Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Mike Roach tidbits from Junior day 

—Parish Episcopal 2021 QB Preston Stone is starting to focus on his recruiting. He’s looking to cut down his top schools in the next few weeks, and Texas will definitely be in it. Texas and SMU are the only schools standing out for Stone at this point. He has a great relationship with Tim Beck, and he raved about the resume Beck has at the quarterback position. Texas is in excellent shape here. Stone has added both height and weight over the last few months, and is now standing around 6-foot-2.

—2021 La Grange Park (IL.) quarterback J.J. McCarthy was one of the last guys out of the building on Saturday. McCarthy has actually been a long-time Texas fan, and he was sporting a pair of burnt orange shoes he said he bought years ago. McCarthy said the highlight of the visit was the time he spent with Tim Beck watching film and getting to ask questions to Sam Ehlinger and Roschon Johnson. If Texas chooses to offer, they could become a huge player.

—New Texas commit Mookie Cooper came into the weekend with the idea of wanting to make a commitment. Once he arrived on campus he decided to make that call. Bryan Carrington was huge in this recruitment, and Drew Mehringer also did a great job handling this him. Cooper has been a long-time Texas lean, and we expect him to stick and become an active recruiter.

—News of Temple wide receiver Quentin Johnston’s offer came out yesterday, but he was actually offered over a month ago. Johnston is not big on using social media, so he never tweeted it. Nonetheless, he was impressed on his visit today and talked about the potential of playing with his former high school quarterback Jared Wiley. Johnston mentioned TCU, Oklahoma and Baylor as other schools standing out for him, the proximity to Temple and the way they used big receivers this year has Texas in a good position.

—2021 Willowridge wide receiver Latrell Neville was back on campus once again. The big receiver named Texas in his Top 3 along with LSU and Ohio State. The Longhorns have done a great job recruiting him, and having Javonne Shepherd in Austin will help them in these efforts. He’s planning to make a fall decision, and I expect Texas to be in the running.

—2020 Tulsa (Okla.) Booker T. Washington wide receiver JJ Hester said that he always grew up an Oklahoma fan, but he’s also had an interest in Texas for some time. He made the visit to show his interest and was able to get an in-depth look at the program. The offer meant a lot to him, and it doesn’t appear Oklahoma is going to be a big threat at this point. Texas has a chance here.

—2021 Richmond Foster wide receiver Cody Jackson picked up his offer on Saturday. Oklahoma currently holds the edge, but Texas did a good job establishing communication with him. Jackson is expected to be a priority recruit for Drew Mehringer in the next cycle, but they will have to overcome the Sooners and the influence of former Foster star CeeDee Lamb.

—2021 WR/ATH Shadrach Banks can be quiet in group interview formats, but he was having a great time on campus today. The nation’s top-ranked athlete in 2021 spent time with some of the other highly-rated players. It’s still early, but Banks said that Texas will likely be in his top group when he cuts his list of top schools. I would expect the Longhorns to be a tough out in this recruitment as well.

—Texas A&M commit Smart Chibuzo said he is still solid to Texas A&M, but he wanted to see what other schools have to offer. He enjoyed the visit and got to spend some time with Herb Hand. Chibuzo mentioned he still has interest in Texas, so it would not be a surprise to see him return for more visits.

—2021 All Saints Episcopal OL Tommy Brockermeyer talked a lot about making his own decision and not following in the footsteps of his father. At the same time, Brockermeyer does love Texas and the relationships he’s been able to build on his own. He would like to explore all available options, but the Longhorns have to be considered the front runner at this point

• Like 3

EJ ten takeaways from junior day

-Big get — The junior day weekend resulted in a big commitment for Texas as four-star Saint Louis Trinity Catholic (MO) athlete Mookie Cooper pulled the trigger and gave the Longhorns a verbal pledge. I put my Crystal Ball in with confidence last May as Texas completely dominated this recruitment. There was never really a close second. Both Bryan Carrington and Drew Mehringer deserve a ton of credit in this one. I really like Cooper’s game and think he can be a difference maker for the Longhorns in the slot and as a returner. I expect him to stick with UT through the process and help the Longhorns recruit.

