Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

On 6/19/2018 at 8:21 PM, Laga4 said:

Didn't see much about him,  but Omari Thomas from Memphis was there with his QB who is 2019.  I think Thomas has an offer.  

Friend of mine works at American and checked them through to Memphis.  They were wearing their Texas ID tags so he hit them up a little bit.  Said they were high on Texas,  raving about the facilities.  Said Tennessee was out.  Also, looking at A&M,  who they also visited,  Georgia and 'bama.

Anyway,  thought that was nearly as good as Port a Poty girl,  Uber driver,  and 7-11 guy so I passed it along.  

we all need friends in baggage

IT recruiting updates:

JOEL WILLIAMS

The Baton Rouge native (Madison Prep Academy) is one of the nation’s top athletes in 2020. Texas recently offered so he made an UOV a few weeks back.

“I love the recruiting process,” said Williams, who just returned from an Alabama visit and garnered an LSU offer. Madison Prep puts out notable college prospects on the regular, like UT's Malcolm Roach, and Williams is just next in line. It helps Texas really opened his eyes.

“When I went to Texas, I never saw a facility so live in my life,” said Williams. "Everybody was so welcoming and I loved the atmosphere."

He hit College Station for a mini-camp the next day. He’ll take his time, but he says he’s open.

“Really, all the schools excite me and have me thinking because they all look awesome," Williams said.

Williams is an incredible athlete that Texas envisions at cornerback. The 6-foot-2, 188-pounder holds 20 offers including Georgia, LSU, Florida State, Tennessee, and Ole Miss among others. His untapped potential tells me he'll have double that by his senior campaign.

It's still early but Texas has done a good job building the relationship. Credit CB coach Jason Washington here, who continues to excel on the recruiting trail.

Williams hopes to return this fall for a game. He's definitely one to watch.

COLLIN SULLIVAN

Though Houston and the Metroplex are the talent hotbeds in Texas, Austin is slowly generating more and more football talent and not just at the traditional 6A powerhouses.

2020 Round Rock WR Collin Sullivan is a perfect example of that. He doesn’t play for one of the two big name programs traditionally thought of when thinking of Austin football, but he does play the wide receiver position well, and the hometown university is one he has interest in.

Sullivan saw several different schools over camp season, including Texas on June 10. He made his way to see Duke, Baylor, Notre Dame, Northwestern, and met with Ohio State coaches at a camp in San Marcos.

Sullivan told our friends at Irish Sports Daily he was clocked at 4.53 in the 40 at Notre Dame’s Elite Skills Camp.

Sullivan currently has offers from Oregon, Arizona, Arkansas, Baylor, Houston, Northwestern, Boston College, Kansas, and SMU. He has yet to receive one from Texas, but knows there haven’t been very many issued for 2020 players.

“They just told me I’ve got to stay patient,” Sullivan said following a camp at Texas on June 10th. “I have older friends that are getting recruited right now and just now getting their offers. You’ve got to stay patient.”

He’s seen Texas multiple times including a visit during one of 2018’s junior days. He told reporters Texas would be a really good offer if they were to send one his way.

During the camp two weeks ago, he got to spend a lot of time working with Texas’ 2020 quarterback commit Hudson Card. Though Card wasn’t recruiting him with his words, his play did a little bit of that for him.

“It was good,” Sullivan said on working with the Lake Travis QB. “We were going (through) every one-on-one together. Our chemistry felt good, and a he throws a good ball.”

One thing Texas has going for it in the recruitment of the 6-foot-1, 183 pound pass-catcher is a good relationship with the Longhorns’ current outside wide receivers coach, Drew Mehringer.

“I’ve gotten to know him for a good time,” Sullivan said. “Everything’s close and we’re good. Just got to keep catching up with each other. They were at the Texas State camp and we were talking the entire time. We’re pretty close.”

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Listen, I appreciate the updates, but what the fuck on no one putting the actual players' names in this stuff? Not the poster and the dumbfuck at Rivals. Most of us don't follow all of these teenagers on Twitter. Who the fuck are we looking at right here? Is it the North Shore running back? Or is it some other 2020 5 star RB we're supposed to know about? 

