Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

IT on Hudson Card:

Let's start with the Class of 2020. While UT continues to build its 2019 group, Herman and company always have their eyes on the next quarterback take. Last summer for example, landing Roschon Johnson was a nice present during the Stars at Night event at DKR. We anticipate the same with the next class. Texas wants two QBs in 2020 with in-state targets Card and Malik Hornsby at the forefront. They'll keep their eyes on California where 5-star quarterbacks apparently grow on trees. Landing a prospect like Card this early would be huge, not only for the 2020 class, but for the 512.

He'll be Lake Travis' signal-caller for the next two seasons, and he'll be 15 minutes down the road. If they take Card, will Hornsby still love Texas? I can't tell you that definitively, I just know Hornsby and Texas have a great relationship and connections that go way back. But for now, start getting used to Hudson Card.

From one of the top quarterback coaches in the college ranks: “Like Hudson. He’s raw as far as QB experience but he has a lot of playmaking ability. Will get better with game reps and action. Him and Brendon Lewis in state as well as Hornsby.”

Not too much here: https://247sports.com/college/texas/ContentGallery/Whos-next-A-look-at-five-2020-Texas-Longhorns-recruiting-commit-candidates-118589742/#118589742_5

Interesting piece - apparently we offered Ja'Quinden Jackson as a QB and he told the staff he doesn't want to play it in college so now we're recruiting him as an ATH/OLB.

IT

2020 QUARTERBACK

Speaking of which, Texas landing Hudson Card, the staff's first instate quarterback offer of the cycle, is the epitome of short-game.

A common question with Card is, what position is he being recruited as. He is 100% a quarterback, until he isn't. 

Somebody pretty close to Malik Hornsby asked me about Card. I told him I suspected Hornsby was #1 on UT's board and Card caught Texas somewhat by surprise. This source said he suspected the same thing.

I asked this person if he felt like this would motivate Hornsby to look elsewhere. He responded by saying he hadn't yet talked to Malik about it, though he did say, "if he isn't intimidated by Roschon I don't know why he'd be afraid to compete with Card." He added that Hornsby is very competitive and being part of a two quarterback class isn't something he thinks will affect his decision.

It's important to underscore that he had yet to talk to Hornsby. Normally Justin or I would go straight to the player but in instances like these writers should back off. It could accidentally plant a seed in a player's head and we don't want to come across the wrong way. 

We know Hornsby really likes UT and the offense. We also know he's going to see his stock continue to rise. We'll be monitoring this one closely for the next several months.

2020 OFFENSIVE LINE

Just as Lo-Joe has been reincarnated, so too has Mason Walters in 6-foot-6, 305 pound Chad Lindberg from Clear Creek. 

With his Swedish last name, Lindberg is clearly the owner of fine athletic genetics. But that DNA was spliced with something else because he's highly intelligent too with a GPA well over 5.0. Many have him figured for A&M, which is a common refrain with forecasting offensive linemen in the classes ahead, but Lindberg's face lit up when I asked about Herb Hand. He's quite fond of the new o-line coach, but he did mention, "I hope he sticks around and will still be there if I go there. He's moved around a lot."

Lindberg is either a right tackle, or guard. As you can tell from my comparison, he's a burly, mauling sort.

One offensive linemen to keep an eye on who is definitely a guard is Kempner's Akinola Ogunbiyi (O-goon-bee). The 6-foot-4, 310 pounder already holds offers from LSU, OU, and A&M with Georgia showing interest. 

He recently visited Texas and had this to say. "It was really nice, I liked the facilities. The coaches were really nice, I could see myself going there."

We've heard nothing but positives on Hand. That trend continues. "Coach Hand, lovely guy. I think he's a great coach and I could see myself working with him."

Ogunbiyi visited A&M in late March and then again yesterday. The Aggies will be a team to watch as they aggressively recruit the class ahead.

He'd like to decide before his senior year. He's looking for strong culture, education, and good relationships with the team and coaches. 

He'll visit Georgia this summer and maybe Baylor.

Three players likely to visit this summer, per Nahlin:

QB Carlos Dixon, 6-foot-6, 215: This kid has a pretty big arm and is a decent athlete. Natural mover for his size, though not an electric athlete. Cardale Jones? I hear he's only 15 years old.

