Iowa State vs Iowa

Al_4_ISU

I saw that too and, although the U Iowa kids hospital is a cool story, the dude is an ISU fan, was there really no super noble cause ISU or even Ames related he could have donated to? Seems weird to donate it to the rival school. If it were me in that situation, you can be damn sure I'm not donating to the OU Medical Centers cancer treatment programs when OSU has a med school in Tulsa and Tulsa has another national cancer center and a childrens hospital that would appreciate the donation.

We have nothing that’s really on par with sick kids.

I thought it was a really cool gesture and way to go “above” the rivalry
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kennythetiger said:

On a different note, I had a news article on my iphone this morning telling about a kid that had a GameDay sign that said something along the lines of "Out of Busch Light- send money" with a link to paypal or some such thing.  Apparently he received several thousand dollars' worth of donations so he's giving the money to that childrens' hospital right behind the Iowa stadium.

Anheuser-Busch and Venmo to match the donations as well 

Edited by TheBryMan81

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It is?

No specifics, just an acknowledgement that someone was mean at some point in time to the Iowa band in Ames (and Iowa City too!) - something that’s no one has really denied.

Exactly. That statement is a win for Iowa State. The week started with Iowa claiming their band was harassed with no specifics. It ends with still no specifics and also Iowa apologizing for how they treat Iowa State's band. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It is?

No specifics, just an acknowledgement that someone was mean at some point in time to the Iowa band in Ames (and Iowa City too!) - something that’s no one has really denied.

I meant the tone. I could be wrong but what I read from his statement was that there were police officers with the Iowa band and nothing was reported. I took that as questioning if something actually happened. To the joint statement that acknowledged both fan bases of rival schools act like assholes. (shocker there!)  

17 hours ago, 'stache said:

I saw that too and, although the U Iowa kids hospital is a cool story, the dude is an ISU fan, was there really no super noble cause ISU or even Ames related he could have donated to? Seems weird to donate it to the rival school. If it were me in that situation, you can be damn sure I'm not donating to the OU Medical Centers cancer treatment programs when OSU has a med school in Tulsa and Tulsa has another national cancer center and a childrens hospital that would appreciate the donation.

Not sure what local option he could have gone with but guessing that it snowballed way more than he ever anticipated. He probably thought a few hundred or few thousand at the most going to help sick kids was cool, I'm guessing he had no idea it would blow up and go national. 

I actually think it's even more of a "great story" that he is putting the rivalry aside to donate to the kids hospital that treats kids from all over the state including plenty of ISU fans and families I'm sure. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JimmyHoffa said:

I meant the tone. I could be wrong but what I read from his statement was that there were police officers with the Iowa band and nothing was reported. I took that as questioning if something actually happened. To the joint statement that acknowledged both fan bases of rival schools act like assholes. (shocker there!)  

Not sure what local option he could have gone with but guessing that it snowballed way more than he ever anticipated. He probably thought a few hundred or few thousand at the most going to help sick kids was cool, I'm guessing he had no idea it would blow up and go national. 

I actually think it's even more of a "great story" that he is putting the rivalry aside to donate to the kids hospital that treats kids from all over the state including plenty of ISU fans and families I'm sure. 

I don't think he was questioning whether or not something happened, but more saying that whatever happened didn't rise to the level where the victim felt they should involve law enforcement, and more importantly, that the university didn't neglect some kind of obvious safety issue.

18 hours ago, 'stache said:

Yeah, exactly, because you know those sick kids and their parents chose their medical providers based on college football rivalries.

• Like 1

Report: Iowa reopens band abuse investigation

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27668444/report-iowa-reopens-band-abuse-investigation

"The University of Iowa is reopening its investigation into allegations of "verbal, physical and sexual abuse" toward members of the Hawkeye Marching Band at the Iowa State game on Sept. 14, according to a report.  The allegations detailed in the report by the Cedar Rapids Gazette on Friday included accounts from band members who said they experienced verbal and physical sexual harassment and assault, as well as lasting bruises from objects that were thrown. Two band members quoted in the story said one woman was sent to the hospital with fractured ribs. "

"Third-year band member Corey Knopp, 21, who plays tenor sax, told the Gazette he was among those assaulted.  "A fan shoved me out of his way as we were marching in formation back to the buses," Knopp told The Gazette. "He decided to cut through the band and shoved me out of his way. I yelled, 'Do not put your hands on me, sir,' and he yelled back, '[expletive] you.'"

"A girl's ribs are broken because of fan interaction," Knopp told the paper. "A member of the band was cornered by a number of males and was assaulted. ... We expect to be booed and the usual rivalry-game antics. But never physically and sexually assaulted."

Nathan Topping, a 19-year-old trumpet player, told the Gazette he was injured by a flying, full beer bottle that left a "nasty bruise." Paige Pearson, a junior trumpet player, told the Gazette it wasn't the students but "adult fans."

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

And still, no one has reported anything to authorities.

The area in question has cameras. Review them. If some of our fans did what’s alleged, prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law and ban them from ISU events for life. Pretty simple.

I'm on your side.  Seems like some bullshit going on...

It's becoming the worst kept secret in Iowa that some big Iowa donors have been pressuring the President and AD to get out of the CyHawk game for some time.  This band deal is becoming their USS Maine/Gulf of Tonkin Incident.  We're 9 days out and there are zero police reports, and zero specific allegations.  They've walked back the alleged sexual assault to sexual harassment.

If they want out, I don't really give a shit.  Just let the record reflect that, like Aggy (remember how I've said they're really fucking Aggy?), they were the ones who bitched out.

I'm sure someone said mean things to the band.  They might have even thrown beer, or concessions, or whatever.  That's not a reason to cancel the series.  It's a reason to maybe leave the band behind.  Also, lets not forget that all of those vaguely alleged things have happened to the Iowa State band in Iowa City.  Allegedly.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

https://whotv.com/2019/09/24/isu-addresses-claims-involving-alleged-mistreatment-of-iowa-marching-band-at-cy-hawk-game/

BANDGATE!  update...

Lotta unsubstantiated and unreported claims of meanness.  But an interesting nugget imo is where UI prez Bruce Harreld mentions ending the series.  Bruce clearly wants out. 

Oh, and by the way; with the match from Busch Light that ISU student has raised over $1MM for the Stead Family Children's Hospital on the campus of the University of Iowa...which I presume Bruce will refuse in protest.

22 hours ago, SDG said:

One incident with the band once (allegedly) and suddenly all the fans and athletes are at risk?

Why not just provide a few extra security measures for the band? Like maybe have a gate specifically for them to enter and exit if it such a threat?

And am I really supposed to believe Iowa State fans are just much more vicious and dangerous than Ohio State fans? Are you also talking about dropping out of the Big 10 and only playing Division III schools from now on?

The Shoe at night, super safe and civilized compared to the barbarians in Ames, Iowa.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, SnowAggy said:

BANDGATE!  update...

Lotta unsubstantiated and unreported claims of meanness.  But an interesting nugget imo is where UI prez Bruce Harreld mentions ending the series.  Bruce clearly wants out. 

Oh, and by the way; with the match from Busch Light that ISU student has raised over $1MM for the Stead Family Children's Hospital on the campus of the University of Iowa...which I presume Bruce will refuse in protest.

Sensitive-Posters.jpg

• Like 1

The Des Moines Register might have legitimately offed itself with that stunt.

It's too bad, it was an excellent newspaper when I was a kid.  Before Gannett bought them out.  I remember sprawling out on the living room floor with the Sunday edition, reading through all the college football box scores, and keeping tally of how close Troy Davis was to 2000 yards.