The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Chad, just busting your chops because I don't have a single story that starts with, "Did I ever tell you about the time I was playing a gig at a Patagonia oilfield?"

I taught English down there for a year. Played a borrowed Yamaha Pacifica through some crappy little amp. The rest of the band were all in management at YPF (big oil company down there). I was tutoring one in English and Voila! Band.

The city was Comodoro Rivadavia. It was like Midland on the sea. Nothing fancy at all.

Was listening to some Mark Knopfler this morning and came across this guy on YouTube playing on the sidewalk named Miguel Montalban.

He can play Dire Straights as good as anyone not named Mark Knopfler. Dude is amazing and I would be out there everyday if I could play like him, also does a mean rendition of some JJ Cale stuff

Nah,the Shaggy Screamer is home safe in the studio.

Speaking of, I made the mistake of bringing my Les Paul to the studio. Now I can't play anything else. The Explorer and V both sound like sniveling little pussies compared to that Les Paul. I think they both have those 490-whatevers that were in my SG before i swapped them for Burstbucker Pros. I'm gonna bring the SG to practice Monday and see how it stands up. If it passes I'll probably put Burstbuckers or Classic 57s in the others. If not I may try some Dirty Fingers. If that doesn't do it I dont know what I'll do. Just play the Les Paul exclusively I guess.

14 hours ago, Mileslong said:

Was listening to some Mark Knopfler this morning and came across this guy on YouTube playing on the sidewalk named Miguel Montalban.

He can play Dire Straights as good as anyone not named Mark Knopfler. Dude is amazing and I would be out there everyday if I could play like him, also does a mean rendition of some JJ Cale stuff

Who names a sidewalk?

• Like 1

Finally listed my Edwards "Les Paul" on Reverb.

https://reverb.com/item/19274022-edwards-e-lp-125sd-cherry-sunburst

I mentioned many pages back that I just couldn't get used to the scale length, and really missed the brightness of single coils. It's been sitting in its case for the past few months, and thought it would be better served by someone else.

Nah,the Shaggy Screamer is home safe in the studio.

Speaking of, I made the mistake of bringing my Les Paul to the studio. Now I can't play anything else. The Explorer and V both sound like sniveling little pussies compared to that Les Paul. I think they both have those 490-whatevers that were in my SG before i swapped them for Burstbucker Pros. I'm gonna bring the SG to practice Monday and see how it stands up. If it passes I'll probably put Burstbuckers or Classic 57s in the others. If not I may try some Dirty Fingers. If that doesn't do it I dont know what I'll do. Just play the Les Paul exclusively I guess.

Try a seymore Duncan alnico II pro in the neck and a custom sh5 in the bridge in the explorer or the v. They are fantastic and way under appreciated imo. The guy that works on my guitars swears by them and now I do too. There will be no more sniveling pussies with these.
  • Like 2

Periodic G&L update from Surly's #1 G&L fanboy. The guys at G&L seem to be getting edgier, especially the custom shop. Interesting stuff. 

Jerry Cantrell is their most high profile hard rock/metal devotee, but I can see some of these catching the attention of other pros in the genre. 

Edited by Grandioso
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, with cream pickups and tone knobs and a rosewood neck.  The Neopolitan Ice Cream of Telecasters.

G&L can make that for you. You can literally own that guitar in 4-6 weeks.

So long as you go through a distributor, you can get a custom anything without the "custom" upcharge. I bought my G&L Doheny from a dealer in Minnesota who walked me through everything and also gave me the scoop on G&L's production and designers. And when the guitar was ready, he had G&L just bypass his brick and mortar store entirely and ship it to me. The ugly, prejudicial rumors about people from Minnesota are true: they are essentially Canadian in their politeness and helpfulness.

Here's a place that takes all the G&L options and converts them to a form/price list. 

https://axepalace.com/guitars/g-l/build-your-own-g-l.html

Y'all should buy this Stupid Deal if you don't have one already:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid?source=3TP9BJH&mscr=2137401_31386

Limited Edition Tribute ASAT Classic Ash Body Electric Guitar Gloss Natural

The G&L ASAT Classic is Leo’s final word on the traditional single-cutaway bolt-on axe. This special version features an ash body in natural gloss, a 9.5" fretboard radius and a tortoise pickguard. 