Listen, I appreciate the updates, but what the fuck on no one putting the actual players' names in this stuff? Not the poster and the dumbfuck at Rivals. Most of us don't follow all of these teenagers on Twitter. Who the fuck are we looking at right here? Is it the North Shore running back? Or is it some other 2020 5 star RB we're supposed to know about? 

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I did for the 2019s but forgot on this one, my bad. Yes, this is Zach Evans.

Edited by Machinator

40 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Calm down, ctj.  It's obviously Rashan Gary. 

• Like 1

Joe Cook: Two 2020 DBs talk recruiting, Longhorns

As usual, it was way too hot in College Station for State 7-on-7. Inside Texas caught up with two top DB targets in the 2020 class regarding recruiting and Texas.

MOVING McGLOTHERN

Though Cedar Hill Trinity Christian wasn’t participating in the State 7-on-7 tournament, 2020 standout Dwight McGlothern was at Veterans Park and Athletic Complex to support his former New Caney teammates.

McGlothern recently announced his decision to transfer to the school closely associated with Hall of Fame corner Deion Sanders, Trinity Christian. For McGlothern, it’s a way to help him advance to his athletic and academic goals.

“Learning from the best and getting some private school work on my education and focusing on my grades, where I need to be, and my classes to graduate early,” McGlothern said Friday. “It will benefit me very well.”

The tall defensive back already has 14 offers to his name including Texas, Alabama, LSU, Texas A&M, Georgia, Ohio State, and Oklahoma. It’s still early for McGlothern so a lot of schools appeal to him.

He plans to release his list of top schools following The Opening. When asked about where Texas stands, McGlothern was quick to give a positive response.

“They’re already up there,” McGlothern said. “They’re already at the top. Them, Texas A&M, LSU, Alabama, they’re already at the top.”

McGlothern’s ability allows for him to play multiple positions in the defensive backfield at the next level. He said he preferred to play corner but was open to playing other positions.

Accordingly, Texas safeties coach Craig Naivar is the one who communicates with McGlothern the most. McGlothern called Naivar “so real” and had high praise for him.

“I just really feel like he cares about me,” McGlothern said. “He’s not telling me this just to tell me this. He’s really helping me in ways that can benefit me.”

As far as getting back to campus, McGlothern said he plans to make his way back to Austin after the end of the dead period. He also spoke highly of Texas' capitol city.

“You’ve got the university,” McGlothern said. “That’s the main university of Texas. I just feel like it’s better being in that environment in Austin. It’s just good vibes.”

THE SNOWSTORM

Every cycle there are kids who are a joy to interview. 2020 Lewisville Hebron S Darius Snow is one of those kids.

Carrying the nickname “The Snowstorm,” Snow showed up to the event with triple digit temperatures wearing a sleeveless hoodie and sweatpants. However, talking to him revealed he’s as cool as his nickname.

Snow’s backpack walking around the facility had badges and nametags from all the places he’s seen over the past few weeks. They include some of the best programs in the country.

His outlook on recruiting is refreshing in the modern climate, so his whole answers are worth reading.

On where he’s been recently:
“I’ve been to a lot really. These past couple of weeks I’ve been to five. I went to Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, Notre Dame, and Michigan State. The biggest thing with me -- I’m going to be a junior next year so I’m in no hurry – I’m trying to get out to as many schools as possible just to see what it’s like on campus. It’s completely different when you hear about things and see it on TV and then you actually go watch it for yourself. What I wanted to do is make it out to all the schools during the summer so I could get the whole tour from facilities to campus, and maybe talk to a few players. Notre Dame, my cousin Braden Lenzy goes there. Got to go out there and talk to him to see it from a player’s standpoint. I also want to be able to get back in the fall and see a game atmosphere, two different types of things. With me, in terms of visits and everything, I’m just trying to get out to as many places as possible.”

