Iowa State vs Iowa

Al_4_ISU

It’s weird how the narrative on this game has changed. When I was in college we regularly beat Iowa and fizzled out in the Big 12. Now it seems like Campbell can’t beat them and then fucks things up in league play.

I would rather go 8-4 and lose to Iowa than go 5-7 and beat them, but fuck it’s getting old.

Also, we might have lost, but the following picture is of my Hawkeye buddy who hosted the party last night. They won, he lost
9f8d473f359cf2b3a19f4575c3429107.jpg
Hammertoe would not fuck

9 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Ouch.

Didn't get a chance to watch the game. Did not realize Iowa State had so thoroughly controlled the game. That is brutal.

I saw on Twitter that when the statistics played out the way they did, the team with ISU's statistical advantage wins 97% of the time.

We're absolutely fucking cursed in this series right now.

13 hours ago, tfoolry said:

No specific allegations whatsoever.  I've known a few ISU band members and I've heard stories about batteries, beer, hot dogs, whatever being thrown out at them, and I personally witnessed an elderly Hawk fan in Kinnick trying to take out ISU band members at the knee with his cane.

So, yeah, I don't really give a fuck if our fans harassed their band.  I'm not saying two wrongs make a right, but Barta should clean his own house before telling us to clean ours.

34 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

No specific allegations whatsoever.  I've known a few ISU band members and I've heard stories about batteries, beer, hot dogs, whatever being thrown out at them, and I personally witnessed an elderly Hawk fan in Kinnick trying to take out ISU band members at the knee with his cane.

So, yeah, I don't really give a fuck if our fans harassed their band.  I'm not saying two wrongs make a right, but Barta should clean his own house before telling us to clean ours.

If I recall correctly it was under Barta's watch that the false accusations were made against ISU staff/students of theft in the visiting (Iowa was in Ames) locker room during a game.  It ended up being a UI student or staff or something.  Point being; whether real or not this sort of thing comes up more often now and I get the sense that Barta is sowing the seeds to sever ties with ISU.  Which, personally, I have no problem with.  It was acrimonious enough to not play for 40 years and I could take another 40 year break.  Getting Nebraska or Colorado or even Missouri back on the schedule in place of Iowa would be fine by me.

48 minutes ago, SnowAggy said:

If I recall correctly it was under Barta's watch that the false accusations were made against ISU staff/students of theft in the visiting (Iowa was in Ames) locker room during a game.  It ended up being a UI student or staff or something.  Point being; whether real or not this sort of thing comes up more often now and I get the sense that Barta is sowing the seeds to sever ties with ISU.  Which, personally, I have no problem with.  It was acrimonious enough to not play for 40 years and I could take another 40 year break.  Getting Nebraska or Colorado or even Missouri back on the schedule in place of Iowa would be fine by me.

Paul Clark tweeted something to this effect last night.

If Iowa wants to run away, fine by me.  Sure, they'll have a winning streak to end it, but they're the ones that bitched out.

Honestly, taking some years off could be really fun.  Home and homes with Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Mizzou, and Illinois school, etc would be cool.  I wouldn't miss any of those road games (especially Madison).  I can only imagine how much beer would get drank at Sconnie/Clone tailgate.

1 minute ago, gecko said:

We haven't missed playing Aggy, but we have the advantage of owning score board.  

I think there are two more years of CyHawk lined up.  Which means if Iowa decides not to renew, we'll get the "final" one in Ames with a senior Brock Purdy.

I'll take those odds for lifetime "scoreboard".

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think there are two more years of CyHawk lined up.  Which means if Iowa decides not to renew, we'll get the "final" one in Ames with a senior Brock Purdy.

I'll take those odds for lifetime "scoreboard".

Doesn't Iowa have something like a 20 game advantage over ISU all time?

50 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Doesn't Iowa have something like a 20 game advantage over ISU all time?

