The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

I’ll just leave this here for some SG/tone pron

it's so funny when things just pop up over and over again - I recently saw a video of t-pain doing a surprisingly good job at War Pigs, and then heard it on a rewatch of Fargo season 2 last night and thought "I should learn this".

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Ok this is exactly what I do. I’m just not nearly as good at fingerstyle (I mean, or flatpicking).

That’s a carry over from playing guitar while sitting at a computer for hours, when I’d type with a pick in my fingers.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Ok this is exactly what I do. I’m just not nearly as good at fingerstyle (I mean, it flatpicking).

That’s a carry over from playing guitar while sitting at a computer for hours, when I’d type with a pick in my fingers.

How’s your Portuguese?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

IMG_6589.thumb.jpeg.bbc2d0310f82ee8570ce59b22061aaa5.jpeg

needed a new tuner cause I'm not taking the turbotuner off of my pedalboard and I'm tired of fucking around with snarks and the crappy spark tuning app to get it dialed in on the other side. I still have such a band geek soft spot for peterson.

i also dropped off a bunch of my guitars to get worked on and they're ready to be picked up. but we have covid and it's making things difficult to go pick them up. i want to play with them.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Well, I firmly believe that the difference between +\- 1 cent and +\-0.1 cents in a tuner is noticeable and important, and I also really like strobe tuners. Even if they are fidgety, I like how quickly the reading updates and that it is displayed in a more analog form. I’m specifically tired of sitting on one side of my office and deciding which side of the theoretical 1 cent the G string is sitting on.

Anyways, not everyone feels the same way and if, for example, you went looking for opinions from the teenagers on Reddit you’d probably find that a little korg is all you need. But my starting point for “not a cheap clip on” is high accuracy strobe. This is my third physical Peterson and I also have the tuner app, which was a good deal at $20 or whatever a decade ago. I had a handheld unit before they even made the stomp box, I bought the original strobostomp and gigged with it bouncing around in my case for years until the plastic jacks physically broke. And then I bought a turbo tuner (https://www.turbo-tuner.com) because… the internet liked them and I think maybe Peterson briefly didn’t make a stomp pedal. It is fast and accurate but kinda low tech display and it is difficult to read in direct sunlight.

Given the cost of the various higher end tuning pedals ($100 for the veritable boss), I would definitely recommend Peterson. It seemed like the cheaper/smaller footprint version of the pedal was only missing some of the extended “sweetened tuning” library type features in comparison with the full size box, and it is $120. Obviously I haven’t had this one long enough to speak to durability, but it seems solid. I’m trying the guitar sweetened tuning, which I’ve never done but I’ll see how I feel. I do like that this tuner lets you change the accidentals - every tuner displays sharps and finally I have one showing me Eb. I think the…. Poly tuner and the canvas tuner are other boxes to look at. And the boss, to be fair.

This one is a silly gold anniversary edition btw, pretty much identical to the HD version.

One of the guitars I’m getting cleaned up is my PRS. Which is also the most stable and surgical guitar I have - I’m going to play with the temperament settings a little bit when I get it back and see what I think.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I’m trying the guitar sweetened tuning,

Elaborate?  Is this like a slightly different temperament?  I almost always tweak my "in tune" guitars to sing better with certain chords (open G, etc.).  Am I "sweetening" it or is that something else?

Gen 1 50 watt Katana and Boss FS-6 switch pedal…. $125 if I’m trying to get rid of it locally? 150? Maybe I should unbundle but I don’t think I have any use for a boss switch pedal, and maybe Facebook marketplace is better but I’d pay $30 to not deal with a Craigslist idiot.

looks like a new mk ii katana is 270

On 2/9/2024 at 9:33 PM, Celery Man said:

I still have such a band geek soft spot for peterson.

Side bets on what band instrument Celery played?

I played alto sax.  Hard to get less cool than that.  The fucking oboe section was kicking my backpack down the hall.  

• Fuck Around and Find Out 2

15 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Trombone players are dorks and dweebs. Nailed it with the horn.

Me too on French horn.  Actually had a full ride to Michigan, but I figured my odds were greater than 50% I'd end up teaching middle school band.  Fuck that.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Prepare your anus 1

There used to be this super cool store on 35th Street called Radio Ranch.  They had a lot of old scientific artifacts like chemistry lab equipment from the 50's, a super old x-ray machine with giant knobs, etc.  Anyway, they had a beat-up old horn there that I bought for like $50.

Turned out it was a marching mellophone, which I guess is a straightened-out French horn.  

It was very hard to play... much harder than a trumpet, I think.  I sounded horrid.  

