The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I've always wanted a MIJ Strat

I’m a big proponent of those from the 80s. I had a friend buy a LPB MIJ Strat around 88. It was his first real guitar. He still has it because it’s still a great guitar, even though he now has a bunch of vintage guitars to go with. Great look, feel and sound.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

You've got at least one guitar I'd trade this for.

Bro I'm not letting go of my 80s Hohner acoustic

Just now, Chad Fuck said:

I’m a big proponent of those from the 80s. I had a friend buy a LPB MIJ Strat around 88. It was his first real guitar. He still has it because it’s still a great guitar, even though he now has a bunch of vintage guitars to go with. Great look, feel and sound.

Totally. LPB is the color too

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Goredho said:

1989 made in Japan hard tail strat with a motivated seller.  The pickguard and pickups are not original.  Has some fender custom shop pups in it that I can’t fully identify.  It’s been knocked around a bit and has an all natural relic job but the neck/frets are in good shape.  Plays and sounds great.  Deciding if I want to keep it for awhile or just re-list on reverb.  If I keep it, I’ll probably swap the pickguard and knobs for parchment.

In 1985 or so I went into a music store that was going out of business and used $225 that had saved from cutting grass to buy a brand new sunburst MIJ E-Serial Number Strat. I had no idea how to play guitar at that point nor what it was I was buying. I just thought it looked good. 
I hauled that guitar around with me for the next thirty years. It was beautiful and really well made. The neck and rosewood board was perfect.  I think it was called something like a Contemporary Strat. 
When I finally learned how to play I ended up getting rid of it because it had a locking string thing above the nut and one of those 1980 dive bomber trem/bridge things that screamed hair metal. 
But, the quality of that guitar was great in every respect and would buy another one from that period with a traditional set up in a heartbeat. 

Edited by CTC2
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

In 1985 or so I went into a music store that was going out of business and used $225 that had saved from cutting grass to buy a brand new sunburst MIJ E-Serial Number Strat. I had no idea how to play guitar at that point nor what it was I was buying. I just thought it looked good. 
I hauled that guitar around with me for the next thirty years. It was beautiful and really well made. The neck and rosewood board was perfect.  I think it was called something like a Contemporary Strat. 
When I finally learned how to play I ended up getting rid of it because it had a locking string thing above the nut and one of those 1980 dive bomber trem/bridge things that screamed hair metal. 
But, the quality of that guitar was great in every respect and would buy another one from that period with a traditional set up in a heartbeat. 

Yeah, this is an E-series, no crazy (or any tremolo).  I'm 99% sure its a 7.25" radius.  Gonna take it apart today and see what else I can learn about it.

12 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, my first (new) guitar was a MIJ Fender Strat I bought at Ray Henning's.  Blue sparkle with a maple neck.  That was a damn good guitar.  I eventually gave it to a buddy of mine, he still has it (and it's now in Australia).

If it is Keith Urban you should get him to post here

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Went ahead and ordered a new fender style bridge and a pre-wired pickguard with Fender 57/62 pups.  I’m not enamored with whatever custom shop pups are in this. Should get it much closer to what an all original ST-462 would look/sound like.

IMG_4357.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

so I love the spark. I did end up just getting yet one more set of headphones - some audio-technica ones, whatever the standard ath studio homies. There had been a minute where I was really loving playing through my matchless while listening to music on my airpod maxes with transparent mode on (so you can hear everything around you), this is a much better quieter version of that letting me play along with youtube. I should really be fucking around with all of the different stuff but if I'm being real, I've been using the DC30 channel and playing along with the same "live from alabama" isbell tracks that I love playing. It's nice. The whole amp seems a little dark, especially if you use the built in speakers, but that is manageable. Any tips and tricks I should be playing with? I like the Vox AC30 model too and have played a bit with the classic jtm marshall amp for high gain rock stuff. It seems like spotify is supposed to connect to the app but I can only get it to pull up playlists that I've already built - would be cool to just jam along with spotify tracks without doing that kind of prep.

I assume I can record out of this thing directly somehow, I need to figure that out. I don't know if I'll get anything written this month for the songwriter thing (I can steal 20 minutes a night but it's spotty) but I feel like this would be what I'd use for now rather than hauling my acoustic upstairs and recording stuff while everyone sleeps.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Went ahead and ordered a new fender style bridge and a pre-wired pickguard with Fender 57/62 pups.  I’m not enamored with whatever custom shop pups are in this. Should get it much closer to what an all original ST-462 would look/sound like.

