The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I have one of the misfit-toy Les Paul classics and while I hate the g force and have just been procrastinating removing it, I overall love it. Plus it's the maple top that creates some really warm sustain - although probably imagined because it just looks nice.

e533cfc8e5ca84f9ef8ee4670f89f3d3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I'm tempted myself on that R7.

Yeah, no kidding.  I have a spot reserved for the right flame top boat oar, but dang.  That R7 has the vibe.  And the new has been knocked off of it, so you don't have to worry about that.

• Like 1

Well, somebody buy the damned thing.
From up-thread. I think we found our candidate.

I haven't had any particular itch to buy new guitar/gear, not really looking, but I'm getting this inkling that I'm going to end up buying something soon. I don't know why. Cabin fever maybe, or just the probability over time since the last time I got something.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'll say I bought a 2015 LP Jr on blowout Super cheap, and it plays great. A little getting g used to the flat wide neck, bit I actually kinda like it. I'm used to zero frets from my Gretsch. Stupid logo and holograph are stupid, but so what? I hate the GForce tuning* and should trade it for regular tuners, otherwise it's a fine guitar.

*I wouldn't mind it except it takes longer to tune itself than if i just do it myself, and i hate having to carry a charging cord for a guitar. I have enough shit to try and keep up with.

Adorama has brand new Standard HSS sunburst Strats on sale for $400. Not bad.

https://www.adorama.com/fe144702532.html?sdtid=12891664&emailprice=t&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905

Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS Electric Guitar, 21 Frets, Modern C Neck, Maple Fingerboard, No Bag, Passive Pickup, Polyester, Brown Sunburst

fe144702532.jpg

2 hours ago, DougO said:

Adorama has brand new Standard HSS sunburst Strats on sale for $400. Not bad.

https://www.adorama.com/fe144702532.html?sdtid=12891664&emailprice=t&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905

Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS Electric Guitar, 21 Frets, Modern C Neck, Maple Fingerboard, No Bag, Passive Pickup, Polyester, Brown Sunburst

fe144702532.jpg

While I've never been a big fan of the MIM Standard series, that's a good price and you won't be able to buy a Mexican Fender for that cheap much longer. When Fender discontinued the Standard series last year and replaced it with the Player series, they raised the price too. The new Players feel pretty good, but a new MIM Fender will now set you back about $675.

https://reverb.com/news/fender-discontinues-mim-standard-series-replaces-with-the-player-series

That HSS is the perfect starter guitar. Single coil in the neck for blues, bucker in the bridge for rock, probably plays pretty well and isn’t a nightmare to keep in tune. I borrowed a Squier version from a friend for a couple years and really liked it.

22 hours ago, ohchaucer said:

I have one of the misfit-toy Les Paul classics and while I hate the g force and have just been procrastinating removing it, I overall love it. Plus it's the maple top that creates some really warm sustain - although probably imagined because it just looks nice.

e533cfc8e5ca84f9ef8ee4670f89f3d3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nut talk....

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?206857-2015-Les-Paul-Traditional-Zero-Fret-Nut

18 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

do they really turn green?

Depending on what paint is used, yes.  They used (and on newer historics, still use) a bronzing powder with real metal in it.  Because of the nature of lacquers being oxygen permeable, the metal oxidizes and you get green.  I've heard that doesn't happen with the poly coated 70s ones, but I haven't really dealt with those that much.  

My R6 is a little over ten years old and has been mostly in either it's case or one room in my house.  It only has the slightest green to it.  

Thought I would put this rig rundown here.. this is the most insane rig rundown of all time for one of my favorite guitarists, the Edge.

This one is done while U2 was on tour, the edge carries 49 guitars with him! Their typical set is 26 songs and he uses 23 different guitars on those 26.

One example is he has 6 identical 1973 Strats with the big headstock all with different tunings for different songs. He is the most anal guitarist of all time. Each one will have different spaces between pickup post and stings. Different wireless units for each all with different settings.

I can’t even describe the detail of this one, you must watch it to believe it.

Another nice Adorama deal, black Tele this time. If it were Lake Placid blue it would be mine.

Fender Standard Telecaster Electric Guitar, 21 Frets, Modern C Neck, Maple Fingerboard, Passive Pickup, No Bag, Polyester, Black

SKU: FE145102506 MFR: 0145102506

Special Price

$449.99 You save: $150.00 (25%)

Regular Price: $599.99

Thought I would put this rig rundown here.. this is the most insane rig rundown of all time for one of my favorite guitarists, the Edge.

This one is done while U2 was on tour, the edge carries 49 guitars with him! Their typical set is 26 songs and he uses 23 different guitars on those 26.

One example is he has 6 identical 1973 Strats with the big headstock all with different tunings for different songs. He is the most anal guitarist of all time. Each one will have different spaces between pickup post and stings. Different wireless units for each all with different settings.

I can’t even describe the detail of this one, you must watch it to believe it.

And you can replicate 99% of his sound with a Strat and a delay pedal. :)
  • Like 4

Not guitar pron but yesterday I found a Roadrunner jumbo stick back with the tag still on it for $5, looked unused. I looked it up and they go for about $30. I was trying to convince myself to buy it and find some purpose for it that would suit a need, or just sell it on ebay and make a few bucks.

\

Any ideas?

Only vaguely guitar related:

So I had a table built. Guy asked what I wanted for the top. I really only know a couple of woods and wood looks and they are all guitar tops. I tell him "flame maple." He asks "WTF is flame maple?" I text him a pic of Slash's guitar. A month later this was delivered. I'm like "Where's the burst, homie?"

3ea909e0e869a1215c0791fe5d09bc2d.jpg

• Like 1