Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

They probably sold him on playing the Dimitri Flowers role

This was my thought. OU has utilized a guy like Henderson better than almost any school in the country over the last 5 years, and Henderson always seemed pro-OU. It would've been good to have him in the class, but it's not much of a loss. I struggled to see him be all that useful in our O scheme. I doubt he could be a full time TE and we have too many other dynamic weapons to use him a ton as purely an H-back. 

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

This was my thought. OU has utilized a guy like Henderson better than almost any school in the country over the last 5 years, and Henderson always seemed pro-OU. It would've been good to have him in the class, but it's not much of a loss. I struggled to see him be all that useful in our O scheme. I doubt he could be a full time TE and we have too many other dynamic weapons to use him a ton as purely an H-back. 

Apparently we sold him on playing the LJH role

5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I was responding more to the analyst, Roach, who said, "Jordan is pretty open at this point, but Texas is pitching him on playing a hybrid running back/slot role". I would imagine we said the same thing to Mookie ie. jet sweeps and reverses and slot receiver.

I mean I guess but I'd say Jordan would be utilized like Whittington, while Mookie will be utilized like Jake Smith. They're overlapping skillsets but pretty different uses in this offense, so theirs easily room for both and I doubt it will be a problem to recruit both.

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Interesting. I don't see that one at all. He's not quick/dynamic enough to play that much receiver IMO. He seems to me like a guy that will play at like 6'2, 245 and I don't see any way he could make it in the slot, but oh well. 

I don't think he would make it there either, but it's probably the most tangible sell the coaching staff has for an athlete like him right now.

Odd/interesting take from Justin Wells. I think he, like Rivals, was maybe expecting Dorbah to be a bit taller/longer than 6' 2"? At the very least, 6' 2" and 210 lbs. sounds like he'll be a good linebacker/pure pass rusher even if he can't play other spots on the D-line. But it is in tweener territory.

image.png

Apparently he's also a year old for his age.

Edited by satyanash

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Odd take from Justin Wells. I think he, like Rivals, was maybe expecting Dorbah to be a bit taller/longer than 6' 2"? At the very least, 6' 2" and 210 lbs. sounds like he'll be a good B-backer even if he can't play other spots on the D-line.

The man is a walking paradox

Edited by TommyGufano
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

Odd/interesting take from Justin Wells. I think he, like Rivals, was maybe expecting Dorbah to be a bit taller/longer than 6' 2"? At the very least, 6' 2" and 210 lbs. sounds like he'll be a good B-backer/pure pass rusher even if he can't play other spots on the D-line.

image.png

I’ve seen the being a year older deal reported before, that shouldn’t matter for Texas though and obviously doesn’t with the way we are recruiting him. 

12 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Odd/interesting take from Justin Wells. I think he, like Rivals, was maybe expecting Dorbah to be a bit taller/longer than 6' 2"? At the very least, 6' 2" and 210 lbs. sounds like he'll be a good linebacker/pure pass rusher even if he can't play other spots on the D-line. But it is in tweener territory.

image.png

I don’t get people worried about his size. Von Miller is 6’3, 250 in the NFL right now. Clay Matthews was around the same. Dorbah’s size won’t be an issue at all at B-backer. 

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don’t get people worried about his size. Von Miller is 6’3, 250 in the NFL right now. Clay Matthews was around the same. Dorbah’s size won’t be an issue at all at B-backer. 

Yeah I’m not concerned either. 6’2” is plenty big as HS JR. His explosiveness looks elite. 

29 minutes ago, satyanash said:

image.png

Justin Wells is an unabashed James Sylvester super fan. I'm not surprised.  

24 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

The difference isn't that trivial, every bit of length helps when you're trying to add bulk/grapple with OTs.

With regards to Wells, he probably sees Ossai as the ideal for the position in terms of length/size, and Sylvester's measurements are closer to Ossai's. B-backer is technically supposed to be a hybrid spot, he'll have his hand in the dirt and will at times drop into pass coverage as well. Lots of roles to fill.

