The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I've been putting off putting putting strap locks on my guitars...especially the LP.  Something about replacing the original equipment on that guitar freaks me out.  Until now, I've just been using the Grolsch type washers over the strap.  This worked fine as long as I could just leave the strap on the guitar in the rack but I have to put it in the case to take to practice, I have to take the strap off.  Pain in the ass.  So.....I'm looking for strap lock recommendations.
Anyone use them?  Is one better than the others?  Any to definitely stay away from?  I want to put the same brand on my Tele and the LP.  
Putting Schallers on a guitar is the first thing I do when I get a new one.

I like spinning the guitar so that it orbits me, so strap locks are a must.

So I'm over at Junior Brown's site trying to find out his press guy because I want to interview him for my radio show. And I'll be damned if this wasn't in the merch section. Unreal.

NOW YOU CAN OWN YOUR OWN GUIT-STEEL

Guit-Steel1.jpg

World renown Luthier, Michael Stevens and Junior Brown are proud to offer the Guit-Steel for sale!

For more information, please contact Michael Stevens at:

MICHAEL STEVENS – Stevens Electrical Instruments
PO Box 1082
Alpine, Texas 79831

Facsimile: (432) 364-2487

E-mail Michael Stevens: acowboy@stevensguitars.com

To view the specs of the Guit-Steel at StevensGuitars.com, click the button below.

Guit-Steel

Neck: 

Wood – hard maple (qtr sawn)

Color – vintage tint

Fingerboard – 12 inch radius (maple or rosewood with dot inlays)

Guitar:
Scale – 25.5

Steel:
“Short scale” – 22.5

Pickups:
3 flat pole piece (strat style)
Solid covers black

Pickguard:
Chrome plated

Bridge:
Left hand vibroto

Fret size:
Your choice

Body:

Wood – ash

Color – blonde or transparent red

Fingerboard – aluminium

Pickguards – chrome plated

Pickups – single coil stringmaster style / covers black

Details

The instrument is made from the original templates of “Old Yeller”, the neck will be a “Stevens” as per Big Red. Neck shape will be your choice.
Any other requests will be a private treaty and incur an upcharge.

This is a “Licensed” and exclusive product from the original guys – Junior Brown & Michael Stevens.

“No Stringmasters were harmed in the construction of the Guit-Steel”

*Stringmaster and Tele products belong to Fender Musical Inst.

Electronics

Stock blend pot on steel

5 way switch on guitar

3 way neck selector

Volume/tone

all other options custom quote

Price: $14,500 (includes an ATF flight case by Keal Cases Inc. Now also includes a Guit stand that fits a standard mic stand)

Prices subject to change without notice.

Although listed as specific models, these are “custom” guitars made by Michael Stevens.

guit-steel-5358596655_6587e3f83c_z.jpg

guit-steel-5359286216_b5226c4e17_b.jpg

guit-steel-5359045198_c8e4230e95_b.jpg

guit-steel-5358660125_84522b5aa5_b.jpg

I'm gonna need $15,000.00 and like 5000% more talent. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I need some clarification on the multiple Gibson headstocks pictured.

Ah - you got the new one with all the abelone, and then you... also have an l-1?

And what's the deal - I didn't know we had an L-1.  You've been holding out?

I was holding out.  I got two new (to me) guitars.  The L-1 is harder to play, it has some super heavy strings on it...

I met Stevens and Junior together at a guitar show once.  This was before they offered the Guit-Steel online.  They were asking $9995 back then, but you had to come up with the Stringmaster bits.  I guess now he's found a source for the pickups and hardware.  Pricey hardware.

That blue one touches me in the feels, though I know what you mean about needed more talent.  Reminds me of this story my Dad once told me. Gretsch invited a bunch of local Dallas players out to see Chet Atkins demonstrate whatever the newest model was.  After about twenty minutes of Chet getting down on his namesake model, he offered it to the room of players to try out.  No one would touch it.  Who's going to pick that guitar up after Chet?  Motherfucker, please.  

• Like 3

I am trying to tidy up my place, Marie Kondo-style (look her up... it's a thing).  

I own a big collection of song books.  Mostly classic rock, but a little songwriter/folk/pop stuff too.  Not sure what to do with them.  

When I was a kid, and trying to learn the guitar, I spent a considerable amount of my lawn-mowing money (the only money I had) on records and song books.  They were purchases that you considered very carefully.  There was a music store (musical instruments) 4 or 5 miles from my house, and I'd ride my bike there on a summer day, and then I'd just stand at the song book section and try to memorize as many chords as I could.  Then I'd ride home and immediately try to play what I had seen.  If I were smarter, I'd have snuck in pencil and paper.  

Anyway, I've got probably 30 songbooks that haven't been opened for a couple decades now.  Probably getting rid of them.

If it's any consolation to you gear-hoarding bastards, I'll use the space on the bookshelf for more pedals.  

• Like 2

We're doing konmari too.   95% of my guitar stuff sparked joy for me (less so for my wife).   I did donate my first electric guitar, an old squire that I actually hated and have kept in attics for 15 years, and the little bullet solid state amp that went with it.   Hopefully it makes some kid's day at Goodwill.  Also got rid of like 20 old packs of strings that I never liked/used, some chord books (thanks internet), and a couple of old pickups.   

I still have shelves full of old guitar magazines and books in my music room.  I should probably get rid of them, but nah.

Speaking of new methods of learning, have any of you tried online lessons?  I'm talking about actual lessons to learn overall skills, not just going to find a tab and learning a song.

If so, which have you found helpful?

I bought a couple pickguards for my Tele and went with a white one. If anyone wants this, I'll send it to you. It's a little more bright orange than pictured, but the image is pretty faithful. It just didn't really work well on a very light butterscotch guitar. It would be badass on any white Telecaster (for your Texas look) or a classic, royal, sapphire, or navy blue one. (You could create an "Astrocaster"). Also, I have an actual Fender pickguard with the two screw holes for the neck pickup if you want me to use that to mark where the neck pickup mount holes need to go, or if I can scare up a drill, (and I probably can) I'll do it for you myself.

51P9mOeqs6L._SX679_.jpg

If you swapped out the hideous pickup covers and knobs on this thing for all white ones, you really would have an Astrocaster.

2G6A7270.jpg

Update on the guitar lessons with the Telecaster.  I was intimidated in that (in my mind) taking lessons was akin to "asking for help."  It's hard to describe, but I'm a hard headed fool.  This dude is talented and just loves to teach.  I'm hooked.

Drop D tuning and a Fender Mustang 1 amp.  I'm having fun.  I can muddle through the rhythm on this one after one lesson.  Hell yes.

• Like 3