The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Just bought one of these:

eb169e274fa639601c8bf513edf689cf.jpg

With a gold Pickguard to look like this:

e54da4e5258b27eb448cb1dbb39885e1.jpg

Should be here Tuesday or Wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Alright. So I discovered I really prefer jazz necks. I sent that precision back and ordered:

0a532108f38fba6a0ec2f095eb0e2fb9.jpg

And also ordered this to tote around to my lessons:

0d5b404751bea92617f49be1f854d896.jpg

And returned my Behringer head for this:

027ccf7c41960529b89c9ca6deb6c7e4.jpg

The Ampeg head will mount on my portaflex cabinet and can be stored inside. A pretty cool feature (at least for me).

So far I’ve learned EADG and Big Cats Eat Fish. Probably going on tour soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

The color of today's stupid deal is not exactly my cup of tea.

The Gibson Les Paul HP II (that "HP" stands for High Performance) offers the next generation in versatility, aimed at guitarists with exacting taste in sound and playability. Performance oriented features, from the soloist-width neck to the adjustable titanium nut ensure fast, sure, in-tune fretting. The innovative electronics, featuring ... Read More about Gibson 2018 Les Paul Standard HP-II Electric Guitar Hot Pink Fade
Was:  Regular Price  $2,959.00 Savings:  Your Savings $1,560.00 Your Price $1,399.00

L18163000004000-00-500x500.jpg

Deals done

Yeah, that deal had zero chance of lasting the time limit. 

That HP-II was only different from the HPs by having ditched the Tronical tuners, the rest of the guitar is everything Gibson knows about making guitars wrapped up in a modern appearance package (and HP-II's hit the market at $3500 street, not the $3000 MF had stated there). The other deals posted in this thread are good deals, that HP-II one was near robbery. I was scrambling to try and make that work, and I'm not big on that particular fade, but that deal was just too good, the color be damned.

But that year Les Paul may go down as the least collectible model year ever, they sold that poorly (hence the market-wide clearances - though none have been as dramatic as that SDofD). However, at that price (MF even followed it up with a Studio HP for the same price, and that's STILL a good deal and that guitar is at least 3 tiers below the LP HP-II!), you'd make money if you ever wanted to sell it, ever.

The CASE that guitar comes in will set you back $600 by itself. Stupid deal, indeed.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BoomMF said:

Yeah, that deal had zero chance of lasting the time limit. 

That HP-II was only different from the HPs by having ditched the Tronical tuners, the rest of the guitar is everything Gibson knows about making guitars wrapped up in a modern appearance package (and HP-II's hit the market at $3500 street, not the $3000 MF had stated there). The other deals posted in this thread are good deals, that HP-II one was near robbery. I was scrambling to try and make that work, and I'm not big on that particular fade, but that deal was just too good, the color be damned.

But that year Les Paul may go down as the least collectible model year ever, they sold that poorly (hence the market-wide clearances - though none have been as dramatic as that SDofD). However, at that price (MF even followed it up with a Studio HP for the same price, and that's STILL a good deal and that guitar is at least 3 tiers below the LP HP-II!), you'd make money if you ever wanted to sell it, ever.

The CASE that guitar comes in will set you back $600 by itself. Stupid deal, indeed.

I had the money ready to go. I was at GC with my debt card trying to find something that called to me but nothing did. My local GC sucks though 

12 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

Makes me want a tele. What’s that color? Butterscotch? Also what kinda tele new/used can you get for $900?

The American Performer tele I just bought was $1099. I'm very happy with it. Kind of a mash-up of old and new features. It doesn't come in butterscotch though. 

No sales tax and free shipping with Sweetwater. 

You can get a Fender Road Worn in Butterscotch for about $900, nitro finish, case included. Highly regarded guitars. But some don't like the relic thing, although it's very lightly done on the new ones. 

For about $800, you can get a 50's Baja in Butterscotch. Might be the best Tele for the money Fender makes. Love mine. Nice fat neck, if you're into that. 

4 minutes ago, Deej said:

You can get a Fender Road Worn in Butterscotch for about $900, nitro finish, case included. Highly regarded guitars. But some don't like the relic thing, although it's very lightly done on the new ones. 

For about $800, you can get a 50's Baja in Butterscotch. Might be the best Tele for the money Fender makes. Love mine. Nice fat neck, if you're into that. 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleAPEHRSG--fender-american-performer-telecaster-hum-satin-surf-green-with-rosewood-fingerboard

I love road worn. I may be one of the few that like relics.  above is one I found. I dig that green.  can you send me a link for the butterscotch relic? wouldn't mind taking a look at one

2 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleAPEHRSG--fender-american-performer-telecaster-hum-satin-surf-green-with-rosewood-fingerboard

I love road worn. I may be one of the few that like relics.  above is one I found. I dig that green.  can you send me a link for the butterscotch relic? wouldn't mind taking a look at one

They are consistently the highest selling premium models Fender produces, so there might be more that like relics than don't.

40 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

The one time I played a relic, I wasn't a huge fan of the relic'd neck-- it looked like it should have felt differently than it did and to me that's just somehow distracting. I feel like I know what maple and rosewood feel like. The relic'd maple neck felt weird somehow.

That's the one part of a relic job that even non-relic fans will do to their guitars - sand the neck. 

Coincidentally, and the reason why that Gibson HP-II SDofD was the worst timed deal and what will no doubt be a life-long regret I will have to bear, I'm talking with the dude over at Wild West about this guitar I was eyeing since seeing it in his shop a month or so ago. He won't move much on it, but I'm warming up to the idea that he won't have to.

https://reverb.com/item/3227181-fender-custom-shop-1960-stratocaster-heavy-relic-rosewood-slab-board-olympic-white

And the neck feels like warm apple pie.

Edited by BoomMF
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, BoomMF said:

That's the one part of a relic job that even non-relic fans will do to their guitars - sand the neck. 

Coincidentally, and the reason why that Gibson HP-II SDofD was the worst timed deal and what will no doubt be a life-long regret I will have to bear, I'm talking with the dude over at Wild West about this guitar I was eyeing since seeing it in his shop a month or so ago. He won't move much on it, but I'm warming up to the idea that he won't have to.

https://reverb.com/item/3227181-fender-custom-shop-1960-stratocaster-heavy-relic-rosewood-slab-board-olympic-white

And the neck feels like warm apple pie.

...can almost feel that neck from the pics.