LSU @ Texas Analysis: LSU Offense

sushihorn

2 hours ago, fellside said:

None of their running backs who received significant snaps averaged 5 yards a carry.  Keontay Ingram had more yards and a better ypc than any returning LSU RB.

Their best returning receiver would have been 3rd on Texas' roster last year.  He had two 100 yard games.  Everyone else on the roster would have been 4th or worse in receptions and yards for Texas.

Ehlinger had more completions, yards, touchdowns, rushing yards, higher completion percentage, and better interception percentage than Joe Burrow.

Now I see that article explaining how the reason LSU finally changed their scheme was due to their offensive line's inability to protect the QB.

I keep hearing that LSU has a talent advantage at every position.  Clearly they don't have anything close to Texas' returning offensive production.  Then one considers that Texas has the advantage of entering the third season with the same quarterback running the same system, assisted by coaches who have more than a decade of experience running that specific system.  LSU on the other hand is entering its first season running a system implemented by a coordinator and a receivers coach with zero years experience running that specific system.  That's not even mentioning that the inexperienced defense they will be facing will be more familiar with the spread concept LSU is running than the very LSU players attempting to execute it.

This is an accurate summation, but it fails to account for "Nuh-uh, 'cuz SEC!"

• Like 2

Better or worse? Previewing LSU's offense in 2019

I think the biggest factor for LSU besides how effectively they install their new offense is their OL. Apparently injuries was a problem for them last season. Sorting that out alone should improve their offense noticeably. I don't know that we'll get much of a look at the new offense in their first game. Would think they will play vanilla and just romp on Georgia Southern.

Brady: “This might not be the right terminology, but my head has always been where my butt is."

It may not be the right terminology. Damn I hope he communicates just like that to the team. They'd be so bewildered at what they just heard they couldn't possibly pay attention to the rest of it. 

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 2:44 PM, DaggerHorns said:

Ok, let’s see who has had better careers.

Collin Johnson > Justin Jefferson

Keontay Ingram > Clyde Edwards-Helaire

Keontay is young too.

That shit you’re smoking from Louisiana is good.

horns return two of top six WRs. LSU returns top six. I take the tigers any day. much harder to defend six than two

• Fuck You 5

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:29 AM, sushihorn said:

In the spring game LSU was 55% run instead of the 60% they averaged last year.  The only thing that really looked different was they threw to the backs a bit more.

that's about the same breakdown for ut right? 55% run 45% pass?

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 12:51 PM, Tex Long said:

All things considered, it comes down to our being noticeably better on O, not much dropoff on D and possibly better, and we be playing at home,

versus   

their being in a first-game situation with their reverse-MackBrown-2010 offensive deployment  (unless they have to show the candy against Jawja Southern, which is possible, as that fine school had a similar opening game against another sec-also-ran and were narrowly defeated by five or six touchdowns by the othah tigahs) - the new, improved O is supposedly going to be a lot more like XII spreads than like sec ground-n-pound (but ask Charlie how his new, improved spread looked in South Bend), an LSU D that's probably going to be as good as 2018's D, but... playing on the road.

For me, the likelihood - as of today, 27 July 2019 - is that Texas' O v LSU's D is more in our favor than LSU's O v Texas' D (at least partly because LSU's new O - if they actually execute it - will be the same stuff Texas sees every. fucking. week. in the XII, only not quite as good). Plus LSU not so good away from home. Total: Texas gets a W. 

Subjective followup: LSU claims they got fucked by refs, in Texas, again. 

YMMV.

EDIT: You know what I'd really like to see? Let's wear the Storm Troopers and make them wear their ugly-as-fuck Purple Mardi Gras outfits that they almost never wear unless they visit someone who makes them dress that way...

You really see the texas "O" having an advantage against the tiger "D". Can you please explain that to this dumb old Cajun from down the bayou. make sure you type real slow so I can keep up. OK.

• Fuck You 5

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 6:27 PM, DaggerHorns said:

Thank you for introducing Whittington. He too is also better.

On the offensive side of the ball, the fastest guy on the field will be Jake Smith.

We’re going to run through you like spicy gumbo served at a retirement home.

Burrow can go bleaux a crawfish.

Guarantee you Kary Vincent and Derick Stingly can run stride for stride with that boy.

