Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 minute ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

He was the only one referred to by name with the appellation 'coach' in front of it. Riley got called Lincoln (after butchering it). USC's comment about coaches was just that they were disorganized. Oregon got a coaching staff is really amazing but no one mentioned by name. I like where we are. I see this being a Oregon/Texas battle that we have a pretty good shot at winning barring the two schools he mentioned entering the picture (Georgia, Clemson) causing some actual trouble.  That'll be 9.95

We should beat both Clemson and Georgia for most Cali kids considering Austin is a close as you can get to a Cali town in the south. Assuming all other things equal.

1 hour ago, jdhorn92 said:

Get that guy on campus.  For the recruitniks on the board, could he be Malik 2.0 in term of influence? 

It will be big battle as he narrows it down. SC struggles and we continue our progression, we should be fine.  Oregon having a down year will help too. Need them to take some L's early, need Auburn (who is usually good early) and Stanford to give them a couple early losses.

For your first question, I don't think so. I think he'll commit too late for a Malikmas. Though if he gives a silent early and let's people know it's possible. Hell even positive comments to other CA players could be useful. It'll be hard to actually evaluate the impact he has barring an early commitment though.

As for your second one, unfortunately, I don't think Stanford will be much trouble for Oregon. We'll see what Auburn does, but not much hope there either.

40 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Meyer knew Charlie sucked and went all in on the 2017 class. Herman’s a different animal and Meyer’s been more selective in spending time and resources on Texas kids since.  tOSU went after Ingram, Cook, and a couple others in 2018 but got shut out. Since then, they only seem to go hard after a Texas kid if they have a particular connection, like Wilson.

We also took tOSU’s best Texas recruiter in Beck and they haven’t had many people with a good Texas connection since.

Little did Urbsy realize that cherry picking 5*'s out of Texas was going to be his demise.  If Meyer doesn't treat the state like his private playground and try to play the heavy daddy card & fuck with Mensa..  he's still at tOSU.

Getting Beck didn't hurt, but when Mensa put a few in Zach Smith's skull and took out Meyer's knees he sent them packing and  fractured the entire program.  This reality doesn't get nearly enough play...  it sure as fuck does in Columbus.

Edited by UcancallmeSurly
  • Like 5

I think we're in a relatively good spot for Flowe, but I think anybody saying we're his top choice or in his top two before he even visits is getting way too far ahead of themselves. 

This one feels like Bru where we have a good chance once he's on campus, but let's not forget how much of a longshot Bru was. 

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

If Horns continue their rise into the Top 5 of CFB programs, not sure BC needs to leave Texas to accomplish his career goals.

We should be the only program in the country with the resources to meet or beat any other option he would ever be be presented with in his career.

• Like 1

Letting BC go would be the mistake that keeps on hurting for years (decades?). Brewster hurt us enough. BC is much younger and seems to connect with an awful lot of the guys we want. An expert on recruiting our turf is a danger, even to a renascent Texas. Unless he aspires to coach on the field, we should be able to craft a custom position for him and pay what it takes to keep him.

• Like 4

Just now, Magus Ossis said:

Letting BC go would be the mistake that keeps on hurting for years (decades?). Brewster hurt us enough. BC is much younger and seems to connect with an awful lot of the guys we want. An expert on recruiting our turf is a danger, even to a renascent Texas. Unless he aspires to coach on the field, we should be able to craft a custom position for him and pay what it takes to keep him.

BC is not going anywhere, why is this even a convo? Dude is from Houston and will be the highest paid non-coach soon. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Magus Ossis said:

how old is BC?  when will he hit 40 and stop relating to the kids?  then we can trade him in for a younger model. 

27 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Samples is being groomed to take over when the unfortunate inevitability of BC's departure occurs.

Where is he going? It's not like BC is a position coach that other schools can hire in an on the field role. He has no experience in terms of Xs and Os and actual on the field tasks that assistant coaches have. 