2. National success — Landing Cooper gives Texas a huge national recruiting win. The Longhorns have done a tremendous job of luring elite out-of-state talent, and Cooper is the latest national Top 100 recruit to side with Texas. Saint Louis is there for the taking, and the Longhorns have and will continue to do well in the area. Cooper told me that Texas appeals to Saint Louis kids because of the program’s history, the short flight and the city of Austin. Texas has also had a ton of success in the state of Arizona and hosted one of the best in 2020 in four-star defensive end Jason Harris. Texas should be a strong contender with him after this visit.

3. Trending up — Texas has hosted four-star 2020 defensive lineman Princely Umanmielenalmost every weekend — literally — this offseason. The Longhorns are really winning him over and while he wouldn’t say it, I feel like they are gaining an edge over Oklahoma. Umanmielen still wants to take his time with his decision, but right now, it’s hard not to peg Texas the leader. Texas is also moving in the right direction with four-star safety Bryson Washington. I also feel like Texas leads for him — and by a good margin. This visit was pivotal with recent offer Xavion Alford. I believe Texas may have moved into the pole position.

4. Elite 2021 recruits — Texas played host to perhaps two of the Top 5 players in the state for next cycle in wide receiver Latrell Nevilleand athlete Shadrach Banks. Neville told me Texas is firmly in his early Top 3. Texas A&M, which was thought to be a favorite, is not in there. The Longhorns hold the clear in-state advantage, and Neville is friends with 2019 Texas signee Javonne Shepherd. I also like where Texas stands with Banks coming out of the visit. Out of all the recruits we saw today, none looked like they had as much fun as Banks. He was on campus with North Shore coach Theadis Reagins, who coached Texas players Al’vonte Woodard, D’shawn Jamison and Anthony Cook at Houston Lamar.

5. New corner offer — Texas junior day resulted in a new offer for fast-rising 2020 cornerback Joshua Eaton. He is quickly becoming one of the hottest recruits in the nation and could be a four-star prospect before you know it. Eaton is tall and lanky and has plenty of speed. He is exactly the type of corner that Texas loves. Eaton spent a ton of time with Jason Washington today and loved his time on campus. Texas will be a major player for him moving forward.

6. New 2021 offers — Texas also put offers on the table for 2021 wide receiver Cody Jacksonand 2021 defensive end Ja’Tavion Sanders. The recruiting process is just getting started for Sanders, who has notched close to 15 offers over the last month. Sanders’ family loves the program, and Texas may be the early leader here. Oklahoma is the heavy favorite for Jackson. His former teammate is CeeDee Lamb and is making a big impact on him. But Mehringer has made him a priority for next cycle, and he has legitimate interest in Texas.

7. Hosting new WR offers — Texas played host to recent wide receiver offer Quentin Johnston. While he underwhelmed at camp and needs some technical work, Johnston can run the go route like no other in this class and would be a dynamic threat on the outside. He wants to stay closer to home, and I feel like Texas is the team to beat coming out of the weekend. Four-star wide receiver JJ Hester grabbed a Texas offer on his visit, and the Longhorns are squarely in the mix. He grew up an OU but loves the idea of playing at UT after this visit.

8. A&M commits visit — Texas hosted a pair of Texas A&M offensive line commits in Smart Chibuzo and Akinola Ogunbiyi. Of the two, Chibuzo seems more open to other schools. Chibuzo said he was impressed with what Texas had to offer and enjoyed his time on campus but maintained that he is solid with A&M. Ogunbiyi seems firm to A&M, and I wasn’t able to get anything from him post-visit. I don’t feel like either will land at Texas, but that’s completely fine considering where the Longhorns stand with priority targets upfront.

