The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Where we at on a starter electric guitar + amp, $700 budget?  Asking for a friend.  (Literally.)  Alt-rock, etc.

Ordinarily I'd be on my "tubes or die" horse but in this case the Katana or Ninja or whatever it is you guys like probably makes sense.

Depending on the cost of the amp, I'm thinking some kind of Epi?  Like a LP?

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Where we at on a starter electric guitar + amp, $700 budget?  Asking for a friend.  (Literally.)  Alt-rock, etc.

Ordinarily I'd be on my "tubes or die" horse but in this case the Katana or Ninja or whatever it is you guys like probably makes sense.

Got my kids a katana mini to practice with and it’s a perfect entry level/portable practice amp. I am very impressed with the sound/features for $99.99.  Definitely possible someone could outgrow it quickly, but it still would be useful in a travel/practice/bedroom role if/when they upgrade.  Buy it used and they won’t eat much of a loss if they wind up wanting to sell it quick.  Someone else will need to give advice on a guitar.

On 1/19/2019 at 8:48 AM, Celery Man said:

Yeah, it's interesting, I don't know anything about Aria.  Quick Google indicates that it is a Japanese brand, and doesn't seem like quite as simple as a cheap Wal-Mart brand or anything.  Interesting range of prices here https://reverb.com/brand/aria.  The one linked above is the same guitar, although it has Seymour Duncan pickups which may possibly actually inflate the price a tad.  That one doesn't say anything about active pickups and I don't see a battery compartment or anything here

xwp2uvptfqzomhqbhtng.jpg

so I would guess that your guitar needs a little TLC with a soldering gun to function properly.  It looks cool though, and it has that whole 80s Jackson/Charvel/Ibanez super strat thing going.  My wild ass highly speculative guess is that you could go get $100 for it fairly easily and may be able to get closer to $200 if you can better determine what's wrong with it and possibly fix it.  But that is highly speculative and based on very little good information.

Celery, thank you.  No bullshit I spent some real time trying to hunt it down, and never found anything.  Serial #'s, model #'s etc.    Then you post this in a day.  So I take a quick look on Ebay to see if there is anything similar, and...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/80s-Aria-Pro-II-XR-Series-Electric-Guitar-Blue-Quilt-USED/163444809452?hash=item260e11deec:g:aQ8AAOSwl5JcHWFd:rk:2:pf:0

I might tinker with it, I am actually competent with soldering.    

I can clean out a bit more of the garage, and maybe make $100 or so.  Too bad the little Crate amp I had with it isnt worth much, more to ship than it's worth.  Might try to get a $20 for it locally.

Thanks again. 

22 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Celery, thank you.  No bullshit I spent some real time trying to hunt it down, and never found anything.  Serial #'s, model #'s etc.    Then you post this in a day.  So I take a quick look on Ebay to see if there is anything similar, and...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/80s-Aria-Pro-II-XR-Series-Electric-Guitar-Blue-Quilt-USED/163444809452?hash=item260e11deec:g:aQ8AAOSwl5JcHWFd:rk:2:pf:0

I might tinker with it, I am actually competent with soldering.    

I can clean out a bit more of the garage, and maybe make $100 or so.  Too bad the little Crate amp I had with it isnt worth much, more to ship than it's worth.  Might try to get a $20 for it locally.

Thanks again. 

certainly, we love talking guitars here.  props to gasman as well for initially finding it on reverb

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

describe the alt rock, if possible.  I think my thought is probably roughly pick 1 between Les Paul and Fender strat/tele and then go from there (for someone who doesn't already definitely want a gretsch or a guitar with points or whatever).  But if he's not set on an LP or something like that, I think you could make a pretty good case for G&L Tribute ASAT (with humbucker in the bridge or the single coil).  And Katana 50.  You end up just under $700 (probably a bit over with taxes/shipping) from Musicians Friend, could chop a lot of that off easily looking at Reverb.  I have this guy and while I would still like to get nicer tuners (and had to tighten a nut on one of the knobs), it's a quality instrument.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gl-limited-edition-tribute-asat-classic-bluesboy-electric-guitar/j41403000001000?pfm=item_page.SDOTDrr1|SessionPurchaseCP

this was it fresh out of the box

• Like 2

Yeah. I no longer have it, but I liked it alot. It had a vintage kind of vibe to the sound. Part of the reason I jumped on that Thunderbolt was my regret of selling that Excelsior and not having a 15 inch speaker. It was the first version with the less efficient speaker. 

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Thanks for the heads up, that might be perfect for an all-around starter guitar.  My semi-hollow is configured the same way and I play that neck pickup quite a bit.

I've been tempted to get one myself, but I'm overbought on Tele style guitars at the moment. If you're picky at all about color, I've seen a lot of reviews that say that one doesn't really look like the photo when you pull it out of the box. It seems to vary in the light in photos I've seen, from pale pearlish blue to almost aqua green.

Here's are a couple from reverb:

td6lzmivotpx5a9dldpd.jpg

oofav1xgawtstd1sgnlt.jpg

• Like 2

I've been tempted to get one myself, but I'm overbought on Tele style guitars at the moment. If you're picky at all about color, I've seen a lot of reviews that say that one doesn't really look like the photo when you pull it out of the box. It seems to vary in the light in photos I've seen, from pale pearlish blue to almost aqua green.
td6lzmivotpx5a9dldpd.jpg
oofav1xgawtstd1sgnlt.jpg

I want to touch that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, tbone_ said:

Are you starting a Sammy Hagar tribute band?

Surely I've told this story once or eight times -- when Sammy headlined a stadium show I saw ~ 1980, he ran out of tunes.  He returned to the stage for an encore and quite literally said "we've played everything we know, do you guys want to hear Red again?"  Massive applause, etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Are you starting a Sammy Hagar tribute band?

Gear for the local music association, which I am treasurer of.

We had to get a few things for our open mic nights and are gearing up for kids camp in parallel.

So if anyone has an amp or something to donate we’d love to have it. Deej has an amp I am going to pick up soon.

Amps, guitars, keyboard, cymbals, bass guitars, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DougO said:

td6lzmivotpx5a9dldpd.jpg

oofav1xgawtstd1sgnlt.jpg

Bottom picture is what it looks like in most lighting, I think.

7 hours ago, tigol said:

Sweetwater came down to $715 on this one.  I assume it is made in Mexico given the materials described for the top.  Bad idea for my Dad?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DRS1--martin-drs1-natural?utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=lowerfunnelnew&utm_content=display&utm_term=300x250

I'm not familiar with that, but a solid Martin under $800 seems like a go no matter what.  Also, it is never a bad idea to buy a guitar.  (And I'm a drummer).

• Like 2

Another fairly long video, but some interesting things, and fun to watch how excited these guys get about the new Gibson stuff.  I especially liked the reaction at the 27:53 mark about the Johnny Winter replica Firebird, as JW is one of my all time favorites and doesn't get enough appreciation (IMHO), and I also liked the 31:10 mark where they show the prototype Billy Gibbons SG, with the Texas shaped backing plate.  Enjoy.

My full Eric Johnson interview. About 40% of it are some songs we play to break it up into segments. Enjoy. 

Only thing I messed up was saying that "Trademark" was on "Collage" album he just put out. Felt really smart about that. 

Edited by Grandioso
  • Like 4