IMG_4357.jpeg

I've got the 57/62 set in the Shoreline Gold  Classic Player's strat. They are great pickups. 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

so I love the spark. I did end up just getting yet one more set of headphones - some audio-technica ones, whatever the standard ath studio homies. There had been a minute where I was really loving playing through my matchless while listening to music on my airpod maxes with transparent mode on (so you can hear everything around you), this is a much better quieter version of that letting me play along with youtube. I should really be fucking around with all of the different stuff but if I'm being real, I've been using the DC30 channel and playing along with the same "live from alabama" isbell tracks that I love playing. It's nice. The whole amp seems a little dark, especially if you use the built in speakers, but that is manageable. Any tips and tricks I should be playing with? I like the Vox AC30 model too and have played a bit with the classic jtm marshall amp for high gain rock stuff. It seems like spotify is supposed to connect to the app but I can only get it to pull up playlists that I've already built - would be cool to just jam along with spotify tracks without doing that kind of prep.

I assume I can record out of this thing directly somehow, I need to figure that out. I don't know if I'll get anything written this month for the songwriter thing (I can steal 20 minutes a night but it's spotty) but I feel like this would be what I'd use for now rather than hauling my acoustic upstairs and recording stuff while everyone sleeps.

I’ve recorded with the spark, you pretty much just run a USB cable from it to your computer and then set the spark as the input device in the computer.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

6 minutes ago, G650 said:

Yeah, it definitely is. I prefer it through headphones.

I recorded this solely with a Spark (drums excepted).  So Guitar or Bass into the spark then USB to my computer with the Spark working as the analog/digital converter and input interface for the computer.  So it's all just factory Spark presets for guitar or bass. I think I was still using Garage Band here as a DAW.  It's a completely workable DI recording solution.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Prepare your anus 1

3 hours ago, Deej said:

$1500 for the 10 inch, 7-watt? Out. 

True, but $1800 for the 12 watt version with onboard tube reverb and tremolo might work.  More power if one selects the 6L6 tubes (as opposed to 6V6).  I wonder how much different they sound.

18 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Gibson back in the amp business

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/amps

Those sound really good.  I had a chance to pick up a 1960s Falcon back in the 90s for about $300 and passed on it.  But it sure was fun to play.  Last time I looked, you could still get them for under $1,000.  So $1,800 for a reissue sounds like Gibson has been huffing the nitrocellulose.

Also, nothing seems to age quite as badly as those old Gibson amps.  

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, dcbc said:

You mean the serial number? 

You probably know this, but on the Serial . . . 

E = Eighty Next number is 9  = 1989

Yeah, series is probably not a great term, but people tend to classify MIJ Strats by that letter at the start of the serial number.

3 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Yeah, series is probably not a great term, but people tend to classify MIJ Strats by that letter at the start of the serial number.

I'm not very familiar with the MIJ stuff.  My kid has a MIJ 52 Tele (pretty sure it's not an 80s model though).  The MIJ reissues in the 80s were what Fender America set as the standard when they started production up again in 86.  The notion was that if we can't build them better than the Japanese historics, we shouldn't sell them.  Some of the finest American Fenders were the 1987-early 1990 American Standards.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, dcbc said:

I'm not very familiar with the MIJ stuff.  My kid has a MIJ 52 Tele.  The MIJ reissues were what Fender America set as the standard when they started production up again in 86.  The notion was that if we can't build them better than the Japanese historics, we shouldn't sell them.  Some of the finest American Fenders were the 1987-early 1990 American Standards.

They still make great stuff.  I had a 62 RI Fender Jazz bass that was my go-to play out bass until I could afford to trade up.  I bought it off eBay from a guy who imported the ones made for sale in Japan.  Wound up selling it to a guy for his church band.  It stood up with any of the American made models.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Chad Fuck said:

They still make great stuff.  I had a 62 RI Fender Jazz bass that was my go-to play out bass until I could afford to trade up.  I bought it off eBay from a guy who imported the ones made for sale in Japan.  Wound up selling it to a guy for his church band.  It stood up with any of the American made models.  

Yeah, I really like the way his MIJ 52 tele plays.  It's got a humbucker in the neck too, which is pretty cool.  C shaped neck on it though, which isn't necessarily the worst thing, albeit inauthentic to the "year"

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I'm not very familiar with the MIJ stuff.  My kid has a MIJ 52 Tele (pretty sure it's not an 80s model though).  The MIJ reissues in the 80s were what Fender America set as the standard when they started production up again in 86.  The notion was that if we can't build them better than the Japanese historics, we shouldn't sell them.  Some of the finest American Fenders were the 1987-early 1990 American Standards.