Yup.  I'm just talking about winning the final match up, which of course is completely hypothetical at this point.  I think there would be major backlash, including the legislature getting involved, if one school tries to end it unilaterally.  Of course, we may see this as an opportunity as well.  Especially given Campbell's inability to win the game.

14 minutes ago, gecko said:

You think Purdy stays until senior year?  

Yeah.  I don't think he's big enough to get drafted early.  He's got a load of talent, but a ways to go.

Mayfield is a pretty good comp for him, physically and stylistically.  Baker's senior year of college made him a lot of fucking money.  I don't think Purdy's going to be a 1st rounder, but I think (given his position especially) it will make sense for him to stick around.  He's not even going to be 21 during his junior year.  It's not like Montgomery's situation where the clock is ticking and there's nothing you can do to raise your stock any further.

3 minutes ago, Alien Octopus said:

Did they touch them somewhere? The article does not really explain hw they were savaged?

Exactly.  That's why some are speculating this is basically the U of I's version of the Gulf of Tonkin, or the USS Maine.

They want to make the move and need an excuse, so they're just going to make one up that can't really be disproven.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

On 9/16/2019 at 6:41 PM, tfoolry said:

Story has now made it to ESPN...

"Iowa band alleges 'inappropriate actions' at ISU"

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27632218/iowa-band-alleges-inappropriate-actions-isu

What's the deal with B10 and sec teams trashing the B12 in the media right after they play at a B12 stadium??

From ESPN article:   Eric Bush, director of the Hawkeye Marching Band, said the athletic department is taking the lead on the investigation, but declined to say what happened.  "The Hawkeye Marching Band is a family," he said. "We take care of one another. While we might be saddened and shook up by the stuff that happened, we're going to continue to be a great band and provide excellent entertainment to everyone who watches.  "I don't want to give the details yet because we're still trying to figure out what happened. That's the bottom line. We're collecting information from the students and trying to figure out what events took place."

Edited by LTtxfan

4 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That or ISU will issue an apology. And possibly fire a university employee. We'll see what happens. 

Iowa has yet to make any kind of specific allegation.  Direct statement from our Athletic Director:

It’s tough to comment on this situation because all we know is that Iowa issued a press release,” Pollard said while unveiling an ambitious plan for sweeping improvements around Jack Trice Stadium, Hilton Coliseum and the Iowa State Center. “I couldn’t tell you what happened, when it happened or where it happened. No one’s been able to ascertain that information or provide it to us. What we do know is this: We do know that their band travelled here with four police officers. One from the University of Iowa and three deputies from the Polk County Sheriffs Office. And our police chief, Chief Newton, has spoke with the police chief at the University of Iowa and not one of those four officers saw anything, reported anything or, most importantly, had anybody in the band, or any of the band directors share anything with them about anything about anything that happened during the day they were here. And those four officers were with them the entire day. 

“Secondly, our band director was with their band director at the end of the night, Saturday night, and not one thing was said about any incidents that happened. I’m not here to say something didn’t happen, because I don’t know. But all we know is a press release was issued that alleges something happened. I’m assuming they wouldn’t issue the press release if something didn’t happen, but no one has said, what, or where, or when. I can assure you this: We are committed to giving people a safe environment.

At this point, I can't see anything that ISU did wrong as an institution.  Maybe some ISU fan did something shitty, but it wasn't reported to law enforcement or university officials when it happened, so they had no way of knowing or responding.  I know you have an anti-ISU hard on (or pro Big 10 which makes more sense), but there's really nothing here against ISU other than extremely vague accusations of poor fan behavior.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Iowa has yet to make any kind of specific allegation.  Direct statement from our Athletic Director:

At this point, I can't see anything that ISU did wrong as an institution.  Maybe some ISU fan did something shitty, but it wasn't reported to law enforcement or university officials when it happened, so they had no way of knowing or responding.  I know you have an anti-ISU hard on (or pro Big 10 which makes more sense), but there's really nothing here against ISU other than extremely vague accusations of poor fan behavior.

