The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Tough to get an image posted.  Sorry about that.

Picked up the guitar.  The dude that sold it to me is awesome.  He's a gentleman nearby that teaches lessons.  He demonstrated the guitar with some Clapton and Waylon.  I shall employ his services.

• Like 1

You don't see those very often. That's the STRAT model from 81-83 that was the upgrade from the standard Stratocaster. Matching headstock, gold hardware, hot bridge pickup. The middle tone knob is actually a two-way rotary switch that gives you nine different pickup combinations when used with the regular five-way pickup selector. These guitars were available with C, D and U shaped necks.

• Like 1

It was also the first return to a small headstock since pre-CBS days, though not exactly a pre-CBS headstock.  If you look at them up close you can see that while it is a smaller headstock, it's a bit off the pre-CBS proportions.  It's as if they knew where they wanted to go, and knew what the market wanted (I remember seeing a vintage Strat for $5000!!!  I couldn't believe anyone would pay that much for a guitar) but couldn't be bothered to track down an original to go off of.  Tokai was doing a better job at the time.  Then the Vintage Reissues came out and that was a huge leap forward/back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

There’s nothing I dislike more in the guitar world than those big cartoon cbs headstocks.

Totally.  They're like a bad boob job.  "Hey, let's take this well proportioned thing of beauty AND MAKE IT GROSSLY GIGANTIC AND DISPROPORTIONATE!!!!"  

tara-reid-plastic-surgery.jpg

4 hours ago, the idoit said:

I love it when this thread is at the top but I hate all the deals I miss...

This one is speaking to me though. I just had to cancel a trip to Vegas so I’d actually be saving money in the big picture...

780e9fdab76af487291eadce45a013b3.jpg

Dreaded csb time....ordered a telecaster from Zzounds in the same green a few years ago. They screwed up and shipped a strat....in the short lapse of them admitting it was on their end the tele sold. After negotiating we settled on a good price for this Deluxe. 

31662406207_3b9e116abb_z.jpg  

-The End

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, noharleyyet said:

Dreaded csb time....ordered a telecaster from Zzounds in the same green a few years ago. They screwed up and shipped a strat....in the short lapse of them admitting it was on their end the tele sold. After negotiating we settled on a good price for this Deluxe. 

31662406207_3b9e116abb_z.jpg  

-The End

Hell yeah.  That's  beauty.

53 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

While I also prefer the smaller headstocks, I don't hate the big ones. Its juat something that helps date an era, like Poloroid pictures.

The even smaller Tele headstocks are the coolest though.

Like fake boobs, I'm not saying I wouldn't play with them.

I'm saying I prefer the way they originally came.

• Like 1

20190104-174910.jpg
Why you no like big headstock?

This is why I like the big headstocks. Sometimes the modern ones look a little too tidy to me. I love the funky style of the old big headstocks, and I’m sure that’s 90% owed to Jimi. It was Jimi Hendrix at max volume in 15 year old me’s bedroom that marked the first time my mother worried about me. Though not the last.

Isbell's comment about the guitar being played and not locked up in a vault seems like a subtle dig at Dirk Ziff. 

There are more pictures of this guitar at the link below, including a couple that really show the distinct red patch below the toggle switch that helped King identify it years after it was stolen. I'd never heard of "tag fade" before. Back then Gibson put a small paper tag on the toggle. Depending on how long the tag was left on, the finish faded around the tag, leaving a brighter spot underneath. Hence the name, Red Eye.

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?132199-The-Ed-King-Burst

• Like 1