Other schools will obviously try and hire him in an off the field position (see LSU) but Texas isn't going to let him walk when it likely just comes down to salary. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Watched EJ's Periscope with Chad Lindberg and I come away pretty confident about our chances.  For several reasons:

-He said playing with guys he likes who are intelligent football players is important to him and talked about how he gets along with the Texas commits.

-Mentioned that even if he likes Stanford, Texas will still be up at the top.

-Mentioned, without being asked, that Zach Evans REALLY cares about the O-line he plays with.

-Loves Hand and flat out said he liked Hand more than the A&M O-line coach.

-Sort of sounds like the kind of guy who still wants to see schools but is heavily, heavily leaning towards Texas.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, UcancallmeSurly said:

Little did Urbsy realize that cherry picking 5*'s out of Texas was going to be his demise.  If Meyer doesn't treat the state like his private playground and try to play the heavy daddy card & fuck with Mensa..  he's still at tOSU.

Getting Beck didn't hurt, but when Mensa put a few in Zach Smith's skull and took out Meyer's knees he sent them packing and  fractured the entire program.  This reality doesn't get nearly enough play...  it sure as fuck does in Columbus.

Thats probably because anything that gets consistent play in Ohio is never actually Reality. Which is why that garbage stupidity doesnt get any play here. 

At some point BC will probably want to be the recruiting coordinator and be “the guy”. Money won’t have anything to do with it. There may come a day where we would have to choose between Chang and BC and Herman is so loyal he won’t get rid of guys that are underperforming, much less people who are doing an exceptional job like Chang. Sometimes you can’t just money whip an ambitious dude.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fellside said:

Watched EJ's Periscope with Chad Lindberg and I come away pretty confident about our chances.  For several reasons:

-He said playing with guys he likes who are intelligent football players is important to him and talked about how he gets along with the Texas commits.

-Mentioned that even if he likes Stanford, Texas will still be up at the top.

-Mentioned, without being asked, that Zach Evans REALLY cares about the O-line he plays with.

-Loves Hand and flat out said he liked Hand more than the A&M O-line coach.

-Sort of sounds like the kind of guy who still wants to see schools but is heavily, heavily leaning towards Texas.

On the note about liking Hand more than the new aggy OL coach (he says because he knows Hand better), I want to give surly some props. I try to not to get too sucked in to the echo chamber here on a lot of things but this board was spot on about Turner. Lindberg says he likes the new guy more than Turner and this class of 4 guards that are dropping in the rankings is just really bad. All the shit this board has talked about him has come to fruition and now that we're cleaning up the in state OL aggies are starting to realize it 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

At some point BC will probably want to be the recruiting coordinator and be “the guy”. Money won’t have anything to do with it. There may come a day where we would have to choose between Chang and BC and Herman is so loyal he won’t get rid of guys that are underperforming, much less people who are doing an exceptional job like Chang. Sometimes you can’t just money whip an ambitious dude.

He's already the "director of recruiting" by title. 

If his strength is connecting with recruits and not the daily tasks that come with being "the guy" this seems like a perfect position for Carrington. Assuming Texas pays him. 

I don't really buy this argument either because LSU was probably going to give him much more control than Texas was. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Agree sometimes ambitious guys want to climb the ladder. That is why I think the org chart might have to me configured to let both be #1s. On the field we have an OC and a DC. in recruiting, maybe we would have a division of analytics and one of operations, or some such. 

• Like 1

On the note about liking Hand more than the new aggy OL coach (he says because he knows Hand better), I want to give surly some props. I try to not to get too sucked in to the echo chamber here on a lot of things but this board was spot on about Turner. Lindberg says he likes the new guy more than Turner and this class of 4 guards that are dropping in the rankings is just really bad. All the shit this board has talked about him has come to fruition and now that we're cleaning up the in state OL aggies are starting to realize it 
We don't recruit against NMSU.