Edited by satyanash

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Haven't looked at his tape but is he more of a true LB or a pass rusher?

He’s about 6’4 and a little under 220. He plays with his hand in the dirt in HS. His get off is terrible, the Defensive tackles beat him off the line. I wonder if they think he’s athletic enough to play B Backer.

9 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Haven't looked at his tape but is he more of a true LB or a pass rusher?

Tape shows him playing with his hand on the ground. He doesn't look that tall in his highlights so he may be somewhat of a Dorbah clone.

Edited by Bevo

5 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I mean, Wright collapsed the pocket in both of those reps. I don't get how Majors looks good if he's getting pushed into the QBs backside in less than 2 seconds. Interior pressure is often more about collapsing the pocket early and forcing the QB out of the pocket than it is about the DT getting sacks. 

Maybe you haven't noticed, but Sam has significantly more mobility in the pocket than that cone.  

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

He's probably was bigger at his FB playing weight as a HS junior than OU's Striker was as a college upperclassman.

6 hours ago, GRHorn said:

The immediate comp that comes to mind for me is Erick Fowler.  Hope he has a better head on his shoulders. (How could he not?)

he’s an ivory coast refugee and now he’s being raised in highland park.  he has an incredible work ethic and an incredible support system.  his head is 5 star. 

and why can’t we take both him and sylvester?

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

Eaton would need some Yancy time if he comes here.  Alford looks pretty stout.

Speaking of Eaton, Chad Simmons at Rivals said he's putting in his FutureCast (Rivals CB) for Eaton to Texas. He said that it might not happen for awhile but that he thinks Eaton will choose the good guys.

11 minutes ago, futureman said:

he’s an ivory coast refugee and now he’s being raised in highland park.  he has an incredible work ethic and an incredible support system.  his head is 5 star. 

and why can’t we take both him and sylvester?

Staff isn't interested in Sylvester, for whatever reason

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The noise regarding rankings for Dorbah is to be ignored. He’s a b-backer at Texas and he’ll be excellent. 

I wonder if Omeire will run something better than a 4.8 today at this camp?

It’s going to be interesting to see if Texas finds a pure speed WR for the outside in this class. Is there one in-state? Doesn’t look like it. 

+1

Interested to see what speedsters Texas is recruiting at WR for 2020 as well.....

Fowler reminds me of something we should all be excited about. A very high percentage of five star players pan out to at least some extent. Most four star players pan out, but there is a fairly significant percentage that don’t, often because of mental issues.

Fowler was the perfect example. Strong made a ton of mistakes in selecting four stars that didn’t pan out, because he didn’t properly vet the players before giving them a slot. We are in a much better place now with Herman and staff. They will still have misses, but not nearly as bad as Strong.

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

The difference isn't that trivial, every bit of length helps when you're trying to add bulk/grapple with OTs.

With regards to Wells, he probably sees Ossai as the ideal for the position in terms of length/size, and Sylvester's measurements are closer to Ossai's. B-backer is technically supposed to be a hybrid spot, he'll have his hand in the dirt and will at times drop into pass coverage as well. Lots of roles to fill.

What difference? 6’2 and 6’3? If you’re talking about weight the. You’re just being your usual self and ignoring all reason for the sake of pessimism. He’s 210 his junior year of HS while playing basketball. He can easily play college at 235+ like both those guys did. Tyus Bowser was 6’3, 205 coming out of HS and played B-backer at an extremely high level in Orlando’s defense at 6’3, 235. Dorbah’s size is not an issue in the slightest.

and Orlando doesn’t use his b-backer much as a hand in the dirt DE tasked with taking on an OT in the run game. At most, he has his b-backer shoot a gap, which Dorbah will be fine with. He uses the b-backer more in coverage and Dorbah looks to have plenty of athleticism to drop or run over to cover a bubble screen.