Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

On 6/9/2021 at 11:03 AM, victory88 said:

That all gas no brakes set up looks like it should be in some shitty high school prom.  The fuck are they thinking?  

I really disliked Tom Herman but he at least got the ball rolling on facilities, locker room, and media.  Bring back those white lights, that shit was way better.

sucks being old 

Gerry this AM

• A few morning thoughts on recruiting from the weekend (so far)

As many know, Steve Sarkisian took in a few innings of the baseball game last night. He, his wife Loreal, Chris Del Conte and Governor Abbott were together for most of that time in one of the suites. Sarkisian was a happy coach last night that had a feeling of successful weekend. Governor Abbott knows his recruiting by the way. Was asking questions about specific prospects on campus.

It’s was a theme at Clemson last weekend, and Texas this weekend… How tall is Arch Manning, and what does his frame look like in person? Just like the Clemson staff and media found out, Arch has filled out nicely and is over 6-foot-3, and closing in on 210-pounds. Without the hand shake or official measurement, betting Arch has around 9.5-inch mitts.

Harris Sewell (Odessa Permian) has a terrific build for an offensive guard prospect. He has enough arm length to be coveted by the blue bloods, broad shoulders to go with it, along with an athletic guard look about him. Going to be powerful with elite initial movement skills and knee bend at his size and position. Rolled up in a Texas shirt.

Dalton Brooks (Shiner High) continues to be one of my favorite prospects in the 2023 class. Yes, he can play either safety or wide receiver at the next level. He’s that gifted as a player and prospect. He’s not a guy locked into one side of the ball from an evaluation standpoint. Physically, he hasn’t even scratched the surface. This dude will be 6-foot-2, 195-200-pounds with burst and COD for that size. Elite prospect.

Your 2023 top ranked DB’s all have the ability to develop wiry strong frames with long arms blue bloods covet … Javien Toviano, Ryan Yaites, etc…

You know how some prospects just look fast/athletic? That’s is Ashton Cozart, especially at his size and age. Very good Q Angle.

Have heard nothing but very positive reviews from the prospect and parent experience Saturday. The only negative overheard was parking for parents of campers.

When at these events, you can observe a Texas staff member show hustle and interact with parents and prospects. Shawn Lewis is an impressive member of the staff.

Roach

Spoiler

— I mentioned on the board that I was told things had gone well with Arch Manning so far. A source I spoke with said they were very impressed with the entire Texas approach and can tell that the Longhorns are prioritizing him above anyone else. Manning spent the evening with a few players and made his way over to the baseball game with Steve Sarkisian. I was told Sam Ehlinger even stopped by while at the game to talk with Manning. The Longhorns have orchestrated an almost pitch-perfect weekend to this point on the recruiting front, and that's certainly no accident. I left New Orleans a month ago thinking Texas could be a definite big-time player in this recruitment. I left Austin this afternoon thinking that other schools should be very worried about the work the Longhorns have done thus far. I still think it's far too early to talk about leaders, but I'm not sure Texas is taking a backseat to anyone.

— Johntay Cook is likely going to take the long road in his recruitment and stretch it out as long as possible. That said, I really love where Texas is with him right now. At times today, it seemed like Cook was one of the ringleaders of the trip. I've talked about how Texas has an advantage with Chris Gilbert's long friendship with Cook's father and the fact that the offense is suited for a playmaker of his ability. It certainly matters that he talked about the possibilities of playing with Arch and Owens at the next level. Building that consensus now is vital to putting together a core group.

— I was interested to see where things stood Javien Toviano after he made a few other visits, and I think Texas still remains as an incredibly strong player for him. Toviano talked about how the vibe at Texas was different than anywhere else, and he does have several voices in his ear including Morice Blackwell and Trevell Johnson. I thought something could happen with him this summer, but it wouldn't surprise if he slowed his pace down a bit.

— I think the Longhorns also blew away 2023 cornerbacks Jayvon Thomas and Deldrick Madison. Both South Dallas prospects were all smiles talking to us after the event and they were amazed by everything Texas had to offer. For both of those guys, it was their first-ever recruiting visit and Texas set a high bar.

• Hook 'Em 2

(CJ Vogel) Notes From Texas’ Loaded Elite Junior Day

Spoiler

It was an absolutely loaded day for the Longhorns as many of the best 2023 kids across the state of Texas made their way down to Austin and enjoyed a day with Steve Sarkisian and the Longhorn staff. I have plenty of notes that I will divulge into during the week, but for now, here are the biggest takeaways from this afternoon.

