Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

2 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I mean, Wright collapsed the pocket in both of those reps. I don't get how Majors looks good if he's getting pushed into the QBs backside in less than 2 seconds. Interior pressure is often more about collapsing the pocket early and forcing the QB out of the pocket than it is about the DT getting sacks. 

I hope I'm not engaging in wishful thinking, lol.  My thought is the QB might move some so long as the defender isn't blowing past Majors leaving him flailing at air, you know?  That isn't happening.  But you are correct, especially in that Barnard Wright vid.  Wright does push Majors back into the pylon even if he doesn't get past Majors.  Then again, there's the danger of wishful thinking on my part, I suppose.

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

These drills are always skewed towards the DL

They definitely are. At the same time, the consensus here seems to be that Wright sucks/isn't good and I didn't see a reason for that in those videos. Looks like he moves well enough.

Edited by satyanash

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Dorbah being 6'2'' is more the concern than his weight. He's a b-backer all the way.

We need to B-backer Dorbah then because he is one quick, pressuring, relentless defender.

Apparently Dorbah is hard to stop one-on-one - the opposing team will have to hope congestion inside will wall him off.  He pressures from the right side, he pressures from the left side.

Dorbah visited OU recently, didn't he?  Do we know if Dorbah has serious interest in the trailer trash?

9 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I mean, Wright collapsed the pocket in both of those reps. I don't get how Majors looks good if he's getting pushed into the QBs backside in less than 2 seconds. Interior pressure is often more about collapsing the pocket early and forcing the QB out of the pocket than it is about the DT getting sacks. 

Well, he keeps a low wide base, stays completely in balance, doesn't stop moving his feet, all while keeping his shoulders square to the defender. The biggest issue is that he caught or recv'd the DL instead of punching a hole in his chest. That's a trivial thing to teach compared to a lack of balance or tendency to be up or lean out. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The noise regarding rankings for Dorbah is to be ignored. He’s a b-backer at Texas and he’ll be excellent. 

I wonder if Omeire will run something better than a 4.8 today at this camp?

It’s going to be interesting to see if Texas finds a pure speed WR for the outside in this class. Is there one in-state? Doesn’t look like it. 

Quentin Johnston?

6 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Well, he keeps a low wide base, stays completely in balance, doesn't stop moving his feet, all while keeping his shoulders square to the defender. The biggest issue is that he caught or recv'd the DL instead of punching a hole in his chest. That's a trivial thing to teach compared to a lack of balance or tendency to be up or lean out. 

Yeah like I said I'm not trying to knock Majors. He got pushed back by a kid with like 80 pounds on him. Hardly an indictment of his future. 

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

We aren't signing anyone named Blayne and I don't see how Jordan would have a spot with Mookie already in the fold.

lol. Mookie is the slot. Jordan is RB2. They're pretty different players if you actually watch their film. 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

This second video of Dorbah is incredible and why he's an elite 3-4 OLB prospect (and why the services are moronic for knocking him for not having 4-3 DE measurables).  NFL teams search high and low for athletes with this combination of explosiveness, dip, and bend. Watch the quickness and then see how flat he gets to the OL, yet keeps speed and strength in his bend. There are only  handful of guys in the country each year that have all these traits.  I have no doubt Dorbah would murder the 3 cone drill, which is the drill that most correllates with successful pass rushers in the NFL.

Idk how a guy who has his production and athleticism is not  a 4 star, other than recruiting services being stupid and slaves to ideal measurables for a position Dorbah won't even play. 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

I think he might be #1 on my list

He's certainly up there. Even 11th and 12th are too low. 40th is just embarrasingly laughable. Don't worry though, 247 will fix it...after he commits to Texas. 

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

They definitely are. At the same time, the consensus here seems to be that Wright sucks/isn't good and I didn't see a reason for that in those videos. Looks like he moves well enough.

It's cuz y'all aren't projecting.  What makes evaluating a skill is you have to project where guys will be, not where they are now.  Give Majors 3 years from now and he will add 20-25 pounds of good weight and fix his technique to punch instead of drop back. Major's failure in those drills was due to easily-fixable technique. Also defending a bull rush without pads is pretty silly anyways. In 3 years, Wright will likely be heavier and slower and his one move, a bull rush, will be neutralized by most linemen. Wright's fine, and if you're a defense that wants an immobile/immovable 340 LB NT to clog up the run, he'll be good for you, but he likely won't be much else, and that type of player isn't all that valuable.That doesn't fit our system or the Big 12 in general, so he's not a take. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

lol. Mookie is the slot. Jordan is RB2. They're pretty different players if you actually watch their film. 

