The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

8 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Our drummer brought this to practice tonight, he's told me about it before.

He's a cabinet maker type carpenter by trade and is a trained luthier / guitar builder. He built this Les Paul cope from nothing, DougO approved type another. He may have mined the metals and felled the tree.

He shaped and finished the body. Carved the neck, hand cut the inlays into the fingerboard, etc. Literally from scratch save hardware. The P-90s are Seymore Duncan. I played it in practice for a while and not only can I say it played like butter, those P-90s fucking scream, that may be what goes in my other guitars. I was playing it into that Mesa I posted up thread.

1572758412d9eef0599b28b25799e7ff.jpg8a24807828904d6be6d015f8dafb5dd0.jpgced405a69f78fb83f1f3493f6f927642.jpg4a7c8d127c133fb97bec912da045015d.jpg52e8a2531c356fda4a7cf7639b242236.jpgff40b1160fbd1b4c0f7e9bdff26142c6.jpg348574e089231d488ffea9ee783d733c.jpg

Mad skillz...like the headstock fresh haircut variation.

• Like 2

My friend Rocky. I posted him up thread somewhere when I put that SG together for him. Last night he was borrowing a Telecaster from some band that was passing though town. His style is that he strums straight 8th notes, which made for quite a rock and roll scene when he cut his finger somehow during the show. I bet that band reconsiders loaning out guitars in the future.

ccc0b887675d999846df9441e62c58e0.jpga1ee34e75f84d83e6f88e4d285efc1dc.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

NGD for me yesterday. Bought one of these from a pawn shop. Like brand new. $175.

I don’t play bass. I don’t play anything.

c966c5ddaf7afa9f083044be005f8570.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sounds like the classic qualifications for becoming a bass player.

• Like 4

Personally, loud and fast Rock & Roll.

I posted upthread how awesome my R8 Les Paul with Custombuckers sounds and all my other Gibsons sound snively by comparison. I played that Les Paul with P90s i posted above that our drummer built. Honestly, both live at the time and listening to the recording playback, his guitar had every bit the balls as mine, but more articulate. I still love my R8 and would never change it, but that V is my weakest link sonically so it's the candidate. The SG holds it's own. I'm trying to figure out what pickups are in a 93 Explorerer, cause those have plenty of power too.

My soundcloud account is full. I'll post a comparison sometime if I find time or an easier way than YouTube to post.

Screaming is another good word. That's what I kept thinking playing, it just fucking screams. I knew they have plenty of crunch from laying that LP Jr I bought last year at home, but playing with bass and drums theyb re really shine. All the dirt and crunch of a good humbucker, but it cuts through like a clean Fender single coil.

Up, they have some raunch. Turned down, they play beautiful thick cleans. Neck pickup turned down is nice and woody, particularly one that has a more vintage output. High output P90’s really scream. They will make you smile.

I haven't had any particular itch to buy new guitar/gear, not really looking, but I'm getting this inkling that I'm going to end up buying something soon. I don't know why. Cabin fever maybe, or just the probability over time since the last time I got something.

Sounds like the classic qualifications for becoming a bass player.

Gotdammit.

I had an old EBO back in the day. Ballsy raunchy bass. I hope whomever stole it enjoyed it or at least pawned it and it found a good home.

As for P-90’s, you must own at least one guitar so equipped. If you’re adding after-markets, I highly recommend the Seymour Duncan P-100’s. They also make one that drops right into a ‘bucker slot. NRAA. No Routing At All.

19 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Instead of buying P93s to drop into the humbucker spot, I just found a place that makes a pickguard so you can mount the good old soap bars into a V with no routing.

Black or white?
bcafb71b06fc1e12086797c7d42b9257.jpg9aa134167d22172607f72f1f0124c965.jpg

black as they both sit. but if you could do off white p90s with matching tone knobs that would be sick

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 3:58 PM, Handcruser said:

NGD for me yesterday. Bought one of these from a pawn shop. Like brand new. $175.

I don’t play bass. I don’t play anything.

c966c5ddaf7afa9f083044be005f8570.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have my dads old Gibson one from the 70s. the neck broke back in the day and they glued it back on.  its playable but a hot mess.  its also a desk brown

https://www.tmz.com/2019/03/05/school-of-rock-kid-joey-gaydos-jr-4-felony-stolen-guitar-arrest/

<quote>Joey, who played lead guitarist Zack, in Jack Black's fictional school band, is facing felony charges in Florida for larceny and grand theft ... after cops busted him 4 times in the last 5 weeks for allegedly stealing guitars and an amplifier.</quote>

1 hour ago, Bogeywon said:

didn't they fuck everything up in 15? Gibson that is.  I contacted the seller and asked if he'd ship waiting to hear back

That one may be different and the reason it has the "Limited Edition" name along with it.  It doesn't have that stupid autotuner, nor the zero nut or the horrible signature on the headstock..or the hologram.  I would probably look up the serial number.  Like you, I thought all 2015's were fucked up, but they may have done this run.  If it is a 2015, that "Limited Edition" name is the reason.  Worth looking in to.  

Issued in Fall of 2014 for the 2015 model year.  The 2014 had the Anniversary Logo on the 12th fret.  Here is a good article.  

In 2015, Gibson committed the most basic blunder imaginable; they failed to realize that the average guitarist wants his guitars they way they were fifty and sixty years ago. Those are the people who, by and large, buy Gibsons.

http://www.guitarnoise.com/reviews/2015-gibson-guitars/

And on that 2014 Limited Edition.  I THINK, what he left out in the description was it is actually called Classic Light Limited Edition as in 'weight relief'.   They way around 7 lbs rather than 9.5 like a 2014 Traditional.    By that R7 if AUTF doesn't scoop it up.  

Edited by hullabelew