5COMMENTS

9. Top 2021 QBs — Elite 2021 quarterback Preston Stone isn’t really enamored with the recruiting process, but he made his way to Texas for a visit. Stone loves the program and has developed a bond with offensive coordinator Tim Beck. Stone hasn’t really mentioned many other schools, so we still feel good about our Texas Crystal Ball picks. Stone is the top guy in 2021 as the Longhorns feel like he’s a unicorn of a prospect. Along with Stone, Texas also hosted Eli Stowers and JJ McCarthy. Both hold major offers and are on the board as well.

10. Staffers — The two staffers that really impacted recruits today were Ra’Shaad Samples and Bryan Carrington. Samples spent a lot of time with the aforementioned Neville and Banks, and both prospects spoke highly of him. Carrington was involved with basically all major recruits. All raved about him as being an older brother figure. Carrington and Samples are both young, energetic and can relate to prospects. While they can’t get out on the road, they are invaluable weapons during on-campus visits.

Mike Roach tidbits from Junior day 
—New Texas commit Mookie Cooper came into the weekend with the idea of wanting to make a commitment. Once he arrived on campus he decided to make that call. Bryan Carrington was huge in this recruitment, and Drew Mehringer also did a great job handling this him. Cooper has been a long-time Texas lean, and we expect him to stick and become an active recruiter.

Ok. So I initially thought they had puffed up Mehringers recruiting accolades last cycle to try to get him a new landing spot in this offseason. But seems like maybe he’s turned himself into a legit recruiter.
I have no insider knowledge so please if someone has any info, lemme know. However it’s getting done behind the scenes, I like it.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, nycHorn said:

Ok. So I initially thought they had puffed up Mehringers recruiting accolades last cycle to try to get him a new landing spot in this offseason. But seems like maybe he’s turned himself into a legit recruiter.
I have no insider knowledge so please if someone has any info, lemme know. However it’s getting done behind the scenes, I like it.

Sounds like he was instrumental with bru Mccoy but hurt Texas with Garrett wilson. So I guess we will see

• Like 1

Mike Roach defensive tidbits from junior day

-Manor DE Princely Umanmielen said that Oklahoma and Texas are currently standing at the top for him. Umanmielen visited Austin several times this offseason, and while he’s maintaining that Texas and Oklahoma are even, we are receiving positive vibes in regards to the Longhorns in this recruitment. The local product has been a frequent visitor, and the Longhorns have a chance to slam the door on this recruitment in the coming weeks.

—2021 Katy Tompkins DE Tunimse Adeleyemade yet another visit to Austin after coming in for the elite weekend. The massive defensive lineman said that his father loves the educational opportunities at Texas, and he enjoys talking with players and coaches at each of the school he visits. Adeleye went on to say that the reception from players and coaches has been tremendous at Texas, and he’s been hearing a lot from David Gbendaand Peter Mpagi. It’s early, but Texas is carving out a great foothold in this recruitment.

—2021 Denton Ryan defensive end Ja'Tavion Sanders made his way to Austin and picked up a Texas offer. The fast-rising defensive end prospect mentioned that there are several Texas fans in his family. He hasn’t visited many other schools, and Tom Herman personally made the offer to him. Sanders said that made his offer experience meaningful. He’s still sorting through all of the new offers, but Texas will definitely be a player for him throughout his recruitment.

—2020 North Shore linebacker Corey Flagg is a throwback linebacker, and he also has a throwback personality. While the stadium renovations were a big topic on today’s visit, Flagg mentioned he just cares about playing football. He said that his highlight was spending time with Todd Orlando breaking down film, and he loves the potential fit in the Texas defense. Orlando told Flagg that they will evaluate him in the spring, and he is staying patient with the process.