On his relationship with Texas:
“The last time I went there was the spring game. My relationship with them is ongoing. It’s improving every day. I definitely am developing a relationship with coach Naivar every day. I call him just about every week, maybe every other week. Sometimes we talk about stuff that’s not even related to football. He’s a great guy. He’s a family guy. He’s straightforward, but at the same time he’s lenient. He’s just a great coach and a guy that I like talking to.”

On Tom Herman:
“The times I’ve went down to Texas, I’ve gotten to say hi. I got to talk a little bit, but I haven’t been able to talk to him as much. I’m definitely trying to see him in terms of game action. I know last year was his first year so I don’t really judge that. I want to see what he does in his second year. He’s a great coach. Everybody has seen what he did at Houston. I think he can do the same thing at Texas. They’ve got the class to do it. They’ve got the tools to do it. I’m very interested.”

On his plans following the dead period:
“I probably will go on as many (as I can). I’m not sure. I know that Stanford is a school that I’ll definitely get out to at the end of July when the dead period ends. There are a few schools but I’m not sure yet. I know Stanford is a school I’ll definitely get out to.”

On his decision timeline: 
“I’ll be a junior next year, so I’ve got two more years of high school. I’m in no hurry. I’ll begin to make a list before my senior year. I’ll begin to narrow in on schools. In terms of a commitment, that won’t happen until at least my senior year.”

IT on Justin Flowe:

JUSTIN FLOWE

Texas continues to recruit California, but 2020 Upland (CA) LB Justin Flowe is being recruited because he's one of the best players in the nation. He was one of the handful of 2020 players at The Opening Finals in Frisco, and looked like he belonged before sustaining an injury that kept him out of the final days.

Flowe has almost 40 schools recruiting him, but Texas is one he knows about thanks to De'Gabriel Floyd.

On The Opening:
"Everything's going well. It's a good experience. I'm learning a lot of new things about the top players. It's a good experience."

On recruiting:
"Recruiting is going really well right now. I have 38 offers. I'm just going to take it a little slow and figure out where I'm going to go to college."

On how schools try to stand out:
"They try to throw things at me like 'we have a better facility' or 'our program is better than everyone else.' They try to make themselves seem different."

On Texas:
"I like the coaching staff. I talk to the whole coaching staff. They're really good."

On Texas recruiting California and De'Gabriel Floyd:
"De'Gabriel is my boy. He's telling me everything about Texas because he took a visit. I haven't taken a visit yet. He tells me everything is good."

On what he knows about Texas:
"I haven't taken a visit there, but I know it's a really good school."

On if he plans to visit Texas:
"Most definitely. During the summer, I'm probably going to be up there."

On other schools recruiting him:
"Alabama, of course USC, and a lot of Florida schools. Basically everybody."

On which linebacker position Texas talks with him about:
"They said I could play all three, whatever I want to play. Wherever I fit best. I feel good about that."

Flowe plans to be back at The Opening Finals next year.

TFB on Elias Ricks: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/07/open-post-weekend-july-6th-8th/

– Elias Ricks was one of a select few underclassmen competing at The Opening Finals the past week. He was named the MVP of his position group — as a Class of 2020 prospect — and received some unique news midway through the event.

Texas dished out an offer to the 5-star cornerback from California on Monday, which is an offer Ricks had quietly been anxious to pick up.

“They’ve been trying to get in contact with me for a while,” Ricks said. “(Texas commit) De’Gabriel (Floyd) has been pushing me a lot. I like Texas. It’s a good area. De’Gabriel talks about Texas. Bru McCoy likes Texas. Bryce Young likes Texas, so I might have to visit with them.”

The 6-foot-2, 185-pound defensive back from Los Angeles area powerhouse Mater Dei (Calif.) High School named LSU, Southern Cal, Alabama, Florida and Georgia as the schools pushing hardest for his services at the moment.

That could change now that he holds an offer from the Longhorns and aims to learn more about the program.

“I’m trying to find out more about the program, a little more about their defensive backs,” Ricks said. “I know they have good tradition. I remember watching the USC-Texas rivalry games.”

Ricks secured his offer during a conversation with Texas defensive backs coach Jason Washington, who praised the rising junior’s film while competing at The Opening Finals.

