The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

My little planned acoustic due has been put on hold. Was kinda bummed. Then today I get a text from a neighbor.
++++++++

Hey Hulla. Let me know if you’d like to play guitar some time. I have a friend who plays drums, I play bass and we have a signer that does an incredible Elvis. We’d be playing mostly classics - for example We played American pie and Are you lonely tonight at practice today. I thought you might enjoy being a part of. We generally aim to meet on Sunday mornings but we are flexible. Let me know. Thanks.

• Like 1

So my drummer/guitar playing friend bought this for his daughter who’s graduating HS. It’s got the thin neck profile and chambered body. Pretty sweet birthday/graduation gift. She’s a smart young lady with good grades and solid guitar and bass player so she deserves it. Honestly, it’s too nice for her to play at college, but proud papa couldn’t not go all out:

6b54f75394f5b39416af8acad581796f.jpg

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

So my drummer/guitar playing friend bought this for his daughter who’s graduating HS. It’s got the thin neck profile and chambered body. Pretty sweet birthday/graduation gift. She’s a smart young lady with good grades and solid guitar and bass player so she deserves it. Honestly, it’s too nice for her to play at college, but proud papa couldn’t not go all out:

6b54f75394f5b39416af8acad581796f.jpg

That’s cool, made the mistake of showing it to my 8 year old daughter.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Goredho said:

That’s cool, made the mistake of showing it to my 8 year old daughter.  

Showed it to my 8 year old niece who just learned her first two chords and got herself a Yamaha student model for Christmas.  "If you practice and study real hard, maybe one day you can get one of these!"  Eyes were lit.  She's hooked.

• Like 1

Great gift.

I always wonder as a parent though. After failed attempts on my parents part with violin and piano, when I wanted to learn guitar at 10 they said, great, we’ll pay for lessons but you are on your own with instruments. Their belief was that if I really wanted to play I would find a way. Saved up and bought a $92 guitar amp combo from Sears at 11. That was 40 years ago now. They never bought a single piece of guitar equipment.

I’m not sure if it was a grand plan or my dad was just being cheap. Either way it worked I guess.

37 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That is a fine looking guitar.  Is it new or used?  Sweetwater shows a 2019 LP Standard in Blueberry Burst that pretty much looks identical.

Brand new, from Sweetwater.  Crazy of crazies, dude has been dealing with them so long that the salesperson he started working with over and over again for ages is now way up in their sales org.  So whenever he calls in, he just asks for the price he wants and if they don't give it to him, he just drops the name of his bud and he gets it (within reason of course).  Just shows that relationships are everything.  That and dropping a fuck ton of money with them over time.  

Just now, tbone_ said:

Great gift.

I always wonder as a parent though. After failed attempts on my parents part with violin and piano, when I wanted to learn guitar at 10 they said, great, we’ll pay for lessons but you are on your own with instruments. Their belief was that if I really wanted to play I would find a way. Saved up and bought a $92 guitar amp combo from Sears at 11. That was 40 years ago now. They never bought be a single piece of guitar equipment.

I’m not sure if it was a grand plan or my dad was just being cheap. Either way it worked I guess.

She's been playing since she was in single digits on beater guitars/basses.  Last weekend she was practicing with us on an Epiphone SG and killing it.  This isn't like dropping some gold on a newb learner.  She knows exactly what this is and will appreciate it, I'm sure.

I have to say, after years of playing, the most fun I've had is recently playing with my friends' kids.  Seeing the great arc of music go from one gen to the next is so cool.  Reminds me of hanging out stealing sips of beer off my Dad's (and his bandmates) amps.  Chad Jr. is only 6, but he's been taking piano lessons and when he sees these teens playing with us, he takes note.  I probably already said this, but he asked me on the way to school a couple weeks ago if he could play organ with our band (he's taking piano lessons, but his favorite setting on the practice keyboard is "Organ" - sounds like a Hammond kind of).  I told him to keep practicing and of course he could.  My heart about exploded when he asked me that.  

• Like 3

Yea that’s awesome. My 12yo daughter is becoming a pretty good singer. We’ve started doing a few songs together, like Free Fallin. She can do the high Tom petty parts great.