—2020 Aldine MacArthur cornerback Joshua Eaton picked up his offer after making the visit. He’s building a strong relationship with Jason Washington. The Longhorns surprised him with an offer while showing him some of the equipment, and he mentioned that the way they did it was meaningful. With so many offers incoming, Eaton is trying to take his time and see his options. Eaton mentioned that the Texas offer was one he was looking for, and Texas will be in his top 5.

—Broken Arrow (Okla.) defensive back Myles Slusher can play cornerback or safety, and he met today with both Jason Washington and Craig Naivar. Slusher is already planning a return trip to Austin for the spring, and he’s discussed going to the same school with Tulsa product Javian Hester who was also on campus. Oklahoma is not really in the picture for either prospect, so Texas has the chance to land both if they continue to recruit them hard.

—Shadow Creek safety Xavion Alford enjoyed getting an in-depth look at the program. He spent personal time with Craig Naivar, and he loves his personality. He loves that Texas plays with so many defensive backs on the field, and he feels he can play several positions. Alford has Texas high on his list, but he’s planning to take his time with the process and not decide until February. Texas A&M and LSU are the other programs in the picture for him right now.

—John Tyler athlete Kitan Crawford spent time with Jason Washington today, and Texas is recruiting him at cornerback. Crawford is new to the process, so he’s trying to take his time. He really enjoyed the visit to Austin, and loved getting the chance to see the campus. Baylor is another school in the picture for him, but Crawford spoke highly of his relationship with Washington and the future of the program.

—C.E. King safety Bryson Washington said that Texas is recruiting him the hardest out of any school. This visit was different for him since he was able to spend more intimate time with coaches. There’s been buzz that he could commit to Texas soon, but Washington plans to take his time. Oklahoma is probably the biggest threat to the Longhorns for his services

Samples and Carrington bring an interesting discussion about assistant coaches. 

If you can hire support staff that have this big of an impact on recruiting why not focus more on hiring assistants with strengths on the field than in recruiting? There's obviously some limitations on recruiting with support staff like Carrington and Samples but the point remains. 

If I can hire 2 or 3 elite recruiters on the support staff why shouldn't it change the priority of assistant hires? 

Interesting video from the 3 kids from Oklahoma that visited today and how they feel about the lack of attention from OU and OkState ... Hester is pissed AF

https://247sports.com/Player/Myles-Slusher-46048503/

https://247sports.com/Player/Sevion-Morrison-46059276/

https://247sports.com/Player/Javian-Hester-46051306/

7 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Interesting video from the 3 kids from Oklahoma that visited today and how they feel about the lack of attention from OU and OkState ... Hester is pissed AF

Harry Kuntz reporting

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

DB and outside WR recruiting are going to be fascinating to follow this cycle. I think there are three or four uncommitted prospects who are realistic* and clear takes for the staff right now: Ringo at CB1, Omeire at XWR, and Bryson Washington at safety (you could probably throw Chris Thompson in there as well). Beyond that, the pecking order is not quite clear to me yet. We're going to land some damn good players, though.

*I'm not going to put players like Wilson, Phillips, and Ransom in this group until they visit.

23 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Harry Kuntz reporting

31 minutes ago, golfclap said:

So what’s the story on why they are being recruited by ou and osu 

2 minutes ago, ApocalyseTexas said:

Sorry I meant to ask why they are not being recruited by ou and osu.  Seems strange for really good in state players not being a priority for in state major programs 

no, no.  your name.  “Apocalyse.”  what the fuck is that.  or am I getting trolled. 

23 minutes ago, futureman said:

I mean, fuck OU, but they’ve dominated the big XII for almost 20 years.  hopefully herman can change that.  I doubt the program feels threatened.  maybe some twitter fans. 

Agreed except this all started with their coach talking shit. Plus add in all the "where you been" and horns down photos, I think they do feel threatened on some level or why not just reply with the facts you outlined or even better, let the play do the talking. 

That's what I'm going with anyways so good luck trying to convince me otherwise. It's already filed right next to "Bobby quit because he saw what Herman was building" in my fandom outlook. 

• Like 2