The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

My friend wanted to go to GC after our coffee meet-up this morning.

There's not much more depressing than Guitar Center on Black Friday with the same old shit they've had for the past year, but less. They did have a Fender t-shirt on sale for $9.99, but it was kinda ugly and cheap looking.

I need more different things to do.

On 11/20/2018 at 4:38 PM, Chad Fuck said:

Let me know what you think of the cleans. I’ve been contemplating buying a 1x15 to play pedal steel through.

After a few days with it, I really like the clean tones. Amp volume on about 10 o'clock, guitar dialed in to taste, and the cleans are like my Princeton cleans on steroids. Just beautiful.

• Like 1

I'm gonna have to get a Nash one day. I went to Infinity Guitars this week and sampled 4 amps. Instead of some MIM strat with fucked up action, I was handed a Nash T-52 to test them out. I freaking love that place. There isn't a piece of trash in the entire store. This is a pic of the axe:

z23atl2ejb4fhdnhuzpo.jpg

5 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Without the Gibson style inlays, it loses the concept.  I get the dot love here, but you have to appreciate that what they went for, they did pretty much perfectly.

Yeah, and the P90s lessen the jarring look for me.  I sure wouldn't turn it down if someone wanted to give me one.

3 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

That's a very DougO-ish Jazzmaster.

This popped up in my feed today.  Pretty nice take on a Tele with LP Gold Top appointments:

qe51qcxawg2xsztgvlqy.jpg

cr9glttzdmfnpjfwpi3r.jpg

https://reverb.com/item/17334320-nash-guitars-model-t-56-aged-goldtop-nitro-rosewood-neck

I don't mind the linen finish nor the markers....& don't mind the 90's with extreme prejudice. 

Not a fan of relic'd guitars and I'm surprised the trend has gone on for so long and shows no sign of slowing down.

1) Relic-ing a guitar is my job, not the luthier's. I'm perfectly capable of delivering my guitars a proper beating, thank you.

2) It just seems fraudulent to get on stage with a guitar that looks like Willie's Trigger but was built like a month ago and cost $3,000. You haven't paid your dues, bro. Put down that guitar that makes it look like you've been playing 150 nights a year since the 70's. 

3) Eventually the "distressed" baseball cap/clothing trend seemed to go away. Why not this?

4) I wouldn't feel like I was getting my money's worth paying for a new guitar that wasn't in immaculate condition. 

• Like 2

On 11/30/2018 at 1:13 PM, Grandioso said:

I'm gonna have to get a Nash one day. I went to Infinity Guitars this week and sampled 4 amps. Instead of some MIM strat with fucked up action, I was handed a Nash T-52 to test them out. I freaking love that place. There isn't a piece of trash in the entire store. This is a pic of the axe:

z23atl2ejb4fhdnhuzpo.jpg

I know a guy who has a Nash tele that looks pretty much identical to this one and it sounds GREAT.  I never knew or cared too much for the brand, but the only one I've heard in-person sounds freaking fantastic, and I don't think they're crazy expensive as "boutique" guitars go...

On 11/30/2018 at 3:56 PM, Grandioso said:

Not a fan of relic'd guitars and I'm surprised the trend has gone on for so long and shows no sign of slowing down.

Agree with all of this. 

And like Celery's strat, I've got a couple guitars with hundreds of hours on them that still look pretty clean.  I can't imagine beating the shit out of a guitar to get to the condition of some of these "heavy" relic models.  I mean, I'd have to wear spiked leather bracelets and gloves with 60 grit sandpaper.  

Well, it might not be a Ernie's Music Emporium blowout collector's item, but hey, it's technically a guitar, and it counts!

This thing has been a freaking blast to learn.  Same hand patterns as guitar (I mean, how many different ways can you play strings?), different chords, a bit of a learning curve, but not much.  I'm taking it on our 25th anniversary Caribbean island-hop sailing mainly for drunken singalongs on deck surrounded by booze and the ocean.

Uke and guitar together really actually sounds damn awesome. I'm amazed at the versatility of this little instrument... you can make it sound like a mandolin, a funky electric, or even a Segovian classical special.  It's an amazingly enjoyable pursuit.

Anyoneslse  here ever  diddle on a uke?
Anyway, here's the mrs. modeling for me.  Both have nice curves.

jukeblur.png

• Like 4

Those Hagstroms, they're beautiful.  I'd probably tone down the pickguard a bit but that body shape is terrific.

Regarding 20 year old guitars that look brand new -- maybe it takes a true nitro finish to develop the wear?  My Fenders from early 90's had a pretty tough poly finish that eventually chipped a bit but there was no hazing or wear like you see on much older guitars.