She’s not as good a negotiator though. She all of a sudden decided she wanted a uke a few weeks ago. I said I didn’t believe she would play it if I bought her one. So I cut a deal that she would take a year’s worth of piano lessons if she got a uke. Her voice coach has been really pushing her to learn piano to help with her singing. She agreed. Got the uke and to my surprise with zero lessons she’s already taught herself to play and sing 4-5 songs.

So now we are about to get a pretty dope Roland or Yamaha digital piano.

• Like 2

My little planned acoustic due has been put on hold. Was kinda bummed. Then today I get a text from a neighbor.
++++++++

Hey Hulla. Let me know if you’d like to play guitar some time. I have a friend who plays drums, I play bass and we have a signer that does an incredible Elvis. We’d be playing mostly classics - for example We played American pie and Are you lonely tonight at practice today. I thought you might enjoy being a part of. We generally aim to meet on Sunday mornings but we are flexible. Let me know. Thanks.
So, without hearing me play, they asked for some suggestions. Mine was Willie's version of All of Me

Here's my 13yo niece with the guitar she got for Christmas. She took my Mom to GC and picked it out herself. I bought her a gig bag to protect it. I've never seen a kid love a guitar more. She wipes it down and puts it in the gig bag after every use and she won't let anybody else play it with the exception of her Uncle (me) with the caveat that I don't use a pick for her fear that I might scratch it with one.

She's actually going to be one hell of a musician. She's been playing guitar her whole life, starting by grabbing a toy guitar and trying to play alongside me or my Dad when she was 3 or 4. By the time she was 10 she l ew some chords and songs. I hear her now and she's pretty damn good, especially with lead melody lines. My Dad was playing weekly with a bunch of other old guys in the area and she'd tag along. Since he died they invited her to keep coming back and she does weekly.

She's about 4'11" and plays tuba; 1st chair in the All Distric Jr High Band. By being 1st chair, she gets to play with the varsity band in competitions or something. She so plays clarinet, she switched to tuba when she got braces, and I recently learned that she has taught herself to play piano and isn't half bad.

Speaking of local jams, I recently learned that Johnny Gimble's son Dick (or Nick*) lives within a half mile of my Mom's property and hosts a weekly jam at his house. I've been invited to tag along with a local musician a couple times, but have always had a conflict. I'm unexpectedly back in Texas now for a family situation, so maybe I'll make it this week. From what I've been told from one local musiciuyan, "you can travel all over Texas and you won't hear any finer music than what goes on at the Gimble jam every Friday." I wanna get my niece in on that since she lives with my Mom so nearby. She told me that Dick, or Nick, is supposed to be coming by her little old man jam soon, so maybe she'll get in that way.

*Wikipedia says Johnny's son is named Dick, but I've only heard him called Nick or Nicki around here. I've yet to meet him. 663f1ddf47a3fa01ad394a063d9591f5.jpg

• Like 5

A couple of these posts strike close to home . . . I never wanted to put this track on widespread blast, but I'm fond of it nonetheless.  My daughter taught herself ukelele on a sick day when Mom said "no electronics" (no doubt thwarting the whole point of the "sick" day in the first place).  She's always been a natural singer.  I'll catch her using our master bath shower as a reverb tank, singing something she wrote (which is often good), but one day I heard her doing this tune which turns out to be a cover she liked.  I said "let's go record that", and one uke take and overdubbed vocal an hour later, here it is, no editing (autotune or timing), just some reverb and compression.  She was a freshman in HS at this point:

EDIT:  I need to get better at Soundcloud, sorry for the subsequent tunes of an old band of mine.  If you're hearing them.  Which you may not be.

That's incredible JJ. Both her voice/phrasing and the uke playing. Good time keeping too.
  • Like 2

My grandfather used to always say that timing and phrasing where more important than tone and even pitch.

On of the most important tips I ever got on the guitar was to play it like a drum / percussion instrument.

I used to question those 2 ideas. The older I get the more I understand and agree with both.

