Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

7 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I'm cross posting this from the Fedora thread because I think it's relevant to recruiting. 

Total speculation but I wouldn't be shocked if Drayton is gone. His twitter has been completely dead for over 2 weeks now. He's not following recruits, he's not tweeting anything, he's not liking anything. 

Hand has also been following a lot of RB recruits like he's taking over that recruiting effort. Hand has been following a bunch of RB recruits this morning which is interesting combined with the lack of activity from Drayton.  

The lack of activity from Drayton is odd if he's staying on staff. 

Making room for Beatty would be my guess if that happened

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I'm cross posting this from the Fedora thread because I think it's relevant to recruiting. 

Total speculation but I wouldn't be shocked if Drayton is gone. His twitter has been completely dead for over 2 weeks now. He's not following recruits, he's not tweeting anything, he's not liking anything. 

Hand has also been following a lot of RB recruits like he's taking over that recruiting effort. Hand has been following a bunch of RB recruits this morning which is interesting combined with the lack of activity from Drayton.  

Interesting theory. It’s possible. 

IT on Jahari Rogers

JAHARI ROGERS

"One of the best visits I've been on." 

That was the money quote from Arlington High's 6-foot, 170-pound, 2020 three-star athlete and recent Texas offer. He made the trip to Austin on Sunday and came away thoroughly impressed.

"The coaching staff was great, and enjoyed the entire experience," said Rogers. "Of all the visits I've been on, this is one of the top ones. The stuff we did, the stuff we seen, the stuff the coaches talk about was wonderful. (Texas) is going up. Coach Washington is an exciting guy, off the wall every time I speak with him. It's crazy how well he develops players going to the league. That's what kind of coach I want to coach me. He really sees the bigger picture with his players."

Oklahoma, LSU, Florida, and Baylor are a few campuses Rogers has already tripped to, with 20+ offers, including LSU, OU, Florida, TCU, Louisville, and UCF.

How would Texas use the dynamic speedster?

"Really, I'm an athlete," Rogers explained. "They'll use me best on the defensive side at DB. (Texas) likes my speed, they like my length, and they said they can use me is a positive way on special teams as well. That's something I highly view myself has too, a great special teams player. That was an eye-opener too."

When Rogers got his UT offer recently, it caught his attention. But seeing the 40 Acres blew his mind.

"This visit was amazing," said Rogers. "They skyrocketed today and are one of the most known schools. A lot of my family and friends were excited, even crazy, when UT offered. (Texas) is definitely a Top 5 school on my list. And I haven't made one yet, but they'll be there."

He'll see TCU soon, narrow his list in the next few months, and hit the Under Armour and Opening regional camps, but right now, he's basically seen the schools he wanted to see. He'd like to commit before the start of his senior year and hopes to return to Austin this spring or summer.

8 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

to be fair, he has exactly 13 total tweets since the Maryland game (4 of them are his tweets, the rest are RTs)

since 1/1/19 he has 3 total tweets (1/1, 1/2 and 2/3) 

the lack of tweets isn't exactly out of character

I get what you are saying, but he hasn't ever been a super active tweet-er 

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

What about the DE from Pleasant Grove who we just had in?  He was 6-5 as a freshman, I think he is 6-7 now, and IIRC, @markstanco was saying his dad is even taller.

Yeah, I think conventional wisdom is that 6’8”, maybe 6’9”, is where height goes from being beneficial to detrimental in football. It’s just hard to protect knees. I guess a kid who’s athletic enough and strong enough in his lower body could be successful. He’s just an injury away from sacrificing a potential basketball career. 

• Like 1

Just now, NoName said:

to be fair, he has exactly 13 total tweets since the Maryland game (4 of them are his tweets, the rest are RTs)

since 1/1/19 he has 3 total tweets (1/1, 1/2 and 2/3) 

the lack of tweets isn't exactly out of character

I get what you are saying, but he hasn't ever been a super active tweet-er 

He's not as active as other coaches but there's normally something that tells me he's alive. Such as liking tweets of recruits or following recruits. His twitter has been dead for over 2 weeks on all levels (follows, likes and tweets). 

When Hand is following 10 RB recruits this morning and absolutely nothing is happening with Drayton it's odd. 

Drayton is the "assistant head coach" so not sure what his value is if coaches like Hand are the ones doing his job. 

7 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

He's not as active as other coaches but there's normally something that tells me he's alive. Such as liking tweets of recruits or following recruits. His twitter has been dead for over 2 weeks on all levels (follows, likes and tweets). 

When Hand is following 10 RB recruits this morning and absolutely nothing is happening with Drayton it's odd. 