I have had other equally unsuccessful "pretty sure I can play this instrument" adventures.  

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Were Crossmen still back east at the time or had they moved to Texas by then?  (Can't remember if it was San Antonio or Austin.)

This would have been… 2002 I think and they were still in Jersey. Joint tryouts for the Cadets and Crossmen.

i played that Mozart horn concerto (….#4?) and can still kinda do Tiger of San Pedro.

Edited by Celery Man

30 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

i played that Mozart horn concerto (….#4?) 

Yeah, I played that one.  #2 as well, I think.  My state solo was Strauss, and the judge was the professor at Michigan.  Came out afterward and offered me on the spot.  I felt like a football player.  (I might be a little on the small side, though.)

French horn is a beating.

2 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

I think maybe when you pick a band instrument in 6th grade, the worse your decision, the more likely you'll own a Les Paul at some point.  

Very impressive on the Michigan scholarship, jimmyjazz.  

I picked cornet.  Quit after 3 weeks.  Principal called me to the office asking why I quit.  "I also play guitar.  It's a TON more fun."   He said, "As long as you're doing something musical."  All of these years later, out of the 30 of us, only me and one of the chicks playing drums are still playing.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Oh they've just been at a local luthier/tech. I've got a laundry list of guitar problems, and just knocked out a bunch of them finally.

The '72 thinline was dropped on stage like 15 years ago and it's been kinda fucked up since then, particularly the jack. He fixed that, and cleaned everything off. And I just finally swapped the ugly black dunlop straplocs that I bought when I was 16 off of it and put some regular fender vintage strap buttons on it.

The OOO15M at some point got out of whack, I think possibly with the move from Austin to NC. The neck was a bowed - it was still playable but the action was crazy high once you got even a bit up the neck. Fixed that, set it up, etc

The J45 has always had intonation problems. He fixed that and set it up.

And the PRS honestly has always been perfect. And so I've never done a thing to it. It just had some nasty oxidization and grossness on the pickups and the frets were really nasty. Green. He cleaned it up.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Me too on French horn.  Actually had a full ride to Michigan, but I figured my odds were greater than 50% I'd end up teaching middle school band.  Fuck that.

In 5th grade, I was in Beginning Band.

1) Had a friend who was doing French Horn AND his left hand was in a soft cast from surgery or breaking it… ??

Anyway, it was a perfect mute cone that he had for the first 3 months of school, or so.

2) We spent more time listening to the teacher’s repetitive lecture than we did practicing.

Band Master Mario Foster’s favorite sayings:

A) “You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink.”

B) “You hear me, but you do not listen.”

C) “[Random Student]! If you don’t stop talking, I’m going to plant my foot so far up your ass that we’re going to have to go to Nurse Eichenwald’s office to have it removed!”

I was snare drum and we were in the back of the room. We spent so much time listening to him rant that I frequently did homework for the next class because the snare was a desk and the music stand was a blinder. 

Edited by Napoleon

6 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Oh they've just been at a local luthier/tech. I've got a laundry list of guitar problems, and just knocked out a bunch of them finally.

The '72 thinline was dropped on stage like 15 years ago and it's been kinda fucked up since then, particularly the jack. He fixed that, and cleaned everything off. And I just finally swapped the ugly black dunlop straplocs that I bought when I was 16 off of it and put some regular fender vintage strap buttons on it.

The OOO15M at some point got out of whack, I think possibly with the move from Austinto NC. The neck was a bowed - it was still playable but the action was crazy high once you got even a bit up the neck. Fixed that, set it up, etc

The J45 has always had intonation problems. He fixed that and set it up.

And the PRS honestly has always been perfect. And so I've never done a thing to it. It just had some nasty oxidization and grossness on the pickups and the frets were really nasty. Green. He cleaned it up.

Tell me more about the gibson.  What was the problem, and what was the solution?

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Tell me more about the gibson.  What was the problem, and what was the solution?

Gibbon has always just been really tough to tune. Tuning the open strings to pitch always sounded wonky with much movement at all, and forget capoing or otherwise moving up the neck without retuning. Which, to me seems like basic intonation problems.

i honestly don’t know how you intonate and adjust action on an acoustic, but that was the fix - intonate, action, and relief.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Gibbon has always just been really tough to tune. Tuning the open strings to pitch always sounded wonky with much movement at all, and forget capoing or otherwise moving up the neck without retuning. Which, to me seems like basic intonation problems.

i honestly don’t know how you intonate and adjust action on an acoustic, but that was the fix - intonate, action, and relief.

what year is that 45?