I completely agree.  For one thing, it's known that the average listener can't discern sharp as much as flat, so when I work with singers I encourage them to aim for the top side of the pitch, especially on intervals.  But also, your point about timing is absolutely true -- singing behind the beat, while appropriate in certain "artistic" situations, tends to make the listener think the singer lacks confidence.  Had this been a real effort, I would have pushed my daughter to get on top of the beat more, but the last thing I needed to do in that moment was crap all over her performance.  14, you know.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Brand new, from Sweetwater.  Crazy of crazies, dude has been dealing with them so long that the salesperson he started working with over and over again for ages is now way up in their sales org.  So whenever he calls in, he just asks for the price he wants and if they don't give it to him, he just drops the name of his bud and he gets it (within reason of course).  Just shows that relationships are everything.  That and dropping a fuck ton of money with them over time.  

So you're saying I should pick up the phone next time the guy from Sweetwater calls to follow up on the cord I bought from them 6 years ago? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

My grandfather used to always say that timing and phrasing where more important than tone and even pitch.

On of the most important tips I ever got on the guitar was to play it like a drum / percussion instrument.

I used to question those 2 ideas. The older I get the more I understand and agree with both.

I’ve never heard that before, but it makes so much sense.  Also it reminds me of something Ginger Baker said about Clapton.  It was along the lines of “he had time.”  He meant that as a drummer’s compliment.  And I think what he was saying is Clapton played guitar like a drum. For a good example, just listen to the solo in Sleepy Time Time, starting at 2:18:

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

This. I’m out of rep but props to her.

Also, pickguard for the new bass came in:
4978c1cb51e5bf0f731fc3d4e1a16958.jpg

Forgive all the crap in the background. My office has become a staging area for selling off baby stuff we don’t need anymore.

Great looking combo. That looks like a minimalist zen garden compared to any corner of my abode.

• Like 2

I had no idea, but there are a plethora of slightly different Jazz bass sizes and shapes, leading to a plethora of available pick guard combos.  The guys who did mine were great and the turn around was fast, but it was not cheap.  In any case, shout out to them if you need any pickguard work.  Here's a link with two pages(!!!) of varying Jazz bass pick guards.

https://www.wdmusic.com/pickguards-fender-jazz-bass.html

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

This. I’m out of rep but props to her.

Also, pickguard for the new bass came in:
4978c1cb51e5bf0f731fc3d4e1a16958.jpg

Forgive all the crap in the background. My office has become a staging area for selling off baby stuff we don’t need anymore.

Guard pops the white...obligatory 'rug pulls room together'

Edited by noharleyyet

18 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I completely agree.  For one thing, it's known that the average listener can't discern sharp as much as flat, so when I work with singers I encourage them to aim for the top side of the pitch, especially on intervals.  But also, your point about timing is absolutely true -- singing behind the beat, while appropriate in certain "artistic" situations, tends to make the listener think the singer lacks confidence.  Had this been a real effort, I would have pushed my daughter to get on top of the beat more, but the last thing I needed to do in that moment was crap all over her performance.  14, you know.

One daughter played violin and guitar.....didn't stick with either.

Next daughter played piano and clarinet....didn't stick with either.    So glad your daughter is keeping the music going in your family.  It is truly something you can do virtually your entire life.  Amazing.  

39 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

One daughter played violin and guitar.....didn't stick with either.

Next daughter played piano and clarinet....didn't stick with either.    So glad your daughter is keeping the music going in your family.  It is truly something you can do virtually your entire life.  Amazing.  

She's actually thinking of doing a dual major in college (UT's "polymathic scholar" program) -- music + neurobiology.  Makes my head hurt.

She's actually thinking of doing a dual major in college (UT's "polymathic scholar" program) -- music + neurobiology.  Makes my head hurt.

Takes after Mom?

My 12 year old daughter has been singing in key since age 3 and has been taking piano for a few years now. She has her old man’s ear but also his lazy streak. I need to get her to focus on her uke and get into some vox lessons.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Foggy Notion said:

In case you wanna buy the Sweet Home Alabama Strat, it's listed at the ink below with other celebrity owned gear including a couple Dumbles...

https://cartervintage.com/collections/celebrity-owned

And to echo what others have already said, yeah JJ, that clip is really good.

Damn, wish I could have snapped up one of those $0.00 ones before they sold.