The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

On 1/23/2019 at 3:56 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Where we at on a starter electric guitar + amp, $700 budget? 

The only tip I would like to share here is, buy it off Reverb. usually (often, I guess?) comes w/a hardshell case built into the price so it's essentially free. 

You maybe knew that, or don't care about the case, or whatever. Maybe Strait/GC is different now than when I was in college and they throw it in for free.

I got my Les Paul out this morning. I keep it in a padded case hidden in a closet because its irreplaceable to me. Also to encourage myself to play my other guitars. I hadn't played it in a few months. It was perfectly in tune and plays & sounds even better than I remembered. I'm so fucking lucky to own this guitar. It would be hard for me to trade it for an actual '59 Flametop.

b950c506de8f2f328138ba668738a1ff.jpg

• Like 5

Yeah, that's a beauty.  What's the finish? 
I was engineering demos for Pariah when they got their Geffen deal and Kyle scored a Gibson endorsement -- his first goodie was a "Honeyburst" Les Paul.  My God that thing was beyond gorgeous.
My buddy is the lead guitarist for Rantings of Eva. How bought a Honeyburst. Said it looked like a 16 yr old virgin chick came all over it. I bought a Honeyburst after that description
  • Like 1

On 1/23/2019 at 4:56 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Where we at on a starter electric guitar + amp, $700 budget?  Asking for a friend.  (Literally.)  Alt-rock, etc.

Ordinarily I'd be on my "tubes or die" horse but in this case the Katana or Ninja or whatever it is you guys like probably makes sense.

Depending on the cost of the amp, I'm thinking some kind of Epi?  Like a LP?

New?

48 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

1 of 4 delivered.

622b56a83bd09f031d11f81df1179837.jpg

It is in really really good shape. Almost perfect. Need to restring but that’s really it. Action is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wait, what?  One of four?  I didn't flash to the quantity.  Which one is that beauty?

Wait, what?  One of four?  I didn't flash to the quantity.  Which one is that beauty?

Yep 1 of 4. Posted about it Friday I believe. Ordered 3 guitars and 1 bass and a set of drums. All red or red sparkle (our music association color is primarily red).

Bought some DW hardware Saturday for 65% off (all brand new).

Now to buy:
Fender champion 100 probably
2 crashes and hi-hat
Snare stand
Throne

A few more things as well (amps for kids, etc)

We are building a back line for our open mic nights and for our kids camp this summer.

33 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Yep 1 of 4. Posted about it Friday I believe. Ordered 3 guitars and 1 bass and a set of drums. All red or red sparkle (our music association color is primarily red).

Bought some DW hardware Saturday for 65% off (all brand new).

Now to buy:
Fender champion 100 probably
2 crashes and hi-hat
Snare stand
Throne

A few more things as well (amps for kids, etc)

We are building a back line for our open mic nights and for our kids camp this summer.

Still have an amp for you.

17 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, that's a beauty.  What's the finish? 

I was engineering demos for Pariah when they got their Geffen deal and Kyle scored a Gibson endorsement -- his first goodie was a "Honeyburst" Les Paul.  My God that thing was beyond gorgeous.

My 2014 Traditional is a Honeyburst.  Me likey. 

IMAG0275-1-1.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I have never been a fan of the traditional burst LP finishes. Dunno why.

At the same time, I do like butterscotch Teles. I do not like regular plain color strats (red, black, blue), though, unless they have a black pickguard. I’m weird.

...username & whatnot

12 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

That's how you make an entrance.

Lutz:

Though I’m new here, I have been following yourself, along with T-bone, Deej and Miles postings for awhile. You guys are pretty damn entertaining. But I am by any definition a bonafide gear head.

Full disclosure; I’m also an old, please don’t kick me out the clubhouse. It also means fuck the grandkids. I’m spending the money now. I earned it, ima gonna spend it.

I have a few more I’m trying to load up to post. That imbb thing can be a little finicky.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Lutz:

Though I’m new here, I have been following yourself, along with T-bone, Deej and Miles postings for awhile. You guys are pretty damn entertaining. But I am by any definition a bonafide gear head.

Full disclosure; I’m also an old, please don’t kick me out the clubhouse. It also means fuck the grandkids. I’m spending the money now. I earned it, ima gonna spend it.

I have a few more I’m trying to load up to post. That imbb thing can be a little finicky.

Pace yourself, old timer.

We're not going anywhere.

15 minutes ago, Deej said:

First Telecaster Deluxe made available on Reverb. 

https://reverb.com/item/3949370-fender-telecaster-deluxe-prototype-1972-mocha-brown

A guy in my Dad's band had one of those back in the day.  It was heavy as hell.  Felt like it was made of lead.  And that was AFTER I'd played a Les Paul.

6 hours ago, noharleyyet said:

Gorgeous...like how the flame runs almost to the shadowed edges. 

It's heavy as hell (10 lbs, x oz), but it plays about as well out of the box as anything I've had.  The 59 Tribute pickups they used on the Traditionals that year are great.

Edited by dcbc

I’d been feeling self conscious lately about the fact that I pretty much hold a pick between my thumb and middle finger instead of thumb and pointer. I felt like that was limiting me in terms of trying to learn hybrid picking.

Then I came across this today:

Well hell if it’s good enough for the King it’s good enough for me!

I’ll make this the last for the day. This was my first time dipping my toe into the custom guitar purchase. 

There was a cat on the old site (sorry man I don’t remember your handle or I give you a shout out) who had a connection to a specific guy at Corona. Which got me around the front desk so to speak. He pretty much coached me through the process of how you actually order a custom shop guitar. Unfortunately about six weeks after I send in the deposit I run across a poster of Jimi at Isle of Wight. And instantly regreted asking for the rosewood, and Olympic rather then Maple and Artic white. It plays great, sounds great, but it has never tickled me the way I had hoped. And much to my wife’s dissatisfaction was probably the biggest reason I would go down the 57-60 Burst rabbit hole with Tom Wittrock.

1-E030-FA5-DBE2-423-C-8807-3-F5834-B6750

• Like 5