Framed in a classic boxed-steel bridge, the G&L-designed alnico pickups deliver crisp attack with complex harmonics while individual brass saddles offer modern levels of intonation refinement. 
The Tribute Series ASAT Classic is dripping with Leo mojo at a price attainable for every working musician. Once you play a G&L Tribute Series, you’ll never look back. Case sold separately.
 less
Was:  Regular Price $499.99Savings:  Your Savings $200.00Your Price $299.99

• Like 1

On 2/16/2019 at 9:26 AM, Mileslong said:

Such a weird and schizophrenic song that somehow just works and makes beautiful sense. The subject matter of the song is a NOLA jazz band but the musical style is a classical chord progression underneath classical and Nashville-country style lead playing.

J41359000001000-00-250x250.jpg  
DV030_Jpg_BrandLogo_1363_g_and_l.jpg  

G&L Limited Edition Tribute ASAT Classic Ash Body Electric Guitar Gloss Natural

The G&L ASAT Classic is Leo’s final word on the traditional single-cutaway bolt-on axe. This special version features an ash body in natural gloss, a 9.5" fretboard radius and a tortoise pickguard. 

Framed in a classic boxed-steel bridge, the G&L-designed alnico pickups deliver crisp attack with complex harmonics while individual brass saddles offer modern levels of intonation refinement. 
The Tribute Series ASAT Classic is dripping with Leo mojo at a price attainable for every working musician. Once you play a G&L Tribute Series, you’ll never look back. Case sold separately.
 less Was:  Regular Price $499.99Savings:  Your Savings $200.00Your Price $299.99  
Dammit. Already gone

2 minutes ago, hullabelew said:
3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

less Was:  Regular Price $499.99Savings:  Your Savings $200.00Your Price $299.99  

Read more  

Dammit. Already gone

Nope, add it to your cart -- it drops to $299

For any of you who may wander into Bell county wishing there were an independent guitar music store to visit, Texas Tour Gear has located itself in Belton a block off of Central behind/caddycorner to Schoepf's bbq. They just signed a merchandise deal with Fender and will be stocking up with new Strats and stuff in the coming weeks. They have a really good guitar repair/tech guy who also builds and sells his own guitars from scratch (as much as possible). Nice little store with some good dudes in it.

They were in an industrial park off 190 outside of town for the past few years, just couldn't get any foot traffic there, lots of people didn't even know it was there. This should be a good move, but definitely fighting an uphill battle going up against GC and the intertron.

26 minutes ago, hullabelew said:
3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Read more  

Dammit. Already gone

That's a shame. For a while they were keeping their stupid deal of the hour sales available all day, but looks like they have gone back to the original format.

They have been putting the ASATs on the SDOTD every couple of weeks, though, so it likely will be back soon.

Just now, DougO said:

That's a shame. For a while they were keeping their stupid deal of the hour sales available all day, but looks like they have gone back to the original format.

They have been putting the ASATs on the SDOTD every couple of weeks, though, so it likely will be back soon.

I'm telling you, put the guitar in your cart and it gives you "extended pricing" equal to what it was earlier today.

• Like 1

Browsing through Amazon Prime Now, trying to find something to add to my order to qualify for free delivery, and search "guitar". Maybe I can add some strings to the order? One of the items the search brings up is a stainless steel flask funnel. Seems about right. 

• Like 1

Like most modeling products, that guitar could find a home on stage with weekend warriors who can't bring an arsenal.  It sounds fairly convincing, but to me, everything is just a smidge "off".

As always seems to be the case, a pure in-the-room acoustic audition is lacking.  For some reason, most acoustic electric guitars that work well through an amp or PA just don't sound that good on the front porch with no electricity (I'm talking to you, Takamine).  This one is no exception.

Plugged in, it's a pretty nice version of an amplified acoustic guitar.  The different blends are cool, but of course, a by-product of the base technology:  modeling.  Still, it should be judged against real acoustic guitars equipped with pickups, and frankly, almost anything I've ever heard sounds at best like half-ass through a PA.  Without mic'ing the guitar proper, acoustics just don't do so well on stage.  This one is better.  Yeah, it's a simulation, but it's a good one.

The Tele pickup is also fairly convincing.  I don't think Redd Volkaert is likely to sign up, but it's still better than passable.

I can totally see being the singer + rhythm dude in a 4-piece band using this to maximum effect.  In the end, it's extremely flexible and who has time or money to drag a bunch of shit on stage?

Aesthetic remark:  that pickguard looks like ass.  I don't know why "designers" try so hard to fuck up what was 90% decent (in this case by shaving off the upper half inch).  Whatever.

• Like 2