This second video of Dorbah is incredible and why he's an elite 3-4 OLB prospect (and why the services are moronic for knocking him for not having 4-3 DE measurables).  NFL teams search high and low for athletes with this combination of explosiveness, dip, and bend. Watch the quickness and then see how flat he gets to the OL, yet keeps speed and strength in his bend. There are only  handful of guys in the country each year that have all these traits.  I have no doubt Dorbah would murder the 3 cone drill, which is the drill that most correllates with successful pass rushers in the NFL.

Idk how a guy who has his production and athleticism is not  a 4 star, other than recruiting services being stupid and slaves to ideal measurables for a position Dorbah won't even play. 

He's certainly up there. Even 11th and 12th are too low. 40th is just embarrasingly laughable. Don't worry though, 247 will fix it...after he commits to Texas. 

It's cuz y'all aren't projecting.  What makes evaluating a skill is you have to project where guys will be, not where they are now.  Give Majors 3 years from now and he will add 20-25 pounds of good weight and fix his technique to punch instead of drop back. Major's failure in those drills was due to easily-fixable technique. Also defending a bull rush without pads is pretty silly anyways. In 3 years, Wright will likely be heavier and slower and his one move, a bull rush, will be neutralized by most linemen. Wright's fine, and if you're a defense that wants an immobile/immovable 340 LB NT to clog up the run, he'll be good for you, but he likely won't be much else, and that type of player isn't all that valuable.That doesn't fit our system or the Big 12 in general, so he's not a take. 

I never claimed to be projecting. I just said Wright won those 2 specific reps against Majors. Like I said 2x, not knocking Majors or saying anything about his future.

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

The DL has a huge advantage. Notice how Majors holds his head back which helps the defender gain leverage. That happens because Majors doesn't want to have his nose broken in fucking practice reps  It doesn't happen in a real game.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Thujone said:

He's Omenihu, only faster.

8 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Omenihu has more length than Dorbah... he was better suited to play 4i

Charles is 5 inches taller than Prince with a much bigger frame. 

Prince is currently the size of a big safety, not a potential 4i. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I never claimed to be projecting. I just said Wright won those 2 specific reps against Majors. Like I said 2x, not knocking Majors or saying anything about his future.

Well, for one I was responding to both you and the one whose username is Tanzanian for bleeding vagina.  But also you said you didn't understand how Majors looked good there. He had good form and showed good feet and balance. If he punches Wright at first instead of giving 2 yards, then he's there. It's a small technique fix, but that's why it's hard to evaluate OL in these drills and why DL have such an advantage. If an OL's technique is off at all, he gets burned. Also, Majors looks very thick in the lower half (teed this up for a Katfid joke). He's pretty much exactly what you'd want a junior in HS to look like right now. Make some small changes in technique and add 2-3 years of strength training and he's going to be a stud. 

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Well, for one I was responding to both you and the one whose username is Tanzanian for bleeding vagina.  But also you said you didn't understand how Majors looked good there. He had good form and showed good feet and balance. If he punches Wright at first instead of giving 2 yards, then he's there. It's a small technique fix, but that's why it's hard to evaluate OL in these drills and why DL have such an advantage. If an OL's technique is off at all, he gets burned. Also, Majors looks very thick in the lower half (teed this up for a Katfid joke). He's pretty much exactly what you'd want a junior in HS to look like right now. Make some small changes in technique and add 2-3 years of strength training and he's going to be a stud. 

They shouldn't allow bull rushes during these types of drills. O-lineman is too focused on outside moves because he doesn't have fellow O-linemen next to him.

15 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

lol. Mookie is the slot. Jordan is RB2. They're pretty different players if you actually watch their film

I was responding more to the analyst, Roach, who said, "Jordan is pretty open at this point, but Texas is pitching him on playing a hybrid running back/slot role". I would imagine we said the same thing to Mookie ie. jet sweeps and reverses and slot receiver.

• Like 1