is that what you’re referring to? If so I’d prefer something without a battery.

Squier did make a Jaguar bass with passive pickups, but I believe it has been discontinued. I think most of the passive models came with block inlays instead of dots. They pop up on Reverb and Ebay from time to time, but I'm not seeing any at the moment. 

Here's a link to one that sold a while back on Reverb: https://reverb.com/item/4455-fender-squier-jaguar-vintage-modified-series-bass-black-with-duncan-design-pickups

• Like 1

Batteries are a bit of a hassle and for something that will spend most of the time hanging on the wall I don’t want to be worrying a battery leaking. I always worried about that with my Taylor even though I always took the battery out (I didn’t trust myself and ended up checking it all the time).

54 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Yup that's the one.  Great bass.

That's the one I have. It's perfect coming over from guitar. I will sit in occassionally at friends place with a full scale, and it doesn't bother me. Of course, I'm usually playing pretty simple bass lines to keep out of everyone's way, and I don't notice the difference in amount of travel between frets so much.

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

A quick Google shows a Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Special, is that what you’re referring to? If so I’d prefer something without a battery.

They make both a 34" and 30" version of the vintage modified Jag bass.  The short scale is called the Special SS and is not passive. It has the dots on the neck. $200 new at musiciansfriend. I believe only the full scale version is active.

I have this bass, the short scale version, and it's really easy to play for somebody who only plays guitar. Great little bass. I recommend it.The Jag has a really cool comfortable shape, sound is pretty versatile through my 40 watt Rumble combo. It's seems very well made,  looks beautiful, plays great. I have the black on black.

Edited by DougO

1) awesome bass mr. fuck

2) if any spouses or girlfriends of guitar players are reading - don't ask your guitar playing dude for input on a gift suggestion for another guitar player if you've also already bought the thing for your dude and he doesn't know about it yet.  Chelsea just bugged me about maybe a Marshall mini amp for her brother and I said "oh those aren't that cool" and she got all sullen and now I feel terrible.  I may end up needing to take an electric guitar to work for a while so I can act like having a little battery amp is actually perfect for me

46 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

1) awesome bass mr. fuck

2) if any spouses or girlfriends of guitar players are reading - don't ask your guitar playing dude for input on a gift suggestion for another guitar player if you've also already bought the thing for your dude and he doesn't know about it yet.  Chelsea just bugged me about maybe a Marshall mini amp for her brother and I said "oh those aren't that cool" and she got all sullen and now I feel terrible.  I may end up needing to take an electric guitar to work for a while so I can act like having a little battery amp is actually perfect for me

Swap it for a Blackstar Fly 3.  It's pretty sweet.

At my sisters for Thanksgiving, and found in a closet a never used 1993 MIM strat, a gift from her now deceased husband.  He played a Peavey Destiny, same vintage.

I'll be getting it after New Year.  So, for a long time acoustic finger picker, who wants to noodle around on this thing, what would be the best option for a small practice amp, and maybe some basic effects pedals?  I have no idea what I'm getting into.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Chelsea just bugged me about maybe a Marshall mini amp for her brother and I said "oh those aren't that cool" and she got all sullen and now I feel terrible.  

Songwriter girl I know once asked me what I thought about Elixir strings.   This was like 12-13 years ago when coated strings were a new-ish thing.  And I said, “Yeah, they sound really mediocre for a really long time.  I suppose they’re fine if you’re a beginner or if you’re not good at changing strings... but if I was going in a studio tomorrow to record my masterpiece, that is definitely not the strings I’d put on my guitar.”

And then she got quiet.  And I was soon told that she had just spent essentially all her money to go into a studio to record her masterpiece... with Elixir strings.  

Me and my fucking mouth.  

• Like 2

At my sisters for Thanksgiving, and found in a closet a never used 1993 MIM strat, a gift from her now deceased husband.  He played a Peavey Destiny, same vintage.
I'll be getting it after New Year.  So, for a long time acoustic finger picker, who wants to noodle around on this thing, what would be the best option for a small practice amp, and maybe some basic effects pedals?  I have no idea what I'm getting into.

Katana 50. $230 and has almost any effect you could want built in and a low watt setting.

Maybe a looper and a wah if those interest you.
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, NBMisha said:

boss katana 50.  might want to get a boss fs-6, a tip ring sleeve cable (connect footswitch), and a usb a-b cable (connect computer) also.

since buzz beat me to the rec - fiance got me one for my birthday (I should remind her how very good that that present was) a few months back and I use it all the time.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Like 1