Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Thats probably because anything that gets consistent play in Ohio is never actually Reality. Which is why that garbage stupidity doesnt get any play here. 

Strong take for being 100% wrong.  Things were getting very personal long before Herman arrived in Austin.  Do you actually believe Herman didn't know exactly where things were headed when he signed off on the Mrs backing Smith's ex?  Do you think he'd let that roll with one his mentors being Meyer and the relationship even a fraction of healthy?

The bad blood ran deep and still does even with Meyer's departure..  that recruiting board tweet was from the Ohio State staff, not OU.

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

He either told Perroni something or Perroni is sunshine pumping because some of the posters are giddy about something from Perroni's recruiting notes from the UA.

Perroni said: "Bastrop Cedar Creek four-star defensive end Alfred Collins has a mother than played basketball at Texas. However, word around the event is that he is a lot higher on Texas A&M than many realize. The Aggies were the first offer for the 6-foot-5, 248-pound junior and he really likes Terry Price. It would not be a shock to see him end up an Aggie."

Edited by Machinator

3 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Apparently he was in recruiting coordinator roles at Poke and LSU.

https://mutigers.com/coaches.aspx?rc=17&path=football

He's in for some culture shock. I think Gundy insists his coaches go home early so they can have a life outside of their work and see their families.  Jimbo is going to make the guy work 16 hour days.  (He chose poorly.)

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Perroni said: "Bastrop Cedar Creek four-star defensive end Alfred Collins has a mother than played basketball at Texas. However, word around the event is that he is a lot higher on Texas A&M than many realize. The Aggies were the first offer for the 6-foot-5, 248-pound junior and he really likes Terry Price. It would not be a shock to see him end up an Aggie."

Then why hasn't Perroni put in a crystal ball pick?  Usually doesn't take much for him to do so.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Eh, that's fine. I'm not gonna stress when he also told Baizer we're #1.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

A month ago, probably said it wouldn't be a shock to see Garth an aggy too.  Wasn't going to happen, wasn't close to happening, didn't happen.  $9.95 please.

18 minutes ago, Machinator said:

A lot higher than they realize... if I had a nickel. 

14 minutes ago, SLChorn said:

I feel like 2020 WRs could end up a lot like 2019 DBs where the amount of talent on campus encourages the top in state guys to go elsewhere.

I almost don't blame them.  Bru McCoy, Josh Moore, Brennan Eagles, Jordan Whittington, Jake Smith and Mookie Cooper makes six top 100 composite receivers to compete against.  Not to mention Washington, Woodard and Lewis.

It's a nice problem to have.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

There seems to be a real chance for this to be a class that has no fluff and just a ton of 4 and 5 stars.

Card, Parr, Majors, Cooper, Garth in.  Washington, Collins, Dorbah, Prince, Lindberg, Scott all seem like heavy leans.  Evans feels like a lean even though we won't know for almost a year.  Then Ringo, Broughton, Jackson, Thompson, Flowe, Wilson are all realistic to hopeful.

It seems realistic that this class could be better overall than the past two even if it doesn't score as high.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thepop said:

Typical Surly. Pretty much everything is going well with the program, and the discussion on here is a staff member hypothetically leaving to get a job title he already has.

You can see, surely, how hard it will be to give him a title he already has? This will take some problem-solving, but I trust the coaches to find a way.

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Meyer knew Charlie sucked and went all in on the 2017 class. Herman’s a different animal and Meyer’s been more seective in spending time and resources on Texas kids since.  tOSU went after Ingram, Cook, and a couple others in 2018 but got shut out. Since then, they only seem to go hard after a Texas kid if they have a particular connection, like Wilson.

We also took tOSU’s best Texas recruiter in Beck and they haven’t had many people with a good Texas connection since.

I don't think Urban liked what happened when he got into a pissing match with Tom Herman  I suspect that Zach Smith liked the result even less.  Herman will go to bat for a friend and the abused wife of a former co-worker.  Think he wouldn't do even more for the guys on his team?

3 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

Yeah true, i picked up on that. His voice inflection changed (geesh I feel silly even typing that) too when talking about us, but hey its the off-season.  Need something to hold my attention.

As others have said, our CA recruiting efforts have been nails.  I remember in 80s and early 90's reading Dallas Morning news recruiting lists and Notre Dame, FSU and Miami loaded up on TX kids.  Would be nice to see us to  CA and do the same. 

I cant help but think the amount of CA companies relocating to Texas has had some impact on how these CA kids and their families view Texas.  Maybe im over analyzing it, but you look at Toyota and large companies moving HQ out of CA, Texas has been a landing spot for many transplanted Californians.  Not to get to Cloak Room, but it may be helping.  That, and TH is a stud recruiter with a terrific support staff. 

https://www.sacbee.com/news/business/article212449489.html

Apparently half of the population in the Bay Area want out.  Why should football players be any different?

3 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Something I realized about Bru and DGF in terms of their future recruiting is that both chose us after feeling that USC lied to them. Floyd was originally committed to USC but felt that they lied about the number of LBs they took in 2018. Bru was enrolled but felt they lied about Kliff. I don't know how much negative recruiting players do but being viewed as unstable and dishonest is tough to overcome. 

Yep.  Contrast that with the way Tom Herman handled the situation with Shane Buechele.  That could easily have gone very badly but he was honest with Shane, did everything he could to preserve the redshirt and got strong effort in return and a good outcome for everyone.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Something really special is happening at Texas again. I can't help but get really pumped up. It sounds like the recruits are realizing it too.

aggy has been optimistic about their program for decades.  I wanna win conference championships and get into the playoff.  that would be special and we’re not there yet. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, futureman said:

aggy has been optimistic about their program for decades.  I wanna win conference championships and get into the playoff.  that would be special and we’re not there yet. 

The road from dogshit to the Playoff is a bit longer than two seasons. Making the CCG and winning the Sugar Bowl are exactly the milestones we needed to hit.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I think it was mentioned on the aggy thread, but this aggy site has a completely different report on Collins than Perroni's article.  

https://www.theother98.com/recruiting-notebook-houston-under-armour-all-american-football-camp/12543/11

How is OU the leader for Collins? His mother hooped at Texas. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

The road from dogshit to the Playoff is a bit longer than two seasons. Making the CCG and winning the Sugar Bowl are exactly the milestones we needed to hit.

if we lose to lincoln riley at jerryworld again next year I wouldn’t call it a special season.  it’s fucking unreal that UT has three conference titles in 23 years.  there’s not a damn thing special about that. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

if we lose to lincoln riley at jerryworld again next year I wouldn’t call it a special season.  it’s fucking unreal that UT has three conference titles in 23 years.  there’s not a damn thing special about that. 

I think he's implying that the specialness is being built, but has not yet arrived