DE Jadyn Bost, 6-foot-3, 249: Best offer is Ole Miss but he has my full attention. I think he's a fine 4i prospect but he's headed further inside based on body projection. He'll likely be offer worthy. Quick, moves well laterally, shows aggression. Oh, and he's 15.

WR Ryan King, 6-foot-4, 205: Best offers are Ole Miss and Arkansas, but he holds A&M as well. Burn! Bigger receiver who uses his body well. Would be an X.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Nahlin also says that UT has yet to talk to Hornsby since Card committed.

Not a huge fan of that piece of info. If we're taking Card as a QB2/ATH and trying to get someone like Hornsby, then he's an incredible get. If we're taking him as a QB1 and throwing in the towel on guys like Young and Hornsby, then I'm much less enthused.  I guess time will tell. Doesn't seem like anyone out there knows the staff's strategy yet. 

2020 updates from EJ on Dorbah and Thompson Jr.  ::

Chris Thompson Jr. is now the nation’s top safety in the 2020 class.

The four-star prospect out of Duncanville saw a jump in the ranking after an impressive spring that resulted in offers from schools across the country. But Thompson is in no rush to make an early decision.

“I’m just really taking my time with it,” Thompson said. “I’m just grasping it. Everything right now is neutral. I have no favorites.”

Texas extended an offer to Thompson in January and has made him one of its top targets for next cycle. Thompson has already been to campus twice this offseason and has high interest in the program.

“Texas has a great environment,” Thompson said. “They have a great school and a great education. Just graduating from there would be a great thing. I like the scheme. Having six defensive backs on the field at once is nice.”

Thompson added that he is quickly building a strong relationship with Texas safeties coach Craig Naivar, who saw him a few times this spring, including for his spring game last week.

What's next for the Longhorns? Make sure you're in the loop by signing up for our FREE Texas newsletter!

“I love Coach Naivar,” Thompson said. “He’s a really cool guy. He keeps it real with me. He always talks to me. We just have a great relationship.”

Along with Texas, Thompson holds early offers from Alabama, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, TCU, Texas A&M and others. He is in the process of planning summer visits.

At 6-foot-2, 180 pounds, Thompson is ranked as the No. 52 overall recruit in the country in 2020, per 247Sports.

Prince Dorbah saw his recruitment really pick up this spring.
The fast-rising 2020 defensive end out of Highland Park has notched numerous Power Five offers from programs across the country and is excited about the process.
“Recruiting has been going great for me,” Dorbah said. “I recently picked up Alabama and Oklahoma offers. Texas and Arkansas came in, too. Boston College offered, too. It’s just been getting busy.”
As mentioned, Texas was one of those schools that jumped in the mix and put an offer on the table this spring.
“The Texas offer means a lot to me, man,” Dorbah said. “Texas is my home state. I’m looking forward to going there for a visit. They’ve been sending me a lot of emails and letters.”
What's next for the Longhorns? Make sure you're in the loop by signing up for our FREE Texas newsletter!
So where do the Longhorns stand early on?
“I’m definitely interested in Texas,” Dorbah said. “It’s my home state, you know. I was born and raised here. I’m looking forward to learning more about the program.”

Along with Texas, Dorbah holds offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Boston College, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and SMU.

Dorbah recorded 84 tackles and 10 sacks as a sophomore en route to helping Highland Park win the 5A DI state championship.
Dorbah is not ranked at this time.

12 hours ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Not a huge fan of that piece of info. If we're taking Card as a QB2/ATH and trying to get someone like Hornsby, then he's an incredible get. If we're taking him as a QB1 and throwing in the towel on guys like Young and Hornsby, then I'm much less enthused.  I guess time will tell. Doesn't seem like anyone out there knows the staff's strategy yet. 

Well, apparently Texas spoke to him today.

On 5/23/2018 at 6:40 PM, Fud said:

Long way off, but in their first year, Ehlinger would be a senior, Rising and Thompson would be third year guys, and Roschon a sophomore. Chances are at least one transfers, probably either Thompson or Rising, although that might not be until the spring after Ehlinger graduates and Thompson, Rising, and Roschon are vying for the starting spot. If Roschon wins the job, then both probably transfer. Long way off, of course.. 

Finally, a "good" problem to have.