Drayton is the "assistant head coach" so not sure what his value is if coaches like Hand are the ones doing his job. 

fair on the likes, etc -  just didn't want it to seem like Drayton went from EJ tweeting about everything that happens in his life to dead overnight!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Only way I see Drayton leaving at this point in the year is for the NFL.

I could be wrong here but Drayton might be someone Herman would be willing to fire. 

Guys like Warehime and Mehringer seem to be in the "friend" category and Drayton just seems like a guy Herman worked with at Ohio State. I don't get the vibe that Drayton is one of Herman's buddies like Warehime and Mehringer.  

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

I could be wrong here but Drayton might be someone Herman would be willing to fire. 

Guys like Warehime and Mehringer seem to be in the "friend" category and Drayton just seems like a guy Herman worked with at Ohio State. I don't get the vibe that Drayton is one of Herman's buddies like Warehime and Mehringer.  

Herman already came out and said he's planning on renewing the contracts (the ones that expire this year) of his assistants. If Drayton gets the boot, it will be because he "found a better opportunity". At this point, the only place that might be is the NFL, because no high-level college HC or OC jobs are likely to be available to him now.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Herman already came out and said he's planning on renewing the contracts (the ones that expire this year) of his assistants..

Yeah, I know. I also don't believe everything Herman tells the media. Do you think he's going to say "I'm in the process of looking at coaching changes and replacements"?

This from the coach that wouldn't even give a clear answer on who was calling plays. Herman keeps this shit close to the vest. So until a change actually happens he isn't leaking it to keep the perception that everything is fine. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

Yeah, I know. I also don't believe everything Herman tells the media. Do you think he's going to say "I'm in the process of looking at coaching changes and replacements"?

This from the coach that wouldn't even give a clear answer on who was calling plays? Herman keeps this shit close to the vest. So until a change actually happens he isn't leaking it to keep the perception that everything is fine. 

I don't buy all of Herman's public comments either. However, we have ample evidence that Herman isn't going to let someone go without them finding a landing spot.

The fact that Drayton interviewed for the Akron HC job tells me that Herman is perfectly fine with him moving on, but he isn't going to outright fire someone.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Herman already came out and said he's planning on renewing the contracts (the ones that expire this year) of his assistants. If Drayton gets the boot, it will be because he "found a better opportunity". At this point, the only place that might be is the NFL, because no high-level college HC or OC jobs are likely to be available to him now.

I could have swore there was a video way back when Herman was first hired talking about his staff and him having really glowing things to say about Drayton, like he trusted Drayton more than anyone on his staff. I remember him really praising both him and Yancy.

Edited by Bruh Man

Regardless of what happens, it's looking like Hand is the point man now for RB recruiting. He's following RBs across the country. Most of his follows have been OL focused until recently.

If Hand isn't the guy leading the charge he's definitely assisting Drayton.  Looks like Herman realized the obvious and knew he needed to do something about RB recruiting. 

Edited by texasstrong12

10 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Regardless of what happens, it's looking like Hand is the point man now for RB recruiting. He's following RBs across the country. Most of his follows have been OL focused until recently.

If Hand isn't the guy leading the charge he's definitely assisting Drayton.  Looks like Herman realized the obvious and knew he needed to do something about RB recruiting. 

I'm not touching this one until closetojumping weighs in. 

Drayton is a NFL coach who is coaching college ball for reasons unbeknownst to me. 

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Re: Beaty, Horns247 is saying there's a holdup with his contract at KU. Of course this is coming from Chip Brown so grain of salt and all that.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-look-to-hire-Larry-Fedora-David-Beaty-129149214/

He trying to sabotage us again?

15 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Re: Beaty, Horns247 is saying there's a holdup with his contract at KU. Of course this is coming from Chip Brown so grain of salt and all that.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-look-to-hire-Larry-Fedora-David-Beaty-129149214/

Anwar is saying the same thing.

Edited by TexasFan21

4 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Honest question: Who has Drayton recruited for his position that's worth a shit other than Ingram? Am I missing something? He seems to get more credit than he deserves from a lot of posters. 

Honest question: how many posters do you see on here giving him a ton of credit?

1 minute ago, Plorant said:

Derrian Brown.  The guy you couldn't stop talking about.

Luuuuuuuuuulz. @Spider2YBanana I honestly have no clue how you missed this one.

16 minutes ago, Machinator said:

to be fair, he was generally correct on data coming from within the AD's office (this was pre CDC though)

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Honest question: how many posters do you see on here giving him a ton of credit?

Luuuuuuuuuulz. @Spider2YBanana I honestly have no clue how you missed this one.

Lol. I don't either, actually. I'm just more concerned that he's not landing more than one running back considering Porter and Houston suck shit through a straw, and Young can't hold on to the ball. Oh, and Carter is gone, too. 