Yeah, ISU is taking the complete denial angle. You're a homer so you, predictably, assume Iowa is making the whole thing up. I doubt that because...why would they? They just won the game. There's nothing to gain. 

ISU, otoh, was ranked preseason. People (yourself included) were talking about them being one of the better teams in the conference. Then they struggled with UNI. Then they lost to Iowa again making Campbell 0-4 against Ferentz. And now THIS?! The total denial angle shouldn't come as too much of a surprise. 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Yeah, ISU is taking the complete denial angle. You're a homer so you, predictably, assume Iowa is making the whole thing up. I doubt that because...why would they? They just won the game. There's nothing to gain. 

ISU, otoh, was ranked preseason. People (yourself included) were talking about them being one of the better teams in the conference. Then they struggled with UNI. Then they lost to Iowa again making Campbell 0-4 against Ferentz. And now THIS?! The total denial angle shouldn't come as too much of a surprise. 

ISU has been one of the better teams in the Big 12 the past couple of years despite losing to Iowa.  We routinely struggle with UNI.

In 2015, the Hawkeyes had a bunch of shit stolen out of their locker room at Jack Trice.  They initially pointed the finger at ISU - naturally.  When the investigation was complete, it turned out it was an Iowa student that had access to the locker room.  No wrong doing by ISU at all.  So there's a precedent for Gary Barta to make vague accusations against ISU that turned out to be complete bullshit.

I may be a homer, but that also comes with a mountain of knowledge about the situation that you don't have.  I have no doubt that there were ISU fans who behaved in a terrible manner towards Iowa fans, and that shouldn't be tolerated.  But the Iowa AD has come out with a public statement about the band being mistreated and provided - and this is crucial - ABSOLUTELY NO SPECIFIC EXAMPLE OF ABUSE.  The Iowa State AD has in turn reached out to public officials, particularly the law enforcement members who provided security for the Iowa band, and they indicated that they did not observe any abuse of the Iowa band, and also stated that no one made any complaints to them.  Of course this doesn't mean that some ISU fan didn't do something inappropriate or even illegal, but it does mean that the University did every reasonable thing they could, and shouldn't be held complicit for one asshole.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Our AD met with the law enforcement dispatch that accompanied the band.

Not only did they observe nothing, no one reported anything to them.

Iowa is going to have a carton of egg on their face after this sorts out.

They will only have egg on their face with ISU fans if it's a big nothing. All anyone outside of Iowa will remember is that there were allegations of something dirty being done by ISU. Therefore guilty.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, El Diablo said:

They will only have egg on their face with ISU fans if it's a big nothing. All anyone outside of Iowa will remember is that there were allegations of something dirty being done by ISU. Therefore guilty.

Yeah, I forgot the times we live in for a moment.

My favorite is when aggy president alleged that Tech fans graffiti'd their bus and smeared it with shit. Turns out it was washable paint and stink bait. Juvenile prank for sure, but more good humored that "GRAFFITI AND SHIT SMEAR!!!" That sounded so much better to outraged aggy.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

To take the complete denial angle there would have to be something to deny. Iowa didn't make any actual accusation that could be denied. You should try reading. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 'stache said:

My favorite is when aggy president alleged that Tech fans graffiti'd their bus and smeared it with shit. Turns out it was washable paint and stink bait. Juvenile prank for sure, but more good humored that "GRAFFITI AND SHIT SMEAR!!!" That sounded so much better to outraged aggy.

This was what I was thinking about when I posted. Merely making an accusation results in a guilty verdict.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Yeah, ISU is taking the complete denial angle. You're a homer so you, predictably, assume Iowa is making the whole thing up. 