5-Star QB Arch Manning

It appeared to me that highly coveted five star QB Arch Manning received the red carpet treatment today from the Longhorns. Manning is a very lowkey and private recruit so he will never say it publicly, but I believe the Longhorns made a very good impression today. I also heard that though this was his first trip to Austin since the dead period ended, this was not his first trip to Austin. Manning is familiar with the city, is a fan of Sarkisian and is establishing strong connections with elite recruits across the state.

4-Star WR Johntay Cook

I’ll preface the Cook paragraph with this – if Cook does not end up a Longhorn, I’ll find a new profession. I think Texas is doing a tremendous job in his recruitment. Cook was able to connect with Manning as I posted earlier Saturday morning, and the connection between him and Rueben Owens is building nicely.

5-Star RB Rueben Owens II

The lone Texas commit had a great time in Austin this week. It was his second time on campus this week and he is building a very firm relationship with the staff. Owens has made it rather public that he is still hoping to visit the big schools across the country, though he added that he believes Texas can win a National Championship with the talent that was on campus today and wants to be a big recruiter for the Longhorns in the 2023 class.

4-Star CB Javien Toviano

I am of the belief that Texas is in a very good position for the elite Arlington Martin cornerback. Toviano is one of the best cornerback prospects in the country and has been high on the Longhorns since the beginning of his recruitment. He told me he plans to return to Austin for another UOV in two weeks.

4-Star DE Anthony James

The Texas A&M commit was on campus and I am told he had himself a great time. James, though he is committed to the Aggies, is going to be taking visits and enjoyed the trip to Austin. How much the Longhorns will push for a flip has yet to be seen, though there is a long time for them to get back into this one should they push.

4-Star CB Deldrick Madison

The Duncanville prospect has not been big on the Texas scene so far, though I expect that to change in the upcoming months. Madison said he enjoyed speaking with Terry Joseph about scheme fit and generally getting to know him. I would keep an eye on Madison.

4-Star S Dalton Brooks

The elite Shiner prospect was with his brother this weekend on their unofficial to Austin. The two were able to explore the city amongst themselves for the most part, but made the necessary connections with the coaching staff and other recruits. I believe Texas is in a good position early on here.

4-Star WR Carnell Tate

I heard from a source that the IMG Academy WR is legit. I’ll connect with him later this week regarding the overall visit, but the first impression of him as an athlete was very high.

5-Star LB Anthony Hill Jr.

I mentioned it earlier in the week, but Texas is making things real interesting for Anthony Hill Jr. The Denton Ryan product has the ability to land wherever he wants, but Texas is doing a great job in their approach here.

4-Star Kaleb Black

Consider me a big fan of Black’s game. While the state is very thick at the WR position, I believe Black offers something special in comparison to others in the state. He came away from the camp as someone who earned big praise from others in attendance.

NOTES

From a couple sources I was able to connect with on the visit, it is night and day compared to the approach from the Tom Herman staff. Sarkisian earned significantly higher praise across the board. I will connect with a few later this week, but the early returns indicate that Texas is going to be players in big time recruitments with Sarkisian that otherwise they would not have under the last two coaching staffs.

The overall vibe from players indicates that Sark and his staff are paying really good attention to detail. Players are able to connect and relate to the staff very early in their recruitments and personally I believe it will pay off eventually.

It was a very successful weekend for Texas. I believe there are a couple commitments on the way, and that is excluding the public announcement from Anthony Jones.

On the recruiting front, it is obvious that Sark and his staff are going to pull out whatever is needed to be successful on the trail. That was very apparent with the appearances of Earl Campbell, Matthew McConnaughey, Colt McCoy, Jamaal Charles and Derrick Johnson. Whoever Texas can use to their disposal to earn stripes on the recruiting trail, they are going to use. It’s going to be different under Sark.

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Gerry this AM

• A few morning thoughts on recruiting from the weekend (so far)

As many know, Steve Sarkisian took in a few innings of the baseball game last night. He, his wife Loreal, Chris Del Conte and Governor Abbott were together for most of that time in one of the suites. Sarkisian was a happy coach last night that had a feeling of successful weekend. Governor Abbott knows his recruiting by the way. Was asking questions about specific prospects on campus.