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

And yet he's not here so we won't know how he turns out. One running back, and another who probably won't make it to campus. Don't you think maybe he should be recruiting others? 

Yeah, Drayton should have ID'd a fucking future aneurysm. Real failure of evaluation, that.

(In all seriousness, Drayton's not particularly well-liked on this board. And Washington did most of the recruiting in Georgia it sounds like)

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Honest question: Who has Drayton recruited for his position that's worth a shit other than Ingram? Am I missing something? He seems to get more credit than he deserves from a lot of posters. 

My 30,000 foot view is that Drayton helps Herman with behind the scenes administrative duties. However, this isn't what most RB coaches typically do. Most RB Coaches are volume recruiters. 

And yet he's not here so we won't know how he turns out. One running back, and another who probably won't make it to campus. Don't you think maybe he should be recruiting others? 

So you’re asking who a coach that’s been here 2 years has recruited that’s had a large impact on the field? You’re naturally going to get a short list for just about every coach on the staff.

also, Tre Newton should probably count under this criteria. Drayton was also the guy on staff who originally recruited MO, which has been a Nice pipeline for us, though he hasn’t been given Ton of credit for the MO guys from what I can tell.

regardless, I haven’t really seen anyone on here singing Drayton’s praises.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Yeah, Drayton should have ID'd a fucking future aneurysm. Real failure of evaluation, that.

(In all seriousness, Drayton's not particularly well-liked on this board. And Washington did most of the recruiting in Georgia it sounds like)

Shit, people were praising the man when he was hired 2 years ago, and so far we have one RB on campus he actively recruited. 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

So you’re asking who a coach that’s been here 2 years has recruited that’s had a large impact on the field? You’re naturally going to get a short list for just about every coach on the staff.

also, Tre Newton Watson should probably count under this criteria. Drayton was also the guy on staff who originally recruited MO, which has been a Nice pipeline for us, though he hasn’t been given Ton of credit for the MO guys from what I can tell.

FTFY

Edited by TexasFan21

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

also, Tre Newton should probably count under this criteria. Drayton was also the guy on staff who originally recruited MO, which has been a Nice pipeline for us, though he hasn’t been given Ton of credit for the MO guys from what I can tell.

I was speaking more about when he was hired, not now.

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

My 30,000 foot view is that Drayton helps Herman with behind the scenes administrative duties. However, this isn't what most RB coaches typically do. Most RB Coaches are volume recruiters. 

Drayton’s probably been the biggest disappointments on this staff compared to his expectations coming in. Guys like Warehime and Mehringer were thought to be underwhelming when they came in, but Dayton had a long reputation as a rainmaker. I figured he’d be the primary OOS blue chip recruiter and be the type of guy to help Giles on the DL, but based on reports of recruiting duties, Drayton seems to only be involved with RBs and is doing a pretty meh job of that so far.

Shit, people were praising the man when he was hired 2 years ago, and so far we have one RB on campus he actively recruited. 

Oh, well yeah. He had a wonderful resume. He has not executed at the level we'd expect from that and now we like him less. It's called learning.

• Like 1

Just now, Spider2YBanana said:

I was speaking more about when he was hired, not now.

You weren’t though: “He seems to get more credit than he deserves.”

That’s a present-tense statement, and a very dumb one considering how people’s views of him have changed in the last two years. Idk why you’re choosing to ignore that people’s views have changed on him, but your premise that he’s overrated is nonsensical in light of that fact.

• Like 1

Just now, texifornia said:

Oh, well yeah. He had a wonderful resume. He has not executed at the level we'd expect from that and now we like him less. It's called learning.

I'm honestly baffled at how he could recruit everywhere else he's been, yet struggles here. I am glad he got Watson, but we need more than a rental. I guess I'm wondering wtf Herman is thinking. I just still cannot believe we didn't get Teo backs this cycle.

Just now, Spider2YBanana said:

I'm honestly baffled at how he could recruit everywhere else he's been, yet struggles here. I am glad he got Watson, but we need more than a rental. I guess I'm wondering wtf Herman is thinking. I just still cannot believe we didn't get Teo backs this cycle.

Perhaps Drayton's recruiting accomplishments elsewhere were overrated.

IT - Inside Scoop: Second Edition

Spoiler

New

More recruiting, more offers, more Texas love, more everything. More Scoop. 

QUAYDARIUS DAVIS

Sunday was a little more low-key for the staff, hosting a dozen or so prospects. It was another mixture of 2020 and 2021 talent on campus. One of those guys was Dallas Skyline WR Quay Davis. The fast-rising talent and junior-to-be was eager to see Austin and what the Horns had to offer, which was an offer.