I'm sure some people are...I'm not.  But this goes back to my point about Barta and bad press for ISU.  As El Diablo rightly points out there is only a guilty verdict in the court of public opinion.  Similarly, as I'd alluded to up-thread there was a false accusation of theft previously from UI against ISU.  But really that doesn't matter; if Barta's intent is to sour UI people (and even ISU folks) on the series...this helps.  

18 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Story has now made it to ESPN...

"Iowa band alleges 'inappropriate actions' at ISU"

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27632218/iowa-band-alleges-inappropriate-actions-isu

What's the deal with B10 and sec teams trashing the B12 in the media right after they play at a B12 stadium??

From ESPN article:   Eric Bush, director of the Hawkeye Marching Band, said the athletic department is taking the lead on the investigation, but declined to say what happened.  "The Hawkeye Marching Band is a family," he said. "We take care of one another. While we might be saddened and shook up by the stuff that happened, we're going to continue to be a great band and provide excellent entertainment to everyone who watches.  "I don't want to give the details yet because we're still trying to figure out what happened. That's the bottom line. We're collecting information from the students and trying to figure out what events took place."

I missed this.

But clone is sitting pretty during a temporary positive football run.

Hawks will always rule that state.

Edited by Asithappens

1 hour ago, SnowAggy said:

I'm sure some people are...I'm not.  But this goes back to my point about Barta and bad press for ISU.  As El Diablo rightly points out there is only a guilty verdict in the court of public opinion.  Similarly, as I'd alluded to up-thread there was a false accusation of theft previously from UI against ISU.  But really that doesn't matter; if Barta's intent is to sour UI people (and even ISU folks) on the series...this helps.  

He is saving his silver bullet to seal the deal. Eyewitness accounts say that it was none other than Brock Purdy who initiated this savagery. 

• Like 1

On a different note, I had a news article on my iphone this morning telling about a kid that had a GameDay sign that said something along the lines of "Out of Busch Light- send money" with a link to paypal or some such thing.  Apparently he received several thousand dollars' worth of donations so he's giving the money to that childrens' hospital right behind the Iowa stadium.

2 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

On a different note, I had a news article on my iphone this morning telling about a kid that had a GameDay sign that said something along the lines of "Out of Busch Light- send money" with a link to paypal or some such thing.  Apparently he received several thousand dollars' worth of donations so he's giving the money to that childrens' hospital right behind the Iowa stadium.

It is amazing what people will do.

I am glad he decided to do something good with the money.

5 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

It's up to $100K and still going.

On the other topic, the two athletic departments issued a joint statement:

Both the University of Iowa and Iowa State University are committed to providing a safe environment for everyone attending events on their respective campuses. This includes members of the school’s marching bands. Unfortunately, both the Hawkeye and Cyclone marching bands have been the target of unacceptable behavior at football games in Iowa City and Ames in recent years. Some of the conduct directed at the students in our respective marching bands recently has been rude, vulgar, and in some cases, violent.  We should all feel embarrassed when students in the bands don’t feel safe when performing at an away game. Each of our athletics departments is committed to doing whatever is necessary to improve the environment for visiting school marching bands in the future. A significant part of the solution is insisting our fans help address this issue by showing more respect to our visitors. We owe it to these hardworking performers to have a safe stage on which they can showcase their spirit and talent.

21 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Our AD met with the law enforcement dispatch that accompanied the band.

Not only did they observe nothing, no one reported anything to them.

Iowa is going to have a carton of egg on their face after this sorts out.

Quite the turn around from Pollard's statement yesterday......

46 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It's up to $100K and still going.

On the other topic, the two athletic departments issued a joint statement:

I saw that too and, although the U Iowa kids hospital is a cool story, the dude is an ISU fan, was there really no super noble cause ISU or even Ames related he could have donated to? Seems weird to donate it to the rival school. If it were me in that situation, you can be damn sure I'm not donating to the OU Medical Centers cancer treatment programs when OSU has a med school in Tulsa and Tulsa has another national cancer center and a childrens hospital that would appreciate the donation.