15 hours ago, dcbc said:

Me three.

q12q5-7-Ylztt-HPo-F8-Kf04-Wke-J9-UL1sa-K

/'16/'64

GKPlxlk-Ej-CYq-U0exe-Bo05l6irbac-VZV0-Uv

/'16'52

k2xs-Ml9-Gr6wgbul18-lz-Vku-Gsce-Ii-W3-Qr

'90 N9edition

We had two bags of grass, 75 pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious telecaster drug  collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

-Raoul Duke

Edited by noharleyyet
  • Like 2

Newly mounted neck day:
f1934f47b8a98bab6584986ed3ababde.jpg

e56443abebba08eaef66069be6ef968f.jpg

Had to drop the new Jazz off at the shop when I picked this up. On “passive” it’s quiet as a mouse. When I switch to “active” there’s a huge buzz. Let’s hope the expense of fixing it doesn’t wipe out the bargain I got on it.

Also learned that a standard Jazz pickguard doesn’t fit. So had to order one. Anyone looking for a brand new Standard Jazz tortoise shell pickguard?

• Like 5

This is a partscaster I designed in 8th grade. The wiring is 5 way switch Strat with the 2nd tone controlling bridge tone. It’s a push pull that turns the bridge on when you have the 5 way set on neck or neck/middle. So you can get any combo of the three pups.

The middle pup is reverse wound, so if you combine it with neck or bridge, you essentially have a humbucker.

The neck was the final bit to make it exactly as I’d wished. Plays like butter. Can’t keep my hands off it. My two partscasters in their place:
19ce49db9d1f4d62e690da22ef2c279c.jpg

• Like 6

^ I want a blackout strat like that but with a black headstock and ebony neck. The Gilmour thing (all black body, solid maple neck) is cool AF though. That mirror pickguard on the tele is sweet too. I just ordered a white and an orange pickguard pickguard for my tele and they're both great. You can order the shit directly from China on Amazon and they're about 1/3rd to 1/4th the cost of ones sold by Fender and "big" brands (who are buying the damn things from China anyways!). 

Fender "White Pearl": $36.99

81Z5zTl3VQL._SL1500_.jpg

Musiclily "Parchment Pearl": $9.44

71f8NJj4aHL._SL1500_.jpg

That’s cool. I ordered a cheap ass one once and it didn’t fit. They are probably better now.

When I bought that black strat a buddy I worked with said hey let my buddy who works at Fender Corp get it for you So I said ok. Do that, black am std, maple, and order extra black plastic parts for anything that is white.

That was 1998. I think I paid $425 for that guitar. I’ve since changed all the pickups, added graphite saddles, and had the neck completely redone and planed true with new big ass frets. Pickups are hand would bill Lawrence’s in the neck and middle and a SD Custom HB in the bridge, coil tapped to be a single in position 2. Set up as a hard tail.

It is hands down the best playing and sounding guitar I have ever played. You can drag it around behind a car and it won’t go out of tune.

The Tele has the same neck treatment as the strat. Also has a set of lindy fralins in it that I don’t dig. Going to swap back to stock. It is also a fantastic playing guitar due to the neck work. It is a 2012ish am std I bought off Hello Music for $799. Might swap the pick guard for MOTS. The above ones have me thinking....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Grandioso said:

This is the orange one I got for $7.99.

51P9mOeqs6L._SL1280_.jpg

Does your Tele currently have the pickup mounted to the body as opposed to the pickguard?

My 69 Tele came with a non original black guard with the neck pickup mounted to the guard. I just bought a vintage style 3-ply white guard with pearloid on the back that doesn't have the screw holes on the guard by the neck pickup. In order to put the new guard on, I'll need to mount the pickup to the body. 

My tele's neck pickup is loose, yeah. For the orange guard one I'm going to drill some holes next to the neck pickup opening. It won't need to be a super clean job because the heads of the screws will cover the edges of the holes. Most pickguards have the holes though.The vintage white one I ordered and am using now has them. I just wanted this orange one so bad I figured I'd improvise.

So, the '51 Nocaster pickups in that Partscaster I left at my Mom's sounded so good that I'm seriously thinking about building another Telecaster to keep in San Francisco. I don't guess any of y'all wanna talk me out of it fo you??