"It was a blessing to get offered by Texas," said Davis. "I had fun, really a great time. I got to meet all the coaches, watch film/plays, just a great time. I've been waiting on Texas for a long time."

UT joined Oregon, Florida, Ole Miss, and Oklahoma State among his ten offers. One of the things working for the Horns here is quality control coach Ra’Shaad Samples. The former Skyline wide receiver was instrumental in getting Davis to Austin and the staff on the 6-foot-0, 190-pounder early.

"Coach Samples is a good dude," Davis said. "He went to my school, and is just a great coach and great guy."

Davis admitted Texas is his second favorite school right now, right behind Oregon. He also said he wants to make a decision after next season, possibly a year from now.

"I like the Oregon facilities, the coaching staff, and those jerseys too," said Davis. "I'll be visiting Oregon in three weeks. It's a lot, but Texas is in it fasho (for sure)."

The Ducks got on Davis early, sending him photos of campus and how he'd fit in their offense. But don't discount that Samples-Skyline connection. Oregon may be flashy, but Texas might be family. It's a Dallas thing.

RJ PROCTOR

With UT's eyes on the transfer portal, they look to be in the market for a veteran o-lineman to stabilize a young, budding offensive front. Virginia's RJ Proctor took an official visit this weekend and got a chance to meet a man he's long looked up to; Herb Hand.

“It went really well, said Proctor. “I didn’t know what to expect but it exceeded expectations.”

What stood out about UT to the 6-foot-4, 326-pound offensive lineman from Virginia?

“Honestly everything,” Proctor remarked. “The food, the unity (they move as one), the weight room, the culture, the hospitality, the city and coach Hand, of course. His techniques are one of a kind.”

Entering the NCAA Portal as a graduate transfer has its positives, and Proctor realizes he’ll have a big decision to make over the next few months. Ohio State and Oklahoma are the next visits for Proctor, but leaving Austin without an offer didn’t deter his admiration for Texas.

“I know I’m anxious but excited,” said Proctor. “I love the school for sure and I have connections with a lot of the players. I definitely got that vibe. But I’m grown and I know how the business works. We’ll see what happens.”

With Parker Braun set to visit soon, you can add Rutgers’ Jonah Jackson to that list. He’ll likely make the trip during spring practice.

Texas is in a great position here; they can kick the tires and size up the traveling o-linemen looking for a final season to prepare them for the league.

JAHARI ROGERS

"One of the best visits I've been on." 

That was the money quote from Arlington High's 6-foot, 170-pound, 2020 three-star athlete and recent Texas offer. He made the trip to Austin on Sunday and came away thoroughly impressed.

"The coaching staff was great, and I enjoyed the entire experience," said Rogers. "Of all the visits I've been on, this is one of the top ones. The stuff we did, the stuff we seen, the stuff the coaches talk about was wonderful. (Texas) is going up. Coach Washington is an exciting guy, off the wall every time I speak with him. It's crazy how well he develops players going to the league. That's what kind of coach I want to coach me. He really sees the bigger picture with his players."

Oklahoma, LSU, Florida, and Baylor are a few campuses Rogers has already tripped to, with 20+ offers, including LSU, OU, Florida, TCU, Louisville, and UCF.

How would Texas use the dynamic speedster?

"Really, I'm an athlete," Rogers explained. "They'll use me best on the defensive side at DB. (Texas) likes my speed, they like my length, and they said they can use me in a positive way on special teams as well. That's something I highly view myself as too, a great special teams player. That was an eye-opener too."

When Rogers got his UT offer recently, it caught his attention. But seeing the 40 Acres blew his mind.

"This visit was amazing," said Rogers. "They skyrocketed today and are one of the most known schools. A lot of my family and friends were excited, even crazy, when UT offered. (Texas) is definitely a Top 5 school on my list. And I haven't made one yet, but they'll be there."

He'll see TCU soon, narrow his list in the next few months, and hit the Under Armour and Opening regional camps, but right now, he's basically seen the schools he wanted to see. He'd like to commit before the start of his senior year and hopes to return to Austin this spring or summer.

NEWEST OFFER - CAM WHEATON 

If you didn't hear much about the Garland Lakeview Centennial sophomore tailback, that was by his design. The 2021 running back is a quiet, humble kid, not used to the recruiting scene despite holding numerous impressive offers. But more fascinating is the kid's potential.

At 5-foot-11, 185 pounds, Wheaton ran a 4.37 at TCU camp last summer, and 10.6 100 meters in his freshman year in T&F. He hasn't been clocked since but he thinks he's faster this season.

He rarely reports offers and people in his camp are trying to get him out of his shell more. The fact Texas is on him early and offered yesterday puts the Horns in the mix. I'm looking forward to going to see him soon.

• Like 1