One topic breached was the fact that despite residing out on the West Coast, Ricks has family ties to the Lone Star State.

“I have family in Dallas, so it’s kind of close (to Austin),” Ricks said. “We talked about The Opening, how he loved how I played. I’m out here trying to work, focusing in on my technique and then after, we talked about The Opening, he offered me. We talked about how I got family out here, too, and that was good.”

Ricks is currently being pursued by a number of schools — both in- and out-of-state. He has no qualms about playing his college ball outside of California.

“I’m 100-percent open,” he stated. “Every school is the same despite area. If I got to go up to Florida, I’ll do it. Distance is not what I’m worried about.”

Ricks will trim his impressive offer sheet down to 10 come Christmas. He is tentatively planning to commit early, likely this time in 2019. After he wraps up his junior season, he’ll begin taking official visits in the spring and is targeting a July commitment date.

“I want to shut it down and focus on my senior season,” Ricks said. “I’ll get all my official visits out of the way after my junior season, then I want to commit.” – (Sam Spiegelman)

54 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB on Elias Ricks: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/07/open-post-weekend-july-6th-8th/

Hide contents

– Elias Ricks was one of a select few underclassmen competing at The Opening Finals the past week. He was named the MVP of his position group — as a Class of 2020 prospect — and received some unique news midway through the event.

Texas dished out an offer to the 5-star cornerback from California on Monday, which is an offer Ricks had quietly been anxious to pick up.

“They’ve been trying to get in contact with me for a while,” Ricks said. “(Texas commit) De’Gabriel (Floyd) has been pushing me a lot. I like Texas. It’s a good area. De’Gabriel talks about Texas. Bru McCoy likes Texas. Bryce Young likes Texas, so I might have to visit with them.”

The 6-foot-2, 185-pound defensive back from Los Angeles area powerhouse Mater Dei (Calif.) High School named LSU, Southern Cal, Alabama, Florida and Georgia as the schools pushing hardest for his services at the moment.

That could change now that he holds an offer from the Longhorns and aims to learn more about the program.

“I’m trying to find out more about the program, a little more about their defensive backs,” Ricks said. “I know they have good tradition. I remember watching the USC-Texas rivalry games.”

Ricks secured his offer during a conversation with Texas defensive backs coach Jason Washington, who praised the rising junior’s film while competing at The Opening Finals.

One topic breached was the fact that despite residing out on the West Coast, Ricks has family ties to the Lone Star State.

“I have family in Dallas, so it’s kind of close (to Austin),” Ricks said. “We talked about The Opening, how he loved how I played. I’m out here trying to work, focusing in on my technique and then after, we talked about The Opening, he offered me. We talked about how I got family out here, too, and that was good.”

Ricks is currently being pursued by a number of schools — both in- and out-of-state. He has no qualms about playing his college ball outside of California.

“I’m 100-percent open,” he stated. “Every school is the same despite area. If I got to go up to Florida, I’ll do it. Distance is not what I’m worried about.”

Ricks will trim his impressive offer sheet down to 10 come Christmas. He is tentatively planning to commit early, likely this time in 2019. After he wraps up his junior season, he’ll begin taking official visits in the spring and is targeting a July commitment date.

“I want to shut it down and focus on my senior season,” Ricks said. “I’ll get all my official visits out of the way after my junior season, then I want to commit.” – (Sam Spiegelman)

His mama is a USC alumna.

15 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Your mom was pretty loyal to USC until she committed to me last night. I’m just saying, it’s possible.

Look, my mama passed away, I really don't get why these "your mama" jokes are bandied about outside of the west coast...where I come from, mamas are sacred.

call me whatever you wish, keep my momma out of your filthy mouth.

23 minutes ago, TrojanPrincess said:

Look, my mama passed away, I really don't get why these "your mama" jokes are bandied about outside of the west coast...where I come from, mamas are sacred.

Nothing is sacred here, Princess.

Edited by Casual Encounter

As long as your mama doesn’t keep me outta her mouth all is good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, TrojanPrincess said:

I grew up in the Bay, and "your mom" jokes are plenty popular there