The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Feeling called out af right now.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/joe_bonamassa_thinks_you_dont_need_a_lot_of_money_for_great_sound_says_paul_reed_smith_is_just_another_corporate_guy_now.html?fbclid=IwAR122uwQMnvTZCFKySo05U7ejX-RS_PjO8vCeDh0dYvI8vx7Wx2xBDHzl54

(Side note: I own a Hot Rod DeVille and think every player should own some flavor of Hot Rod. They are near perfect amps.)

Edited by BoomMF
  • Like 1

So I'm not as much of a tinkerer as a lot of you guys.  Every year or two, I buy a guitar, I play it a while, and if it doesn't spark joy, I turn around and sell it a few months later.  If it sparks joy, I keep it (and usually sell something else).  But I rarely swap out pickups or bridges or whatever.  But I'm about to do some tinkering.

My most-played guitar is an orange 1990 Tele.  Y'all have seen it.  It's got the classic Tele mojo.   I've also got that blonde offset Tele (which you've also seen), and it sounds... fine.  Just fine... but it can't compete with its older brother, an almost 30-year old custom shop number that got relic'ed the old fashioned way.    The blonde offset also wasn't set up all that well out-of-the-box, which is frustrating for a nice American-made Fender.  So it rarely made it out of the closet, which puts it at high risk to get sold.

A few months ago, I listed the offset on Reverb.  Was only on there for a few minutes before I reconsidered.  I really love how it looks.  It's also very light and nicely balanced.  And the modern C Fender is probably my all-time favorite neck.  

So I decided to keep it and tweak it.  I have a professional musician friend who has a Nash Tele with underwound pickups, and I just love how it sounds (side note:  I have changed my mind on the over- vs under-wound thing.  Though blanket statements are impossible, I increasingly like the sparkle of underwound pickups, which just can't be replicated by EQ controls IMO).  

So I just ordered a set of Lollars, and when they get here, I'll get it setup by somebody who really knows how to set up guitars. 

Pics on completion.

Edited by Paul Wesley
  • Like 5

I have finally came to the realization that I need to get rid of a few guitars. I rarely play anymore. For those of you that sell, where have you had the most success? Craigslist? Reverb? Ebay? Nothing rare just a Fender Strat, a PRS Stripped 58 and a Rainsong carbon fiber acoustic. 

I went to a rando Guitar Center in BFE Ft. Lauderdale that looked like that, an old unassuming strip style that looked like a hold-over from the 70s. I stopped because I always go into GCs when I come across them, but I wasn't expecting much just doing my due diligence. Turned out to be a Platinum Guitar Center with a crazy deep inventory, including more Gibson Custom Shops than I'd ever seen under one roof and an amp wall that went 15 feet high.

I still dream of that place. /csb

10 minutes ago, BoomMF said:

I went to a rando Guitar Center in BFE Ft. Lauderdale that looked like that, an old unassuming strip style that looked like a hold-over from the 70s. I stopped because I always go into GCs when I come across them, but I wasn't expecting much just doing my due diligence. Turned out to be a Platinum Guitar Center with a crazy deep inventory, including more Gibson Custom Shops than I'd ever seen under one roof and an amp wall that went 15 feet high.

This Xanadu that you speak of?  Are there pics?

200.gif

Well, this one isn't like that one. This is the kind of GC you walk into and wonder how they are in business. I've been in a few times before for a stand or strap or something and it's always empty. About 45 minutes East of San Francisco, hence why I rarely come to the office.

I thought the universal Guitar Center rule was that you have to play the most difficult piece you are comfortable playing so that all the other guitar posuer wanna-be's will know how awesome you are??

Which reminds me of a bad joke I heard the other day.

How many guitar players does it take to screw in a light bulb?

11. One to screw in the bulb and ten to nof their heads, point and say, "I can do that."

I'll be here all week.

2 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I thought the universal Guitar Center rule was that you have to play the most difficult piece you are comfortable playing so that all the other guitar posuer wanna-be's will know how awesome you are??