• Fuck You 1

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:02 AM, sushihorn said:

LSU's very large WR Stephen Sullivan has been moved to TE.  This seems like mostly semantics since their OC is talking about flexing him out so Sullivan may still be a slot receiver functionally speaking.  They have to replace a lot of production that Moreau gave them last year.  Technically speaking this may help but doesn't create the same scheme issues.

Moreau was wasted in passing game. LSU had five WRs with more reception yardage.

37 minutes ago, 167back said:

In the spring game LSU was 55% run instead of the 60% they averaged last year.  The only thing that really looked different was they threw to the backs a bit more.

Per the link I posted above and here again: EVERYTHING Joe Brady said about LSU's new offense

“In the spring, we were being very generic with what we were doing. Equate it to the college 100 or 200 (class) levels. We didn’t want to put a lot on the guys in such a short period of time." - Joe Brady

Edited by sith_horn
Top quote is by sushihorn, not 167back.

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 5:18 PM, TheKid said:

LSU won because of turnovers and a bad game overall from overrated ass Fromm. Texas dominated Georgia the whole game and gave up 14 points playing prevent defense 

LSU won because of a bad game by fromm and turnovers. This was VS ut.  first quarter bulldog punter catches snap with knee on ground at own 22. uga fumbles somewhere around their own 30, was it. uga punter shanks one out at midfield. This was all in the first quarter. BUT LSU won it's game vs the dawgs because fromm had a bad game. FYI LSU was the only "D" in SEC to hold opponents to under a 50% completion rate for the season. Could it be that had something to do with fromm's bad game?

Edited by 167back

52 minutes ago, 167back said:

horns return two of top six WRs. LSU returns top six. I take the tigers any day. much harder to defend six than two

You either can't read a stat sheet or can't read a roster.  I suppose we should be applauding the fact that you can read at all.  After all the amazing about a dancing bear isn't that it dances so badly but rather the fact that it dances at all.

Texas returns 2 of the top 3 WRs: Johnson and Duvernay with LJH going pro.  They also return 2 of the next 3 WRs: Moore and Eagles were both True Freshmen last year while Jerrod Heard graduated.  So your numbers are only wrong by 100%.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, 167back said:

LSU won because of a bad game by fromm and turnovers. This was VS ut.  first quarter bulldog punter catches snap with knee on ground at own 22. uga fumbles somewhere around their own 30, was it. uga punter shanks one out at midfield. This was all in the first quarter. BUT LSU won it's game vs the dawgs because fromm had a bad game. FYI LSU was the only "D" in SEC to hold opponents to under a 50% completion rate for the season. Could it be that had something to do with fromm's bad game?

C2zPWLoUAAEMthz.jpg

35 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

You either can't read a stat sheet or can't read a roster.  I suppose we should be applauding the fact that you can read at all.  After all the amazing about a dancing bear isn't that it dances so badly but rather the fact that it dances at all.

Texas returns 2 of the top 3 WRs: Johnson and Duvernay with LJH going pro.  They also return 2 of the next 3 WRs: Moore and Eagles were both True Freshmen last year while Jerrod Heard graduated.  So your numbers are only wrong by 100%.

so a WR that caught seven passes last year was actually one of top six on '18 roster? and a WR that had ONE catch on the season was also in the two deep ? Your starting four WRs played almost every snap or #5 and #6 just weren't good enough to get open?? Inquiring minds want to know. We have five of the top six covered. Who was the fourth WR?

12 minutes ago, 167back said:

so a WR that caught seven passes last year was actually one of top six on '18 roster? and a WR that had ONE catch on the season was also in the two deep ? Your starting four WRs played almost every snap or #5 and #6 just weren't good enough to get open?? Inquiring minds want to know. We have five of the top six covered. Who was the fourth WR?

You know you're going to get banned right?

It's not a matter of if but when. 

There are other Geaux here. Even aggy.

You are doing yourself no favors. 

Sit down and shut up. 

25 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

You know you're going to get banned right?

It's not a matter of if but when. 

There are other Geaux here. Even aggy.

You are doing yourself no favors. 

Sit down and shut up. 

For what. I'm not the one doing a bunch of cussing. Degrading ut fans.  I'm just responding to what UT fans are posting on here. If I see some wrong info about LSU I try to correct it. If I see something about the horns I don't know I ask questions. Brother don't ever go on the SEC rant if you can't handle this. Better yet please all you UT fans venture onto SEC rant or tiger droppings. We would love to have you.