I already found a nice Warmoth neck. This time I'd buy a finished body. The bigest hangup is the color; likely the offset Jazzcaster body.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

So, the '51 Nocaster pickups in that Partscaster I left at my Mom's sounded so good that I'm seriously thinking about building another Telecaster to keep in San Francisco. I don't guess any of y'all wanna talk me out of it fo you??

I already found a nice Warmoth neck. This time I'd buy a finished body. The bigest hangup is the color; likely the offset Jazzcaster body.

Mark Jenny sells an offset Tele body. For $375, you get to pick the color and amount of relicing, if any. I've read good reviews of his work.

http://www.mjtagedfinishes.com/vtm-model/

He also sells guitar bodies on Ebay. You can score one for less than the regular price in an auction, but you wouldn't get to pick the color and the VTM offset Tele bodies don't show up as often as his Strat and Tele bodies. There's a nice sunburst on Ebay right now that ends in a couple days. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F312402012744

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Oh hells to the yeah.  I'm all for parts casters as is well documented here. 

I'm going to go ahead and pitch these guys for a body/finish.  They do nitro, where Warmoth doesn't.  It took them a while to get my Jazzocaster neck done, but damn if it isn't one of the best finishes I've ever seen.  And I say this having just used Warmoth for my Tele body.  They both do great work, it's more of a question of which direction you want to go.  

https://guitarmill.com/guitarmill/

One day (not soon, mind you), I'm going to do a Strat set up for slide playing.  I'll strongly consider these guys for the vintage look.

57 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Got home last night and moved some gear into to the new rehearsal space this afternoon. It was great being able to crank the Super Reverb for a while. Just the Explorer into the SR, no gadgets in between. Magic.

That's badass. Feels like it's been forever since I loaded gear into a practice space. I'm a lil jelly.

10 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Oh hells to the yeah.  I'm all for parts casters as is well documented here. 

I'm going to go ahead and pitch these guys for a body/finish.  They do nitro, where Warmoth doesn't.  It took them a while to get my Jazzocaster neck done, but damn if it isn't one of the best finishes I've ever seen.  And I say this having just used Warmoth for my Tele body.  They both do great work, it's more of a question of which direction you want to go.  

https://guitarmill.com/guitarmill/

One day (not soon, mind you), I'm going to do a Strat set up for slide playing.  I'll strongly consider these guys for the vintage look.

Guitar Mill did the butterscotch refinish on my 69 Tele about 10 years ago according to the documents that came with it. They did a really nice job on the finish and plugged some screw holes in the body from a Bigsby that was added to the guitar and then later removed. I'm contemplating having it refinished yet again back to its original white, but I'm not quite there yet.

Son of a...
Damnit, Foggy, I did not need to see that all.

My feels exactly. Hot damn that gallery.

This needs to be the year that I finally get a SSS guitar. I’m not shy about my affinity for the relic look. Maybe a heavy relic Strat from those guys with a Fender neck with the backwards headstock and Seymour Duncan Jimi Hendrix pickups.

2 hours ago, Deej said:

You should always have an extra Tele around in Open G with the top string removed.

Was just about to mention that. For 100% accuracy, this is the way to go. Keith really hacks his chords and removing the low E string removes all possibility of hitting that sour note. Even when the low E is dropped to D, it is problematic.

I'm guessing Keith did this to make his Tele drunk-proof when he does that I-IV hammer on/pull off. 

Edited by Grandioso
  • Like 1

Yeah, you can't dig into it properly with the low E string on it. Screws with the attack.

I've got my blacked out Tele with the three Nocaster bridge pups as my "Keef" Tele. It is the only tuning that guitar really seems to get along with. Such a strange beast.

Edited by Deej
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Yeah, you can't dig into it properly with the low E string on it. Screws with the attack.

I've got my blacked out Tele with the three Nocaster bridge pups as my "Keef" Tele. It is the only tuning that guitar really seems to get along with. Such a strange beast.

Now I want a Nashville style Tele with all bridge pickups. And fuck it, make 'em ALL super hot ones like Fralin High Output Bridges or Rio Grande Dirty Harry Bridges. Make the chicks feel it in their bikini area.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Oh, it's in Wimberly. They'll probably trap you into taking a 3 hour tour looking at properties you will never be able to afford.

Nah.  I live there.  I offered $700 without the case.  I'll keep y'all posted.