Which reminds me of a bad joke I heard the other day.

How many guitar players does it take to screw in a light bulb?

11. One to screw in the bulb and ten to nof their heads, point and say, "I can do that."

I'll be here all week.

It's the most difficult piece you are comfortable playing badly, from my experience.

• Haha 1

On 1/15/2019 at 12:38 PM, Paul Wesley said:

I am trying to tidy up my place, Marie Kondo-style (look her up... it's a thing).  

I own a big collection of song books.  Mostly classic rock, but a little songwriter/folk/pop stuff too.  Not sure what to do with them.  

When I was a kid, and trying to learn the guitar, I spent a considerable amount of my lawn-mowing money (the only money I had) on records and song books.  They were purchases that you considered very carefully.  There was a music store (musical instruments) 4 or 5 miles from my house, and I'd ride my bike there on a summer day, and then I'd just stand at the song book section and try to memorize as many chords as I could.  Then I'd ride home and immediately try to play what I had seen.  If I were smarter, I'd have snuck in pencil and paper.  

Anyway, I've got probably 30 songbooks that haven't been opened for a couple decades now.  Probably getting rid of them.

If it's any consolation to you gear-hoarding bastards, I'll use the space on the bookshelf for more pedals.  

I'm broke and trying to learn guitar.  I could pay postage  :)

I used to have a single rectifier. Great amp. IIRC, the singles have a ss rectifier which I thought sounded better on the cleans than the tube in the dual and triple.

My current practice/gig amp is an old Mesa 22 caliber. I’ve always been a Mesa fan. They’re really just hotrodded fenders after all.

Ya. They are great amps. I used to have a Mark V combo I sold. That Dual Rectifier sounded great when I played through it about a year ago, but honestly we keep forgetting to bring a speaker cable so I can try in it out in our new space with our new music. I also have a nice Peavy head sitting here that I wanna try through that cabinet. So far I play everything straight into one of those Fenders and use my Shaggy Screamer sparingly. I have a little pedal board, but it's too noisy when I plug it in. I need to figure out why, probably the one-spot power supply.

BTW, the Mesa belongs to the wife / girlfriend of our drummer. She used it to record an album a couple years ago and now it just sits there. I may buy it from her once I see if it fits our music.

• Like 1

My happy place!bfce9591407fc80122c2d5db2d1357d3.jpg

Also, see all those fucking cymbals? I fucking hate them. I wake up hearing them in my sleep like a flashback to 'Nam or something. What is it with drummers and cymbals? I'm probably gonna end up in prison for murdering our drummer with one of them.

Seriously, how do you get a drummer to stay off his beloved cymbals? He gets all sad and hurt when I tell him to stick to the snare and kick. I write in some spots where he can go nuts on those loud ass pieces of metal, but he cant resist throwing them in elsewhere too.

1 hour ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Also, see all those fucking cymbals? I fucking hate them. I wake up hearing them in my sleep like a flashback to 'Nam or something. What is it with drummers and cymbals? I'm probably gonna end up in prison for murdering our drummer with one of them.

Seriously, how do you get a drummer to stay off his beloved cymbals? He gets all sad and hurt when I tell him to stick to the snare and kick. I write in some spots where he can go nuts on those loud ass pieces of metal, but he cant resist throwing them in elsewhere too.

Our drummer has one cymbal and a high hat.  At open mics, we actually only use a suitcase bass, snare and a high hat.  Awesome.  

1 hour ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Maybe learn to shred louder? 

(Full disclosure: I'm a drummer and that three cymbal set-up is what I would consider a bare minimum for anything resembling rock, blues, etc.)

Edited by ohchaucer
Depending on venue/environment, I should say

24 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

Maybe learn to shred louder? 

(Full disclosure: I'm a drummer and that three cymbal set-up is what I would consider a bare minimum for anything resembling rock, blues, etc.)

This. High hat, ride, and crash. None of these are expendable in any respectable jam sesh.