• Fuck You 4

26 minutes ago, 167back said:

For what. I'm not the one doing a bunch of cussing. Degrading ut fans.  I'm just responding to what UT fans are posting on here. If I see some wrong info about LSU I try to correct it. If I see something about the horns I don't know I ask questions. Brother don't ever go on the SEC rant if you can't handle this. Better yet please all you UT fans venture onto SEC rant or tiger droppings. We would love to have you.

Do the big bad cuss words hurt your little feelings? It must really suck to be you. This community is built on the ideals of freedom of ideas and the sharing of thought. There is a way to do this that doesn't get you banned, then there is the way you are doing it.

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

12 of the 18 completions were in the ultra-short zone.  5 were clearly behind the line.  All of those should have been in front of the defender.  Of the other 6 completed passes, 3 were short (6-10 yds), 2 intermediate (11 and 16 yds) and one long (35 yds).  Average completion was 5 yds past the LOS.  YAC against simple, static scheme and inferior athletes seems to have accounted for approximately half the passing yardage.  It definitely helped that GSU couldn't get any pressure (zero sacks and QBH).

What is interesting to me is that what was already a mediocre LSU running game last season managed to look worse against such a weak opponent.  3.7 YPC when there were no sacks to distort the average is not good.  That's doubly true where the opponent makes no special effort to stop the run.  After watching the game, it's clear that the OL still has a serious problem giving up penetration.  LSU surrendered 7 TFLs and they are fortunate that the number was so low. 

GSU defenders were in the backfield repeatedly.  They just weren't athletic enough to finish the play in many cases.  The number of TFLs could easily have been double against a better defense.  LSU's OL were also pretty poor trying to pick off defenders in space in the screen game.  The WRs did a much better job blocking on the perimeter than the linemen.

Haven't watched the LSU game and won't, but the first paragraph isn't exactly a cause for confidence for Texas fans. Secondary tackling was poor vs LA Tech, even on short passes, and pass rush from the front four was borderline non-existent. Blitzes were a mixed bag. Yes, I'm sure Orlando has some more exotic looks up his sleeve for LSU, but when you're relying almostexclusively on DB blitzes for pressure your coverage situation gets pretty dicey. While LSU may have feasted on the short pass and clean pocket to inflate their numbers vs GSU, I didn't see a whole lot out of Texas on Saturday that tells me that strategy won't work for them again. The best hope is that most of LA Tech's passing yardage came in the second half, with the game well in hand and Texas rotating in some second team guys. Those issues still existed in the first half though, and they were there in the second half despite LA Tech being completely one dimensional.

The second part jumped out at me when looking at the stats. I don't care what the scheme is, LSU shouldn't be sub-4.0 ypc vs GA Southern. That lends credence to the idea that LSU's OL is not well suited to pave the way for a spread running game, which puts a premium on agile OL. If LSU is going to be fairly inefficient running the ball again this year, Texas could nullify the disadvantage of its secondary weakness by being able to control the running game with the DL rotation, thereby creating a numbers advantage on the back end.

Edited by gmr548

30 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Playing a really bad opponent makes it difficult to draw any but the most elementary conclusions.  FCS Georgia Southern fits that description to a T.  Poor, one-dimensional offense led to short drives ending in punt or turnover.  Consequently LSU was on a short field all night.  GSU's defense was in a 2 high safety look with 5-6 man box most of the night.  Usually that's an invitation to run.  It also makes it difficult to disguise blitzes and coverage schemes.

LSU generally used about half of the 40 second play clock.  That is definitely faster than last year.  It may give some SEC opponents difficulty but it's old hat to Orlando.  That's a standard to slow pace in the Big XII.  The replay video missed the first drive but of Burrow's 21 pass attempts I saw, he completed 18 of them. I frankly didn't believe the stat line when I saw 24 of 27 but it makes a lot more sense on viewing.  What I saw was dominated by ultra-short pass completions (5 yards or less) with many of them behind the LOS.

12 of the 18 completions were in the ultra-short zone.  5 were clearly behind the line.  All of those should have been in front of the defender.  Of the other 6 completed passes, 3 were short (6-10 yds), 2 intermediate (11 and 16 yds) and one long (35 yds).  Average completion was 5 yds past the LOS.  YAC against simple, static scheme and inferior athletes seems to have accounted for approximately half the passing yardage.  It definitely helped that GSU couldn't get any pressure (zero sacks and QBH).