It’s was a theme at Clemson last weekend, and Texas this weekend… How tall is Arch Manning, and what does his frame look like in person? Just like the Clemson staff and media found out, Arch has filled out nicely and is over 6-foot-3, and closing in on 210-pounds. Without the hand shake or official measurement, betting Arch has around 9.5-inch mitts.

Harris Sewell (Odessa Permian) has a terrific build for an offensive guard prospect. He has enough arm length to be coveted by the blue bloods, broad shoulders to go with it, along with an athletic guard look about him. Going to be powerful with elite initial movement skills and knee bend at his size and position. Rolled up in a Texas shirt.

Dalton Brooks (Shiner High) continues to be one of my favorite prospects in the 2023 class. Yes, he can play either safety or wide receiver at the next level. He’s that gifted as a player and prospect. He’s not a guy locked into one side of the ball from an evaluation standpoint. Physically, he hasn’t even scratched the surface. This dude will be 6-foot-2, 195-200-pounds with burst and COD for that size. Elite prospect.

Your 2023 top ranked DB’s all have the ability to develop wiry strong frames with long arms blue bloods covet … Javien Toviano, Ryan Yaites, etc…

You know how some prospects just look fast/athletic? That’s is Ashton Cozart, especially at his size and age. Very good Q Angle.

Have heard nothing but very positive reviews from the prospect and parent experience Saturday. The only negative overheard was parking for parents of campers.

When at these events, you can observe a Texas staff member show hustle and interact with parents and prospects. Shawn Lewis is an impressive member of the staff.

Some people have a foot fetish. It appears Gerry has what might be the world’s only hand fetish. 

• Haha 2

Intel from Arch Manning's Texas swing

Steve Wiltfong

Spoiler

Intel from Arch Manning's Texas swing

Steve Wiltfong

The Top247’s No. 1 quarterback in the 2023 class, Arch Manning had some fun in the Lone Star State this weekend, visiting SMU and Texas before returning home Sunday to New Orleans home.

The Isidore Newman five-star took in the Mustangs' campus on Thursday, getting an opportunity to talk football with head coach Sonny Dykes and offensive coordinator Garrett Riley. Per sources close to the Mannings, things that stood out to the Arch were small student body, the cool architecture on campus and being in a neat area in Dallas. The 6-foot-4, 200-pound Manning who also sees the prolific offense including talented receivers year in and year out that the Mustangs take the field with on Saturdays. The Manning family really hit it off with Dykes and Riley and had a good time visiting with them.

Friday afternoon, the Mannings trekked to Austin to see the Longhorns. Manning has been Zooming with head coach Steve Sarkisian and QBs coach AJ Milwee for so long it was nice to finally meet them in person. Those three have a good chemistry and have really been digging into Xs and Os during their conversations.

If you’re on the Texas campus right now, you can’t miss all the construction. The Manning family got a hard-hat tour of the new facilities, as there is a lot of excitement about the new weight room and locker room going in. The timing of that and a new indoor facility next make for a thrilling new chapter under this fresh coaching staff. Prospects in the 2022 and 2023 classes will help break in all the new bells and whistles.

Videos and pictures were all over the internet this weekend of Manning participating in camp. That’s one of the things he looks forward to the most on these visits, throwing inside the stadium, bonding with the other prospects in attendance. It’s well documented Manning has already buddied up with fellow five-star in Longhorns running back commit Rueben Owens. It sounds like he had a lot of fun with his peers.

There was a lot of energy at Texas this weekend with many of program legends on campus from Earl Campbell to Vince Young to Colt McCoy to Brian Orakpo to Michael Huff to Jamaal Charles. Matthew McConaughey was floating around. For the Manning family, it was obviously cool to see Campbell, who played with Archie Manning for a couple years with the Oilers. Look up when Campbell played with Archie Manning and you see he’s known Arch’s father Cooper for most of Cooper’s life.

Similar to the Clemson visit, Manning got to chat with players on the Texas team and ask them how they’re liking the transition under this new staff. Proximity and the similarities between Austin and New Orleans also make Texas an attractive option.

These were just the second and third college visits for Manning who looks forward to getting out and seeing more schools. He’ll go to Alabama this week and Georgia at the end of the month. Manning has mentioned in the past he looks forward to finding some weekends in the fall to check out games in-person.

• Haha 1