UCLA @ Cincinnati

Sbbruin

5 minutes ago, LTbear said:

Is this a well-known thing? I hadn't heard it about Chip (not that I've ever really followed the guy), but several posters here are saying this.

Yup. He didn't like it at Oregon, but they have a whole system apart from the head coach. At UCLA he was losing Long Beach Poly kids to fucking Kansas State last year, and an LB offer decided to walk on at Washington. It's real bad.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2018/10/5/17937046/ucla-signing-day-recruiting-chip-kelly

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

This line has shifted so much that I’m about to put some money down on UCLA, which almost certainly means you guys are going to have a rough night. I apologize in advance.

I’m sorry @Sbbruin. I take full responsibility.

On a different note, never bet on a chip Kelly led team. Ever. Under any circumstances. 

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Yup. He didn't like it at Oregon, but they have a whole system apart from the head coach. At UCLA he was losing Long Beach Poly kids to fucking Kansas State last year, it's real bad.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2018/10/5/17937046/ucla-signing-day-recruiting-chip-kelly

Well damn. 

I was going to try to console you with the reminder that Texas got better last year after losing to Maryland for the second straight year. But then I read the part about Chip not likening recruiting.

So, yeah, you guys are proper fucked. At least you have a nice campus.

4 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

Per 247, 40th ranked class, .8569 average. What makes you think he can't win titles with guys like that?

Right behind Virginia & Indiana. I dunno man that seems like a winning combo to me. Looking forward to see 2020 is currently sitting at 66th behind Western Michigan, Temple, Toledo, La Tech, and UNT...so you know right where they want to be.

8 hours ago, texifornia said:

Yup. He didn't like it at Oregon, but they have a whole system apart from the head coach. At UCLA he was losing Long Beach Poly kids to fucking Kansas State last year, and an LB offer decided to walk on at Washington. It's real bad.

This is the equivalent of malpractice. There is no excuse for putting last night's shit stain on the field when you are a top tier school like UCLA.  They have every fucking CA recruiting advantage, location, education...  and they were beat soundly by a second tier school from Ohio. And it wasn't just bad QB play, they were beaten across the board.

No disrespect to Cincy, seemingly well coached with kids that play hard.  I'm just baffled at UCLA.  OK, they went through Neuhiesel, Mora and now Kelly - shitty coaches that (ahem) a few other programs have had to go through to find the right coach.  But those programs still recruited relatively well during those transitions. 

As I said, I'm baffled (like that word).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

This is the equivalent of malpractice. There is no excuse for putting last night's shit stain on the field when you are a top tier school like UCLA.  They have every fucking CA recruiting advantage, location, education...  and they were beat soundly by a second tier school from Ohio. And it wasn't just bad QB play, they were beaten across the board.

No disrespect to Cincy, seemingly well coached with kids that play hard.  I'm just baffled at UCLA.  OK, they went through Neuhiesel, Mora and now Kelly - shitty coaches that (ahem) a few other programs have had to go through to find the right coach.  But those programs still recruited relatively well during those transitions. 

They've had the same advantages forever.  But, basketball school syndrome

30 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

You realize that UCLA has never won a national championship right?  And that there are 9 other Pac-12 teams that have more wins right?  UCLA hasn't done anything in football,  basically, ever.

Fresno fucking State has more fucking wins....Tulsa has more fucking wins....

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

You realize that UCLA has never won a national championship right?  And that there are 9 other Pac-12 teams that have more wins right?  UCLA hasn't done anything in football,  basically, ever.

Fresno fucking State has more fucking wins....Tulsa has more fucking wins....

yes, so what's your point

2 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

It’s a conundrum. 

7 hours ago, flatdawgs said:

UCLA was the UPI poll national champion in 1954 (Ohio State was the AP's champion).

UCLA was undefeated in 1954 but back then they had a rule that no teams could play in the Rose Bowl in consecutive years. Since UCLA played in the Rose Bowl the previous year (losing 28-20 to Michigan State), 8-3 USC was given the nod to face Ohio State (also undefeated) in a game the Trojans lost 20-7, thus resulting in a split national championship. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

Say what you will about Mora, but he routinely put together top 10-15 classes.  If he hadn’t gone through a brutal divorce (his own doing as he cheated on his wife), he could have real,y turned things around.  As it is, he got a lot of money donated to the program.  But yes, there is no reason we shouldn’t be recruiting at a top 10 level every year.  Pisses all of us off.  

11 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

You're talking about them as if they were football royalty with some expectations of winning regularly

Now that I'm slightly more sober figured I'd circle back on this...

I didn't imply they were royalty, just that they have every advantage to recruit 10-15 (as noted above) nationally and put a quality product on the field every year.  What I'm seeing the last couple of years is fucking awful, and it is, indeed, a conundrum.

I think of UCLA like Sneaky Bigs, a chick with really nice tits that aren't readily apparent under the sweater.  Competitive in the PAC, make it to the Rose Bowl now and then and kick the shit out of a favored B10 team, put out a Heisman QB here and there.  Those days seem far distant. 

34 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

It is quite amazing that football has never really been successful there especially when you consider how fucking many NC's they've won in other sports.

Their administration pretty openly sort of wishes the football team would go away. It's such a basketball school at heart.

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

Their administration pretty openly sort of wishes the football team would go away. It's such a basketball school at heart.

3 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

It is quite amazing that football has never really been successful there especially when you consider how fucking many NC's they've won in other sports.

A hostile admin, success in other sports, underachievement, fickle fan base... It's a California thing.

At least UCLA went for broke when it hired Kelly. I'm not sold that he's a flame-out just yet, but the school should be able to go out and get another good name if he moves on. In contrast, the next flashy hire Cal makes will be the first.