I know the Fullerton AVRI strats from the early-mid 80s are pretty valuable/collectable now.  I think they go from $2K to $4k depending on condition and if its a 57 or 62 year reissue.  I know a lot of people try to piggy back that with the later 80s AVRIs and like to claim "the neck was carved in the Fullerton plant before assembly in the Corona plant!" or some such.  I played an 1984 '62 AVRI from the Fullerton factory at Austin Vintage Guitars and it was nice, but the 1993 '57 AVRI from the Corona plant they had played better to me and was $2000 cheaper.  I'm guessing its roughly equivalent to a late 80s strat made at the same factory.  Anyway, I bought it and it's a guitar I will own and cherish forever.*

* "Forever" limited to ~2 weeks

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I know the Fullerton AVRI strats from the early-mid 80s are pretty valuable/collectable now.  I think they go from $2K to $4k depending on condition and if its a 57 or 62 year reissue.  I know a lot of people try to piggy back that with the later 80s AVRIs and like to claim "the neck was carved in the Fullerton plant before assembly in the Corona plant!" or some such.  I played an 1984 '62 AVRI from the Fullerton factory at Austin Vintage Guitars and it was nice, but the 1993 '57 AVRI from the Corona plant they had played better to me and was $2000 cheaper.  I'm guessing its roughly equivalent to a late 80s strat made at the same factory.  Anyway, I bought it and it's a guitar I will own and cherish forever.*
Hands down the beat Strat I've ever played is my friends AVRI from the early 90's, maybe late 80's. We have a gentlemen agreement that I'm gonna buy it from him that's been standing for years now.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Goredho said:

Those AVRIs seem to really be in demand.  The American Standards I'm talking about are the ones they made before the Corona plant went online.  Only about 500 of each color, hand picked woods, a lot of care in the process.  And it shows.  My son's 1989 Strat feels really special and plays extremely well.  My 1990 (early serial number N_9 anomaly) telecaster remains my #1 despite my acquisition of two AV teles (52 & 64).  The pickups are really special.

• Hook 'Em 1

I wish I could remember what song we were recording at the treefort when we brought these out

2011-10-23_11-30-08_667_Original.thumb.jpeg.a7c74f4a6a27b27e9c416a390eb53636.jpeg

Bright as hell and super cool sounding was my recollection. 

i also have a 98 American Standard. I’ve never felt like I’ve needed another strat, or at least another sss strat.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, dcbc said:

Those AVRIs seem to really be in demand.  The American Standards I'm talking about are the ones they made before the Corona plant went online.  Only about 500 of each color, hand picked woods, a lot of care in the process.  And it shows.  My son's 1989 Strat feels really special and plays extremely well.  My 1990 (early serial number N_9 anomaly) telecaster remains my #1 despite my acquisition of two AV teles (52 & 64).  The pickups are really special.

Yeah, my 88 Tele has amazing pickups.

• Hook 'Em 1

SIAP

Emerald City guitars met with the wife of a husband/wife duo of Gibson Kalamazoo factory workers, who worked there basically forever until it closed.  When it did, they took a ton of stuff home to add to the guitars they had taken home over the decades.  150 guitars in all being unveiled gradually.  Worth a follow just to see what sort of crazy, virtually, untouched, time-capsule Gibsons are going to hit the market.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C14-Pi7vmZj/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=e221a5d9-3f74-477b-bc52-aba20c61a4ec  

"REPOST @trevorb00ne / Been keeping this under wraps for months and finally get to dig into this story! What spawned from casual conversation over a couple years at my neighborhood coffee spot turned into the craziest “Guitar Safari” I could dream of..We are releasing a video soon on our YouTube channel of the whole ordeal but here’s the readers digest version: Early October I flew to Kalamazoo, MI and spent 3 days with the amazing Jaci Friar. Jaci and her husband Hubie met on the Gibson bowling team in 1959 and worked at Gibson until the factory shut up. They were some of the longest employees at Gibson and lived only blocks away their whole life. Jaci, at 82 years old is still sharp as a tack smoking the same Marb 100’s she has been since we 14. In the basement of this 100+ year old house Jaci and Hubie had 150+ new old stock Gibsons that they took home while employeed and also cleared out the factory when it shut down in early 80’s. They kept EVERYTHING. Employee records, signs, original tools, benches, case candy, hang tags, prototypes, never before seen models, expiremental instruments.. EVERYTHING. We loaded a 36 foot box truck up and sent it nonstop back to Seattle. It was such a special few days hearing stories from Jaci while walking around her property and I’m so grateful for her trust in this and being able to share her and Hubie’s amazing story honoring their important legacy at Gibson. Along with the video coming soon we’ll be unveiling a few things a day and some of the back story etc on @ecguitars … We were able to show Jaci the store over the holidays and it was the coolest! As she walked around the showcase of 50’s and 60’s Gibsons she pointed out what she was working on at the time (frets, finish, amps, pickups, etc) you name it she did it. We redid @tyler_ecg shop with the original bench & tools used in the factory and items honoring Jaci and Hubie. It was an emotional full circle experience and one I will treasure forever. Stay tuned for a lot more comin out on this!"

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2