What is interesting to me is that what was already a mediocre LSU running game last season managed to look worse against such a weak opponent.  3.7 YPC when there were no sacks to distort the average is not good.  That's doubly true where the opponent makes no special effort to stop the run.  After watching the game, it's clear that the OL still has a serious problem giving up penetration.  LSU surrendered 7 TFLs and they are fortunate that the number was so low. 

GSU defenders were in the backfield repeatedly.  They just weren't athletic enough to finish the play in many cases.  The number of TFLs could easily have been double against a better defense.  LSU's OL were also pretty poor trying to pick off defenders in space in the screen game.  The WRs did a much better job blocking on the perimeter than the linemen.

Pluses: Burrow showed good accuracy even if the passes were mostly very easy.  He got the ball out quickly 70-75% of the time.  No sacks and very little pressure allowed.  Only 2 drops by the WRs.

Minuses: No consistent running game.  OL still looked slow and could not keep defenders out of gaps.  Not really tested or challenged since week 1 opponent was terribad.

Conclusion: Burrow was very accurate throwing short passes to initial pre-snap reads or short check downs with 4-5 seconds in the pocket and minimal pressure.  He's still hit or miss on intermediate to long balls.  He won't have many clear reads next week.  I doubt he'll have anywhere near that amount of time or protection either.  Not being tested yet, we have no idea if that accuracy will hold up when screens don't get it done or he has a defender in his face.  A lot of the bubble screens and short hitches will get stopped on the spot by better defenses.  Throwing the ball a bunch against a bad defense that has no ability to turn you over or create negative plays is low risk.  It often translates poorly against good defenses,  Just ask Mike Leach.

I have even less concern about LSU's running game now than before week 1.  An FCS team stopped them pretty well just playing an honest box.  That's a lot worse than the bowl game where a G5 defense had to load the box to achieve a slightly better result (against the run at least).  I can see Texas playing a lot of dime with a 5 man box (3-2) and 2 overhangs

We will definitely miss Boyd and Davis this game. They were excellent at shutting down the WR screen game.  We need Green and whoever the other CB is to step up in taking on blocks and tackling. On the bright side, LSU did a lot of 4 wide (sometimes flex TE was the 4th) and ran a lot of WR screens out of trips. If they do that, then guys like Foster and Brown will be able to make a play on the WR screens and every WR in the country will struggle to block those guys on that kind of play.

If I’m Orlando, I do the opposite of LA Tech (and many other opponents last year), and I get even numbers outside to shut down the short passing game and make LSU beat me with running it in between the tackles and deeper passes.

Like sushihorn said, their OL missed a lot of blocks, and I think they’ll struggle quite a bit with Orlando’s stunting scheme. I doubt LSU’s OL can sustain drives with the run game. They’re going to have too many TFLs for that. Taking away Burrow’s quick reads will cause him to run by keeping on the RPO or make LSU throw it deep, where we can test their OL’s pass blocking. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

If I’m Orlando, I do the opposite of LA Tech (and many other opponents last year), and I get even numbers outside to shut down the short passing game and make LSU beat me with running it in between the tackles and deeper passes.

I'd say it's almost a given that this has been what he's been prepping for at least 6 months to do anyway, without having even seen the week 1 film.

It's really the only thing that makes sense from an LSU perspective -- relying on the quick passing game to their big outside guys. And you can be pretty sure if a meadoker football mind like mine can see that, Orlando has been all up on it from the get-go.

6 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I'd say it's almost a given that this has been what he's been prepping for at least 6 months to do anyway, without having even seen the week 1 film.

It's really the only thing that makes sense from an LSU perspective -- relying on the quick passing game to their big outside guys. And you can be pretty sure if a meadoker football mind like mine can see that, Orlando has been all up on it from the get-go.

Hopefully. Orlando has killed us in games before by doing the opposite and giving teams an automatic 5 yards every play based solely on alignment. 

I certainly don’t view it as a given. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

Just now, TornACL said:

All this talk about LSU's passing game makes me think they'll okie doke and run three straight times out of the shotgun on their first drive. 

Please, oh please, oh please let them do this. I am uncertain about a great number of things in this game, but the one thing I feel extremely confident about is the idea that LSU is not going to be able to run.

LSU's first day of practice this week, the OL are apparently learning to dance.

CBs appear to at least be doing something that actually translates to football, but for the opening of a hyped up week of practice, these guys seem pretty mellow.

My conclusion after watching these clips is that I am a little too obsessed with college football, if I'm taking time to watch warm up drills like this.

• Like 3